GRiii or Sony RX 100VI/VA

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
vallhall Senior Member • Posts: 1,018
GRiii or Sony RX 100VI/VA

Hello

I debatting with myself what camera i should buy. I have to buy based on user reviews, because i live far away from any dealers with these cameraes.

I only view pics on my screens, i dont print!.

I love the EVF on the RX, because i need glasses to use the LCD screens. That said the GR has bigger sensor, but i am not sure if i going to see any difference on my screens?.

I even have problem to tell my GX8 apart from my smartphone on the screens.

Could someone help me here?

Thanks in advance

vallhall's gear list:vallhall's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Samsung NX500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
illd3fined Regular Member • Posts: 327
Re: GRiii or Sony RX 100VI/VA

100% depends on what and how you like shoot (and from where)

if you don't have anything specific in mind, or don't always find yourself at particularly close shooting distances or spontaneous situations, than the Sony is a more versatile pocket camera for general, all-purpose photography. and of course, video

if you need the viewfinder then by all means get the Sony. any IQ benefit from a larger sensor will definitely be mitigated by small phone screens

-- hide signature --
 illd3fined's gear list:illd3fined's gear list
Sony RX100 II Ricoh GR III Apple iPhone XS
noshea Regular Member • Posts: 184

vallhall wrote:

Hello

I debatting with myself what camera i should buy. I have to buy based on user reviews, because i live far away from any dealers with these cameraes.

I love the EVF on the RX, because i need glasses to use the LCD screens. That said the GR has bigger sensor, but i am not sure if i going to see any difference on my screens?.

Thanks in advance

Given the conditions and context you've stated, I'd say for the Sony. What the GR has to offer above and beyond the Sony you would not appreciate as much, while the GR will never have an EVF, so there's no way around that. The Sony is the more flexible camera, and more than good enough for those that are not viewing or printing their pictures at large sizes.

noshea's gear list:noshea's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +8 more
OP vallhall Senior Member • Posts: 1,018

illd3fined wrote:

100% depends on what and how you like shoot (and from where)

if you don't have anything specific in mind, or don't always find yourself at particularly close shooting distances or spontaneous situations, than the Sony is a more versatile pocket camera for general, all-purpose photography. and of course, video

if you need the viewfinder then by all means get the Sony. any IQ benefit from a larger sensor will definitely be mitigated by small phone screens

Many thanks for your help. So much nice and helpful ppl in here!!!

Well, i mainly shoot scenery/landscape, and view my pics on my 4k 65 TV, ipad pro and imac 5k, so i almost never use the phonescreen for viewing.

And as i said even my smartphone(huawei P30 Pro) shows exelent detail on my 65 TV, so i have hard to tell the difference between my phone and my cameraes

Sony RX100 VI Samsung NX500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more

noshea wrote:

vallhall wrote:

Hello

Thanks in advance

Given the conditions and context you've stated, I'd say for the Sony. What the GR has to offer above and beyond the Sony you would not appreciate as much, while the GR will never have an EVF, so there's no way around that. The Sony is the more flexible camera, and more than good enough for those that are not viewing or printing their pictures at large sizes.

Many thanks for your time.

Yes, for now the little Sony makes more sence to me. I dont print, and if i was to, i am sure the Sony would do fine for small prints.

The biggest drawback is probarly the handling...or lack of, because the ergonimic suck

vallhall wrote:

Well, i mainly shoot scenery/landscape, and view my pics on my 4k 65 TV, ipad pro and imac 5k, so i almost never use the phonescreen for viewing.

And as i said even my smartphone(huawei P30 Pro) shows exelent detail on my 65 TV, so i have hard to tell the difference between my phone and my cameraes

glad to help

those are some big high quality screens you have. you'll definitely catch some lens and image quality differences on them at 28mm, but unless you expect to be taking lots of night or fast moving low-light scenes (or HDR) it's probably not worth giving up the viewfinder and versatility of the Sony

-- hide signature --

illd3fined wrote:

vallhall wrote:

glad to help

those are some big high quality screens you have. you'll definitely catch some lens and image quality differences on them at 28mm, but unless you expect to be taking lots of night or fast acting low-light scenes (or HDR) it's probably not worth giving up the viewfinder and versatility of the Sony

Yes, you and the others are realy helpful to me!.

Sorry for my bad englsih!

I live in a country with 6 months winter and darkness, so low light is very importent to me. I have to say even my Panasonic GX8 with the 12.35 2.8), not very fast, does good at ISO 3200, and i expect the GRiii and RX100VA is about the same

vallhall wrote:

I live in a country with 6 months winter and darkness, so low light is very importent to me. I have to say even my Panasonic GX8 with the 12.35 2.8), not very fast, does good at ISO 3200, and i expect the GRiii and RX100VA is about the same

no apologies needed!

at ISO 3200 your GX-8 is comparable to the RX100, but the GRIII is ahead by more than a stop (compare at 6400 for example). If you're happy with your ISO now then you should be happy with the Sony. the larger sensor of the GRIII is significantly better for low-light, but it's AF struggles in it, so likely still not worth the tradeoff in your case

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr18=lowlight&attr13_0=ricoh_griii&attr13_1=panasonic_dmcgx8&attr13_2=sony_dscrx100m5&attr13_3=sony_dscrx100m6&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=3200&attr16_1=3200&attr16_2=3200&attr16_3=3200&attr126_0=1&attr126_1=1&attr126_2=1&attr126_3=1&attr171_0=1&attr171_1=1&normalization=full&widget=663&x=-0.2170857142857145&y=-0.8404046487706555

-- hide signature --

illd3fined wrote:

vallhall wrote:

no apologies needed!

at ISO 3200 your GX-8 is comparable to the RX100, but the GRIII is ahead by more than a stop (compare at 6400 for example). If you're happy with your ISO now then you should be happy with the Sony. the larger sensor of the GRIII is significantly better for low-light, but it's AF struggles in it, so likely still not worth the tradeoff in your case

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr18=lowlight&attr13_0=ricoh_griii&attr13_1=panasonic_dmcgx8&attr13_2=sony_dscrx100m5&attr13_3=sony_dscrx100m6&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=3200&attr16_1=3200&attr16_2=3200&attr16_3=3200&attr126_0=1&attr126_1=1&attr126_2=1&attr126_3=1&attr171_0=1&attr171_1=1&normalization=full&widget=663&x=-0.2170857142857145&y=-0.8404046487706555

Many thanks for the link

Thats the dilemma, glad you point that out!. I want the GRs sensor and the Soyns AF.

On my GX8 the the DFD is always fast and relaible no matter, but i always use single AFS,

The GX8 probalry not a action camera for moving subject.

Decision descison

yusufmotiwala Regular Member • Posts: 292

I chose Rx100 III over original GR because of the f1.8 lens,  stabilization and custom apps which definitely gives RX100 an advantage over GR in night photography despite the smaller sensor. Extra MP also helped.

However, the same reasoning does not stand in case of GRiii and Rx100 VI. Griii has a larger and more MP sensor with built-in shake reduction. Rx100 vi lens is not faster than Griii and the ability to load custom apps is gone. So, in this case, Griii makes more sense to me, unless you need zoom capability.

-- hide signature --
 yusufmotiwala's gear list:yusufmotiwala's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +7 more
MrHollywood
MrHollywood Senior Member • Posts: 2,958
Objective Observations

vallhall wrote:

Hello

Thanks in advance

You've already received some very good answers, so let me add to the confusion!

1) Sensor: Assuming you know how to handle a camera fairly well, the difference between the sensors is much smaller than you might expect. Sensor tech has closed these gaps considerably over the years. That said, in absolute terms, the GR sensor gives you MORE control over DOF, better high ISO and a bit more resolution. This is the main win for the GR cameras. The GRIII sensor also has roughly 1.5 to 2 stops of DR advantage, but that doesn't translate to much. DR of both cameras is excellent and isn't going to cost a good shooter any shots. Still, it's a win for the GR.

2) Off/On: If being able to whip out a camera and have it instantly ready, the GR wins again. The Sony takes longer to turn on...long enough for a snake to crawl away!

3) Handling: This is hugely personal. Frankly I can handle both cameras equally well. I'd still give the GR the win though.

4) Framing: The GR has a non-articulated rear LCD. I added the optical viewfinder, which helped. The Sony has superior rear LCD that is actually articulated. Most importantly, the Sony has a fully implemented electronic 100% viewfinder that clearly shows me what I'm about to shoot. It's amazing. Even though the rear LCD is excellent on the Sony/GR, I still can't see them in bright light. But I can use the Sony's EVF even with sunglasses on. So if composition is a big deal to you, the Sony wins here in a very big way.

5) Lens: Oh boy! How do we honestly compare the Zeiss 24-200mm zoom to the Ricoh's 28mm prime? Both are fast at 2.8. The Sony VA is faster than BOTH. This really comes down to what you want to shoot. If you're mainly doing scenic and street, the 28mm might not feel limiting. But everywhere else the Sony is more versatile and the optics are outstanding. So with one Sony you get a faster wider lens and with the other you get a lens that's also 2.8, but also capable of 200mm at 4.5. Since all of these are properly sharp I think Sony wins this particular battle because versatility is generally king. After owning the GRII for a while I ended up feeling "trapped" at 28mm too often. I also shoot portraits, wildlife, sports etc. But even group shots often work better at 65mm. Sony wins overall, GR wins for the 28mm range. Anyone can make a sensible argument for THIER choice.

6) Auto Focus: Let's not undersell how important this is. The Sony has one of the best AF systems in ANY camera right now. At times it seems better than my D850! The GR is way below this, but you have to decide if the GR is "good enough." For me it generally worked and I didn't shoot a lot of dark scenes. But if you want a camera with the better AF, the Sony takes the win.

7) Video: I won't get into it. The Sony 4K video is not just good; it's ridiculously good and a lot of fun to play with. The GR doesn't do well here. Sony wins.

8) Flash: The Sony has a built in flash and it can be tilted back for bounce and works well for fill. Flash is useful if you understand how to take advantage of it. The GR has a hotshoe and that enables you to use a better flash than the built in Sony version.

9) Files and Color Science: Both cameras give RAW and JPEG options. I don't trust that Sony's not "cooking" their RAW files just a bit as they're not quite as neutral as I'd expect. I never loved the GR handling of colors and still don't. I think Sony has finally gotten closer to Nikon and Canon and finally has good colors. This is very subjective, but I'm a stickler for color on my twin calibrated monitors...Sony wins.

10) Portability: Are we kidding? The Sony is a bit smaller overall, but the GR is a bit thinner. They're both actually TOO small and I liked the size of the GRII and GRI better. I added a cage and grip to my RX100 VI because it's too small. I don't put unsealed cameras into pockets. I use clean bags and Pelican storage cases ALWAYS. A tiny bag is far better that any pocket, safer and can carry a battery or two. But these are both equally portable and pocketable if you must.

So which camera is "better" really comes down to what you want to do. If I was mainly a street shooter, the GR would still be with me. But I shoot a lot more subjects that the GR can't do at all. At the same time the Sony can do virtually everything the GR can. Yes, sometimes the GR will do them better, but the differences are smaller that some would like to believe.

In my view Sony has pushed the latest RX100 cameras well into the GR game, while the GR cannot play where the Sony can AT ALL. That's the big takeaway for most people.

If the GR had a viewfinder, better AF and perhaps a faster lens, it would have greater merit.

BOTH are excellent cameras and it's up to YOU to decide which will get you closest to the type of shooting you want to enjoy.

Rob

-- hide signature --

"We need a bigger boat."

MrHollywood's gear list:MrHollywood's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Nikon D850 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +15 more
Re: Objective Observations

MrHollywood wrote:

vallhall wrote:

Hello

Thanks in advance

You've already received some very good answers, so let me add to the confusion!

1) Sensor: Assuming you know how to handle a camera fairly well, the difference between the sensors is much smaller than you might expect. Sensor tech has closed these gaps considerably over the years. That said, in absolute terms, the GR sensor gives you MORE control over DOF, better high ISO and a bit more resolution. This is the main win for the GR cameras. The GRIII sensor also has roughly 1.5 to 2 stops of DR advantage, but that doesn't translate to much. DR of both cameras is excellent and isn't going to cost a good shooter any shots. Still, it's a win for the GR.

2) Off/On: If being able to whip out a camera and have it instantly ready, the GR wins again. The Sony takes longer to turn on...long enough for a snake to crawl away!

3) Handling: This is hugely personal. Frankly I can handle both cameras equally well. I'd still give the GR the win though.

4) Framing: The GR has a non-articulated rear LCD. I added the optical viewfinder, which helped. The Sony has superior rear LCD that is actually articulated. Most importantly, the Sony has a fully implemented electronic 100% viewfinder that clearly shows me what I'm about to shoot. It's amazing. Even though the rear LCD is excellent on the Sony/GR, I still can't see them in bright light. But I can use the Sony's EVF even with sunglasses on. So if composition is a big deal to you, the Sony wins here in a very big way.

5) Lens: Oh boy! How do we honestly compare the Zeiss 24-200mm zoom to the Ricoh's 28mm prime? Both are fast at 2.8. The Sony VA is faster than BOTH. This really comes down to what you want to shoot. If you're mainly doing scenic and street, the 28mm might not feel limiting. But everywhere else the Sony is more versatile and the optics are outstanding. So with one Sony you get a faster wider lens and with the other you get a lens that's also 2.8, but also capable of 200mm at 4.5. Since all of these are properly sharp I think Sony wins this particular battle because versatility is generally king. After owning the GRII for a while I ended up feeling "trapped" at 28mm too often. I also shoot portraits, wildlife, sports etc. But even group shots often work better at 65mm. Sony wins overall, GR wins for the 28mm range. Anyone can make a sensible argument for THIER choice.

6) Auto Focus: Let's not undersell how important this is. The Sony has one of the best AF systems in ANY camera right now. At times it seems better than my D850! The GR is way below this, but you have to decide if the GR is "good enough." For me it generally worked and I didn't shoot a lot of dark scenes. But if you want a camera with the better AF, the Sony takes the win.

7) Video: I won't get into it. The Sony 4K video is not just good; it's ridiculously good and a lot of fun to play with. The GR doesn't do well here. Sony wins.

8) Flash: The Sony has a built in flash and it can be tilted back for bounce and works well for fill. Flash is useful if you understand how to take advantage of it. The GR has a hotshoe and that enables you to use a better flash than the built in Sony version.

9) Files and Color Science: Both cameras give RAW and JPEG options. I don't trust that Sony's not "cooking" their RAW files just a bit as they're not quite as neutral as I'd expect. I never loved the GR handling of colors and still don't. I think Sony has finally gotten closer to Nikon and Canon and finally has good colors. This is very subjective, but I'm a stickler for color on my twin calibrated monitors...Sony wins.

10) Portability: Are we kidding? The Sony is a bit smaller overall, but the GR is a bit thinner. They're both actually TOO small and I liked the size of the GRII and GRI better. I added a cage and grip to my RX100 VI because it's too small. I don't put unsealed cameras into pockets. I use clean bags and Pelican storage cases ALWAYS. A tiny bag is far better that any pocket, safer and can carry a battery or two. But these are both equally portable and pocketable if you must.

So which camera is "better" really comes down to what you want to do. If I was mainly a street shooter, the GR would still be with me. But I shoot a lot more subjects that the GR can't do at all. At the same time the Sony can do virtually everything the GR can. Yes, sometimes the GR will do them better, but the differences are smaller that some would like to believe.

In my view Sony has pushed the latest RX100 cameras well into the GR game, while the GR cannot play where the Sony can AT ALL. That's the big takeaway for most people.

If the GR had a viewfinder, better AF and perhaps a faster lens, it would have greater merit.

BOTH are excellent cameras and it's up to YOU to decide which will get you closest to the type of shooting you want to enjoy.

Rob

Damnn....this was realy a good and hononsly explanation, so many many thanks for your input!!!

After so many good advice in here,  i have now decided for Sony!. So now the battle is VA vs VI

PS: We should have our own audio and screen forum...lol

I would thank everybody for your help. Sony would be my pick

MrHollywood

vallhall wrote:

Now...let's say the next year goes by and you find that you've using the Sony under 30mm quite a bit. Maybe the Viewfinder ends up not being a big deal and you don't challenge the AF all that much.

As that point you might consider trading to the GRIII and give that a try.

That's the great thing about photography; we can try different cameras and learn where our style will fit in. I often suggest a zoom to start since many folks aren't sure where they'll end up.

Between the VA and VI, I find the following:

VI has 130mm more reach.

VA has faster optics.

VI has touchscreen and VA does not.

There's no substitute for longer glass just as there's no substitute for fast glass. But generally speaking, a 24-200mm 2.8 - 4.5 isn't exactly slow either. If you think you'll generally have reasonable lighting conditions I think the VI is the way to go. It's better for portraits and people and gets you shots wider glass can't.

Again...between the three it comes down to requirements and taste. ALL deliver high quality images in experienced hands.

Rob

-- hide signature --

"We need a bigger boat."

Ricoh GR Digital II Nikon D850 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +15 more

MrHollywood wrote:

vallhall wrote:

Now...let's say the next year goes by and you find that you've using the Sony under 30mm quite a bit. Maybe the Viewfinder ends up not being a big deal and you don't challenge the AF all that much.

As that point you might consider trading to the GRIII and give that a try.

That's the great thing about photography; we can try different cameras and learn where our style will fit in. I often suggest a zoom to start since many folks aren't sure where they'll end up.

Between the VA and VI, I find the following:

VI has 130mm more reach.

VA has faster optics.

VI has touchscreen and VA does not.

There's no substitute for longer glass just as there's no substitute for fast glass. But generally speaking, a 24-200mm 2.8 - 4.5 isn't exactly slow either. If you think you'll generally have reasonable lighting conditions I think the VI is the way to go. It's better for portraits and people and gets you shots wider glass can't.

Again...between the three it comes down to requirements and taste. ALL deliver high quality images in experienced hands.

Rob

Many thanks again

Well,we dont have much resonable lightning in my part of the world, but as i said my GX8 does fine on ISO3200 with its 2.8 lens, so maybe the VI is almost as good?

But the price difference between VA and VI is huge!. Around 1000 USD for the VA and 1500 for the VI

And i wish the VI/VA had the same AF as the new A6400

I dont do portrait, and i dont do selfie/vlogging and video in general....only stills

thelps
thelps Regular Member • Posts: 476

I would not pick a Sony RX100 of any model without also looking at the other 1" sensor cameras like the Panasonic LX10 and the Canon G7X II. There are of course differences in the hardware and even the software offerings. The LX10 a powerhouse with lots of additional functions which may or may not be of use.

All that aside I prefer the output from the LX10, the the GX7 II.

Either of these would be good companions to a GR. I'd get both.

thelps's gear list:thelps's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR
MrHollywood

thelps wrote:

I would not pick a Sony RX100 of any model without also looking at the other 1" sensor cameras like the Panasonic LX10 and the Canon G7X II. There are of course differences in the hardware and even the software offerings. The LX10 a powerhouse with lots of additional functions which may or may not be of use.

All that aside I prefer the output from the LX10, the the GX7 II.

Either of these would be good companions to a GR. I'd get both.

Like many shooters, I can't stress enough what a lack of real viewfinder means to shooting.

The LX10 has nice output, just like all the others, but it has no viewfinder and it's a far less sophisticated AF module. I tried one out and handed it back fast.

The G7X II is also lacking the viewfinder and is WAY behind the Sony in features, speed and capability.

The main reason to choose LX10 & G7X is the far more reasonable price.

Both the Sony RX100 VI and GRIII have insane pricing IMHO. Had I not gotten the Sony as a gift I doubt I would have bothered with it.

That's why my view on the Sony is key here. I did NOT spend MY money on it and I actually had bias against it before opening the box. It took me about 45 minutes to realize that it was better than my GR and every other pocket camera out there.

I'm hardly alone in that view. It's typically called the best pocket camera, or best P&S camera or best travel camera.....amid the complaints about the price!

The price of the GR III is every bit as whacky to me and I'm a guy who can buy what he wants when he wants.

Rob

-- hide signature --

"We need a bigger boat."

Update

Hello

I have had my little Sony RX100 VI some days, and have to say i am extremly impressed!

It is just as sharp as my Panasonic 12-35 2.8(one of the best MFT lenses), the AF is amazing in both low and daylight!. I also love the little EVF, as i dont need to use glasses

I have had many big cameraes like Nikon D300, D80, D5100, D7000 and now GX8 and Samsung NX500(same sensor as NX1), but the little Sony impress me much more than any other camera i have had! The GX8 with 12-35 would probarly go on sale soon.

So the new Sony is a exellent companion to my Huawei P30 Pro!

I dont  need any other (bigger cameras), because i dont print

That said i still want the GRiii, because of its sensor and great IQ, so maybe later

I mostly shoot scenery\landscape, and are lucky enough to live in a country with amazing scenery. I have never shoot any street photo

And thanks again for all your help!

MrHollywood
Re: Update

vallhall wrote:

Hello

I have had my little Sony RX100 VI some days, and have to say i am extremly impressed!

It is just as sharp as my Panasonic 12-35 2.8(one of the best MFT lenses), the AF is amazing in both low and daylight!. I also love the little EVF, as i dont need to use glasses

I have had many big cameraes like Nikon D300, D80, D5100, D7000 and now GX8 and Samsung NX500(same sensor as NX1), but the little Sony impress me much more than any other camera i have had! The GX8 with 12-35 would probarly go on sale soon.

I dont need any other (bigger cameras), because i dont print

That said i still want the GRiii, because of its sensor and great IQ, so maybe later

I mostly shoot scenery\landscape, and are lucky enough to live in a country with amazing scenery. I have never shoot any street photo

Enjoy!

The camera is the smallest part of the shooting equation. Get out there and shoot and let's see some of those landscapes.

Maybe Ricoh will upgrade the GRIII and put a finder in. It really needs it. I would have missed half of the shots I took yesterday without a finder.

Rob

-- hide signature --

"We need a bigger boat."

John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 5,085
Re: Update

MrHollywood wrote:

vallhall wrote:

Hello

I dont need any other (bigger cameras), because i dont print

Enjoy!

The camera is the smallest part of the shooting equation. Get out there and shoot and let's see some of those landscapes.

Maybe Ricoh will upgrade the GRIII and put a finder in. It really needs it. I would have missed half of the shots I took yesterday without a finder.

Rob

Are you guys mostly using it at 24mm? I want to like this camera, but it’s F4 by 40mm. That coupled with a 1” sensor best used under ISO 800, makes me think it’s not for me. It’s cool though and would be useful to me on the long range... but it would be a sunny day camera.

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads