I am think of doing something crazy ... going all "red badge zooms"

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 26,922
Re: I am think of doing something crazy ... going all "red badge zooms"

Here are a few reasons why NOT to.

1- Weight

2- $$$$$ difference

Question: Do you really need these, or simply want these?

I find that using CC 2019 and resampling images, I can get older 12 mb files to print great 16 x 24 inches (and sell). If you crop a lot, maybe. Why? Need . . . or want? What's in YOUR wallet?

Hey, go take some pictures! Your lenses are fine.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +29 more
a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,538

You may be right about the 8-16 and the 14mm.  8mm is jolly wide, I find 16mm wide enough and hard to use for landscapes.  It would save a lot of weight and cash too.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 1,247

TRIODEROB wrote:

I am thinking of selling all of my primes that I picked up used

1) the 14

2) 23 f2

3) 35 magic

4) keeping the red badge 100-400

and picking up used the remaining "red badge' lens

the :

1) 8-16

2) 16-55

3) 50-140

here is my reasoning

the red badge zooms are near prime quality - they use nano coatings / super ed elements etc...

the 8-16 for seascapes and landscapes near my place in California ,

the 16-55 as a walkaround,

the 50-140 for the zoo, birds in flight near beach , closer sports,

the 100-400 for sports and birds in flight

I don't want to make any moves without thinking it over as this would be a long term purchase - not planning to flip to another system

any comments ?

I couldn't be happier with the 16-55 and especially the 50-140, I tried out the 8-16 yesterday and liked it much better than expected, it will be coming home soon.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +1 more
ttran88
ttran88 Senior Member • Posts: 2,823
Do it!

Honestly just do it! You'll get more incentive to go out and shoot more and new thread ideas for us to read.

-- hide signature --

Too legit to quit.

ttran88's gear list:ttran88's gear list
Sony a7 Nikon Df Sony a6300 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +11 more
Clive99 Contributing Member • Posts: 725

TRIODEROB wrote:

1) the 14

2) 23 f2

3) 35 magic

the :

1) 8-16

2) 16-55

3) 50-140

here is my reasoning

the red badge zooms are near prime quality - they use nano coatings / super ed elements etc...

I don't want to make any moves without thinking it over as this would be a long term purchase - not planning to flip to another system

any comments ?

To each their own. I love the balance of small size and IQ of the primes. Don't own any red badge zooms. I just don't like the idea of an 800g lens hanging off my nice small mirrorless camera.

Sounds ideal, though, if you don't mind the weight. You do need far fewer lenses.

Clive

Clive

Clive99's gear list:Clive99's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 +17 more
GeffBourke
GeffBourke Forum Member • Posts: 98

That's the zoom setup I have fro my X-H1's. Love them, so sharp and very versatile.

Geff

primrose Forum Member • Posts: 74

Jerry, what do you think of the 16-55mm paired with the x-t3 for a  travel kit.  I noticed you mentioned the xh1.  Does that make a big difference?

Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 14,469

primrose wrote:

Jerry, what do you think of the 16-55mm paired with the x-t3 for a travel kit. I noticed you mentioned the xh1. Does that make a big difference?

Well, I'd have to ask as to what sort of difference you're referring to. I don't own an X-T3 myself (X-H1 as my primary shooter and X-T2 as a backup), so no personal experience with the X-T3 to fall back on here. However, the 16-55 is my go to lens for travel with the 10-24 handling situations where I need a UWA lens. The BIG difference that the X-H1 brings to the table, and something that was really important to me given the amount of low(er) light shooting I do when traveling, is IBIS. It is the key enabler for me that allowed me to replace my 18-55 (also a pretty decent lens) with the 16-55, which IMHO is a bit more in the awesome category as a travel lens. The problem I have with the 16-55 is that it either requires a tripod or other form of support when shooting in very low light (think cathedrals) with a non IBIS body, where I've successfully been able to shoot handheld at otherwise ridiculously low shutter speeds thanks to IBIS on the X-H1 (1/4 or even 1/2s with a decently high "keeper" rate).

So... bottom line, how much the lack of stabilization in the X-T3 matters to you is strictly a function of the sort of subject matter you shoot and how much light is typically available. This will be the case with any non stabilized lens, such as the 16-55. If you want to use that lens often in low light situations, I think you might find IBIS to really be a game changer and perhaps the X-H1 a better choice. If not, then the X-T3 might be preferable. There's also the matter of handling as the X-H1 is a bit larger body, but since I tend towards using larger lenses like the 16-55 and 100-400, as I've stated in many threads, I find the size difference and better grip to be a big advantage, hence one major reason why my X-T2 has been relegated to backup status.

So, think about your own priorities and that should help you arrive at what will work best for your own needs. Best of luck in your decision. I doubt you'll go wrong either way and both bodies will function well as travel cameras IMHO.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
SJS1426 Regular Member • Posts: 111

Interesting thread. I’d been considering same thing, but can’t think of which prime I’d get rid of!

16mm 1.4 (has such a unique look, wide angle and short DOF)

23mm 1.4

35mm 1.4

56mm 1.2

80mm 2.8 Macro

each have unique look ability that I’m not sure can be achieved by a zoom

i already have the 50-140mm and love it, but if heading out I often leave in behind in favour of the 80mm

the thought of lens that could cover 4 primes is appealing as 1) it avoids the dilemma of which of the above to leave behind as carrying all is not practical 2) Changing lens out and about drives me nuts.

Fuji should research a prime quality  8-400mm f/1.0 😀

PS I think renting is great idea

thedanj
thedanj Regular Member • Posts: 368

I suppose it depends on what you shoot. That setup is great for landscapes and general photography. Not so much for portraits or street, I would say.

-- hide signature --

IG: @westoverfoto

thedanj's gear list:thedanj's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 12,120

Doesnt matter "how good it is" if you don't enjoy using it.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
Len-O Contributing Member • Posts: 918

TRIODEROB wrote:

here is the quagmire

the 100-400 is a must have for birds in flight - so that's an easy one

Yup! For birds and other stuff, and I have had one for about a year now.

I tested the 50-140 and its amazing so that's an easy one too

I have one on my wishlist and I plan to have one before the end of the year.

the 16-55 I am not 100 percent sure would be a good "walk around" so that one I could use input from folks who own it

The 16-55mm is my current go-to workhorse lens.

Here is a walk around snapshot at Pismo Beach.

the wide zoom 8-16 is the one I am least sure about as I might be better off just keeping the 14 prime for cost and weight

Keep the 14mm. The weight is inconsequential, and it takes up next to zero space in a bag, or pocket.

Len-O's gear list:Len-O's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +7 more
Meetmer
Meetmer Contributing Member • Posts: 702

AaronX wrote:

I have bought a dozen Fuji lenses, but none of the "heavier" ones: the "red badge zooms," 16/1.4, 90/2, 80/2.8, 100-400... To me, the main reason I use Fuji is the light weight and small size. If I were to go with the "red badge zooms," the FF systems become very tempting.

For the record, the 80 and the 100-400 are a lot heavier than the 16/1.4 and he 90/2, both of which I just bought at the time of the last sale.  They are both amazing, "wow" lenses.   The 16 weighs 375 gm and the 90 weighs 540 gm.  For reference, the 56 1.2 , which many consider a must have lens, weighs 405 grams and the 55-200 zoom, which I also consider a must have lens if you don't have the 50-140, weighs 580 gm.   so both the 16 1.4 and the 90  are certainly both doable.  And AWESOME.

Meetmer's gear list:Meetmer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +3 more
Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 8,321

Hi,

I can't see anything crazy here except the 8-16 but that depends on how important ultra-wide is for you.

The 16-55 is excellent and a perfect all-round zoom. I just love the lens. I consider the 50-140 myself and I already have the 100-400 for wildlife and birds.

I kept my primes though and for city trips or any vacation where I plan to walk a lot a lot I still take: 14/2.8, 23/2 and 35/1.4 instead.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
abc123brian Regular Member • Posts: 113

So much of this depends on what you shoot and what you’re looking to accomplish. Fujifilm has some really great prime lenses, my favorite being the 16mm F/1.4. I really like shooting with the primes on Fuji. I ended up purchasing the 16-55mm during the last sale, and it is a really nice lens. I like it and have used it a few times as a walk around lens. It is big and heavy. I’m still trying to decide if buying it was a mistake for me personally. I shoot Nikon for wildlife and recently bought a Z6 with the 24-70mm kit lens which is also fantastic. The 24-70mm is lighter and smaller than the 16-55mm and the Z6 is about the same size as my X-H1. Since they are exactly equivalent, they are redundant. If it weren’t for that, I’d be more than happy with it. I would certainly miss the primes if I were to initiate your plan with my Fuji kit.

abc123brian's gear list:abc123brian's gear list
Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z6 +5 more
marclw
marclw Senior Member • Posts: 1,334

GeffBourke wrote:

That's the zoom setup I have fro my X-H1's. Love them, so sharp and very versatile.

Geff

Me, too! I have them, other than the 8-16. If I need anything faster, I pop on one of my M primes with my adapter. Perfect! BTW, the X-H1 is wonderful....

Marc

marclw's gear list:marclw's gear list
Leica CL Fujifilm X-H1 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Voigtlander 75mm F1.8 Heliar Classic +8 more
sai1 Regular Member • Posts: 240

You're not really missing optical quality, but 1-2 stops of light when buying fuji zooms vs. primes. If you can live with that or not is up to you.

sai1's gear list:sai1's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +2 more
Justin9999 Contributing Member • Posts: 722
Add the 27mm pancake.

Add the 27mm pancake and you’ll be ready for anything.

It is good to have something pocketable.

-- hide signature --

Assume you know a lot more than me and teach me at will.

Justin9999's gear list:Justin9999's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
GeralH Regular Member • Posts: 142

TRIODEROB wrote:

1) the 14

2) 23 f2

3) 35 magic

the :

1) 8-16

2) 16-55

3) 50-140

here is my reasoning

any comments ?

I have the 16-55 and its fantastic. Your plan feels solid, but i would recommend 2 things:

1. Keep either the 23 f2 or the 35 f1.4 ( i guess that is the "magic" one). In this case i would suggest keeping the 35 for a walkaround lens. While the 16-55 is great, it is allways nice to have a smaller, faster lens. You can use the 35 1.4 for almost anything, when you dont feel like having to take the 16-55. I actually have the 23 f2, and use it for that purpose, but thats because i preffer the FL, the 35 f1.4 seems better in your case.

2. Get the 27 f2.8. Even if you dont gain speed or quality over the 16-55, to have the most compact lens on fuji is just perfect. Its too convinient not to have it. It will also work as a walkaround lens, to take the camera when you might not for the weight or the size. I also have this and it is the most used lens, because i take it everywhere, which i might not with the 16-55.

GeralH's gear list:GeralH's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Meetmer
Meetmer Contributing Member • Posts: 702

What do u think of the 23/ 1.4 which is now $250 off = $650?

Meetmer's gear list:Meetmer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads