Which camera takes better pictures of Nokia Lumia 1020 RAW (DNG) or Nokia 808 JPEG quality 100%?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
zevr New Member • Posts: 1
Which camera takes better pictures of Nokia Lumia 1020 RAW (DNG) or Nokia 808 JPEG quality 100%?

Hi.

I am not talking about the advantages and disadvantages of one or the other and other functions like OIS.

Only for the quality of photos in the best studio conditions Nokia 1020 RAW versus Nokia 808 JPEG.

Jostian
Jostian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,456
Re: Which camera takes better pictures of Nokia Lumia 1020 RAW (DNG) or Nokia 808 JPEG quality 100%?

zevr wrote:

Hi.

I am not talking about the advantages and disadvantages of one or the other and other functions like OIS.

Only for the quality of photos in the best studio conditions Nokia 1020 RAW versus Nokia 808 JPEG.

I think the 1020 RAW will have the edge over jpegs from the 808, I do prefer the jpegs from the 808 vs the 1020, but if comparing 1020 RAW to 808 jpegs, maybe the 1020 RAWs may be better.

See these few 808 SOOC jpegs, very natural looking.

-- hide signature --
 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +5 more
_vlad Senior Member • Posts: 2,377
Re: Which camera takes better pictures of Nokia Lumia 1020 RAW (DNG) or Nokia 808 JPEG quality 100%?

zevr wrote:

Hi.

RAW is nearly always better. 808 has good details rendering but DR (highlights vs shadows) is just not on par and you cannot do anything with that. However RAW processing needs some extra work - which you may like or not.

-- hide signature --

Vlad

_vlad's gear list:_vlad's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +5 more
Jostian

_vlad wrote:

zevr wrote:

Hi.

RAW is nearly always better. 808 has good details rendering

some of the best ever.

but DR (highlights vs shadows) is just not on par

yip not as good as todays best, but not that poor for its age.

and you cannot do anything with that. However RAW processing needs some extra work - which you may like or not.

Huawei RAWs are excellent! I've seen some amazing jpegs processed from RAW.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +5 more
vv50
vv50 Contributing Member • Posts: 592

_vlad wrote:

zevr wrote:

Hi.

RAW is nearly always better.

RAW doesn't help if the lens isn't sharp throughout the frame https://www.dpreview.com/news/8720896323/pureview-compared-nokia-808-lumia1020-studio-test-scene

808 has good details rendering but DR (highlights vs shadows) is just not on par and you cannot do anything with that.

in "the best studio conditions" the DR difference is thrown out of the equation

Van Nostrand Regular Member • Posts: 387

In optimal lighting conditions I think the 808 has the least amount of inherent noise at the lowest iso. And overall more natural looking color / images.  My pick is 808.

vv50

Van Nostrand wrote:

In optimal lighting conditions I think the 808 has the least amount of inherent noise at the lowest iso.

and that's also because the lowest ISO is different. 808 being ISO 50, the 1020, ISO 100

Jostian

Van Nostrand wrote:

In optimal lighting conditions I think the 808 has the least amount of inherent noise at the lowest iso. And overall more natural looking color / images.

yip absolutely.

My pick is 808.

-- hide signature --

Van Nostrand wrote:

In optimal lighting conditions I think the 808 has the least amount of inherent noise at the lowest iso. And overall more natural looking color / images. My pick is 808.

Now the question is what are those optimal lighting conditions. And what kind of object you can shoot when you are limited to 150-200 ISO.

-- hide signature --

Vlad

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +5 more
vv50

_vlad wrote:

Van Nostrand wrote:

In optimal lighting conditions I think the 808 has the least amount of inherent noise at the lowest iso. And overall more natural looking color / images. My pick is 808.

Now the question is what are those optimal lighting conditions. And what kind of object you can shoot when you are limited to 150-200 ISO.

a better question is why would a photographer want a camera in a phone that takes images only in studio and optimal lighting conditions

vv50 wrote:

_vlad wrote:

Van Nostrand wrote:

a better question is why would a photographer want a camera in a phone that takes images only in studio and optimal lighting conditions

Yes - there is something I do not understand - but OK, he is asking for advice

-- hide signature --

Vlad

Jostian

_vlad wrote:

vv50 wrote:

_vlad wrote:

Van Nostrand wrote:

no, he just said it takes great photos in good lighting, rather that than a phone that sux across the board, good light is where the 808 is strongest, pretty simple actually.

Yes - there is something I do not understand - but OK, he is asking for advice

I think normal daylight shots are what he's referring to the type of lighting that makes up 80 to 90% of what we take... (similar conditions to the many photos posted from the 808), no one would use it in a studio, seriously, whoever brought in the studio idea is missing the boat, its a phone.

-- hide signature --
vv50

_vlad wrote:

vv50 wrote:

Yes - there is something I do not understand

that something is the endowment effect, where obtaining the possession creates a bias where the owner overvalues the object. a manifestation of this behavior would be saying that it's "simply in good lighting" where their camera is the "strongest" when this adage is true for any camera, while ignoring that other cameras they do not own are even more versatile in many difficult conditions and not just in ideal lighting.

Lora47 New Member • Posts: 10

Nokia 1020 is better than Nokia 808...

ChinaM43User Regular Member • Posts: 227

zevr wrote:

Hi.

For studio conditions, the 808 wins with its superior lens and larger sensor. Additional pluses are faster processing of the image when taking photos and better audio recording if you do any video (it is actually excellent for recording at concerts).

For real world conditions when taking photos though, the 1020 is probably the winner with the RAW helping a lot in the dynamic range department and image stabilization coming in to play for still subjects at night.

As a smartphone though, the 808 is terrible by modern day standards (I own one), and not even close the the 1020 in that regard (my uncle used to own an I have played around with a bit).

ChinaM43User's gear list:ChinaM43User's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony RX100 II Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens
Jostian

_vlad wrote:

Van Nostrand wrote:

these at 400 iso (outside your 'optimal range' of 150 to 200) and the detail and natural look are very much still there.

-- hide signature --

Jostian wrote:

_vlad wrote:

Van Nostrand wrote:

these at 400 iso (outside your 'optimal range' of 150 to 200) and the detail and natural look are very much still there.

Problem with higher ISO is not in good light and not in downsampled images. In first scenario one may go deliberately with high iso and still get good images. Once the light is down and you MUST use high ISO then it will show it's ugly face. When I shoot my m43 gear in bright light  I Can get reasonable pics even at 25600 ISO. With dim light ISO 3200 it's probably max. No magic until some clever technique used will happen.

-- hide signature --

Vlad

Jostian

_vlad wrote:

Jostian wrote:

_vlad wrote:

Van Nostrand wrote:

Problem with higher ISO is not in good light

not great light at all actually, indoors and cloudy outside...

and not in downsampled images. In first scenario one may go deliberately with high iso and still get good images. Once the light is down and you MUST use high ISO then it will show it's ugly face. When I shoot my m43 gear in bright light I Can get reasonable pics even at 25600 ISO. With dim light ISO 3200 it's probably max. No magic until some clever technique used will happen.

-- hide signature --
Stevan G Contributing Member • Posts: 591

_vlad wrote:

zevr wrote:

Hi.

RAW is nearly always better. 808 has good details rendering but DR (highlights vs shadows) is just not on par and you cannot do anything with that. However RAW processing needs some extra work - which you may like or not.

you can underexpose (-0.3 for example) and pull the details in PP, it's not RAW but it does the job

also Nokia 1020 takes ages to save&process RAW files, then you have a computer processing etc. not really practical

RAW on phones and small sensors in general is nowhere near as  useful as on bigger cameras, Panasonic phonecamera with its 1" sensor springs to mind, that's where you can really see the difference and that's the only phone(well, camera with phone functions) which can give better pictures than 808 in most situations

Jostian

Stevan G wrote:

_vlad wrote:

zevr wrote:

Hi.

you can underexpose (-0.3 for example) and pull the details in PP, it's not RAW but it does the job

also Nokia 1020 takes ages to save&process RAW files, then you have a computer processing etc. not really practical

RAW on phones and small sensors in general is nowhere near as useful as on bigger cameras, Panasonic phonecamera with its 1" sensor springs to mind, that's where you can really see the difference and that's the only phone(well, camera with phone functions) which can give better pictures than 808 in most situations

mmm, no, we've had this discussion before, no need to dredge it up again, comparisons show the 808 edges the CM1 in IQ, even DPReview who reviewed both give the 808 the edge in IQ, go take a look. here's a screen grab of the 2 compared, that little extra yellow bit for the 808 at still image quality...

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads