GR II Low Light ISO and General Opinions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
JICastle New Member • Posts: 11
GR II Low Light ISO and General Opinions

Hello! I'm new to the forum, Ricoh cameras, dedicated Point and Shoots (have used iPhone for years),  but I'm in the market for a GRII or GRIII. I've been into photography on and off for several years, but am finally honing in on my preferences and personal artistic path. The Ricoh GR line seems to offer exactly what I'm after in all aspects.

Regarding Ricoh Cameras - I like the updates I've read about the GRIII, but I really love the price of the GRII and the fact that I can get the GW-3 adapter (because I REALLY love that option) for under the price of the GRIII alone.

My thought is that the GRII has worked so well for so many people for several years that given my newbie position, it should be absolutely fine for me. The only concern I have is the low light ISO/image noise (Not too concerned about the slow low light  AF. I'm fine using snap/taking my time composing shots). I'm not after exposing or brightening a low-light shot by cranking the ISO just to be able to see everything better. I want a natural shot, with the shadows and dim lighting as they are - a natural representation of the environment. Are photos like this possible with minimal grain, perhaps using 1600-3200 max iso?

Thanks!

Ricoh GR II Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP JICastle New Member • Posts: 11
Re: GR II Low Light ISO and General Opinions

In seeking "General Opinions", I was just wondering what others think about the GRII still being a capable camera and why/how.

James Bligh Senior Member • Posts: 2,354

JICastle wrote:

In seeking "General Opinions", I was just wondering what others think about the GRII still being a capable camera and why/how.

I think GR2 is a better value than GR3 which has many QC issues for example

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62655996

GR2 is proven in reliability department at least and has no issues with a possible exception of dust in sensor which is a common issue among collapsible lens design cameras and can be cleaned with nominal fee.

And I believe GR2 has a better interface.

BTW I think Ricoh should discontinue GR3 and launch GR3.1 like Nikon did with D600 and D610.

P.S.: My wish is Ricoh launch GR4 with 24 MP sensor and better AF implementation in GR2 body minus nonsense stuff like preprocessor, IBIS, touchscreen etc.

-- hide signature --

You really want you a pound of flesh, don't you?
-- Mallory to Miller in the movie 'The Guns of Navarone'

MrHollywood
MrHollywood Senior Member • Posts: 2,960

JICastle wrote:

Hello! I'm new to the forum, Ricoh cameras, dedicated Point and Shoots (have used iPhone for years), but I'm in the market for a GRII or GRIII. I've been into photography on and off for several years, but am finally honing in on my preferences and personal artistic path. The Ricoh GR line seems to offer exactly what I'm after in all aspects.

Regarding Ricoh Cameras - I like the updates I've read about the GRIII, but I really love the price of the GRII and the fact that I can get the GW-3 adapter (because I REALLY love that option) for under the price of the GRIII alone.

My thought is that the GRII has worked so well for so many people for several years that given my newbie position, it should be absolutely fine for me. The only concern I have is the low light ISO/image noise (Not too concerned about the slow low light AF. I'm fine using snap/taking my time composing shots). I'm not after exposing or brightening a low-light shot by cranking the ISO just to be able to see everything better. I want a natural shot, with the shadows and dim lighting as they are - a natural representation of the environment. Are photos like this possible with minimal grain, perhaps using 1600-3200 max iso?

Thanks!

Noise is an overblown issue for pixel peepers. The noise from the GRII at ISO 1600 is okay and pretty film-like.

Personally I don't see the value in the GRIII at its "introductory" insane price, but that's just me.

The GRII is a very fine camera and you can still do great work with it, just like many other older makes and models that people are earning good money with or winning awards with.

It ain't the camera. It's YOU that matters.

Rob

-- hide signature --

"We need a bigger boat."

MrHollywood's gear list:MrHollywood's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Nikon D850 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +15 more
teemodk Senior Member • Posts: 1,190
 teemodk's gear list:teemodk's gear list
Oppo R7 Plus
Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,228

MrHollywood wrote:

JICastle wrote:

Hello! I'm new to the forum, Ricoh cameras, dedicated Point and Shoots (have used iPhone for years), but I'm in the market for a GRII or GRIII. I've been into photography on and off for several years, but am finally honing in on my preferences and personal artistic path. The Ricoh GR line seems to offer exactly what I'm after in all aspects.

My thought is that the GRII has worked so well for so many people for several years that given my newbie position, it should be absolutely fine for me. The only concern I have is the low light ISO/image noise (Not too concerned about the slow low light AF. I'm fine using snap/taking my time composing shots). I'm not after exposing or brightening a low-light shot by cranking the ISO just to be able to see everything better. I want a natural shot, with the shadows and dim lighting as they are - a natural representation of the environment. Are photos like this possible with minimal grain, perhaps using 1600-3200 max iso?

Thanks!

Noise is an overblown issue for pixel peepers. The noise from the GRII at ISO 1600 is okay and pretty film-like.

yes this is correct. And for the noise obsessed , dxo is very good at  noise reduction

Personally I don't see the value in the GRIII at its "introductory" insane price, but that's just me.

NO that’s not just you . Many others feel that way

As for me, i do not want to be misleading. I would not get the GR3 at half the price but i gladly pay 1,000 ($ or €) for a gr2 mark Ii with the 24mp sensor and the new lens ( if it is indeed proven to be better than the lens on the II model which has yet to be demonstrated) and even more if it had the proviso for an optional external high res evf

The GRII is a very fine camera and you can still do great work with it, just like many other older makes and models that people are earning good money with or winning awards with.

exactly. This definitely is the case with my GR2

It ain't the camera. It's YOU that matters.

well yes but the camera matters too. Case in point I can think of dozens of great pics I took with the GRI or II that I would not have been able to take had i the GRIII in my hands instead

Rob

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
Harold66

JICastle wrote:

Hello

I am a full time photographer and i can confirm that of course the GRII is still a very capable and kind of unique camera and is in several ways better than the model just released

i have used the GR line for mire than a decade and used extensively the GRI & GRII since they came out. The user interface of the GRII is as good as it gets on a fixed lens camera

when I saw all the downgrades of the user interface on the new model , I bought a GRII back up while they are still around. Now i even have two back up

my advice to you is to buy the grIi and the wide angle converter as soon as you find one at a good price

Harold

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
Olifaunt Contributing Member • Posts: 756

This guy has a a lot of fantastic low light GR-ii shots. I could never get mine to look that good but at least it gives an existence proof that it can be done:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davide_albani/

Thanks for your response! I dig your desire and idea of a 24mm GR4 or a GR3.1!

MrHollywood
MrHollywood Senior Member • Posts: 2,960

BTW, I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I replaced my GRII with a Sony RX100 VI and "overall" it's a more powerful photographic tool.

I'm getting better shots with the Sony and many more keepers due to the flexible Zeiss optics and the superior AF, not to mention real viewfinder. The difference in sensor size proved to be of minimal importance vs. the advantages that the Sony offers.

And sadly....Yeah...it's also crazy expensive. ;-(

Rob

-- hide signature --

"We need a bigger boat."

MrHollywood's gear list:MrHollywood's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Nikon D850 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +15 more

Wow, thanks for taking the time to do this! Lots of these look good I do like the film-like grain on the B/W ones I peaked at.

Harold66 wrote:

JICastle wrote:

Hello

i have used the GR line for mire than a decade and used extensively the GRI & GRII since they came out. The user interface of the GRII is as good as it gets on a fixed lens camera

when I saw all the downgrades of the user interface on the new model , I bought a GRII back up while they are still around. Now i even have two back up

Haha, nice! That's cool, cuz real world use and handling really does matter, though it can often be an afterthought when tech specs steal our attention.

my advice to you is to buy the grIi and the wide angle converter as soon as you find one at a good price

Thanks for your advice. Do you think a used GRII is ok? I am hesitant d/t possible dust already existing and am leery of buying used electronics in general because I've kinda been conditioned to think that way I guess. Also, does shutter count matter in a situation like this?

Harold

Harold66

JICastle wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

JICastle wrote:

Hello

Haha, nice! That's cool, cuz real world use and handling really does matter, though it can often be an afterthought when tech specs steal our attention.

Thanks for your advice. Do you think a used GRII is ok?

Well to be honest , i would not recommend it. Unless you found one barely used from a reputable dealer with some kind of warranty ( even 30 days would give you time to check the camera)

this is why i am recommending to buy a new one. Not sure what your budget is but you should be able to get one around 400$ or €

I am hesitant d/t possible dust already existing and am leery of buying used electronics in general because I've kinda been conditioned to think that way I guess. Also, does shutter count matter in a situation like this?

yes it does . Although both my GR I and II are doing fine, there has been reports of GR shutter problem around the 35,000 or 40,000

Harold

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

Thank you! I have planned on buying new, just didn't understand whether you meant for me to buy used or new, but now I know.

The lowest price I've found in the states for a new GRII is $546 for just the camera. $148 for the GW3.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 269

Olifaunt wrote:

This guy has a a lot of fantastic low light GR-ii shots. I could never get mine to look that good but at least it gives an existence proof that it can be done:

I always assumed low light meant night.

Olifaunt Contributing Member • Posts: 756

TakiNufuji wrote:

Olifaunt wrote:

I always assumed low light meant night.

It doesn't. But there are a number of night shots.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads