I am think of doing something crazy ... going all "red badge zooms"

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
DarnGoodPhotos Veteran Member • Posts: 8,999
Re: I am think of doing something crazy ... going all "red badge zooms"

The Samyung 12 f2 is highly regarded and when you get that wide auto focus isn’t all that necessary.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 14,427

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

The Samyung 12 f2 is highly regarded and when you get that wide auto focus isn’t all that necessary.

Yup, most certainly.  And you have the side benefit of having arguably the best astro lens available if that happens to also be of interest.  I own the Zeiss 12, which does have AF and is relatively similar in quality, but a whole lot more expensive.  The Samyang/Rokinon wasn’t around when I moved to Fuji or else it would be an integral part of my kit.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
DarnGoodPhotos Veteran Member • Posts: 8,999

Jerry-astro wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

Yup, most certainly. And you have the side benefit of having arguably the best astro lens available if that happens to also be of interest. I own the Zeiss 12, which does have AF and is relatively similar in quality, but a whole lot more expensive. The Samyang/Rokinon wasn’t around when I moved to Fuji or else it would be an integral part of my kit.

And you can probably find a used one for less than renting a different lens.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
igelfeld Senior Member • Posts: 1,337

TRIODEROB wrote:

here is the quagmire

the 100-400 is a must have for birds in flight - so that's an easy one

I tested the 50-140 and its amazing so that's an easy one too

the 16-55 I am not 100 percent sure would be a good "walk around" so that one I could use input from folks who own it

the wide zoom 8-16 is the one I am least sure about as I might be better off just keeping the 14 prime for cost and weight

Of this list, I would think that 16-55 for someone considering using red badge zooms should almost be a default choice since it is the most widely used range. Everything else has more room for debate.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Igelfeld

igelfeld's gear list:igelfeld's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T3 +11 more
Claes Regular Member • Posts: 297

I am not very zoom happy myself, but I can certainly see merit in the approach anyhow.

Just one thing, the 50-140 is very good in many ways, but its bokeh is its weak side, to my eyes. I do not know how it looks to your eyes and what importance it has to you.

Happy shooting.

OP TRIODEROB Veteran Member • Posts: 3,429

igelfeld wrote:

TRIODEROB wrote:

here is the quagmire

the 16-55 I am not 100 percent sure would be a good "walk around" so that one I could use input from folks who own it

the wide zoom 8-16 is the one I am least sure about as I might be better off just keeping the 14 prime for cost and weight

Of this list, I would think that 16-55 for someone considering using red badge zooms should almost be a default choice since it is the most widely used range. Everything else has more room for debate.

I gave it a try but found the weight to not be worth it.

not as a walk around lens - and not as a travel lens either

I have decided a few small primes is the way to go

GaryAyala
GaryAyala Regular Member • Posts: 224

Hey TRIODEROB, I'm in SoCal.  If you're nearby you can tryout the:

10-24;

16-55;

50-140; and

the 100-400.

Just PM me.

-- hide signature --

Unsharp at any speed.
All Critiques Welcomed.
My Snaps: https://www.garyayala.com/

Geekapoo
Geekapoo Senior Member • Posts: 2,105

TRIODEROB wrote:

igelfeld wrote:

TRIODEROB wrote:

here is the quagmire

I gave it a try but found the weight to not be worth it.

not as a walk around lens - and not as a travel lens either

I have decided a few small primes is the way to go

Was an easy decision for me to bypass the 16-55 but can easily see why many folks love it. Like you, I decided primes were the way to go (plus keeping the 18-55!) but did not keep my prime collection as small as possible..bought the 16mm f1.4, the 35mm f1.4 and the 50mm f2. Some great choices to be had. I love zoom lenses and also really enjoy the faster primes!

Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X-T20 +10 more
Les Lammers
Les Lammers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,767

TRIODEROB wrote:

here is the quagmire

Keep the 14.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads