A-Mount

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 6,609
Re: A-Mount

Good thoughts.

Unfortunately, in my view, we can sometimes reach a tipping point where even when something is better by many objective standards, the market has already moved on and won't recover.

jamo_spingal Junior Member • Posts: 30

I've just bought an A68 for my Sony and Minolta AF lenses and loving it. Long live the A Mount. Even IF Sony don't introduce another enthusiast level camera, my hardware will still be pretty advanced. AF performance is blistering fast and low light performance is fantastic. Top display and lens micro focus are the icing on the cake on an amazing value camera.

jamo_spingal's gear list:jamo_spingal's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A230 Sony SLT-A35 Sony a5000 Sony SLT-A68
cgarrard
OP cgarrard Forum Pro • Posts: 15,677

toughluck wrote:

cgarrard wrote:

... well?

I'd be sad to see it go quietly. I hope it doesn't.

It won't. Sony is extremely averse to killing off product lines without offering a migration path to another line

Are you saying that other line is E-Mount?

What are your thoughts on the management of the A-Mount since SLT?

Pretty much the same treatment as other niche products, maybe even better than some. Consider that Canon released their high end APS-c DSLR, EOS 7D ii at the same time as Sony released A77ii (six (or was it seven?) years ago). Neither camera was updated even though Canon probably sold more of that model than Sony sold all SLTs in that time. And I honestly think it's more likely we'll see A77iii than EOS 7D iii.

I hope so! I'm likely to get the A77II for my next article.

What should Sony do with the A-Mount?

Move back in time and make all Sony lens releases SSM or SAM, then make the A700 full frame with the Nikon D3/D700 sensor and sell it for the same price as the A700. Use the 12 megapixel APS-c sensor in A200 and A300. Avoid the A350. Follow up with A900 with its 24 megapixel sensor, continue development of their 16, 20 and 24 megapixel APS-c sensors, but only offer it in amateur SLTs. A6x and above needs to be full frame. Keep it simple -- 24 and 36/42 megapixel sensors in two body sizes.

Interesting thoughts, hindsight is always 20/20 right?

What do you think will happen with the A-Mount?

Nobody knows, I think even Sony doesn't know very well.

That's probably true.

-Carl

Appreciate your thoughts. All thoughts on this thread haven't surprised me much. All I know, is that I think the market is still hungry for SLT, long as the products tick those invisible boxes we have in our minds ;).

Carl

-- hide signature --
toughluck Veteran Member • Posts: 3,335

cgarrard wrote:

toughluck wrote:

cgarrard wrote:

... well?

It won't. Sony is extremely averse to killing off product lines without offering a migration path to another line

A viable upgrade path would mean that you don't sacrifice anything when you move to E mount. Right now, the screw mount lens adapter, LAEA4 is sub optimal.

Pretty much the same treatment as other niche products, maybe even better than some. Consider that Canon released their high end APS-c DSLR, EOS 7D ii at the same time as Sony released A77ii (six (or was it seven?) years ago). Neither camera was updated even though Canon probably sold more of that model than Sony sold all SLTs in that time. And I honestly think it's more likely we'll see A77iii than EOS 7D iii.

Move back in time and make all Sony lens releases SSM or SAM, then make the A700 full frame with the Nikon D3/D700 sensor and sell it for the same price as the A700. Use the 12 megapixel APS-c sensor in A200 and A300. Avoid the A350. Follow up with A900 with its 24 megapixel sensor, continue development of their 16, 20 and 24 megapixel APS-c sensors, but only offer it in amateur SLTs. A6x and above needs to be full frame. Keep it simple -- 24 and 36/42 megapixel sensors in two body sizes.

That's probably true.

-Carl

Appreciate your thoughts. All thoughts on this thread haven't surprised me much. All I know, is that I think the market is still hungry for SLT, long as the products tick those invisible boxes we have in our minds ;).

Carl

-- hide signature --
 toughluck's gear list:toughluck's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +5 more
ActionPhotoPassion Senior Member • Posts: 1,209
Re: Btw... the A58

lhkjacky wrote:

cgarrard wrote:

Again, I'm very much behind on all things SLT. I am considering doing an SLT review and still can't decide which model, almost got the A77II... however now... not sure

If you want do a review about Sony A-mount SLT camera, I recommend the A99mk2.
It is the only camera in market support hybrid PDAF. 42MP 12fps and excellent 4k video.
According to many review, the A99mk2 kill the Canon 5kmk4 in almost every aspects, such as image quality, resolution, video quality, buffer, burst rate, AF tracking, AF coverage, Eye AF, etc.

A77mk2 is also a great camera as well. It is almost 5 years old now, but it is still one of the best APSC camera in market. Especially when you compare to camera released at the same year Canon 7d mk2, you will find that the A77mk2 is almost close to perfect at that time. 24MP 12fps, Eye AF, XAVC-S, 79-point AF, etc.

I am looking forward Sony to release a new A77mk3 / A99mk3 before Tokyo Olympic.
Both Canon 5kmk4 and 7dmk2 haven't got upgrade yet.

Side note:

The review of A77m2 of dpreview doesn't even mention the eyeAF feature. Actually none of the reviews I had read about this camera does talk about eyeAF like if it's not existing....

However eye-AF has appeared as a must-have thing since its invention in A7m3 body... It seems ....

ActionPhotoPassion's gear list:ActionPhotoPassion's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony 28-75mm F2.8 SAM +15 more

cgarrard wrote:

toughluck wrote:

cgarrard wrote:

... well?

That's probably true.

-Carl

Carl

I like you optimism, but in my point of view only core A-mount users will continue with A-mount.

I personally have decided to continue to use what I have in A-mount, but have also decided not to shell out any penny more in A-mount...

Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony 28-75mm F2.8 SAM +15 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 42,255

The A77ii is getting long in the tooth but it’s still a good camera. The A99ii is the one to review. It’s an A7Rii sensor in an A77ii body with updated electronics.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
lhkjacky Senior Member • Posts: 2,867

ActionPhotoPassion wrote:

The review of A77m2 of dpreview doesn't even mention the eyeAF feature. Actually none of the reviews I had read about this camera does talk about eyeAF like if it's not existing....

However eye-AF has appeared as a must-have thing since its invention in A7m3 body... It seems ....

The reviewers from dpreview are not familiar with A-mount cameras. Their reviews are always full of mistakes. They are not interested in A-mount camera, therefore they don't take time to learn how to use the camera.

In A77mk2 review, they don't even know how to get autofocus in video mode. They said they have to turn the mode dial to other mode to focus and turn back to video mode every time to take a video. In fact, they don't have to do that, they can customize a button for autofocus. I pointed it out in the comment below the review and they corrected it.

In the A77mk2 review page 7, they said multi-frame noise reduction combine 3 images.
That is not truth, A77mk2 have two MFNR setting "Low" and "High", one combine 4 images and the other combine 12 images. I pointed it out in the comment below, Rishi have read the comment, but after 4 years, they still did correct it.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-slt-a77ii/7

They also use a wrong setting in the auto-focus test. They completely ignore Sony focus guide recommendation and set the camera in 100% opposite setting.

lhkjacky's gear list:lhkjacky's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Ricoh GR +6 more
woodturner Regular Member • Posts: 166

When you started this thread my first thought was “Odd, Why such an obvious cheap troll from someone who presents himself as a photography expert?"

I thought I was being cynical when I suggested:

You are merely trawling for free material and comments to base another article on. The motivation for starting this thread is therefore to get up to date info in one place to base another article on. Therefore to appear really informed and garner more Paypal support.”

Despite all the subsequent “Gee, tell me more” type follow-ups to those who took your bait, and you appearing to be a repeat offender with the same approach in other forums, you seemed to suggest I was wrong. OK, I thought good luck with it.

But now you have persuaded me I was right:

You said to QuietOC elsewhere in this thread:

(www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62674265)

“I'm very much behind on all things SLT. I am considering doing an SLT review and still can't decide which model, almost got the A77II... however now... not sure”.

So indeed you were just trawling for new material to base a blog post on, to be able to appear expert and up to date. Motivation? Perhaps gain subscribers and PayPal support, and possibly even blag a free camera to review from Sony?

I doubt you will provide a list of credits of your unpaid, unknowing research team. It would be rather long…..

Sloppy Journalism.

woodturner's gear list:woodturner's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX10 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 42,255

A curious post to say the least.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
cgarrard
Sigh.

woodturner wrote:

When you started this thread my first thought was “Odd, Why such an obvious cheap troll from someone who presents himself as a photography expert?"

You are merely trawling for free material and comments to base another article on. The motivation for starting this thread is therefore to get up to date info in one place to base another article on. Therefore to appear really informed and garner more Paypal support.”

Despite all the subsequent “Gee, tell me more” type follow-ups to those who took your bait, and you appearing to be a repeat offender with the same approach in other forums, you seemed to suggest I was wrong. OK, I thought good luck with it.

“I'm very much behind on all things SLT. I am considering doing an SLT review and still can't decide which model, almost got the A77II... however now... not sure”.

So indeed you were just trawling for new material to base a blog post on, to be able to appear expert and up to date. Motivation? Perhaps gain subscribers and PayPal support, and possibly even blag a free camera to review from Sony?

I doubt you will provide a list of credits of your unpaid, unknowing research team. It would be rather long…..

Sloppy Journalism.

You wouldn't believe any reply I gave you. But for others reading this nonsense...

I used to be a big part of the A-Mount community. I used to have a dedicated A-Mount website, used to meet with Sony, etc. etc. etc. I had a huge personal investment in all of it, and made a lot of friends along the way, some I still have today.

That said, without being involved in the community for such a long time now, I had my own thoughts about SLT but I thought it would be much better to confirm the general consensus and talk to others here.

There is absolutely nothing self serving by doing that. In fact, I just posted an article LAST NIGHT about Sony and the A-Mount/SLT on my site, not a review, but rather a piece about how much the A-Mount has relevance, how to support it, and such.

So you can think whatever you like about me, you, or any of you here.

Fact is, I have a different career, a very successful one that isn't photography or journalism that I've had for well over twenty years now. I don't need to write articles or do photography, I love to do them. It is something that gives me great pleasure.

In other words, whatever $12.50 I make through Amazon Associates every month or other month are pennies I don't need.

But if you think that is my primary motivation after that, I don't know what else to say.

Good luck bud!

Carl

-- hide signature --
cgarrard
Others should see this, it may get buried.

In reply to "Woodturner" on a different part of this thread, I am copying his and my reply to his:

woodturner wrote:

Sloppy Journalism.

You wouldn't believe any reply I gave you. But for others reading this nonsense...

I used to be a big part of the A-Mount community. I used to have a dedicated A-Mount website, used to meet with Sony, etc. etc. etc. I had a huge personal investment in all of it, and made a lot of friends along the way, some I still have today.

That said, without being involved in the community for such a long time now, I had my own thoughts about SLT but I thought it would be much better to confirm the general consensus and talk to others here.

There is absolutely nothing self serving by doing that. In fact, I just posted an article LAST NIGHT about Sony and the A-Mount/SLT on my site, not a review, but rather a piece about how much the A-Mount has relevance, how to support it, and such.

Fact is, I have a different career, a very successful one that isn't photography or journalism that I've had for well over twenty years now. I don't need to write articles or do photography, I love to do them. It is something that gives me great pleasure.

In other words, whatever $12.50 I make through Amazon Associates every month or other month are pennies I don't need.

But if you think that is my primary motivation after that, I don't know what else to say.

Good luck bud!

Carl

-- hide signature --
Silverback46
Silverback46 Senior Member • Posts: 1,367
Re: Others should see this, it may get buried.

cgarrard wrote:

In reply to "Woodturner" on a different part of this thread, I am copying his and my reply to his:

Good luck bud!

Carl

You should be ashamed Carl of trying to take advantage of the under privileged A mounters! 

Unfortunately this forum does not like any discussion that may in any way relate to the demise or end of A-mount cameras. It is not tolerated  . You may speak of the end of the world but any A-mount discussion that may lead down the path of extinction will be met by the A-luminati...and that is not pleasant.

My A-mount camera is now my odd camera out but it is still a great camera and I very much enjoy shooting with it.

Silver

Silverback46's gear list:Silverback46's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T20
cgarrard
Re: Others should see this, it may get buried.

Lol, thanks bud

-- hide signature --
Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,343
It is actually funny

I wrote a post (see above ) praising the A mount, then saying it will probably fade away for a variety of reasons I listed.

Then.... Lensmate immediately called me a "side kick flamer" and five other people quickly agreed with him. I don't believe I said anything to support that notion, and my posting history is there for anyone to see. But I let it go, because it never pays to get into a contest with people who prefer name calling over civilized debate.

Some folks have actually come to the point where they label anyone that they disagree with as a flamer or a troll. Then others will pile on, giving their "thumbs up."

I suppose it takes all kinds....

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +14 more
Massao Contributing Member • Posts: 935

tqlla wrote:

cgarrard wrote:

That would be sad if that happened.

I'm not up to date apparently, the f/3.5 nonsense? What happened?

The F3.5 limit, means are limited to F3.5 when shooting video with Auto focus.

Really? Does this apply to Sony a58?

Kind regards,

Massao

-- hide signature --

First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Samsung NX500 Sony SLT-A37 Pentax K-30 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony Alpha NEX-3 +36 more
Re: Most popular subject?

felix from the suburbs wrote:

I think market statistics speak for themselves. Camera sales overall are plunging and everyone seems to be rushing to introduce new mirrorless models while reporting reductions in profits (covered in various DPR releases). I suspect the real issue in the near future will be which companies will actually stay in the business and, in that context, the apparent minimal market share for A mount speaks for itself as far as future development goes. Might as well enjoy what we have in the interim.

True, but what if DSLR sales improve after this current down-fall? Say in 2-3 years? If it does, I'm sure Sony will release a new SLT camera.

Kind regards,

Massao

-- hide signature --

First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Samsung NX500 Sony SLT-A37 Pentax K-30 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony Alpha NEX-3 +36 more
QuietOC
QuietOC Senior Member • Posts: 3,056

Massao wrote:

tqlla wrote:

cgarrard wrote:

Yes, it applies to every SLT including the LA-EA2 and LA-EA4 adapters for E-mount. It also applies to the special high-speed stills capture on SLTs.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a77 II Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +128 more

QuietOC wrote:

Massao wrote:

tqlla wrote:

cgarrard wrote:

Yes, it applies to every SLT including the LA-EA2 and LA-EA4 adapters for E-mount. It also applies to the special high-speed stills capture on SLTs.

Thank you for confirming. Such a pity!!

Kind regards,

Massao

-- hide signature --

lhkjacky wrote:

ActionPhotoPassion wrote:

The reviewers from dpreview are not familiar with A-mount cameras. Their reviews are always full of mistakes. They are not interested in A-mount camera, therefore they don't take time to learn how to use the camera.

In A77mk2 review, they don't even know how to get autofocus in video mode. They said they have to turn the mode dial to other mode to focus and turn back to video mode every time to take a video. In fact, they don't have to do that, they can customize a button for autofocus. I pointed it out in the comment below the review and they corrected it.

In the A77mk2 review page 7, they said multi-frame noise reduction combine 3 images.
That is not truth, A77mk2 have two MFNR setting "Low" and "High", one combine 4 images and the other combine 12 images. I pointed it out in the comment below, Rishi have read the comment, but after 4 years, they still did correct it.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-slt-a77ii/7

They also use a wrong setting in the auto-focus test. They completely ignore Sony focus guide recommendation and set the camera in 100% opposite setting.

Ok... Now it doesn't really explain in that case why when reviewing an emount camera they would go deep down the same existing menus but not in the case of A-mount.

Except certainly as you said it, they just don't wanna bother, resulting in biased review...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads