Disqualified?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
stretchman Contributing Member • Posts: 772
Disqualified?

Why did this image get disqualified in the Sublime Lighting challenge?

Edward48
Edward48 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,464
Re: Disqualified?

stretchman wrote:

Why did this image get disqualified in the Sublime Lighting challenge?

Because the rules specify landscape orientation. The lesson being, 'Always read the rules'.

Mike

Edward48's gear list:Edward48's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100T Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GX850 +1 more
OP stretchman Contributing Member • Posts: 772

My bad! 

Edward48
Edward48 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,464

stretchman wrote:

My bad!

Well, we've all been there. I once managed to submit a B/W image to a colour only challenge. Hey Ho!

Mike

Edward48's gear list:Edward48's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100T Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GX850 +1 more
contadorfan Senior Member • Posts: 2,207

You are not alone! I just made the same mistake!

Anyway, I just dropped in to say your picture is fantastic.

-- hide signature --

"Never let good clouds go to waste." -- Margaret Bourke-White

contadorfan's gear list:contadorfan's gear list
Canon ELPH 115 IS Sony a99 II
OP stretchman Contributing Member • Posts: 772

contadorfan wrote:

You are not alone! I just made the same mistake!

Anyway, I just dropped in to say your picture is fantastic.

Thank you!

crosson
crosson Regular Member • Posts: 324

Without knowing the context of this specific challenge I must say, that is a particularly weird rule.

crosson's gear list:crosson's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +1 more
Barry Twycross Contributing Member • Posts: 898

crosson wrote:

Without knowing the context of this specific challenge I must say, that is a particularly weird rule.

All of his say much the same thing.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
crosson

Barry Twycross wrote:

crosson wrote:

I see where pocoloco was confused.

I just started a new series . Maybe I'll add the same challenge without such a rule.

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +1 more
Barry Twycross Contributing Member • Posts: 898

crosson wrote:

I just started a new series .

Which is looking quite interesting to me.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
tasad Contributing Member • Posts: 912

crosson wrote:

Barry Twycross wrote:

crosson wrote:

I see where pocoloco was confused.

I just started a new series . Maybe I'll add the same challenge without such a rule.

If you ask in your challenge :https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=13789 ... "Show off your technique and demonstrate strong middle of the day photography. Prove to us that we need not wake up early and go to bed late. (...) " - then an exif data should be mandatory... And , of course -  entries have to be checked ,   if they were taken at "middle of the day" ( those who woke up early or went to bed late  should be DQ-ed )....

By standing on the Shoulders of Giants Regular Member • Posts: 364

tasad wrote:

crosson wrote:

Barry Twycross wrote:

crosson wrote:

I see where pocoloco was confused.

If you ask in your challenge :https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=13789 ... "Show off your technique and demonstrate strong middle of the day photography. Prove to us that we need not wake up early and go to bed late. (...) " - then an exif data should be mandatory... And , of course - entries have to be checked , if they were taken at "middle of the day" ( those who woke up early or went to bed late should be DQ-ed )....

If you study the way the host composed the challenge, the word ‘demonstrate’ has put the onus of deliverance on the entrants. So no proof nor any additional imagined responsibility of diligence is needed from the host. In any case, no proof is ever needed in these challenges and there is no clause whatsoever that says the hosts (nor the voters) have to check anything. Wouldn’t it be funny if tasad starts accusing voters of irresponsible voting. I could only imagine if he comes up with a line saying, “you should not vote until you have looked through the exif”.

On a wider point of view when it comes to these challenges, there are people who are pure killjoy. I would advise the new hosts to just ignore them. I do have a suggestion (if I were to write this particular challenge) - I would just state “Show off your technique and enter photo which strongly APPEARS to be taken in the middle of day.” Therefore as long as the photo appears to look the part, no one can pick a bone with the hosts nor the entrant even if the Exif shows the entrant took the shot at 3AM in the morning. This phrasing also puts more power to the host to remove any lame and weak entries which do not look the part, despite being taken at 12 o’clock noon. But those are just my suggestions, so if you don’t like it, you can just ignore it. Good luck in hosting the challenges.

By standing on the Shoulders of Giants's gear list:By standing on the Shoulders of Giants's gear list
FinePix S1 Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-5
crosson

I would just state “Show off your technique and enter photo which strongly APPEARS to be taken in the middle of day.” Therefore as long as the photo appears to look the part, no one can pick a bone with the hosts nor the entrant even if the Exif shows the entrant took the shot at 3AM in the morning.

I do like this. I wanted to leave some room for harsh artificial light as well. So really it will come down to how the photo looks. I want things to appear obvious in harsh lighting. If it is obvious there is no need to look at the exif.

If you took a photo with harsh light photo, played with white balance and contrast, and build a fake sunset scene, I might then be bothered to check the exif.

You said it pretty well. For me I will keep this light weight. It should be enjoyable for everyone. Host included.

tasad Contributing Member • Posts: 912

By standing on the Shoulders of Giants wrote:

tasad wrote:

If you ask in your challenge :https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=13789 ... "Show off your technique and demonstrate strong middle of the day photography. Prove to us that we need not wake up early and go to bed late. (...) " - then an exif data should be mandatory... And , of course - entries have to be checked , if they were taken at "middle of the day" ( those who woke up early or went to bed late should be DQ-ed )....

If you study the way the host composed the challenge, the word ‘demonstrate’ has put the onus of deliverance on the entrants.

If I understand the first 3 sentences correctly : https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=13789 ... the challenge is about a "harsh light".  In photography , a "harsh light" means a midday sunlight or a not bounced , not diffused flashlight.

If you study the thousands pictures taken by the host : https://www.flickr.com/photos/cliffrossons/ ... you can conclude , that he exactly knows what the "harsh light " means and what his challenge should be about.

So no proof nor any additional imagined responsibility of diligence is needed from the host. In any case, no proof is ever needed in these challenges and there is no clause whatsoever that says the hosts (nor the voters) have to check anything.

As crosson has dq-ed just a few entries ( sunsets) - the challenge has turned in to a mish- mash farce with a few "harsh light" entries.

Another request in the challenge is to "show off a technique that sets your harsh light photography apart".  Usually this means : a lens shade , a fill-in flash , an UV/haze filter if taking pictures at high elevation  or a polarizing filter to reduce sun reflections from a water/glass scenes.  How many   of this kind  pictures can  be find in the challenge ?

Wouldn’t it be funny if tasad starts accusing voters of irresponsible voting. I could only imagine if he comes up with a line saying, “you should not vote until you have looked through the exif”.

I can check for them the exif...

On a wider point of view when it comes to these challenges, there are people who are pure killjoy.

This also applies to some hosts.

I would advise the new hosts to just ignore them.

Crosson is not a "new" host.

I do have a suggestion (if I were to write this particular challenge) - I would just state “Show off your technique and enter photo which strongly APPEARS to be taken in the middle of day.” Therefore as long as the photo appears to look the part, no one can pick a bone with the hosts nor the entrant even if the Exif shows the entrant took the shot at 3AM in the morning. This phrasing also puts more power to the host to remove any lame and weak entries which do not look the part, despite being taken at 12 o’clock noon. But those are just my suggestions, so if you don’t like it, you can just ignore it. Good luck in hosting the challenges.

crosson

As crosson has dq-ed just a few entries ( sunsets) - the challenge has turned in to a mish- mash farce with a few "harsh light" entries.

Another request in the challenge is to "show off a technique that sets your harsh light photography apart". Usually this means : a lens shade , a fill-in flash , an UV/haze filter if taking pictures at high elevation or a polarizing filter to reduce sun reflections from a water/glass scenes. How many of this kind pictures can be find in the challenge ?

Yes exactly! Well stated.

I am disappointed with some entries but have enjoyed a few too. On DPReview challenges you usually get a mixed bag. But I still think they are entertaining and are a great way to establish community here.

As a host my lesson here is some challenges will be easy to interprit and render healthier participation. Other challenges will be somewhat ambiguous and the entries will also be ambiguous.

There is a follow up challenge, by request, called "Poor Light" which I think may be slightly worse.

However I see a lot of repeated challenges that are either cliche or boring (IMHO). I am trying to add some weirdness in there.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads