official announcement from Nikon JP : Z6 / Z7 firmware update ver 2.0 will be coming on 16 May 2019

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 34,963
Re: Upgrading without card reader?

tlittlefield wrote:

NAG3LT wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

Current readers will be compatible with CFExpress. Right now if the reader supports two rows of contacts for XQD 2.0 it will support the same physical size for CFExpress.

What are those two rows? How to check if they are present on the reader?

The CFExpress will have the same contacts and from factor as the XQD. and NO you can not do a firmware upgrade without one.

It really blows my mind that someone buys a $2000 (or more) camera body and balks on buying a $25 item.

Agreed. just buy one.

From Nikon's firmware page: "Performing this update requires an XQD card reader."

-- hide signature --
 DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6
camerons Forum Member • Posts: 62

ericbowles wrote:

Current readers will be compatible with CFExpress. Right now if the reader supports two rows of contacts for XQD 2.0 it will support the same physical size for CFExpress. You might run into some sort of speed limitation in the future but that applies to your computer, your USB slot, and other components. Worst case is a current reader will be a little slower than a new reader for CFExpress.

Eric Bowles
BowlesImages.com

Oh wow, I didn't know some current XQD readers would be compatible with CFExpress. I was almost trying to hold off on buying one since the Sony CFExpress reader MRW-G1 is supposed to be out this summer, and didn't want to buy a card reader for my 1 XQD card.

camerons's gear list:camerons's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4
NAG3LT
NAG3LT Forum Member • Posts: 51

tlittlefield wrote:

NAG3LT wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

Current readers will be compatible with CFExpress. Right now if the reader supports two rows of contacts for XQD 2.0 it will support the same physical size for CFExpress.

The CFExpress will have the same contacts and from factor as the XQD. and NO you can not do a firmware upgrade without one.

It really blows my mind that someone buys a $2000 (or more) camera body and balks on buying a $25 item.

You seem to reply to a completely different question from the ones I’ve asked.

DerKaiser Regular Member • Posts: 156

NAG3LT wrote:

tlittlefield wrote:

NAG3LT wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

You seem to reply to a completely different question from the ones I’ve asked.

I guess that's from his mind being blown.

DDavis1 Regular Member • Posts: 204

From 1.03 (Z7) and 1.01 (Z6) straight to 2.0. Damn.

In any case, I'm just looking forward to the RAW N-LOG video update on the Z6. THAT'S the real game-changer in regards to direct competition against the Sony A7 III and the Canon EOS R.

DDavis1's gear list:DDavis1's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +10 more
MSullivan Forum Member • Posts: 99

dspoel wrote:

tlittlefield wrote:

NAG3LT wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

It's not about the money, but more about not wanting to accumulate a lot of electronics waste I have too much of that already. But good to know that present card readers will work.

The $25 one is a tiny little thing and there's not much to it.  I'd reckon you waste more in other areas of your life than you would with this.

MSullivan's gear list:MSullivan's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +4 more
GoodKnight
GoodKnight Forum Member • Posts: 72
It is all Greek to me

Or is that Japanese

briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 3,947
Re: Z6 / Z7 firmware update ver 2.0 will be coming on 16 May 2019

Jeff Klofft wrote:

MSullivan wrote:

"2.0"? Sounds serious. Can't wait!

I agree. I've been shooting Nikon DSLRs going back to the D100 and I can't ever remember a 2.0 firmware release.

D2X Firmware 2.00

D2Hs Firmware 2.00

D70 Firmware 2.00

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +21 more
DDavis1 Regular Member • Posts: 204

briantilley wrote:

Jeff Klofft wrote:

MSullivan wrote:

I agree. I've been shooting Nikon DSLRs going back to the D100 and I can't ever remember a 2.0 firmware release.

D2X Firmware 2.00

D2Hs Firmware 2.00

D70 Firmware 2.00

Hopefully, Nikon won't go conservative as they do with nearly every update or new feature set.

DDavis1's gear list:DDavis1's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +10 more
Jeff Klofft Veteran Member • Posts: 3,599

briantilley wrote:

Jeff Klofft wrote:

MSullivan wrote:

D2X Firmware 2.00

D2Hs Firmware 2.00

D70 Firmware 2.00

Guess I upgraded cameras before those came out.   I never said it didn't happen, just that my increasing elder brain couldn't remember

-- hide signature --

Jeff

D200_4me
D200_4me Veteran Member • Posts: 4,526

Jeff Klofft wrote:

D2X Firmware 2.00

D2Hs Firmware 2.00

D70 Firmware 2.00

Guess I upgraded cameras before those came out. I never said it didn't happen, just that my increasing elder brain couldn't remember

Yes but they quit doing big firmware updates long ago (those are old cameras).  The occasional firmware for fixes, yes...but big firmware updates to release new features or greatly IMPROVE existing features?...no.  They have not been known for that.  So this is a welcome change (especially since they're back in the mirrorless market in a serious way now).

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Nikon Z7 Panasonic G95 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +1 more
alandalsong Regular Member • Posts: 138
which time zone ?

Now it's their (Japanese) 16th already. Still no sign of new FW....

alandalsong's gear list:alandalsong's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon D80 Nikon D100 Nikon D700 +4 more
MSullivan Forum Member • Posts: 99
Re: which time zone ?

alandalsong wrote:

Now it's their (Japanese) 16th already. Still no sign of new FW....

It's only 3:42AM over there. They usually do stuff mid-day.

MSullivan's gear list:MSullivan's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +4 more
inlawbiker Senior Member • Posts: 1,834
Who is going to test and report?

I'm eagerly awaiting the news. Thanks Internet I know you won't let me down!

inlawbiker's gear list:inlawbiker's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
xyxyxyxyxy New Member • Posts: 4

DDavis1 wrote:

briantilley wrote:

Jeff Klofft wrote:

MSullivan wrote:

D2X Firmware 2.00

D2Hs Firmware 2.00

D70 Firmware 2.00

Hopefully, Nikon won't go conservative as they do with nearly every update or new feature set.

au contraire: I really hope they go conservative, I don't need a buggy firmware.

xyxyxyxyxy's gear list:xyxyxyxyxy's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +3 more
xyxyxyxyxy New Member • Posts: 4

"Will it be possible to upgrade without a card reader?"

No.

xyxyxyxyxy's gear list:xyxyxyxyxy's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +3 more

Why not? I thought the card in the body would be seen as a normal storage when the camera is connected with a computer via USB. No?

Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 7,737

alandalsong wrote:

Why not? I thought the card in the body would be seen as a normal storage when the camera is connected with a computer via USB. No?

Because Nikon implemented the Z's USB functionality as a read-only PTP device.

Thanks.

ross873 New Member • Posts: 8

Jeff Klofft wrote:

MSullivan wrote:

Both the D70 and the D200 had 2.0 firmware releases. I don't know of any that are more recent, though.

ross873's gear list:ross873's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads