Is everybody switching to Sony?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
BackPacker1532 Regular Member • Posts: 194
Re: Is everybody switching to Sony?

No!

BackPacker1532's gear list:BackPacker1532's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix L320 Nikon D3 Nikon D850 +6 more
StevieF Contributing Member • Posts: 651

Without doubt - the heavier the camera the better. That’s why Nikon 1 system failed, not heavy enough & the lenses couldn’t take the battering.

-- hide signature --

You may think that - I couldn't possibly comment.

StevieF's gear list:StevieF's gear list
Nikon Df Ricoh GR Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +11 more
flyinglentris
flyinglentris Regular Member • Posts: 420

R Vaquero wrote:

I’m watching these days how a lot of photographers - most of them amateurs, but quite a few pros as well- are switching so Sony as if their lives depend on it.

No doubt Sony is releasing good products especially in mirrorless market- and our Nikons have sensors made by them- but I can’t help thinking of about 15 years ago when everybody said Canon was the thing to go... What are your thoughts about?

Not switching.

-- hide signature --

flyinglentris in LLOMA

emem
emem Veteran Member • Posts: 4,357
Re: Some numbers

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

110 and 126.

That is what the phone cams replaced.

124 and 135

This is what DSLRs and D-MILCs replaced.

Stan

Something of a stretch. Neither my kids (now in their 30's) or any of their friends ever picked up a 110 or 126 type film camera. I don't think phone cameras replaced anything. Young people who had never taken photographs suddenly and spontaneously started - just because it was made easy and convenient for them.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney.

emem's gear list:emem's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Nikon D300S Pentax K-5 IIs +12 more
PhozoKozmos
PhozoKozmos Senior Member • Posts: 1,431
most just trying out Sonys (blackout-view) FF "mirrorless" ILCs before settling for FF alternatives

R Vaquero wrote:

I’m watching these days how a lot of photographers - most of them amateurs, but quite a few pros as well- are switching so Sony as if their lives depend on it.

no. not really.

No doubt Sony is releasing good products especially in mirrorless market- and our Nikons have sensors made by them- but I can’t help thinking of about 15 years ago when everybody said Canon was the thing to go... What are your thoughts about?

most just trying out Sonys (blackout-view) Half-View FF "mirrorless" ILCs before settling for other FF alternatives:

• Nikon (blackout-view) Half-View FF (mirrorless or dSLR) ILCs before settling for other FF alternatives ...
  • Canon (Full-Live-View) blackout-free FF ILCs (mirrorless or dSLRs), or older generation "blackout-view" ILCs or dcams

those who no longer want blackout-view (Half-View) FF ILCs (MILCs or dSLRs or fixed lens digicams), go for Full-Live-View FF ILCs = (Canon EOS R, RP, 1DXMKII)

-- hide signature --

pzk
phos.zoe.kosmos (light.life.world)
phos-kosmos (light of the world)
phos-zoe (light of life)
photo-graph-them-all!

PhozoKozmos's gear list:PhozoKozmos's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D
Stan Disbrow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,489
Re: Some numbers

Hi,

Yes, I think you are correct when it comes to the younger folks. Because phone cameras exist in, if not all, almost all phones. Just another feature for most phones. The main feature for some.

Back in 1980, when I began with IBM, I used 110 film to document things electronic I was working on in R+D. Then, the Still Video Camera (electronic imaging in analog) replaced film. Then, by 1994, digital replaced analog.

By then, I was with Ericsson making the entire phone revolution happen. I was then using a small Nikon Coolpix. When we got to the T68 phone, the guys over in accessories decided to make me a VGA digital camera that attached to the bottom of a GSM-4 chipset phone. The T68 was great for that as it had a color screen and also Bluetooth to attach to a notebook PC with to move the shots.

That worked so well, we decided to make it a product called the Communicam. It sold like the proverbial hotcakes. After that, we stuck cameras in all our new designs. Once we did this, everyone did. That began the 'keep stuffing the phones' with item after item until we had the Smartphone. This, all well before Apple jumped in.

Some of our models were Camera First. There was even a Pro shooter that wandered about the US shooting with one Camera First model and published a coffee table book with lots of shots. Interesting how it all took off like that.

But, the entire idea began with a way to do the 110 or 126 camera thing. The idea of always having a camera with you. No matter how poorly it might work, the cam you have is better than the excellent one you left behind. The mantra of Instamatic.

That so many phone camera users are unaware of Instamatic has no bearing on where the basic ideas came from. All these current offerings are still replacing film cameras in one way or another. Even the formats and aspect ratios remain those of film for the most part. Hence my use of those old type numbers.

Oh, and the camera modules we used? Sony. There was a close connection between Sony and Ericsson years before they made up an official joint venture. So, that sort-of fits in with this discussion.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume
your bank account, it will! Like mine, it did!

Stan Disbrow's gear list:Stan Disbrow's gear list
Kodak DCS520 Kodak DCS760 Nikon D1H Nikon Df Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM +22 more
emem
emem Veteran Member • Posts: 4,357
Ahh! Now I see where you're coming from :-) - n/t
-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney.

emem's gear list:emem's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Nikon D300S Pentax K-5 IIs +12 more
Jvlahakis
Jvlahakis Regular Member • Posts: 295

Hell no.  Small bodies with heavy lenses.  Horrible menu system.  At least the Nikon Z's small bodies have smaller lenses than Sony.  Weather sealing is better on Nikon, and I've never had an issue with any Nikon I owned, and why would we switch systems, and go through selling all of our gear at a loss, and buying all new stuff?  It's the photographer's skill level, not the gear that makes us.

Jvlahakis's gear list:Jvlahakis's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Leica M-Monochrom Pentax 645Z Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X +10 more
inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,697

R Vaquero wrote:

No.

I have a Sony RX1R ii and am thinking of selling that and buying Nikon’s 35/1.8 S for my Z6. It’s about on par for low light but better AF, menus, battery, and a smart raw file format(NEFs). Sony’s raw format is idiotic - lossy compression which actually creates artifacts and visible image degradation or uncompressed raws.

SnapBridge also works far better giving geotagging.

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4
R Vaquero
OP R Vaquero Contributing Member • Posts: 995

Jvlahakis wrote:

Hell no. Small bodies with heavy lenses. Horrible menu system. At least the Nikon Z's small bodies have smaller lenses than Sony. Weather sealing is better on Nikon, and I've never had an issue with any Nikon I owned, and why would we switch systems, and go through selling all of our gear at a loss, and buying all new stuff? It's the photographer's skill level, not the gear that makes us.

That’s just what I think as well.

ActionPhotoPassion Senior Member • Posts: 1,178
Re: Photographs, mobile phones and subsets .........

DeathArrow wrote:

ActionPhotoPassion wrote:

Long lenses shooters will have the edge for a while.... I probably should go paparazzi I heard big money from one single possible shot yesterday hehe

I've heard photojournalists make the least amount of money amongs photographers.

Yes, go paparazzi but make sure to catch the queen of England cheating with Donald Trump. Or at least fake it in PS:

It's a very good business in Spain: they have 2 tv channels running from 11:00am until 02:00am only gossiping (brain washing I should say) on Spanish people. So I guess it's an easy money business there. No such thing in France, don't know for other countries.

ActionPhotoPassion's gear list:ActionPhotoPassion's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +15 more
Yxa
Yxa Senior Member • Posts: 2,455

No I like to have good ergonomics and a Well built camera so Sony is out of the question for me

I do have some Sony gear

But as for Sony cameras , I don’t like the user experiance.

And for the tech , remember, DAT and Memorystick ?

I have them too

Yxa
Yxa Senior Member • Posts: 2,455
Sony

PhozoKozmos wrote:

R Vaquero wrote:

no. not really.

most just trying out Sonys (blackout-view) Half-View FF "mirrorless" ILCs before settling for other FF alternatives:

• Nikon (blackout-view) Half-View FF (mirrorless or dSLR) ILCs before settling for other FF alternatives ...
  • Canon (Full-Live-View) blackout-free FF ILCs (mirrorless or dSLRs), or older generation "blackout-view" ILCs or dcams

those who no longer want blackout-view (Half-View) FF ILCs (MILCs or dSLRs or fixed lens digicams), go for Full-Live-View FF ILCs = (Canon EOS R, RP, 1DXMKII)

Hello Sdaniella

Where have you been hiding?

blink667 Contributing Member • Posts: 692

R Vaquero wrote:

Sony cameras are technically interesting but their color rendition is poo and no where near Nikon (or Fuji) and I don't think build quality matches Nikon.  If I was going FF mirrorless I would wait for the next round of Nikon Z's.

MikeDale Junior Member • Posts: 39

Absolutely not. I ditched my A7RIII in favor of the Z7. It's the perfect compliment to my D850. Both cameras are superior to the A7RIII in my opinion.

MikeDale's gear list:MikeDale's gear list
Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8
Schrodingers_cat Senior Member • Posts: 2,237
No

No text.

bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,242
I switched to Sony about 8 years ago

Sold my old TV and bought a new Sony.  When our other tv died a year ago we bought a Sony to  replace that one too.

Were we talking about cameras?  I stick with Nikon cameras.  I probably wouldn't buy a Nikon TV just as I wouldn't buy a Sony camera.

TheCasualShooter
TheCasualShooter Regular Member • Posts: 188

R Vaquero wrote:

This is probably the weirdest reason you'll hear as to why I stick with nikon.

The sound of the and mirror slap during shutter release.

I know it's weird. Just like i prefer actual physical book over e-books because i love to smell the pages.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Keep the hunger for perfection.

TheCasualShooter's gear list:TheCasualShooter's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +5 more
Batdude
Batdude Senior Member • Posts: 3,943
Is Usually a Canon or Sony

The photographer usually has a Sony ML.

For video is a Canon.

Everybody else uses their awesome phones.

Oh and now I guess there is the DUAL cell phone user

I am usually the one around with "old" Nikon gear

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 2,091

R Vaquero wrote:

Herd mentality. I love my D850.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads