GR lll Review

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Ken Bates New Member • Posts: 19
GR lll Review
10

Hi All.  Just read the review for the GR.lll and all seems fair enough.

The only thing I would add is that I can handhold at 1/4 sec.  with about 80%  critical sharpness rate. ( double that time for macro )

It's not cheap. I would have liked to have keep the GR ll flash.

But I must say, I love this camera.

Thanks all.

Martin JC Senior Member • Posts: 2,746
Re: GR lll Review

Ken Bates wrote:

Hi All. Just read the review for the GR.lll and all seems fair enough.

The only thing I would add is that I can handhold at 1/4 sec. with about 80% critical sharpness rate. ( double that time for macro )

It's not cheap. I would have liked to have keep the GR ll flash.

But I must say, I love this camera.

Thanks all.

My thought too.  I read through the whole thing and it seemed balanced to me....

The price for the fantastic lens / body combination that Barney mentioned seemed about right to me....

 Martin JC's gear list:Martin JC's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill
illd3fined Regular Member • Posts: 456
Re: GR lll Review

yup fair except for not noting the existence of anti-glare screen protectors

-- hide signature --
 illd3fined's gear list:illd3fined's gear list
Sony RX100 II Ricoh GR III Apple iPhone XS
jsla Forum Member • Posts: 75
Re: GR lll Review
1

Yep, seems fair, although as you, I can handhold with much lower times.

I was also confused by the bit about SR turning off on stable surfaces. I think the only time the SR is turned off automatically is when using self-timer (2s or 10s). This is how Pentax cameras operate and I believe Ricoh just brought that over to GRIII plus added setting in menu to turn it off.

James Bligh Senior Member • Posts: 2,354
Re: GR lll Review

Ken Bates wrote:

Hi All. Just read the review for the GR.lll and all seems fair enough.

The only thing I would add is that I can handhold at 1/4 sec. with about 80% critical sharpness rate. ( double that time for macro )

It's not cheap. I would have liked to have keep the GR ll flash.

But I must say, I love this camera.

Thanks all.

For the record GR3 received DPREVIEW SILVER AWARD when GR had got DPREVIEW GOLD AWARD.

-- hide signature --

You really want you a pound of flesh, don't you?
-- Mallory to Miller in the movie 'The Guns of Navarone'

illd3fined Regular Member • Posts: 456
Re: GR lll Review

James Bligh wrote:

For the record GR3 received DPREVIEW SILVER AWARD when GR had got DPREVIEW GOLD AWARD.

in 2013 the GR was a groundbreaking concept. what would even the GRII get today

-- hide signature --
 illd3fined's gear list:illd3fined's gear list
Sony RX100 II Ricoh GR III Apple iPhone XS
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 269
Re: GR lll Review

illd3fined wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

For the record GR3 received DPREVIEW SILVER AWARD when GR had got DPREVIEW GOLD AWARD.

in 2013 the GR was a groundbreaking concept. what would even the GRII get today

How was it groundbreaking ?

James Bligh Senior Member • Posts: 2,354
Re: GR lll Review
1

illd3fined wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

For the record GR3 received DPREVIEW SILVER AWARD when GR had got DPREVIEW GOLD AWARD.

in 2013 the GR was a groundbreaking concept. what would even the GRII get today

It is strange the review does not say a word about QC issues of GR3. And it does not mention the presence and role of preprocessor though it says ‘noise reduction applied to the Raw at all ISO values 200 and up.’

By giving SILVER AWARD the reviewers may have wanted to say something not told in text?

-- hide signature --

You really want you a pound of flesh, don't you?
-- Mallory to Miller in the movie 'The Guns of Navarone'

illd3fined Regular Member • Posts: 456
Re: GR lll Review
1

TakiNufuji wrote:

illd3fined wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

For the record GR3 received DPREVIEW SILVER AWARD when GR had got DPREVIEW GOLD AWARD.

in 2013 the GR was a groundbreaking concept. what would even the GRII get today

How was it groundbreaking ?

at the time the Coolpix A and GR were the only mainstream commercially viable large sensor compacts. the Sigma DP1 was practically a prototype and didn't fit in a shirt pocket

-- hide signature --
 illd3fined's gear list:illd3fined's gear list
Sony RX100 II Ricoh GR III Apple iPhone XS
illd3fined Regular Member • Posts: 456
Re: GR lll Review
5

James Bligh wrote:

illd3fined wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

For the record GR3 received DPREVIEW SILVER AWARD when GR had got DPREVIEW GOLD AWARD.

in 2013 the GR was a groundbreaking concept. what would even the GRII get today

It is strange the review does not say a word about QC issues of GR3. And it does not mention the presence and role of preprocessor though it says ‘noise reduction applied to the Raw at all ISO values 200 and up.’

By giving SILVER AWARD the reviewers may have wanted to say something not told in text?

ha wow, you really want to convince yourself of a non-existent conspiracy (thats only in your head)

a lot has happened since 2013. the GRIII is a good camera just no longer the breakthrough the original GR was

-- hide signature --
 illd3fined's gear list:illd3fined's gear list
Sony RX100 II Ricoh GR III Apple iPhone XS
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 269
Re: GR lll Review
1

illd3fined wrote:

TakiNufuji wrote:

illd3fined wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

For the record GR3 received DPREVIEW SILVER AWARD when GR had got DPREVIEW GOLD AWARD.

in 2013 the GR was a groundbreaking concept. what would even the GRII get today

How was it groundbreaking ?

at the time the Coolpix A and GR were the only mainstream commercially viable large sensor compacts. the Sigma DP1 was practically a prototype and didn't fit in a shirt pocket

Sigma dp1, dp2 and dp1s were all out in 2008-2009.

James Bligh Senior Member • Posts: 2,354
Re: GR lll Review
2

illd3fined wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

illd3fined wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

For the record GR3 received DPREVIEW SILVER AWARD when GR had got DPREVIEW GOLD AWARD.

in 2013 the GR was a groundbreaking concept. what would even the GRII get today

It is strange the review does not say a word about QC issues of GR3. And it does not mention the presence and role of preprocessor though it says ‘noise reduction applied to the Raw at all ISO values 200 and up.’

By giving SILVER AWARD the reviewers may have wanted to say something not told in text?

ha wow, you really want to convince yourself of a non-existent conspiracy (thats only in your head)

Neither of us can be sure of anything.

a lot has happened since 2013. the GRIII is a good camera just no longer the breakthrough the original GR was

I will say it a mediocre.

-- hide signature --

You really want you a pound of flesh, don't you?
-- Mallory to Miller in the movie 'The Guns of Navarone'

John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 5,403
Re: GR lll Review
7

James Bligh wrote:

illd3fined wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

illd3fined wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

For the record GR3 received DPREVIEW SILVER AWARD when GR had got DPREVIEW GOLD AWARD.

in 2013 the GR was a groundbreaking concept. what would even the GRII get today

It is strange the review does not say a word about QC issues of GR3. And it does not mention the presence and role of preprocessor though it says ‘noise reduction applied to the Raw at all ISO values 200 and up.’

By giving SILVER AWARD the reviewers may have wanted to say something not told in text?

ha wow, you really want to convince yourself of a non-existent conspiracy (thats only in your head)

Neither of us can be sure of anything.

a lot has happened since 2013. the GRIII is a good camera just no longer the breakthrough the original GR was

I will say it a mediocre.

James, we get it. You don’t like it and you don’t trust Ricoh. Don’t you get tired coming here every day to say the same thing?

Navarone'

 John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Ricoh GR III Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 +8 more
illd3fined Regular Member • Posts: 456
Re: GR lll Review
1

John Gellings wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

illd3fined wrote:

ha wow, you really want to convince yourself of a non-existent conspiracy (thats only in your head)

Neither of us can be sure of anything.

a lot has happened since 2013. the GRIII is a good camera just no longer the breakthrough the original GR was

I will say it a mediocre.

James, we get it. You don’t like it and you don’t trust Ricoh. Don’t you get tired coming here every day to say the same thing?

seriously. the only undeniably clear conspiracy here is his

-- hide signature --
 illd3fined's gear list:illd3fined's gear list
Sony RX100 II Ricoh GR III Apple iPhone XS
James Bligh Senior Member • Posts: 2,354
Re: GR lll Review
2

John Gellings wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

illd3fined wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

illd3fined wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

For the record GR3 received DPREVIEW SILVER AWARD when GR had got DPREVIEW GOLD AWARD.

in 2013 the GR was a groundbreaking concept. what would even the GRII get today

It is strange the review does not say a word about QC issues of GR3. And it does not mention the presence and role of preprocessor though it says ‘noise reduction applied to the Raw at all ISO values 200 and up.’

By giving SILVER AWARD the reviewers may have wanted to say something not told in text?

ha wow, you really want to convince yourself of a non-existent conspiracy (thats only in your head)

Neither of us can be sure of anything.

a lot has happened since 2013. the GRIII is a good camera just no longer the breakthrough the original GR was

I will say it a mediocre.

James, we get it. You don’t like it and you don’t trust Ricoh. Don’t you get tired coming here every day to say the same thing?

When you think for a moment you will know life is a repetition of boring routine.

-- hide signature --

You really want you a pound of flesh, don't you?
-- Mallory to Miller in the movie 'The Guns of Navarone'

Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,205
Re: GR lll Review
2

James Bligh wrote:

illd3fined wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

For the record GR3 received DPREVIEW SILVER AWARD when GR had got DPREVIEW GOLD AWARD.

in 2013 the GR was a groundbreaking concept. what would even the GRII get today

It is strange the review does not say a word about QC issues of GR3.

Issues affecting a limited number of cameras and subsequently fixed at no cost to the user? Hardly a reason to bash the camera for it.

And it does not mention the presence and role of preprocessor though it says ‘noise reduction applied to the Raw at all ISO values 200 and up.’

The preprocessor (accelerator unit) whose presence is a plus and which doesn't merely do noise reduction. We discussed this to death in the Pentax forum, with people trying to show loss of detail with test charts <rolling eyes>

Ale

 Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
teemodk Senior Member • Posts: 1,271
Re: GR lll Review
3

James Bligh wrote:

John Gellings wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

illd3fined wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

illd3fined wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

For the record GR3 received DPREVIEW SILVER AWARD when GR had got DPREVIEW GOLD AWARD.

in 2013 the GR was a groundbreaking concept. what would even the GRII get today

It is strange the review does not say a word about QC issues of GR3. And it does not mention the presence and role of preprocessor though it says ‘noise reduction applied to the Raw at all ISO values 200 and up.’

By giving SILVER AWARD the reviewers may have wanted to say something not told in text?

ha wow, you really want to convince yourself of a non-existent conspiracy (thats only in your head)

Neither of us can be sure of anything.

a lot has happened since 2013. the GRIII is a good camera just no longer the breakthrough the original GR was

I will say it a mediocre.

James, we get it. You don’t like it and you don’t trust Ricoh. Don’t you get tired coming here every day to say the same thing?

When you think for a moment you will know life is a repetition of boring routine.

I'm never bored when out shooting. Go out and try it, it helps!
Even if you only have a Ricoh.

 teemodk's gear list:teemodk's gear list
Oppo R7 Plus
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 184
Re: GR lll Review
2

illd3fined wrote:

yup fair except for not noting the existence of anti-glare screen protectors

Agree that it is a pretty good review but the anti glare screen protector does not come with the camera so as tested the review is fair in mentioning it as a problem

illd3fined Regular Member • Posts: 456
Re: GR lll Review
1

epastukaste wrote:

Agree that it is a pretty good review but the anti glare screen does not come with the camera so as tested the review is fair in mentioning it as a problem

agree they should mention it as a problem (in their eyes) and judge it accordingly but they should also offer a solution as cheap and easy as this in the copy..

-- hide signature --
 illd3fined's gear list:illd3fined's gear list
Sony RX100 II Ricoh GR III Apple iPhone XS
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 184
Re: GR lll Review
1

illd3fined wrote:

epastukaste wrote:

Agree that it is a pretty good review but the anti glare screen does not come with the camera so as tested the review is fair in mentioning it as a problem

agree they should mention it as a problem (in their eyes) and judge it accordingly but they should also offer a solution as cheap and easy as this in the copy..

Some of us are not fans of these protectors and in harsh light they have little effect I much  prefer to have the use of a VF but ricoh has not  placed one in a GR since the film version.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads