How long until they are giving away DSLR's ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
Fishchris
Fishchris Senior Member • Posts: 4,609
How long until they are giving away DSLR's ?

I know... I know... DSLR's are locked in pretty firmly. Personally, I won't go so far as to say, "I will never buy or use a mirrorless camera" but I can say, I currently have zero interest in one. I'm really not sure what it's going to take, to make me switch to ML cameras, except to say, they are going to have to have a few things about them that not just equal the best DSLR's, but blow them out of the water, and no areas which are not as good, to make ML cameras an obvious choice for myself.

What I'm really hoping, is that enough people will make that switch a lot sooner than me, and make the DSLR camera of my dreams, a lot more affordable.

Will this ever happen ? 3 years, 5 years, 10, never ?

I mean if you looked around a bit, you could probably find someone to give you a very nice film camera, right ? Why should this be any different ?

-- hide signature --

On a related note, the Gigapan pro came out more than 10 years ago, when DSLR's really were not making enough MP's for huge, detailed prints. At the time, I can see why they sold for $1000. But now, DSLR's are easily making 40+ MP's, which is more than enough for 99.5% of all photographers..... I would think, even enough for some of the guys who bought a Gigapan pro for their 6mp DSLR 10 years ago. It just seems to me that one could buy a used Gigapan pro for $200 ! But nope, these freaking things are still like $800 used ! $1000 new !?!? What the hell ? Freaking killing me over here.

Yet I probably couldn't sell one for a shiny nickel 😞

--
Photos are my paintings. The camera is my brush.
Website
www.LightInEveryCorner.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/161603079@N02/
DPreview gallery; http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5075216809
No time or attention given for negativity or trolls.

Fishchris's gear list:Fishchris's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 12,635
Re: How long until they are giving away DSLR's ?

Fishchris wrote:

What I'm really hoping, is that enough people will make that switch a lot sooner than me, and make the DSLR camera of my dreams, a lot more affordable.

Depends on the particular dreamer's dream. Many DSLRs are already very affordable right now.

Wheatfield7
Wheatfield7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,671

They have practically been giving them away for a couple of decades.

Fishchris
OP Fishchris Senior Member • Posts: 4,609

sybersitizen wrote:

Fishchris wrote:

Depends on the particular dreamer's dream. Many DSLRs are already very affordable right now.

Well okay, and maybe the dreamers bank account lol My dream camera is a D850, but I'm feeling like the D810 would do me 95% as well. I can get a used D810 for $1500'ish, but for me, that's still not cheap... and Id still need a good lens or two, as well.

And selling my current stuff is not really an option, as 1) nobody every wants to give me more than a small fraction for anything I'm trying to sell (life long curse), and 2) my GF needs a decent DSLR, so she'd probably get my current gear...

-- hide signature --

Website

Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM
Fishchris

Wheatfield7 wrote:

lol Just not to me I guess...

-- hide signature --

Website

gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,613

I suspect as soon as Nikon introduces a mirrorless camera that approaches the spec of the D850 , and/or Canon does the same for a 5Dx, the prices of all their DSLR's will drop markedly.

Maybe 12-15 months....

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +8 more
threw the lens
threw the lens Contributing Member • Posts: 625

Don't worry, it is much too difficult to give away a DSLR in a packet of cornflakes.

That kind of job is given to the magazines "Build your own DSLR (72 issue series)".

Issue 1: Eyepiece.

Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 7,150

Fishchris wrote:

I know... I know... DSLR's are locked in pretty firmly. Personally, I won't go so far as to say, "I will never buy or use a mirrorless camera" but I can say, I currently have zero interest in one. I'm really not sure what it's going to take, to make me switch to ML cameras, except to say, they are going to have to have a few things about them that not just equal the best DSLR's, but blow them out of the water, and no areas which are not as good, to make ML cameras an obvious choice for myself.

I mean if you looked around a bit, you could probably find someone to give you a very nice film camera, right ? Why should this be any different ?

I have switched back and forth several times and each time, there were things about one i liked more than the other. Right now i have two ML bodies and even though i really like them, i do plan on buying a DSLR in the near future, only this time im keeping my ML. Since i like both for different reasons, it just makes sense.

As for giving one away, i saw a good condition D300 for $130 last week, that's as close as i have seen. I already have a grip for one and 3 Nikon lenses so that kinda makes sense. But yes, even better prices will be out there i think.

-- hide signature --

"Horizons with no movement forever still,
Falling rain washing the dead,
Mocking the motionless eternally damned,
Dreams unfulfilled, dreams unfulfilled. " -

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus 40-150mm F3.5-4.5 +6 more
onlyfreeman
onlyfreeman Senior Member • Posts: 1,352

What do you need in your dream DSLR?

If you don't need great AF for example, there could be many cheaper options than a D850 I guess.

onlyfreeman's gear list:onlyfreeman's gear list
YI M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Paint.net FastStone Photo Resizer +1 more
Wayne Larmon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,317
I bought a working DSLR for $30 on eBay.

Fishchris wrote:

Wheatfield7 wrote:

Last September I bought a fully functional Canon 300D (+ working Canon charger and working Canon battery) for $30 on eBay.  It is still useful for good 8x10s and maybe larger.  Six megapixels is only a bit shy of 4K (eight megapixels.)

Wayne

yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 11,497

I was given one a few years ago.  It definitely happens.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-M1 +14 more
Fishchris
Re: I bought a working DSLR for $30 on eBay.

Wayne Larmon wrote:

Fishchris wrote:

Wheatfield7 wrote:

Last September I bought a fully functional Canon 300D (+ working Canon charger and working Canon battery) for $30 on eBay. It is still useful for good 8x10s and maybe larger. Six megapixels is only a bit shy of 4K (eight megapixels.)

Wayne

If I remember correctly, the first Gigapixel photo made with a Gigapan, (by a private citizen, Max Lyons) was made with a 6mp 300D ☺️

-- hide signature --

Website

Fishchris

onlyfreeman wrote:

What do you need in your dream DSLR?

If you don't need great AF for example, there could be many cheaper options than a D850 I guess.

A bunch of clean MP's..... primarily. Great auto focus would be good too. And I guess, no AA filters.

-- hide signature --

Website

Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,149
Indeed, Adobe will give you a free one with every LR subscription.

Just like printer cartridges.
The big question is whose ?  Canon, I'm tipping.

-- hide signature --

Ron.
Volunteer, what could possibly go wrong ?

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a7R Sony a77 II +19 more
Fishchris

yardcoyote wrote:

I was given one a few years ago. It definitely happens.

Lucky you ☺️ I'm more likely to give my current one to my GF, than for her to be buying me a new D810 or D850... + Lenses + a Gigapan Pro

-- hide signature --

Website

yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 11,497

I didnt say it was a *good* DSLR. It's a Nikon D50: a charming camera with a sensor that renders colors beautifully, particularly the challenging reds of plants, but it's hardly state of the art. Plus i had to buy lenses for it: a $50 kit zoom and a $99 refurbished 50mm D. That last will be my first lens for that Df I'm always dreaming of.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-M1 +14 more
bullet1 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,218
Never...

Fishchris wrote:

But they may disappear...

It is not the interest of DSLR manufacturers to give away their cameras, even if they don't sell.

When DSLRs become commodity items like 1080p TVs, they will be heavily discounted first and then disappear altogether when the inventory runs out as there is no business sense to sell them any more.

-- hide signature --

Nelson

bullet1's gear list:bullet1's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Sony a7 III +23 more
BillAngel Regular Member • Posts: 106
Re: I bought a working DSLR for $30 on eBay.

Wayne Larmon wrote:

Fishchris wrote:

Wheatfield7 wrote:

Last September I bought a fully functional Canon 300D (+ working Canon charger and working Canon battery) for $30 on eBay. It is still useful for good 8x10s and maybe larger. Six megapixels is only a bit shy of 4K (eight megapixels.)

Wayne

One can purchase a Nikon D100 body on eBay for around $50. It has a resolution of 6MP.

I own one and still occasionly use it. One problem that does occur with a camera this old is that the menu dials and selector switches lose their lubrication and become very difficult to turn. I own a Nikon D100 which came out in 2002 and a Nikon D200 which came out in 2005 and both of these cameras have developed this problem.

AOC
AOC Regular Member • Posts: 158

You've received a lot of low value-add replies, the 1st one in particular.

Here's the reality: when many pharma brand name drugs lose their patent protection, the price for them actually rises over time--independent of scarcity considerations.

Why?

Because the only people left buying them are those with a very high willingness to pay (WTP)--i.e., a very low price elasticity of demand.

The rest of the people (the smart ones) have moved onto cheaper generics.

Expect the same with DSLRs.

They'll drop a bit, then they'll start rising in price b/c the only people buying them--at a time when mirrorless and quite possibly also cellphones would be far superior--will be relatively price inelastic diehard fans hellbent on owning a clickety-clack mirror.

CBVickery New Member • Posts: 14

With the rise of phone cameras one would think that the P&S market would have nearly disappeared.  It is still there, but much diminished.

There is a flood of used P&S on the market and some fantastic bargains can found in the 14MP to 16MP range.

That is what I think will eventually happen to the DSLR market.  I will be watching for bargains on used APS-C DSLR's in the coming years.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads