Keith Cooper
OP Keith Cooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,476
Re: SR1 high res macro

James Stirling wrote:

Keith Cooper wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

James Stirling wrote:

Keith Cooper wrote:

A few more experiments with the SR1 and a new 100/2.8 macro lens and high res mode have convinced me that it's potentially superb...

The 'potentially' refers to the really small DOF you have to work with when using any macro lens wide open. This will limit many, by requiring stacking to get any significant DOF, whilst the lack of motion controller support and more importantly no flash firing when making super-res shots, will just up the difficulty a bit more

I'm not into the bugs/plants/fungi staples of the macro photography world, so you'll have to wait in that area (I'm sure using that 187MP will be taken as a challenge by some ) but here's a super res shot of an old 8255a PIO chip, with a full res crop.

The 16 bit .psd file of this image is ~1.12GB BTW

This was shot using mode 1

Mode 2 allows for a bit of movement, so is better for real world photos

That is some serious detail Keith , not sure I would want to see the more common and more gruesome macro bug shots at this kind of detail I hoped to see some more high res form the S1 as well I did post a thread but never got a lot of replies

It seems that this product (S1/S1R) might be becoming a game-changer product that is only going to be limited by the ideas on what it can be used for.

The -only- limitation (or annoyance really) I've come across in the couple of weeks I've had the camera and lenses is dust. I'm really thinking that having the sensor 'open' when changing lenses is not such a good idea. The sensor picked up (and retained) more tiny specks (visible at f/16) in a couple of weeks than my 5Ds has since 2015

I note that the EOS RP keeps the sensor visible, whilst the EOS R closes the shutter - based on experience of late I'd like the shutter closed when not in use.

Keith I found the same with my Sony bodies at first. To ameliorate this ,change lenses in a dust free environment , body facing down , and I give the sensor a quick shot with my rocket blower. This has reduced my sensor cleaning markedly, as a macro guy shooting with the lens stopped down you are in the worst position to see the dust bunnies

Nice idea, but as someone frequently working in factories and building sites, as well as studio work,  I'm afraid it's not going to happen

The S1R goes back tomorrow, so it's back to my old fashioned 5Ds with a shutter conveniently covering the shutter most of the time (I'd still keep the S1R if offered - so much else about it is great)

I hope to get a much more considered set of review notes written up in a few weeks although it will be quite selective -no video for example

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Keith Cooper's gear list:Keith Cooper's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Keith Cooper

ClosePhoto wrote:

Perhaps closing shutter upon lens change could be implemented in a firmware change. Usually power off with the switch is “soft” to allow time for final writes to the memory card, so closing shutter should be possible.

Does Panasonic offer firmware for download, or does it require a visit to a service center?

Yes firmware updates are available - my test camera shipped with V0.7 f/w, so I had to update all the lenses and then the camera to test things.

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Canon EOS 5DS Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
ClosePhoto Regular Member • Posts: 137

Keith Cooper wrote:

ClosePhoto wrote:

Perhaps closing shutter upon lens change could be implemented in a firmware change. Usually power off with the switch is “soft” to allow time for final writes to the memory card, so closing shutter should be possible.

Does Panasonic offer firmware for download, or does it require a visit to a service center?

Yes firmware updates are available - my test camera shipped with V0.7 f/w, so I had to update all the lenses and then the camera to test things.

Thanks. Great shots by the way. IC dies are the gold standard for illustrating macro prowess in my opinion.

Keith Cooper

ClosePhoto wrote:

Keith Cooper wrote:

ClosePhoto wrote:

Thanks. Great shots by the way. IC dies are the gold standard for illustrating macro prowess in my opinion.

Thanks - I got into macro work a few years ago after a semiconductor company asked me if I could do some packaging shots for them. I quite like doing it every so often.

I've a SoDIMM memory module that makes a great test subject for checking lens close-up performance, but chip detail (even if 1976 design rules) does make a challenging subject.

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Johs Boe New Member • Posts: 2

1. Which macro lens are you using? I am desperately trying to find a macro lens 100mm or more for my S1r pixelshift macro shots. I have tried the canon EF 100mm f2.8, but chromatic aberation is terrible. Is there a descent 100mm for the L mount?

2. I have a Hasselblad H mount macro lens, but have not been able to find an H mount to L mount adapter. Anybody who knows more about this?

Keith Cooper

Johs Boe wrote:

1. Which macro lens are you using? I am desperately trying to find a macro lens 100mm or more for my S1r pixelshift macro shots. I have tried the canon EF 100mm f2.8, but chromatic aberation is terrible. Is there a descent 100mm for the L mount?

2. I have a Hasselblad H mount macro lens, but have not been able to find an H mount to L mount adapter. Anybody who knows more about this?

Its the Laowa 100mm

I was testing it at the same time I had the S1R here to look at

There's a lot more at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/laowa-100mm-f2-8_2x-macro-review/

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

GeraldDXB Regular Member • Posts: 169

Johs Boe wrote:

If you're prepared to use a bellows to focus, I can heartily recommend the Linos Inspec.L 5.6/105 Float.

It's not cheap, but as far as I'm aware, nothing else on the market can compete in the 0.3x to 3x range.

Not the easiest of lenses to acquire, but your local Phase One dealer will be able to source it for you.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

iso rivolta Contributing Member • Posts: 641

Hi Keith,

So, if the 187 MP HR mode is diffraction limited at very open apertures, possibly at F4 or even F2.8, this would mean a couple of things:

i) some of the lenses cannot be used at their optimal aperture, so if you want resolution, more aberrations could be present if the aperture for the best resolution is more open than the aperture for least aberrations (e.g. chromatic);

ii) if the object is 3D and you want resolution plus deeper DOF, a lot of stacking is necessary to be combined with pixel shifting; this would require more total time and make the result more exposed to ambient vibration blur.

This would limit the method to very particular jobs.

BTW, are you allowed to say what was the 100mm lens you tested? It looks that it has extreme lateral chromatic aberrations. Thank you.

aionios Forum Member • Posts: 98

iso rivolta wrote:

BTW, are you allowed to say what was the 100mm lens you tested? It looks that it has extreme lateral chromatic aberrations. Thank you.

Just a couple posts above yours, he states "Its the Laowa 100mm".

I recently received my Canon TSE 50mm F2.8 Macro, along with the Canon 24mm TSE II, and have a Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO (which is what he tested) on the way. I plan to try out some Digital Camera 'film scanning' using these lenses, particularly the Laowa, and generally get into the world of (abstract) macro photography too.

aionios's gear list:aionios's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon TS-E 50mm F2.8L Macro Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
Keith Cooper

iso rivolta wrote:

Hi Keith,

So, if the 187 MP HR mode is diffraction limited at very open apertures, possibly at F4 or even F2.8, this would mean a couple of things:

i) some of the lenses cannot be used at their optimal aperture, so if you want resolution, more aberrations could be present if the aperture for the best resolution is more open than the aperture for least aberrations (e.g. chromatic);

True, but this is not always so clear cut in practice.

'Diffraction limited' is a phrase I always take with a pinch of salt until I've actually tested a lens with a particular subject. I know the physics and optics, but have always been an experimentalist not a theoretician

Increasing sensor resolution is a tide that floats all boats, so It is always a tradeoff between factors that impinge on the overall quality of the results.

ii) if the object is 3D and you want resolution plus deeper DOF, a lot of stacking is necessary to be combined with pixel shifting; this would require more total time and make the result more exposed to ambient vibration blur.

Sure, and the lack of flash firing in multishot limits it even more.

Multishot for myself worked most effectively with a TS-E lens for architecture/outdoors

I was impressed by the way the more forgiving mode limited blur from movement whilst still extracting more detail from the truly static bits.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/using-the-panasonic-s1r/

Yes, however I do technical/commercial stuff in a studio, so flowers/insects/fungi/outdoors don't get a look in for my macro work - YMMV!

It is indeed the Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO - at the time I'd been asked to test it. This post was just before it was formally announced IIRC

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/laowa-100mm-f2-8_2x-macro-review/

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

iso rivolta Contributing Member • Posts: 641

Keith Cooper wrote:

iso rivolta wrote:

I was impressed by the way the more forgiving mode limited blur from movement whilst still extracting more detail from the truly static bits.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/using-the-panasonic-s1r/

Yes, however I do technical/commercial stuff in a studio, so flowers/insects/fungi/outdoors don't get a look in for my macro work - YMMV!

It is indeed the Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO - at the time I'd been asked to test it. This post was just before it was formally announced IIRC

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/laowa-100mm-f2-8_2x-macro-review/

Thank you for these two reviews, these look very interesting to me.

I think flash isn't going to be supported soon with HR mode. For pixel shift, to avoid any shutter shock before and in between the frames, the shutter must be completely electronic which would limit flash sync speed to probably 1/15 s. I guess they don't want to offer this poor spec. Olympus with their smaller sensor syncs at 1/50 s and can have flash with HR.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads