Worse than I thought

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 1,051
Re: Worse than I thought

Photo Pete wrote:

Internet bloggers who are genuinely concerned about the health of the camera industry should be promoting a move away from this frantic turnover of new models and supporting the manufacturers in taking a more sustainable approach, rather than criticising their every move in an attempt to appear as an industry expert.

I value more opinions of experts and reviewers  who care more about the needs of the photographers then about those of gear manufacturers.

What you propose seems like promoting staleness instead of innovation and bringing features that might help the photographers taking photos in more difficult conditions or easier.

What if we apply the same criteria to a different market? Should we applaud the lack of inovation in medical market? Should we promoting stoppin R&D for new drugs just some that an old company can make profits?

Unfortunately, in his continual criticism of the camera manufacturers, bloggers like Mr Hogan are part of the reason behind the declining market which he makes his living reporting on.

It's not mr Hogan's fault that soccer moms prefer smartphones. For regular folks smartphones are good enough, easier to use, more convenient, they have it already.

Should we blame people promoting digital photography for the demise of Kodak? Maybe it was the fault of Kodak managers. Fuji adapted very well to the market, Kodak didn't.

Now the market is changing again. And it's not mr Hogan who is changing it, but the people.

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
NextShowForSure Contributing Member • Posts: 510

Martin Ocando wrote:

NCV wrote:

epozar wrote:

600 euros in e-infinity

Grey market from the Far East.

I have an E-M1, an E-M5 Mark II, a 12-40mm 2.8 and a 35-100 2.8 all grey marker from far east. They all work great, have been working great for years, not a single hiccup (other than the usual E-M1 rear dial pitfalls), and will buy again in the blink of an eye.

In retrospect if I could go back I would just buy grey especially in the UK where even if you take off the VAT there is often up to 20% premium on the exchange rate price relative to the US price.

The non grey price is really a massive insurance premium with no end of clauses limiting liability and I have read of cases where if you have scuffed or scratched the camera you can just forget it.

NextShowForSure's gear list:NextShowForSure's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough 3000 Canon PowerShot D30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Fujifilm X-A3 +6 more
absquatulate Forum Pro • Posts: 10,205

DeathArrow wrote:

Photo Pete wrote:

Internet bloggers who are genuinely concerned about the health of the camera industry should be promoting a move away from this frantic turnover of new models and supporting the manufacturers in taking a more sustainable approach, rather than criticising their every move in an attempt to appear as an industry expert.

I value more opinions of experts and reviewers who care more about the needs of the photographers then about those of gear manufacturers.

Photography is a hobby, a profession for some, but seriously, get a sense of perspective. Hogan only really cares about traffic to his site, and the "needs" of photographers have never been better catered for than they are now.

What you propose seems like promoting staleness instead of innovation and bringing features that might help the photographers taking photos in more difficult conditions or easier.

It's never been easier to take photos in pretty much any conditions using what we already have.

What if we apply the same criteria to a different market? Should we applaud the lack of inovation in medical market? Should we promoting stoppin R&D for new drugs just some that an old company can make profits?

You can't seriously be suggesting that consumer camera production is even remotely comparable to life-saving medical treatment?

Unfortunately, in his continual criticism of the camera manufacturers, bloggers like Mr Hogan are part of the reason behind the declining market which he makes his living reporting on.

It's not mr Hogan's fault that soccer moms prefer smartphones. For regular folks smartphones are good enough, easier to use, more convenient, they have it already.

Should we blame people promoting digital photography for the demise of Kodak? Maybe it was the fault of Kodak managers. Fuji adapted very well to the market, Kodak didn't.

Now the market is changing again. And it's not mr Hogan who is changing it, but the people.

gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,792
Re: "their product line doesn't match consumer demand"

yonsito wrote:

That one sentence sums it up perfectly, IMHO. This is what many people have been writing about in this forum, in one form or another.

This invariably leads to the decreasing market share. I have no idea what the strategy behind this is. Olympus still inspires a lot of brand loyalty. It's just that they don't seem to know what to do with it.

Actually, Olympus has been very specific about their market strategy, going forward.

In one of the most recent financial reports the have outlined their intent to focus on (paraphrasing here) “high margin cameras, aimed at specialized market segments” . The E-M1 X seems to be the first of these high margin cameras.

If this is a winning strategy, remains to be seen. But, they seem to be executing according to plan.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +8 more
Re: FF can get you worse results.

NCV wrote:

We live in a strange world where logic does not seem to rule.

There is no better system than an EM5 sort of camera with the smaller more logical Panasonic lenses for travel, hiking and the sort of stuff that 99% of us do. I am going to shoot a friends concert soon. It will be M43 rather than FF as my EM5 and 35-100 is far more discrete.

It remains a great mystery to me why what would be the most logical ILC system for most is languishing at about 3% of market share for the two major participants of this format. It is a format that has never really "taken off" as I expected when at about the time the EM5 came out and seemed revolutionary.

Head over to https://shotkit.com/ random click on pro photographers and see what gear they use.

That is the kind of gear we are guaranteed we will continue to see in the future. And is not the clients wanting photographers to carry bigger cameras, those are people getting the tools that help them earn their daily living.

Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
JaKing
JaKing Senior Member • Posts: 5,380

Who will you buy your Nikon gear from when their camera division collapses?

Just asking ....

-- hide signature --

br, john, from you know where
My gear list and sordid past are here: https://www.dpreview.com/members/1558378718/overview
Gallery: https://www.canopuscomputing.com.au/zen2/page/gallery/

JaKing's gear list:JaKing's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-1 +27 more
Re: "their product line doesn't match consumer demand"

gary0319 wrote:

yonsito wrote:

That one sentence sums it up perfectly, IMHO. This is what many people have been writing about in this forum, in one form or another.

This invariably leads to the decreasing market share. I have no idea what the strategy behind this is. Olympus still inspires a lot of brand loyalty. It's just that they don't seem to know what to do with it.

Actually, Olympus has been very specific about their market strategy, going forward.

In one of the most recent financial reports the have outlined their intent to focus on (paraphrasing here) “high margin cameras, aimed at specialized market segments” . The E-M1 X seems to be the first of these high margin cameras.

If this is a winning strategy, remains to be seen. But, they seem to be executing according to plan.

The strategy is sound. It only depends how well they execute it.

Maybe it's time their management read Fujifilm's Shigetaka Komori's book: https://www.amazon.com/Innovating-Out-Crisis-Fujifilm-Vanishing-ebook/dp/B00OFK46V0/

Felice62 Senior Member • Posts: 1,933

JaKing wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

TN Args wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

MEDISN wrote:

False. Not all motion in a composition must be frozen. IBIS stabilizes my movement too.

Actually IBIS stabilizes your motion ONLY

Not your absolute motion. Just your motion relative to the scene.

Thanks for detailing

Felice, this photo was taken from a moving semi-pontoon footbridge with a hundred or so people walking across it. The bridge, camera and me were all moving. The IBIS made this shot possible.

Eureka tower, Melbourne.

It's a one of a kind situation, isn't it?

-- hide signature --

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +28 more

JaKing wrote:

Just asking ....

If Nikon's camera division collapses I would buy gear from other makers. I do not care about particular companies.

I might change my gear even if Nikon does well because I only care about getting the best for the money I have to spend on gear.

NextShowForSure Contributing Member • Posts: 510

JaKing wrote:

Just asking ....

The one you expect to collapse is probably the one that survives. It is like with a camera when that flimsy thing you expect to break is often not the problem.

Many Samsung users are still happily carrying on with their kit and thinking you know which one will give in first is pretty complacent and could lead to a bit of an unpleasant surprise.

With all the complex bespoke firmware in the bodies arguing with more of the same in the lenses it is all fixed time expired disposable junk anyhow however fine the optics may be.

NextShowForSure's gear list:NextShowForSure's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough 3000 Canon PowerShot D30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Fujifilm X-A3 +6 more
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,301
Re: Just close it

Photo Pete wrote:

NCV wrote:

Thorgrem wrote:

It would be good for this forum to just close these kinds of topics. It's boring, brings nothing new, instigates polarization and only brings negativity to this part of the forum.

Why?

What Hogan wrote is quite interesting.

It says what many think; that M43 is going in the wrong direction.

The winning aspect of M43 is its compactness. What we have seen of late is just "bloatware".

And re-posting what he is moaning about achieves what exactly?

it won’t change the m43 development strategy. The camera manufacturers stopped paying attention to Thom a long while ago... even his insider knowledge of Nikon appears to have dried up, no matter what he proclaims.

Threads like these achieve nothing more than to irritate m43 users who are happy with their choice of system and attempt to suck the enjoyment from their ownership and use of it.

It is rather strange that none of those self-proclaimed industry experts who profess to know what manufacturers should be producing actually use their knowledge to design, manufacture and market camera equipment. Much easier to criticise than to create I guess.

I don't understand these kinds of posts. If you don't like the topic keep scrolling. There are plenty of other discussions to take part in.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads