Osmo Action Cam

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,824
Re: well...

hindesite wrote:

larsbc wrote:

It looks nice but the video reviews and sample clips I've seen haven't compelled me to make the switch from my Hero 7 Black. The thing I was most interested in was the DJI's stability in poor light and that seems to have the same limitations as the Hero 7.

I'm guessing you haven't seen Devin Supertramp's video, then, though switching from GP7B would be a hard call for any camera. Buying instead of a GP7B is a different call.

Yes, if I didn't already have the Hero 7, I'd give a lot of consideration to getting the DJI Action.

Stabilisation at 4K60; and very good stabilisation all round - in Devin's view (and he does know a bit about action cameras) better than the GP7B.

I'm fine with the Hero's stabilization; it's the low light performance where I'd like to see an improvement.  Once the light gets low, my Sony's mechanical stabilization system becomes more effective than the Hero (and DJI).

He also calls out the front display (which so many dismiss as for narcissists/vloggers) as being a game changer for putting cameras in difficult places, and still being able to frame the shot without having to pfaff around with phones and wifi.

I've no problem with the front display.

Hopefully the Hero 7 will get a firmware update to remove some of its infrequent erratic on/off behavior.

ROFL

Well, they did fix things on the last firmware update so I'll remain naively optimistic. 

Also, I'm glad to see that GoPro has more competition in this area.

TBH, they've always had competition

I know, which is why I said, "more."

- it is just that GoPro marketing is much better, and people are unaware of the competition or think they must be inferior because they don't have market share.

Yes.  Also, I don't think any of the other Chinese "knock-offs" such as the SJ or YI cameras have demonstrated digital stabilization that is close to what GoPro is getting from the Hero 7.  Perhaps the SJ 9 will but I haven't seen that yet.  And Sony hasn't updated their X3000 (which I think is a great action cam) so, until the release of the DJI Action, there wasn't anything (that I'm aware of) that was very close to the Hero 7 is capabilities, particularly in the area of 4K @ 60fps and very good stabilization.

Bangers and Mash
OP Bangers and Mash Senior Member • Posts: 2,963
Re: Osmo Action Cam

6 X 17 Feind wrote:

Adrian Tung wrote:

Requires activation, just like other DJI products. No matter how good this camera is, that's already a no-go for me.

What is this activation you speak of? And why is it bad?

I was wondering that as well. Is it like activating new software, registering the device? Either way, it's not such a big deal. Certainly not a deal breaker for me.

-- hide signature --

Critique, NOT criticize.

Bangers and Mash's gear list:Bangers and Mash's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
hindesite Veteran Member • Posts: 4,361
Re: Same Sensor / Processor = Yi 4K+

6 X 17 Feind wrote:

Stan wrote:

...from two years ago (apparently). But a MUCH higher price (apparently).

Perhaps they are more fully using Ambarella's H2 chip from 2016, or have better programming and so forth.

The lens seems to be a narrower POV than GoPro, so less suitable for some POV type action.

Some hands on: https://youtu.be/Px-zdLQKGt4

Well, we will find out tomorrow what the real price and specs will be.

I am going to say price wise, on par with the GP7 or less... Anybody else hazard a guess?

6 X 17 Feind

+25% for some?

-- hide signature --
Adrian Tung
Adrian Tung Veteran Member • Posts: 3,706

6 X 17 Feind wrote:

What is this activation you speak of? And why is it bad?

It means you cannot use the thing you just bought until you activate the thing via the Internet.

Adrian Tung's gear list:Adrian Tung's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus Tough TG-870 Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +12 more
Adrian Tung
Adrian Tung Veteran Member • Posts: 3,706

Bangers and Mash wrote:

I was wondering that as well. Is it like activating new software, registering the device? Either way, it's not such a big deal. Certainly not a deal breaker for me.

Activation and registration are two different things. With activation, you are unable to use the thing you bought until the process is completed.

Software activation is a necessary evil. It is so easy to make unauthorized duplicates and pirate the software, that developers have to resort to online activation. At least it is a whole lot better than invasive DRM.

Hardware activation might make sense for things with serious government regulations, like drones, but outside of a few limited cases, the whole concept of hardware activation is ridiculous. Imagine if one day this idea runs so rampant, you cannot even use a toaster, microwave oven or table fan you just bought from the store. The thing refuses to run until you activate it first. That's how ridiculous the concept of hardware activation is.

Adrian Tung's gear list:Adrian Tung's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus Tough TG-870 Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +12 more
Jonneymendoza2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,017

Hi i have just ordered this and should arrive in a couple of hours! its rpelacing my yi 4k+ camera

Bangers and Mash

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

Hi i have just ordered this and should arrive in a couple of hours! its rpelacing my yi 4k+ camera

Awesome!! I hope it works out well for you. Keep us posted.

-- hide signature --

Critique, NOT criticize.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Custom modes

I just saw a video that mentioned that the Osmo Action has user-defined custom modes.  That would be quite useful to me.

Bangers and Mash
Re: Custom modes

larsbc wrote:

I just saw a video that mentioned that the Osmo Action has user-defined custom modes. That would be quite useful to me.

Seriously? That would be very useful for me as well.

-- hide signature --

Critique, NOT criticize.

Bangers and Mash

larsbc wrote:

hindesite wrote:

larsbc wrote:

It looks nice but the video reviews and sample clips I've seen haven't compelled me to make the switch from my Hero 7 Black. The thing I was most interested in was the DJI's stability in poor light and that seems to have the same limitations as the Hero 7.

I'm guessing you haven't seen Devin Supertramp's video, then, though switching from GP7B would be a hard call for any camera. Buying instead of a GP7B is a different call.

Yes, if I didn't already have the Hero 7, I'd give a lot of consideration to getting the DJI Action.

Stabilisation at 4K60; and very good stabilisation all round - in Devin's view (and he does know a bit about action cameras) better than the GP7B.

I'm fine with the Hero's stabilization; it's the low light performance where I'd like to see an improvement. Once the light gets low, my Sony's mechanical stabilization system becomes more effective than the Hero (and DJI).

That's the advantage of a mechanical stabilization system. The GP7's, being electronic, needs light, and from my experience, lots of light.

He also calls out the front display (which so many dismiss as for narcissists/vloggers) as being a game changer for putting cameras in difficult places, and still being able to frame the shot without having to pfaff around with phones and wifi.

I've no problem with the front display.

Hopefully the Hero 7 will get a firmware update to remove some of its infrequent erratic on/off behavior.

ROFL

Well, they did fix things on the last firmware update so I'll remain naively optimistic.

Also, I'm glad to see that GoPro has more competition in this area.

TBH, they've always had competition

Yes, that's what has kept them busy with refinements. Hopefully the engineers at GoPro will get busy sorting out some of the quirky issues.

I know, which is why I said, "more."

- it is just that GoPro marketing is much better, and people are unaware of the competition or think they must be inferior because they don't have market share.

Yes. Also, I don't think any of the other Chinese "knock-offs" such as the SJ or YI cameras have demonstrated digital stabilization that is close to what GoPro is getting from the Hero 7. Perhaps the SJ 9 will but I haven't seen that yet. And Sony hasn't updated their X3000 (which I think is a great action cam) so, until the release of the DJI Action, there wasn't anything (that I'm aware of) that was very close to the Hero 7 is capabilities, particularly in the area of 4K @ 60fps and very good stabilization.

-- hide signature --

Critique, NOT criticize.

Jonneymendoza2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,017

Here is a preview.

https://youtu.be/q1LqNxfHJTo

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

Here is a preview.

Thanks, having the helmet peak in view really shows what is going on with the stabilisation, it really is very good.

-- hide signature --
sludge21017
sludge21017 Senior Member • Posts: 1,752

This is about the closet thing in consumer space for "low light"

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/review-color-night-vision-with-the-sionyx-aurora

Bangers and Mash

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

Here is a preview.

That's impressive. I couldn't get over the fact that his helmet was bobbing up and down, yet the cam was solid in view straight ahead. Even slight twists of his head didn't affect it either. What I would loved to have seen was a GoPro 7 mounted on his helmet next to the Osmo.

-- hide signature --

Critique, NOT criticize.

sludge21017

Bangers and Mash wrote:

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

Here is a preview.

That's impressive. I couldn't get over the fact that his helmet was bobbing up and down, yet the cam was solid in view straight ahead. Even slight twists of his head didn't affect it either. What I would loved to have seen was a GoPro 7 mounted on his helmet next to the Osmo.

It would do just as well.

Bangers and Mash wrote:

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

Here is a preview.

Yes, in Photodo's comparison, the Osmo's stabilization looked very good.  I wonder how much was due to the narrower FOV?  If definitely consider it if I didn't already have the Hero 7.

sludge21017 wrote:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/review-color-night-vision-with-the-sionyx-aurora

Maybe, closets do tend to be a bit dark.

-- hide signature --
sludge21017

hindesite wrote:

sludge21017 wrote:

Maybe, closets do tend to be a bit dark.

Someone else got me with this typo before here.

sludge21017 wrote:

Bangers and Mash wrote:

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

Here is a preview.

Of course it would, IT'S A GOPRO! (so it must be the best).

However: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-r_lmiHRT4

Oh, wow...

-- hide signature --
sludge21017

hindesite wrote:

sludge21017 wrote:

Bangers and Mash wrote:

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

Here is a preview.

Of course it would, IT'S A GOPRO! (so it must be the best).

However: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-r_lmiHRT4

Oh, wow...

I already posted that. Synthetic test.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads