Re: well...

sludge21017 wrote:

hindesite wrote:

sludge21017 wrote:

Bangers and Mash wrote:

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

Here is a preview.

https://youtu.be/q1LqNxfHJTo

That's impressive. I couldn't get over the fact that his helmet was bobbing up and down, yet the cam was solid in view straight ahead. Even slight twists of his head didn't affect it either. What I would loved to have seen was a GoPro 7 mounted on his helmet next to the Osmo.

It would do just as well.

Of course it would, IT'S A GOPRO! (so it must be the best).

However: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-r_lmiHRT4

Oh, wow...

I already posted that. Synthetic test.

I know you did. It is almost as if you didn't watch it.

The amount of denial shown here and in this forum by GoPro fanbois is really amusing.

From "there's (practically) no difference" to "it is already good enough" to "synthetic test" or "it will be different IRL" or better still "GPH8 will be better".

-- hide signature --
sludge21017
sludge21017 Senior Member • Posts: 1,815

hmmmm

larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,864

sludge21017 wrote:

hmmmm

Weird how the comparison that Photodo did shows the DJI being better.  Glad I don't have to make a decision. 

Jonneymendoza2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,020

If my video i posted is not proof that the osmo action cam is rock stable then i dont know what else i can do to prove it lol

Bangers and Mash
OP Bangers and Mash Veteran Member • Posts: 3,000

sludge21017 wrote:

hmmmm

Hmmmm, is right!! That about sums it up for me then. I have to wonder about all the reviews I've gone through where they show the Osmo as clearly the better of the two. But in the side by side viewing, clearly the 7 wins . . . big time!! I'm glad you posted this because I was contemplating sending the 7 back to Costco and getting the Osmo. Not anymore.

My wife and I were out yesterday. I was trying to experiment with the settings for getting better stable shots for indoor lighting. I went to a mall, JC Pennys and Costco. Better results, but still not quite there. I reset the settings after to ISO 100 for outdoor shooting, and my wife took over the cam while I was driving. I kept telling her to hold the cam more steady. I figured the results would be a total mess. Anyway, I viewed all the footage after, and when viewing what she took I was totally amazed. You could see the dash of the car, along with the bugs on the windshield bobbing all over the place, yet the scene outside of the windshield was rock solid. How can that be explained? I'm really curious about that one. Perhaps tomorrow when I have time I will post some of her footage to show what I mean. This little cam ceases to amaze me in how it works.

By the way, I forgot to mention that from the video, I feel the colors are much more vibrant from the sample of the GoPro than that from the Osmo.

-- hide signature --

Critique, NOT criticize.

Bangers and Mash's gear list:Bangers and Mash's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
hindesite Veteran Member • Posts: 4,384

sludge21017 wrote:

hmmmm

From "there's (practically) no difference" to "it is already good enough" to "synthetic test" or "it will be different IRL" or better still "GPH8 will be better".

and "I managed to find ONE video that shows GoPro is better! - Ignore the rest"

Go and read the comments under the video, quite interesting...

-- hide signature --

Bangers and Mash wrote:

sludge21017 wrote:

hmmmm

Hmmmm, is right!! That about sums it up for me then. I have to wonder about all the reviews I've gone through where they show the Osmo as clearly the better of the two. But in the side by side viewing, clearly the 7 wins . . . big time!! I'm glad you posted this because I was contemplating sending the 7 back to Costco and getting the Osmo. Not anymore.

My wife and I were out yesterday. I was trying to experiment with the settings for getting better stable shots for indoor lighting. I went to a mall, JC Pennys and Costco. Better results, but still not quite there. I reset the settings after to ISO 100 for outdoor shooting, and my wife took over the cam while I was driving. I kept telling her to hold the cam more steady. I figured the results would be a total mess. Anyway, I viewed all the footage after, and when viewing what she took I was totally amazed. You could see the dash of the car, along with the bugs on the windshield bobbing all over the place, yet the scene outside of the windshield was rock solid. How can that be explained? I'm really curious about that one. Perhaps tomorrow when I have time I will post some of her footage to show what I mean. This little cam ceases to amaze me in how it works.

By the way, I forgot to mention that from the video, I feel the colors are much more vibrant from the sample of the GoPro than that from the Osmo.

So can you explain to me how my one is more stable then this video, whilst cycling i must add... You can see how rough the ride is by how much my helmet is bouncing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1LqNxfHJTo&t=186s

Adrian Tung
Adrian Tung Veteran Member • Posts: 3,710

sludge21017 wrote:

hmmmm

Interesting to note that this comparison was taken in 4k 60fps. I wonder what settings were used in other comparison videos?

Adrian Tung's gear list:Adrian Tung's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus Tough TG-870 Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +12 more

Adrian Tung wrote:

sludge21017 wrote:

hmmmm

Interesting to note that this comparison was taken in 4k 60fps. I wonder what settings were used in other comparison videos?

Mine was at 4k 30fps.

I can try 4k 60fps if you like?

Bangers and Mash

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

Bangers and Mash wrote:

sludge21017 wrote:

hmmmm

So can you explain to me how my one is more stable then this video, whilst cycling i must add... You can see how rough the ride is by how much my helmet is bouncing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1LqNxfHJTo&t=186s

Yes, I saw that very video. I was indeed amazed by the results. I honestly wish i could explain. The results from my GoPro that my wife took inside the car are somewhat like your video. You see your helmet bobbing here and there, yet what was filmed in front was rock solid. The very same with what my wife shot. The dash board of the car, and even the bugs on the windshield bobbed around in unison, yet what was shot outside the windshield was rock solid. It's interesting similar technology of both. Love to know how it is done.

-- hide signature --

Critique, NOT criticize.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more

Bangers and Mash wrote:

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

Bangers and Mash wrote:

sludge21017 wrote:

hmmmm

Yes, I saw that very video. I was indeed amazed by the results. I honestly wish i could explain. The results from my GoPro that my wife took inside the car are somewhat like your video. You see your helmet bobbing here and there, yet what was filmed in front was rock solid. The very same with what my wife shot. The dash board of the car, and even the bugs on the windshield bobbed around in unison, yet what was shot outside the windshield was rock solid. It's interesting similar technology of both. Love to know how it is done.

The thing is, the go pro 7 already have class leading stabilisation? i think the osmo just took the crown but only a bit.

You cant go wrong with either

Bangers and Mash

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

Adrian Tung wrote:

sludge21017 wrote:

hmmmm

Mine was at 4k 30fps.

I can try 4k 60fps if you like?

I have a question. Until I get a means of editing and displaying 4K video, I am using 1080p. Would there show a difference using 1080p, say in 60fps?

-- hide signature --

Critique, NOT criticize.

What do you mean?

I will test at 4k 60fps mate today in a couple of hours when i ride to football. stay tuned mate

Bangers and Mash

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

What do you mean?

I will test at 4k 60fps mate today in a couple of hours when i ride to football. stay tuned mate

I was wondering how the two cams fared shooting at 1080p 60fps side by side.

-- hide signature --

Critique, NOT criticize.

Bangers and Mash wrote:

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

What do you mean?

I was wondering how the two cams fared shooting at 1080p 60fps side by side.

Well i dont have go pro 7

Bangers and Mash

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

Bangers and Mash wrote:

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

Bangers and Mash wrote:

sludge21017 wrote:

hmmmm

The thing is, the go pro 7 already have class leading stabilisation? i think the osmo just took the crown but only a bit.

You cant go wrong with either

Yes, i do agree. Both do very well. What I would love to see is how the Osmo deals with low light shooting. I have issues with the GoPro 7. No matter the settings shooting indoor video, I get some jiggles (can't think of a better word) in the video. It's sort of like the effect if someone slightly bumped the cam while shooting. How does the Osmo fare? If I see that the Osmo outshine the GoPro in that department with rock steady video, minus the jiggles, then I will seriously think about switching out the cams. I still have a month and a half to return the GoPro.

-- hide signature --

Critique, NOT criticize.

larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,864

Bangers and Mash wrote:

My Sony X3000 and Hero 7 do the same thing.  With the Sony, it's the car that's jostling and the camera's stabilizer is countering it so you end up seeing the car moving up and down.  Same with the Hero because I think it uses its internal accelerometer as well as visual analysis to determine the camera's motion and how to counter it.

Bangers and Mash

larsbc wrote:

Bangers and Mash wrote:

My Sony X3000 and Hero 7 do the same thing. With the Sony, it's the car that's jostling and the camera's stabilizer is countering it so you end up seeing the car moving up and down. Same with the Hero because I think it uses its internal accelerometer as well as visual analysis to determine the camera's motion and how to counter it.

Interesting analogy. This form of photography is all new to me. Mostly enjoyable, but somewhat aggravating. It's low light video with the Hero 7 that's getting me annoyed. I've tried so many different settings to allow more light to the sensor, yet I still get those rotten jerky video segments. The only thing that is left to try is using a gimbal for inside low light situations. I not long got back from a very well lit store, yet, the results were not to my liking. Every now and then the video jumps, or jerks. I tried everything from raising ISO, upping EV, and changing FPS from 60, 30, 24 in 1080p. The best was 60, but more jerks or jumps. 30, and especially '4, created too much blurry motion while walking. I'm to the point that if a gimbal doesn;t sort this out, it's goodbye GoPro. Much of what I want to video, is indoors low light, but I won't accept the jerky segments I'm getting. Outdoors is totally amazing, though, but indoors . . . it sucks.

-- hide signature --

Critique, NOT criticize.

hindesite Veteran Member • Posts: 4,384

Adrian Tung wrote:

sludge21017 wrote:

hmmmm

When initially released, the DJI didn't have RockSteady stabilisation at 4K60, only 4K30 and below - so all comparisons show the DJI as being better than the GP7 since nobody was going to compare at 4K60, it wouldn't make sense. (Even for the most ardent GP7 fanbois).

A firmware update enabled RockSteady at 4K60, so comparing at 4K60 made sense, and as this comparison shows, at 4K60, it isn't as good as the GP7. At less than 4K60 - every other video shows the DJI as being better.

-- hide signature --
sludge21017
sludge21017 Senior Member • Posts: 1,815

HS - Thanks for the update on that.  Makes sense now.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads