Worse than I thought

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 4,332
Re: They should ...

mmartel wrote:

jwilliams wrote:

They should engrave an image of the EM1x on the headstone of Olympus when the time comes (and it might not be far away).

I've never seen a company blow a lead in an industry (mirrorless cameras) like they have.

Yahoo? AOL? Nokia? Sun Microsystems? IBM? Kodak?!

Such illustrious company they are keeping for sure.

At least the only camera related company on that list, Kodak, took 100 years to blow their lead.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Veteran Member • Posts: 9,643
if you really want to worry

just wonder which car to buy next, the rate the manufacturers are losing market share / going out of business + the drive to get rid of diesel and petrol vehicles in the next 20 years would really give me cause for concern (were it not for the fact I am old enough that the odds are I shall be long gone by the time its really a worry )

in my view, cameras aren't a long term investment but tools to be used and enjoyed now.

If a maker goes out of business or there is a better product announced, either keep on shooting with your current kit or dump it for the new system (which in turn will go out of business or be superseded by yet another tech revolution)

Life is to short to worry about such things

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro
Things like ....

Felice62 wrote:

Are more than informed enthusiasts or experts, so they count fairly more to OEMs.

One more reason to ask why in the known universe Olympus invested in coming up with the M1X.

Another factor is that higher mp APS-C low entry cameras aare producing nice images just like the best mft bodies out there..

Why would the ignorant put his/her money into such a niche platform?

Things like this aren't helping either.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/8550002626/rokinon-announces-pricing-availability-of-its-new-45mm-f1-8-lens-for-sony-full-frame-cameras

$400 dollars for what is the equivalent of a 22.5 f0.9 m43 lens. Roughly 1/3 the price and 1/3 the weight of the Oly 25 1.2 . Not hard to see where the value proposition is.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Thorgrem Contributing Member • Posts: 760
Just close it

It would be good for this forum to just close these kinds of topics. It's boring, brings nothing new, instigates polarization and only brings negativity to this part of the forum.

Thorgrem's gear list:Thorgrem's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
Fazal Majid
Fazal Majid Senior Member • Posts: 1,728
Re: if you really want to worry

Brian Wadie wrote:

just wonder which car to buy next, the rate the manufacturers are losing market share / going out of business + the drive to get rid of diesel and petrol vehicles in the next 20 years would really give me cause for concern (were it not for the fact I am old enough that the odds are I shall be long gone by the time its really a worry )

My in-laws who live in London had to ditch their diesel car for a hybrid because the congestion charge would be prohibitive (£30/day) otherwise.

in my view, cameras aren't a long term investment but tools to be used and enjoyed now.

Good lenses are, though, and if a system is going down, it may make sense to offload them before they lose their residual value.

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Sony RX1R II Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-T2 Leica M10 Nikon Z7 +28 more
Re: Worse than I thought

SpinOne wrote:

NCV wrote:

I pass by Hogan's site every so often to see his often interesting thoughts on the camera industry. I do not always agree with what he says.

But reading through this article he give the value of Olympus's market share in the ILC market. The figures are quite shocking. They are now at 3.3% down from a fairly recent healthy 8% when they had a winning team of cameras on the market.

sigh

Market share doesn't matter -- especially in a shrinking market. Profitability is what matters.

Last I heard Oly was loosing money.  Did they just start making loads of money?

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 8,015

SpinOne wrote:

Market share doesn't matter -- especially in a shrinking market. Profitability is what matters.

Having a 3% slice of a shrinking pie doesn't strike me as being a route to high profitability.  , and Olympus' camera-imaging division has a long history of being unprofitable.

NCV
OP NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 8,920

Fazal Majid wrote:

Brian Wadie wrote:

My in-laws who live in London had to ditch their diesel car for a hybrid because the congestion charge would be prohibitive (£30/day) otherwise.

Good lenses are, though, and if a system is going down, it may make sense to offload them before they lose their residual value.

Exactly

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D810
NCV
Re: Just close it

Thorgrem wrote:

It would be good for this forum to just close these kinds of topics. It's boring, brings nothing new, instigates polarization and only brings negativity to this part of the forum.

Why?

What Hogan wrote is quite interesting.

It says what many think; that M43 is going in the wrong direction.

The winning aspect of M43 is its compactness. What we have seen of late is just "bloatware".

Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Veteran Member • Posts: 9,643

NCV wrote:

Fazal Majid wrote:

Brian Wadie wrote:

Exactly

so, if worried sell the m4/3rds lenses, buy a metabones smart T then load up with canon L lenses to keep your investment safe

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro
Thorgrem Contributing Member • Posts: 760

Hogan is telling what people like to hear. Negativity sells and he is payed for giving his opinion and generating clicks with it.

That you find it most fascinating is obvious because you are nagging about it for a long time on this forum. Far to long and far to often to take it seriously.

Thorgrem's gear list:Thorgrem's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
Okapi001 Senior Member • Posts: 4,872

Dennis wrote:

In the same time frame (2017-2019) that Olympus released two 16MP models and the E-M1X, Panasonic announced 7 m43 bodies (mostly at 20MP)

And yet Panasonic has even lower market share. How come?

Okapi001's gear list:Okapi001's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +16 more
NCV

Brian Wadie wrote:

NCV wrote:

Fazal Majid wrote:

Brian Wadie wrote:

Exactly

so, if worried sell the m4/3rds lenses, buy a metabones smart T then load up with canon L lenses to keep your investment safe

I use the trade in value of my equipment to upgrade, Like many, it makes my photography affordable. Digital photography gear has a useful life of about five or six years now.

I am due to replace my aging EM5's next year or so. If I continue with M43, I want to buy gear that has a good possibility of being supported over time. I do not want to find myself in the position of those who bought a rather good Samsung camera and then found it out that Samsung had stopped making cameras.

A Samsung camera or lens has almost zero resale value. I just do not want to find myself in that position.

NCV

Thorgrem wrote:

Hogan is telling what people like to hear. Negativity sells and he is payed for giving his opinion and generating clicks with it.

That you find it most fascinating is obvious because you are nagging about it for a long time on this forum. Far to long and far to often to take it seriously.

It is the first time we have seen some numbers that tell us just how M43 is selling.

It is just facts.

Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 24,208

NCV wrote:

Thorgrem wrote:

Why?

The winning aspect of M43 is its compactness. What we have seen of late is just "bloatware".

i would say the E-M1X is a camera that Oly could get to the market quite quickly as opposed to a totally updated model such as an E-M5 MKIII, it shows Olympus are still developing cameras, gets them interviews to confirm future updates to current products, so whilst it may be a parts bin special it keeps them in the news with a profile on many media and camera sites, could be a smart move or a white elephant, in these times who knows?

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +1 more

NCV wrote:

Thorgrem wrote:

Why?

Becase everything was already said about hundreds of times, and is really really boring and brings NOTHING NEW.

Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +16 more
NCV

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

NCV wrote:

Thorgrem wrote:

Why?

i would say the E-M1X is a camera that Oly could get to the market quite quickly as opposed to a totally updated model such as an E-M5 MKIII, it shows Olympus are still developing cameras, gets them interviews to confirm future updates to current products, so whilst it may be a parts bin special it keeps them in the news with a profile on many media and camera sites, could be a smart move or a white elephant, in these times who knows?

A bit expensive for a "parts bin special".

I think the bird photography brigade is the target for this camera. But I wonder if they considered that the ownership of huge lenses and cameras is part of the attraction for many who do this sort of stuff. I'm not talking about those who do it seriously and produce great work.

NCV

Okapi001 wrote:

NCV wrote:

Thorgrem wrote:

Why?

Becase everything was already said about hundreds of times, and is really really boring and brings NOTHING NEW.

Well the 3.3% number is new to most.

NCV wrote:

Okapi001 wrote:

NCV wrote:

Thorgrem wrote:

Why?

Well the 3.3% number is new to most.

And the number is based on what data? What are market shares of other manufacturers?

And what does that number matter anyway? How does market share translates into quality, or performance? What is the market share of Leica? Or Hasselblad?

Fazal Majid
Fazal Majid Senior Member • Posts: 1,728

jwilliams wrote:

Last I heard Oly was loosing money. Did they just start making loads of money?

Almost all the camera makers other than Canon, Nikon, Sony and Leica are losing money on their camera divisions. They keep going because of Japanese stubbornness.

Olympus makes a lot of money on their medical imaging (microscopes, endoscopes, etc.). They have stated some technologies enabled by the camera business benefit the medical business, which subsidizes cameras.

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Sony RX1R II Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-T2 Leica M10 Nikon Z7 +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads