Dust inside a purchased used Tamron lens: how much is too much?

Started May 1, 2019 | Discussions
janimalia
janimalia New Member • Posts: 2
Dust inside a purchased used Tamron lens: how much is too much?

Hi! I've been reading posts from this forum for a while now and found answers to nearly all of my questions without starting a thread. But now there is something that is bugging me and I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Long story short, I bought a used Tamron 70-300 Di VC USD from an online shop. The product description said the lens is used, but technically flawless. I bought it for 180 EUR ($200) while a new one costs about $360 in shop, so I was not expecting mine to be impeccable. The lens does not look like it has been dropped or abused in any other way, however I noticed some dust under the front piece. After using the lens for about a week, I think I see even more dust (maybe it was stuck on the inner walls of the barrel and now moved to the optics). The dust is very fine and I did not see any signs of a fungus. Pictures:

I have roughly a week to decide if I want to keep this lens. I generally like the picture quality, but I have little idea how this dust really affects the pictures or how would these pictures look without the dust.

I would love to hear some opinions to help me decide what to do with it now (i.e, keep or not to keep).

Here are a couple of pictures made with this dusty lens:

Thanks!

J

janimalia's gear list:janimalia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Canon EOS 40D Nikon D90 Canon EOS 1200D Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +3 more
golfhov Forum Pro • Posts: 11,893
Your call

https://petapixel.com/2015/07/02/how-much-does-a-scratch-affect-the-quality-of-a-lens/

You can Google other similar scenarios. It take a LOT of imperfections on the front element to significantly impact images. So I wouldn't worry too much about a little dust trapped under the front element.

That said. This will impact your ability to resell it and there is the question of whether you feel the seller treated you fairly. Those are your call. I don't even know enough details to form an opinion

Cheers

golfhov's gear list:golfhov's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
jvc1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,193
Re: Dust inside a purchased used Tamron lens: how much is too much?

If they told you it was "technically flawless", they mislead you. It's not likely to have much affect on your images but, as another said, will impact resale value. I'd probably return it being that they more or less lied about it.

-- hide signature --

I keep some of my favorite pictures here,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129958940@N03/

jvc1's gear list:jvc1's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +10 more
RSTP14 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,359
 RSTP14's gear list:RSTP14's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +4 more
khunpapa
khunpapa Senior Member • Posts: 2,664

Here's the front of my lens. Donno it has such this dust

until there's the abnormal sun flare in the frame.

-- hide signature --

Flashes of my Memory.

khunpapa's gear list:khunpapa's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Sigma DP1 +10 more
janimalia
OP janimalia New Member • Posts: 2

Thank you all for your input! I think I will keep the lens, I don't think I will gain anything from going through the trouble of sending it back and then buying it new for more money. I suspect it has another problem -- the Ultrasonic Silent Drive is not silent, especially compared to Canon 55-250 STM. I bought this Tamron for birding so a little bit of extra noise doesn't make it less useful. Nevertheless, I am still annoyed with the seller and will avoid buying from them in the future.

Great point about using a tool for removing the dust -- I will probably do that.

On a related note, I really enjoyed reading this post: https://wordpress.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches/

janimalia's gear list:janimalia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Canon EOS 40D Nikon D90 Canon EOS 1200D Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +3 more
RCicala
RCicala Contributing Member • Posts: 796

rogerstpierre wrote:

It will not affect IQ, but if it bothers you it looks like it would be pretty easy with the right tool to clean it up.

https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer-Camera-Lens-Openning-Repairing/dp/B0734PH87W/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=CjwKCAjwqqrmBRAAEiwAdpDXtN_IDcshyUh5-IUTXXOlCm2f695ns-C7LOGcWR4VboSlzEXhqySeKRoCh_oQAvD_BwE&hvadid=208489752431&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9001606&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=11264189380694305117&hvtargid=kwd-301513091943&hydadcr=4519_9156528&keywords=lens+tool&qid=1556838967&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Spanner wrenches are a gateway too. Pretty soon you have collections of special screwdrivers, little wrenches, work lights. . . . .  .

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads