Florida’s humidity

Started May 3, 2019 | Discussions
flykiller Regular Member • Posts: 228
Florida’s humidity

hi,

i own a A7riii and wanted to know if I have to fear anything when I sometimes take my camera out from my apartment (A/C on 71 F) outside to 90F (95% humidity)?

Marky12
Marky12 Contributing Member • Posts: 765
Re: Florida’s humidity

flykiller wrote:

hi,

i own a A7riii and wanted to know if I have to fear anything when I sometimes take my camera out from my apartment (A/C on 71 F) outside to 90F (95% humidity)?

More worried about the lens than the camera body. Mold can grow and condensation can be an issue.

Marky12's gear list:Marky12's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7 III Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE +2 more
DI_Jeff Regular Member • Posts: 210

As a frequent Florida traveler, no short term issues. If you can just leave your camera and lens in a bag under the camera warms up, it will minimize short-term moisture in the lens.

Otherwise you just have to wait under the condensation evaporates; can take a few minutes if you just keep you bag open. The larger the glass the longer it will take.

When you get back inside just keep in a cool dry location. You can use some of those gel packs if you want.

DI_Jeff's gear list:DI_Jeff's gear list
Sony RX100 IV NEX-5T Sony a7 III Sony a7R IVA Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +7 more
Bobby V
Bobby V Senior Member • Posts: 1,560

I shoot often in humid places, and these are some of the things I do:

• Avoid pulling a camera or lens directly out of a A/C environment. Open the camera bag and allow it to acclimate slowly to avoid rapid temperature changes which cause condensation
  • Leave the hotshot cover on
  • Don't let a camera sit in direct rain for long periods of time.
  • Don't wrap a camera or lens with a plastic bag. It will inhibit airflow and trap moisture
  • minimize lens changes
  • Throw cameras and lenses in a dry bag after a humid day with a silica gel packet

By following these steps, I've never had any issues.

-- hide signature --
justkeepon Junior Member • Posts: 35

Yes, I live in Florida and you can have a problem (many years ago, before I knew, 3 lenses developed mold), Just pay attention to the advice given on the forum. Pack the camera bag, take it out of A/C into the car, possibly into the trunk, or back of vehicle, and let the equipment acclimate while in the camera bag. Also I use the drying packets in bags with each piece of equipment (camera, lenses) after exposure to rain or when moisture is a factor. If there is condensation on your lens, definitely use the drying packets when you get home.

Best of luck to you,

justkeepon's gear list:justkeepon's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE +2 more
texdpl Contributing Member • Posts: 922

Sony warns about this.  Be careful.

-- hide signature --

Don L.

texdpl's gear list:texdpl's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
OP flykiller Regular Member • Posts: 228

thanks everyone

Marky12

Something to think about. $80 investment for piece of mind

Sony RX100 Sony a7 III Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE +2 more
CDJM Forum Member • Posts: 74

You will eventually get problems if going in and out of A/C and high temp/high humidity and forcing lots of humidity condensation. I've lived in Miami, Hong Kong, and various places in SE Asia - so very familiar with this issue. Even with care to try and let things equalize, I've had an A7RII die of condensation water damage and developed mold on two lenses. In all three cases, Sony repair services (I'm based in Hong Kong) fixed the issues for a reasonable expense.

Best advice is: Keep your camera gear in a space which is closer to outside ambient. The temperature difference is your enemy. At home this can be easy - I just keep my gear in a room with a dehumidifier (when needed), and open window (when weather allows), and a ceiling fan. When traveling, sometimes a little harder as less control or options. Regardless, if you go outside and your lens is always fogging strongly, your at-risk.

CDJM's gear list:CDJM's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a9 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +17 more
Marky12

CDJM wrote:

You will eventually get problems if going in and out of A/C and high temp/high humidity and forcing lots of humidity condensation. I've lived in Miami, Hong Kong, and various places in SE Asia - so very familiar with this issue. Even with care to try and let things equalize, I've had an A7RII die of condensation water damage and developed mold on two lenses. In all three cases, Sony repair services (I'm based in Hong Kong) fixed the issues for a reasonable expense.

Best advice is: Keep your camera gear in a space which is closer to outside ambient. The temperature difference is your enemy. At home this can be easy - I just keep my gear in a room with a dehumidifier (when needed), and open window (when weather allows), and a ceiling fan. When traveling, sometimes a little harder as less control or options. Regardless, if you go outside and your lens is always fogging strongly, your at-risk.

You should get the electronic dry cabinet instead of a dehumidifier. Much more efficient and your gear will be dry all the time when not in use.

KE_DP
KE_DP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,055

Same as others said - put the gear in the car ahead of time to let it adjust.  The quick snap from ice cold to hot & humid will cause condensation which in turn wreaks havoc.

FL is a miserable place to be for 7+ months a year.  The other times it can be stupid windy, or cold - or all kinds of other things with an occasional nice day, between being hit by lightning and hurricanes.    Yet some people call it paradise.     YMMV

KE_DP's gear list:KE_DP's gear list
Sony a7R IV
f8f8f8 Regular Member • Posts: 197

The science and solution is very simple. If an object (camera, lens, flash for example) is below the dew point temperature of the air,  condensation will occur and form on it. This often occurs when the equipment goes from an air conditioned environment to a warmer humid one (inside to outside). I simply raise the equipment temperature to above the outside dew point by warming it with a portable hand held hair dryer. Just carefully warm up the equipment to the outside temperature or even a bit above. Now when you take the equipment outside no condensation will form on it. If you are not going to use it for a while such as driving to a photo location, simply transport it in an insulated "cooler" which will help maintain it at the warmer temperature. I keep this in my car trunk (non-air conditioned). This completely solves the condensation problem that occurs when going from a colder air conditioned environment to a warmer humid outside temperature.

Oh, I've also been known to take the hair dryer with me when entering a butterfly enclosure (similar to a greenhouse) and immediately going to a nearby electrical outlet, plugging in my hairdryer, opening my camera bag/backpack and warming up my equipment to prevent condensation on it.

For the "opposite" situation...shooting in winter outside in a cold environment and coming inside to a much warmer one simply put your equipment (can even stay in your camera bag) into a plastic bag and seal it prior to going inside. Then take it inside and leave it alone until it reaches the inside temperature. At that point condensation cannot occur (above the inside dew point temperature).

Finally, if your inside conditions are high humidity which mold enjoys simply store your equipment in a closed low humidity case using indicating silica gel packs. They absorb moisture and change color to let you know when they have to be regenerated (moisture removal) through heating.

f8f8f8

f8f8f8's gear list:f8f8f8's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +7 more
f8f8f8 Regular Member • Posts: 197

One correction. I should have stated "at or below" the dew point vs. "below" the dew point.

f8f8f8's gear list:f8f8f8's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +7 more
Dennis from Florida
Dennis from Florida Regular Member • Posts: 429

flykiller wrote:

hi,

I live in Florida and when I read this thread - I bought a bunch of silica gel packs but later forgot the advice offered here as I never experienced a problem

Until yesterday

I was on "photographing the grandchildren duty" before the fireworks  -- when the lens fogged up instantaneously.

No time last night to wait for the camera to warm up so will have to try again today.

Dennis from Florida's gear list:Dennis from Florida's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +4 more
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 34,884

Yep - it's a common thing in Florida - my cameras and lenses have regularly gotten fogged from condensation when transferring between AC interiors and massively humid and hot exteriors.

All of the advice offered is good, common practice - though you still are likely to run into some condensation issues at some times.  I use gel packs in storage, I try to put camera gear in a car trunk or in a window to start acclimatizing before I need to shoot, and so on.

But sometimes, you'll still get fogged lenses.  The problems don't necessarily happen because the lenses or cameras condensate or fog - the problems can occur when you turn them on and try to shoot with them in that condition.  If you find the camera/lens fogged inside, don't start shooting or turn it on - let the sun and heat dry it first - point the lens into the sun with the cover off, let the camera sit for a bit outside...once it all burns off, THEN you can turn it on and begin shooting.  Follow that simple step, and you shouldn't have any issues.  I've shot with a dozen+ cameras here in Florida, and throughout the Caribbean, in those conditions and encountered fogged up lenses and condensation dozens of times despite all the precautions and steps taken - still haven't ever had a camera or lens failure or issue with mold, etc by just always letting the condensation and fog burn off and dry up before trying to shoot with it.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +21 more
nebulla Senior Member • Posts: 1,527

KE_DP wrote:

Same as others said - put the gear in the car ahead of time to let it adjust. The quick snap from ice cold to hot & humid will cause condensation which in turn wreaks havoc.

FL is a miserable place to be for 7+ months a year. The other times it can be stupid windy, or cold - or all kinds of other things with an occasional nice day, between being hit by lightning and hurricanes. Yet some people call it paradise. YMMV

I have been going to Florida for over 30 years , usually in the months of  January and Feb and I agree with you about the changing weather.  One year can be  just over 50 degrees and the next year 80 degrees. I don't usually have any problems with my camera or lenses, but I do what others say. I put the camera in the car a few hours before I am ready to go with the windows slightly down and no air.

nebulla's gear list:nebulla's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads