3) 35 magic

4)  keeping the red badge 100-400

and picking up used the remaining "red badge' lens

the :

1) 8-16

2) 16-55

3) 50-140

here is my reasoning

the red badge zooms are near prime quality - they use nano coatings / super ed elements etc...

the 8-16 for seascapes and landscapes near my place in California ,

the 16-55 as a walkaround,

the 50-140 for the zoo, birds in flight near beach , closer sports,

the 100-400 for sports and birds in flight

I don't want to make any moves without thinking it over as this would be a long term purchase - not planning to flip to another system

any comments ?

JimmyHBG
JimmyHBG Contributing Member • Posts: 510
Re: I am think of doing something crazy ... going all "red badge zooms"

Not a bad idea if you can handle the weight/cost, its all premium lenses which will serve you just as well as the primes.

Id say, do it!

-- hide signature --

To see more of my photos, please visit www.jimmymoller.com

JimmyHBG's gear list:JimmyHBG's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
OP TRIODEROB Veteran Member • Posts: 3,594

here is the quagmire

the 100-400 is a must have for birds in flight - so that's an easy one

I tested the 50-140 and its amazing so that's an easy one too

the 16-55 I am not 100 percent sure would be a good "walk around"  so that one I could use input from folks who own it

the wide zoom 8-16 is the one I am least sure about as I might be better off just keeping the 14 prime for cost and weight

Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 14,777

TRIODEROB wrote:

I am thinking of selling all of my primes that I picked up used

1) the 14

2) 23 f2

3) 35 magic

40 keeping the red badge 100-400

the :

1) 8-16

2) 16-55

3) 50-140

here is my reasoning

the red badge zooms are near prime quality - they use nano coatings / super ed elements etc...

I don't want to make any moves without thinking it over as this would be a long term purchase - not planning to flip to another system

any comments ?

Sure.  If I could afford it, I’d do exactly the same thing.  A lot of this comes down to personal preference and shooting style.  I’ve been a “zoom guy” for the majority of the time I’ve been shooting, and really didn’t get heavily into photography until the digital era.  By far, most of what I shoot is with good quality zooms and utilize certain primes (Zeiss 12 for example) more for specialized use (such as astrophotography).  As such, the lineup you’ve described would be superb for anyone who also prefers zooms and appreciates the versatility they offer.  In my case, I tried out the 8-16 and found it a bit too heavy/bulky/expensive and instead opted for the 10-24, which nicely meets my needs.  However, I’ve read mostly positive reviews of the 8-16 and if you can manage it, I have little doubt it would be a killer addition to anyone’s kit.

The 16-55 is my “walkaround” and travel lens and functions wonderfully in that role.  The additional 2mm on the wide end (vs. the “kit” 18-55) coupled with the aperture advantage at longer FLs makes it a real winner in my book.  I probably don’t need to say much about the 100-400 since you’ll generally see the majority of what I post here coming from that lens and it still spends more time on my X-H1 than any other lens, by far.  I don’t own the 50-140, mostly because it doesn’t happen to be a FL range that I seem to need all that often, but the lens has a sterling reputation here and elsewhere.  One bit of advice: definitely add the 1.4 TC to your list.  It’s an almost “must have” accessory for the 100-400 when you’re shooting long.

If your preference is for zooms, you’ll have a difficult time finding a higher quality lineup in anyone’s product line, IMHO.  If you can afford it (and don’t mid toting around a bit of weight), I can’t really see how you’ll go wrong.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
bstaley71 Junior Member • Posts: 25

Why not pair the 8-16 and 100-400 with the upcoming 16-80?  Three lenses would cover most anything you'd want to shoot.

Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 38,068

TRIODEROB wrote:

1) the 14

2) 23 f2

3) 35 magic

4) keeping the red badge 100-400

the :

1) 8-16

2) 16-55

3) 50-140

here is my reasoning

any comments ?

It's your back, and bag, to bear - why not?   Those are lenses to covet.   Though, I know I'd miss at times the more casual field practice that comes with using a prime only, not sure about you in that regard.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
http://www.bobtullis.com

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-H1 Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 +1 more
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 14,777

TRIODEROB wrote:

the 16-55 I am not 100 percent sure would be a good "walk around" so that one I could use input from folks who own it

the wide zoom 8-16 is the one I am least sure about as I might be better off just keeping the 14 prime for cost and weight

The 16-55 is an awesome lens and I personally have had zero issues with toting all over parts of Europe paired with the X-H1 for a variety of different types of photography, including landscapes, interiors, etc.  I don’t find the weight to be an issue (and I keep the battery grip attached to the camera), but that’s a very personal thing and if it’s a concern, you might want to check it out first.  As I’ve stated before, I think it’s nearly an ideal travel lens and probably gets used 90+% of the time when I’m on holiday and out taking pictures.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
AaronX Senior Member • Posts: 1,309

I have bought a dozen Fuji lenses, but none of the "heavier" ones: the "red badge zooms," 16/1.4, 90/2, 80/2.8, 100-400... To me, the main reason I use Fuji is the light weight and small size. If I were to go with the "red badge zooms," the FF systems become very tempting.

giarc
giarc Contributing Member • Posts: 717

TRIODEROB wrote:

the 16-55 I am not 100 percent sure would be a good "walk around" so that one I could use input from folks who own it

A fantastic lens, it is indeed the "bag of primes" folks talk about. I think it depends on the body if it makes a good every day carry. I found, as good as it is, I wasn't taking it with me often enough, so sold it. I might live to regret that decision, as it's really not that big, and if carrying a few 1.4 primes, its actually less bulk and equal to the task at or above 2.8. But gear that sits on the self is pointless, IMO, no matter how great it does perform when used.

FYI, I was using the XH-1, the 16-55 and the 90, and it was a great pairing, just tipped over the edge bulk wise for me.

giarc
giarc Contributing Member • Posts: 717

AaronX wrote:

I have bought a dozen Fuji lenses, but none of the "heavier" ones: the "red badge zooms," 16/1.4, 90/2, 80/2.8, 100-400... To me, the main reason I use Fuji is the light weight and small size. If I were to go with the "red badge zooms," the FF systems become very tempting.

Exactly the conclusion I've come to as well. Although, I don't think I can part with the 90!

ninjagowoo
ninjagowoo Regular Member • Posts: 119

I've done pretty much that, but with one caveat - I keep a prime around for low light. My usual travel kit is the 16-55, 50-140, and then a prime for low light (either the 16 or 23 f1.4 right now). I have never used the 8-16 and probably won't because wide just isn't my thing. I have the 10-24 (got it before the 8-16 was a thing) and it sees very rare use.

Since you commented that you were a bit apprehensive on the 16-55, I'll say that the size and weight has not bothered me at all. I've brought it with me on many day-long treks with no issues, but that aspect is rather subjective and so YMMV. The IQ leaves nothing to be desired. When I travel, this lens is on my camera probably 90% of the time, and if not on the camera, it's right there in my bag. In my opinion the biggest downside to the 16-55 is that it lacks a bit of the conspicuous nature of a smaller prime (useful for candid or street). A small price to pay for the quality and convenience though.

ninjagowoo's gear list:ninjagowoo's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1

maybe:

1) 100-400 w/ tc 1.4

2) 16-55

3) 50-140

4) 14

then I just call it a day for a few years ...

lewiedude2
lewiedude2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,623

TRIODEROB wrote:

maybe:

1) 100-400 w/ tc 1.4

2) 16-55

3) 50-140

4) 14

then I just call it a day for a few years ...

Yep, seems more thought out. I could never get used to the distortion of the 8-16 Red Badge AND its inability to use filters due to the front element's buldge. I would substitute it for the 10-24, if I was thinking wider than my 16-55. The 50-140 is my next lens. As for the AWESOME 16-55, it is glued to my X-T2 and performs way beyond my any expectations that I had when I purchased it. I carry it around lots and use both the Peak Design Slide (not the Slide light) and the PD Capture (all v3). Hanging the X-T2 off my shoulder strap with the 16-55 on is no problema.

lewiedude2's gear list:lewiedude2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
crowley213
crowley213 Contributing Member • Posts: 694

ninjagowoo wrote:

I've done pretty much that, but with one caveat - I keep a prime around for low light. My usual travel kit is the 16-55, 50-140, and then a prime for low light (either the 16 or 23 f1.4 right now). I have never used the 8-16 and probably won't because wide just isn't my thing. I have the 10-24 (got it before the 8-16 was a thing) and it sees very rare use.

Since you commented that you were a bit apprehensive on the 16-55, I'll say that the size and weight has not bothered me at all. I've brought it with me on many day-long treks with no issues, but that aspect is rather subjective and so YMMV. The IQ leaves nothing to be desired. When I travel, this lens is on my camera probably 90% of the time, and if not on the camera, it's right there in my bag. In my opinion the biggest downside to the 16-55 is that it lacks a bit of the conspicuous nature of a smaller prime (useful for candid or street). A small price to pay for the quality and convenience though.

In regards to the zooms the same here, the 16-55 and the 50-140 are my favorite lenses and I have them with me all the time. Yes, they are heavier than a prime, but their versatility is for me more important than size and weight.

I am also (still) not a wide angle shooter, therefore the 8-16 is (at this moment) not really of interest for me. The 100-400 could be interesting for birding, but at this moment I hesitate a little to spend the money for the times where I really would need it.

In regards to a fast prime I still struggle a little bit. Having still my X100T I already have the 23mm focal length available with a slightly faster lens. Nevertheless I am still thinking to get me either the 23mm f/1.4, what is my preferred focal length, or the 16mm f/1.4, what could be more useful shooting indoors in low light. At this moment the newest rebate for the 23mm f/1.4 (-$250) makes me really thinking...!

Herbert

crowley213's gear list:crowley213's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,140

TRIODEROB wrote:

1) the 14

2) 23 f2

3) 35 magic

4) keeping the red badge 100-400

the :

1) 8-16

2) 16-55

3) 50-140

here is my reasoning

any comments ?

I don't think you'll miss a thing, and zooms are great for capturing perspective from where you're standing.

But for me, the lack of the 14mm and 23mm would be problematic because of the weight during long backcountry trips. I can't see carrying two big zooms.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
crowley213
crowley213 Contributing Member • Posts: 694

Nothing crazy at all regarding such an idea!

All stated lenses deliver great IQ and will (most likely) not disappoint you. And if you can live with their "drawbacks", means size and weight compared to a prime lens, the "lack" of image stabilization in the 16-55, then why not?

And no, at least for me the 16-55 is neither "really" heavy nor big, used on my X-T3. For me the way more important factor is its versatility and image quality. As always, it´s about the compromises we have to make and we are willing to make.

Herbert

crowley213's gear list:crowley213's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 12,178

Do you want to shoot with zooms instead of primes?

That's the only question you need to answer.

(Sounds like a nightmare to me, but that's what many people prefer.)

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more

the 16-55 I am going to rent it

I am going o rent it for the weekend and will post a few images to this thread

lets see how good it is

El Chubasco
El Chubasco Contributing Member • Posts: 760

I have thought to do the same thing. That is when my heart takes over. When my brain speaks size and weight are the main reason not to do it.

So far I am keeping my cheaper/light/smallish lenses

El Chubasco's gear list:El Chubasco's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic LX100 Fujifilm XP120 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 +11 more

never let emotion over rule logic

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads