Sony A7r3 set to Adobe RGB

Started May 5, 2019 | Discussions
MarcoE
MarcoE Contributing Member • Posts: 873
Sony A7r3 set to Adobe RGB

my default camera setup for colorspace is Adobe RGB.

i’m looking for a new monitor and really like the workflow on a iMac. The 27inch with integrated pc seams perfect but the 5k screen is not optimized for adobe rgb.

is calibration an option or should i look for a dedicated monitor like the BenQ SW271 or Eizo coloredge serie?

mu output will be online (websites) but also the possability to make large prints (A3, A2)

MarcoE's gear list:MarcoE's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
RGBCMYK
RGBCMYK Senior Member • Posts: 2,208
Re: Sony A7r3 set to Adobe RGB

Shooting RAW it doesn't matter what your camera is set to.  Monitors can display 99-100% of Adobe RGB, web is sRGB, printers can print colors outside of SRGB and even some printers can print some colors outside of Adobe RGB.  What is really important is calibration and profiled devices and (managing) understanding the color workflow to get the best out of your equipment and the best representation of your images in the other spaces.  Remember if you shoot jpg and sRGB once the color space is reduced down you sRGB can not go back to the larger space and retain your original colors in the larger space.

-- hide signature --

My street photography with over 1000 images https://www.instagram.com/chris_broughton/
www.christopherbroughton.com

RGBCMYK's gear list:RGBCMYK's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 4900 +1 more
MarcoE
OP MarcoE Contributing Member • Posts: 873

RGBCMYK wrote:

Shooting RAW it doesn't matter what your camera is set to. Monitors can display 99-100% of Adobe RGB, web is sRGB, printers can print colors outside of SRGB and even some printers can print some colors outside of Adobe RGB. What is really important is calibration and profiled devices and (managing) understanding the color workflow to get the best out of your equipment and the best representation of your images in the other spaces. Remember if you shoot jpg and sRGB once the color space is reduced down you sRGB can not go back to the larger space and retain your original colors in the larger space.

i shoot RAW only. So adobe rgb in camera set does not matter you say ?

MarcoE's gear list:MarcoE's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,310

MarcoE wrote:

When you have adjusted the raw files please use ProPhotoRGB and save as tiff. That will ensure you the highest quality files.

i’m looking for a new monitor and really like the workflow on a iMac. The 27inch with integrated pc seams perfect but the 5k screen is not optimized for adobe rgb.

is calibration an option or should i look for a dedicated monitor like the BenQ SW271 or Eizo coloredge serie?

You should always calibrate a monitor regardless of the monitor and you have to do it regularly. If you can get a monitor that can be hardware calibrated it will get you better results since the caibration is saved in the screens LUT and not in the graphics card. I have bad experiences with Eizo screens, but very good with NEC screens. I have a 12 year old NEC that still works perfect with great colors.

This NEC should be perfect, and around 1200,- € like the Benq. I would choose the NEC anyday over the other monitors.

https://www.nec-display-solutions.com/p/datasheet/en/datasheet/t/Desktop-Displays/Professional-Displays/rp/PA271Q.xhtml

mu output will be online (websites) but also the possability to make large prints (A3, A2)

if you shoot raw you don't have to set the color profile to Adobe RGB but do it anyway in case you need a Jpeg out of the camera. For websites you would have to convert your files to 8 bit sRGB and possibly jpeg which you can do directly from your raw converter or in photoshop.

If you read German I can recommend https://www.prad.de/test-kaufberatung/testberichte/test-monitore/

RGBCMYK

MarcoE wrote:

RGBCMYK wrote:

Shooting RAW it doesn't matter what your camera is set to. Monitors can display 99-100% of Adobe RGB, web is sRGB, printers can print colors outside of SRGB and even some printers can print some colors outside of Adobe RGB. What is really important is calibration and profiled devices and (managing) understanding the color workflow to get the best out of your equipment and the best representation of your images in the other spaces. Remember if you shoot jpg and sRGB once the color space is reduced down you sRGB can not go back to the larger space and retain your original colors in the larger space.

You are correct.  When you open a raw file it is open in the colorspace of the raw processor and then is converted into the chosen space upon export.  LR for example actually opens the file in a color space very similar to ProPhoto  (I believe it was called Melisa RGB when they were developing it) and then when you export or open in another program it is then converted into that color space.  LR doesn't look at the color space set in the camera if you show RAW.

-- hide signature --

My street photography with over 1000 images https://www.instagram.com/chris_broughton/

Brian_Smith
Brian_Smith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,312

MarcoE wrote:

You can easily calibrate your monitor with X-Rite i1Display Pro

The in-camera color space only refers to Jpeg. Adobe RGB is the best choice for that as the gamut is much larger than sRGB.

Shooting RAW will allow the largest color gamut for editing your images. Many people prefer to edit RAWs in Profoto RGB as it's largest colorspace that most printers can support.

Profoto RGB is a considerably larger color space than Adobe RGB - but if you shot Jpeg you may as well edit in Adobe RGB since you'll never add the gamut back to Jpegs shot in a smaller color space.

Brian_Smith's gear list:Brian_Smith's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +4 more
Brian_Smith
Brian_Smith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,312

MarcoE wrote:

RGBCMYK wrote:

Correct. When shooting RAW you get the full gamut. The sRGB/Adobe RGB camera setting only applies to Jpeg.

Brian_Smith's gear list:Brian_Smith's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +4 more
SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 4,500

Brian_Smith wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

The in-camera color space only refers to Jpeg. Adobe RGB is the best choice for that as the gamut is much larger than sRGB.

Shooting RAW will allow the largest color gamut for editing your images. Many people prefer to edit RAWs in Profoto RGB as it's largest colorspace that most printers can support.

Profoto RGB is a considerably larger color space than Adobe RGB - but if you shot Jpeg you may as well edit in Adobe RGB since you'll never add the gamut back to Jpegs shot in a smaller color space.

While it's true that you'll never add the gamut back to Jpegs shot in a smaller color space, color adjustments, corrections and shifts made in post will still benefit from a wider gamut.

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony a7 III +25 more
neverendinglight Regular Member • Posts: 490

Brian_Smith wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

Trying to wrap my head around this. Since the vast vast majority of monitors cannot support Adobe RGB, what is the point of capturing in Adobe RGB. I have my A7R3 set to Adobe RGB but I'm wondering why? My current monitor doesn't support it. I'm wondering if that has led me to some disappointing print jobs.

neverendinglight's gear list:neverendinglight's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +12 more
RGBCMYK

Trying to wrap my head around this. Since the vast vast majority of monitors cannot support Adobe RGB, what is the point of capturing in Adobe RGB. I have my A7R3 set to Adobe RGB but I'm wondering why? My current monitor doesn't support it. I'm wondering if that has led me to some disappointing print jobs.

One reason to capture a larger colorspace is the additional editing headroom given by the larger colorspace.  The potential for banding / posterization is reduced and this can become helpful with images that contain large smooth gradients.  Printers for sometime have been able to print some colors outside of sRGB (not a ton but some) Even if you end up converting to sRGB I can see benefits for just the editing.

-- hide signature --

neverendinglight Regular Member • Posts: 490

RGBCMYK wrote:

One reason to capture a larger colorspace is the additional editing headroom given by the larger colorspace. The potential for banding / posterization is reduced and this can become helpful with images that contain large smooth gradients. Printers for sometime have been able to print some colors outside of sRGB (not a ton but some) Even if you end up converting to sRGB I can see benefits for just the editing.

Thanks for the quick response!

But do the benefits outweigh the potential problems? Let me try and clarify. I totally understand that Adobe RGB captures more and in a vacuum has better overall color fidelity. But if I export my images from LR to Photoshop in Adobe RGB and then save the file as a jpeg right there, am I not setting myself up for potential disappointment when I go and view the images on my ipad or my friends computer? Or even when I print? Maybe the differences are negligible?

Main reason I ask is that getting a monitor/display that has full Adobe RGB support is expensive, and probably the reason most people don't have them. No smartphone that I'm aware of has full support of Adobe RGB. Just trying to figure out what the point is? Future proofing?

neverendinglight's gear list:neverendinglight's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +12 more
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 13,757

Brian_Smith wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

RGBCMYK wrote:

Correct. When shooting RAW you get the full gamut. The sRGB/Adobe RGB camera setting only applies to Jpeg.

And how the camera is set up for JPEG shooting also has an effect on the in-camera histogram and preview.

will you benefit from profiling your monitor? Absolutely. Invest (and that is word I almost never use in relation to photographic equipment) in an X-Riye i1 Display Pro colorimeter.

since you shoot raw only you might also want to look into creating a custom profile for your camera as well. This is not a profile you can use in the camera but can be applied during the raw processing stage. Is it necessary? That depends on how happy you are with how your raw processing program interprets the data in your raw file. Sony (and Nikon, Canon, etc.) engineers have their ideas about color and color relationships and so do raw processing programs. Creating a profile for your camera goes a long way if not all the way towards neutralizing those two biases.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on instagram @therealellisv

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +1 more
RGBCMYK

I am sure others might explain it better but your capture device has the capabilities to capture colors outside of Adobe RGB and sRGB and this is great.  Good color management will keep your original data and map it into your viewing space and allow for image manipulation (LR and PS) in their working space then if you want to export into a smaller space in the end like sRGB your color management will do this for you but you will still preserve your original file data with your original and not the exported files.  I doubt you really will notice anything especially if you are working on a monitor that only displays sRGB but you could notice a difference if you went to print.  Even some basic printers can print some colors outside of sRGB and retaining the original data might be of a benefit.  I say might but what I think most will agree is files that have a larger color space have the potential to be processed to a greater extent without the worry if banding / posterization vs. images in a smaller color space.  Not sure if the graph below will help or not but the white wireframe is the gamut of sRGB and the color is of a epson luster paper profile that I use with one of my epson printers.  You can see that there is some saturated yellow and saturated cyan / green colors that the printer will actually print that are outside of the sRGB color space.  If the original file had colors in the larger space they would be mapped into the more saturated colors with the chosen rendering intent.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads