I still own the first Nikon I ever bought!

Started 2 months ago | Photos
Weegee
Weegee Senior Member • Posts: 2,414
I still own the first Nikon I ever bought!

Never seen the repair shop. A true workhorse and esthetically beautiful.

Tuloom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,141
Re: I still own the first Nikon I ever bought!

Knock the glass out of that lens with a screw driver.

They make sweet African Violet planters.

Rolen Regular Member • Posts: 144

Everything that was made in that era -- cars, cameras, electronics -- look aesthetically more pleasing. I think it's due to the type of manufacturing process they've used. Everything they designed and made required more human touch. Today that human touch has been replaced with computers and machines.

Tuloom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,141

yeah, that crappy unergonomic shutter release on the top plate looks a joy. I wanna crane my finger in some duffy yoga position. LOLz.

thank god Sony fixed that bit of retro bow-down foolishness on the second go round with the A7II.

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 12,888

Me too! But I just bought it in September of last year.

Leswick II Contributing Member • Posts: 738

Some folks don't know how to deal with a work-around.  There was a "soft shutter" available, that fitted perfectly into the threads of Nikon F.  It worked like a charm....for years.  Both, the "F" and my F2A were tanks and were made to withstand lots of abuse.

By the way, have you heard about the "F" that felled out of an aircraft and landed in snow?  The camera was found and *it worked*....and Nikon quickly used that in their marketing.

Love to see what sort of mangled mess would that be if my D610 took that drop :-D.

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 10,477

I had one of those . I bought it to use it with a waist level finder as I was into macro at the time.

I did get a soft shutter release too , one of the many gadgets I had no problem selling to myself .

Miike Dougherty
Miike Dougherty Contributing Member • Posts: 774

More than just a body.

Miike Dougherty's gear list:Miike Dougherty's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Tamron 17-35mm F2.8-4 +1 more

With Nikon I ended up having 13 lenses, most F mounts (several converted to AI) as in your photo.

One was a bellow lens, can't remember what.

Before that I had Canon, then Olympus.

After Nikon , Minolta and then Sony.

Doug Larvey Regular Member • Posts: 372

Thats really cool.

felix from the suburbs
felix from the suburbs Senior Member • Posts: 1,254

Brings back memories of flipping through the back pages of Popular Photography (the magazine in which  B&H seemed to have about 30 pages of ads) and seeing cameras like yours advertised.  Times sure have changed.

felix from the suburbs's gear list:felix from the suburbs's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Canon PowerShot SX710 Nikon D90 Sony Alpha DSLR-A500 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 +19 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,680

The first camera I truly fell in love with was the Nikon F2s and 50/1.4 lens. I bought it in 1975 from a Hong Kong mail order place called T.M. Chan & Co. they had the best catalogues ever. They were printed on rice paper and had really clumsy Engrish descriptions. I foolishly sold it sometime later to finance a Bronica ETRs.

A number of years ago I decided I wanted another one and found a nice one in Japan. It’s a year newer than my first one but just as pretty. I eventually managed to get a 35/3.5, 85/1.8 and 105/2.5, all contemporaneous to the camera.

I even shot a roll of B&W film with it and won a competition.

Art Jacks Senior Member • Posts: 2,993

On leaving photographic college in 1972 I could only afford a Nikkormat, an excellent robust camera body which had a vertical operating shutter which allowed faster electronic flash sync, I still have it but no photo to hand, as a bit more money became available I went on the F, F2A, F3, F4s journey before starting again on the D100, D200, D700, D800, d850 journey.

-- hide signature --

No introductions, no explanations, no justifications, all I ask is that you give each image a little of your time.

DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 1,051

Me too, I bought it 6 months ago. Should we make a club?

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 23,456

Tuloom wrote:

yeah, that crappy unergonomic shutter release on the top plate looks a joy. I wanna crane my finger in some duffy yoga position. LOLz.

Topcon put the shutter release in the right place.

thank god Sony fixed that bit of retro bow-down foolishness on the second go round with the A7II.

I don't know of any current camera with a well placed shutter button.

The top position is the simplest in design, for a traditional roller-blind shutter, but the worst for the user.

D Cox wrote:

Tuloom wrote:

Topcon put the shutter release in the right place.

I don't know of any current camera with a well placed shutter button.

The top position is the simplest in design, for a traditional roller-blind shutter, but the worst for the user.

Could be personal taste.

For one I prefer the shutter at the top.

I strongly suspect that if indeed the shutter button at the front was a better way of doing it it would be the standard by now.

tcg550 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,714

I still own the first Nikon slr I bought as well, mine's not as old but I also have my dad's Kodak Retina Relex S from the late 50s.

I couldn't find the P mode though so I put it back in the bag.

Weegee
OP Weegee Senior Member • Posts: 2,414
Do you still own those Miike?

I noticed the shot was from 2009.

Darrell Spreen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,534
Nice photo

Attractive setting with the different elements of the picture.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 6,236

Still own the EM I bought in the mid-80s. It's the only reason I still have it, actually.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads