Canon EOS RP sales nosedive in Japan

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
WSteveP
WSteveP Senior Member • Posts: 1,214
Canon EOS RP sales nosedive in Japan

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/canon-eos-rp-sales-nosedive-in-japan

Article blames lack of native lenses. However given the compatability of EF lenses (with adapter) I'm not sure that would be the reason.

I wonder how sales are in north America and Europe.

Comments?

-- hide signature --

"A camera is a tool for learning to see without a camera."
(Dorothea Lange)
http://www.pbase.com/steve_p/galleries

WSteveP's gear list:WSteveP's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Tamron 18-400mm F3.5-6.3 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
rrc1967 Regular Member • Posts: 388
Re: Canon EOS RP sales nosedive in Japan

We wrote up a huge article on this.

https://www.canonnews.com/new-bcn-report-eos-rp-struggling-in-japan

I think that DCW's rendition of our article misses a ton of points.

Frankly, while the results didn't warm any canon fan hearts, they should have been expected.

Also I'm not sure that the A7 III is the natural competitor for the RP, Canon may have created it to go against Sony's continual selling of the A7 II and A7 which they felt was easier low hanging fruit to capture.  Which the RP seems to have done extremely well against.

Canon (or any camera manufacturer, or most businesses even) take the long view approach to their market penetration.

It's just going to take a while for the RF mount to gain traction, of course, it doesn't help that with the EOS RP they just did some things ... oddly with the camera.

73Instamatic
73Instamatic Regular Member • Posts: 393

WSteveP wrote:

Article blames lack of native lenses. However given the compatability of EF lenses (with adapter) I'm not sure that would be the reason.

Comments?

I think the market is just settling into long term tiers. So the initial sales were high as latent demand was in effect. And now that the "bloom is off the rose" (the product isn't new anymore) things are approaching a steady-state.

Keep in mind that the R & RP combined have 27% in that graph. That's not bad. Especially given the R & RP use very minor re-worked versions of the same sensors in the latest 5D and 6D. There's not a ton of incentive to switch if you already own one of those.

I do believe there are people waiting for more native RF lenses that cost under $1000. And still others anxiously waiting a new "Pro" R body to use with the expensive lenses. We know those will come too. It just takes time.

The mirrorless market is a marathon. Not a sprint.

WSteveP wrote:

One comment on this again, I think more the lack of a kit lens to be more of a problem.  I don't really think lenses, in general, are a problem, but the lack of a suitable kit lens is just freaking odd.

73Instamatic
73Instamatic Regular Member • Posts: 393

rrc1967 wrote:

Frankly, while the results didn't warm any canon fan hearts, they should have been expected.

Also I'm not sure that the A7 III is the natural competitor for the RP, Canon may have created it to go against Sony's continual selling of the A7 II and A7 which they felt was easier low hanging fruit to capture. Which the RP seems to have done extremely well against.

Canon (or any camera manufacturer, or most businesses even) take the long view approach to their market penetration.

It's just going to take a while for the RF mount to gain traction, of course, it doesn't help that with the EOS RP they just did some things ... oddly with the camera.

Generally agree.

But you do have to look at the R as a natural competitor to the A7 III.

I believe the $300 (Body), $500 (kit) discount for May will help. And I also assume it will become a "perpetual" deal in some form. At least at those prices it's exactly the same as the A7 III.

N-VB Regular Member • Posts: 118

The biggest hoax after homeopathy is; EF lenses are not native.

Canon lenses on Canon cameras, it works even better than on any dslr, but hey ... it's internet.

N-VB's gear list:N-VB's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon 6D Mark II Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +31 more

73Instamatic wrote:

rrc1967 wrote:

Also I'm not sure that the A7 III is the natural competitor for the RP, Canon may have created it to go against Sony's continual selling of the A7 II and A7 which they felt was easier low hanging fruit to capture. Which the RP seems to have done extremely well against.

Generally agree.

But you do have to look at the R as a natural competitor to the A7 III.

I believe the $300 (Body), $500 (kit) discount for May will help. And I also assume it will become a "perpetual" deal in some form. At least at those prices it's exactly the same as the A7 III.

The deal is part of national photo month and isn't specifically the EOS R,etc.

For instance, the 5D Mark IV got a huge deal

I don't think that Canon (nor Nikon) is any natural competitor to Sony - yet.

Expecting them to compete on equal footing is extremely premature.

What I tend to watch more is how Canon is doing against the other new entrant systems; L system, and the Z system, versus how they will do right now against the Alphas.

The E mount is a rich and varied ecosystem, and technically they have mostly cameras in every slot necessary.  It's going to take years before Canon and Nikon can turn the corner and compete against them.

JoWinter Forum Member • Posts: 65

rrc1967 wrote:

WSteveP wrote:

One comment on this again, I think more the lack of a kit lens to be more of a problem. I don't really think lenses, in general, are a problem, but the lack of a suitable kit lens is just freaking odd.

I agree, absolutely. If you want to achieve a 15 or 20 percent market share, you need to attract buyers that do not yet own a Canon full-frame DSLR yet (Canon M and APS-C owners, those coming from other brands). These potential customers do not own EF lenses.

Some people suggest that the availability of the adapter and the existing ecosystem of EF lenses is good enough, but I don't think so. Few potential buyers will consider an EF lens now as a stop-gap until a similar RF lens comes out in one, two, three years. Sure, Canon can't introduce all these lenses at once, but they need to cover the gap. Affordable, versatile kit lenses are essential for that.

I have a really hard time figuring out why Canon did not introduce a true RF kit lens one along with the RF -- even though I accept that they are playing a long game.

XeroJay
XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 2,063

N-VB wrote:

The biggest hoax after homeopathy is; EF lenses are not native.

Canon lenses on Canon cameras, it works even better than on any dslr, but hey ... it's internet.

Completely agree. I've used both native and "adapted" versions of lenses on all three systems (A7III, Z6, and EOS-R as well as EOS-M) and the plain truth is that native is somewhat overrated. It certainly doesn't assure better speed, accuracy or performance over adapted. In the case of the EOS-R, an EF lens is every bit as brilliant in all aspects as that lens would ever be on a DSLR. Heck, in the Sony/Sigma EF world, some of those EF Sigma Art lenses work faaaar better adapted to the MC-11 than they ever did "natively" on any Canon body.

As far as I'm concerned, EF lenses ARE a part of the EOS-R system.

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more
Silvex Senior Member • Posts: 1,379
It means the RP will selling below...

...$1000 sooner than I expected. Great news for those who may be considering it.

BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,568

Lack of native lenses seems like a reasonable reason to me considering that you don't get all of the features with adapted EF lenses that you do with native RF lenses.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,568

If only that were true

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 8,147

WSteveP wrote: Article blames lack of native lenses.

For first-time Canon FF buyers, I think it's hurt by the lack of a cost-effective, non-L, RF kit lens.

"It will also be sold as a body-and-lens kit with the RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM lens for $2399.00" - Canon USA launch press release

Re: It means the RP will selling below...

Silvex wrote:

...$1000 sooner than I expected. Great news for those who may be considering it.

ummm probably not?

XeroJay
XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 2,063

BirdShooter7 wrote:

Lack of native lenses seems like a reasonable reason to me considering that you don't get all of the features with adapted EF lenses that you do with native RF lenses.

What specific features do you not get with EF lenses adapted vs RF native?

-- hide signature --

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,358
After initial excitement for $1399 FF-M; poor Video Handicap COOL ↓ excitement

WSteveP wrote:

Article blames lack of native lenses. However given the compatability of EF lenses (with adapter) I'm not sure that would be the reason. I wonder how sales are in north America and Europe. Comments?

I'm not surprised.  I was overly excited by the rumor of $1399 Canon RP: part of me WISH it could be true; part of me know it won't be $1399, or the anticipation of actually announcement really culminate into an high excitement upon RP's release.

But soon after, some sobering reality merged to cool ↓ my excitement for it:

• Canon RP doesn't shoot @24fps.  Important for Slow-Mo from 60p or 120p
  • Canon RP can't shoot @120p Slow Motion that a $899 Fuji X-T30 can
  • Canon RP AF is worse than I expected
  • Canon RP Eye AF are nearly useless

So while I do like the "idea" of a FF mirrorless for $1399.  I want a real video-capable system and so far a $899 Fuji X-T30 seem like a much better buy offering me a 120p Slow Motion @200mpbs, an Eye AF tracking that works, and a native 4K without crop.

That being said, RP is a Fantastic STILL-ONLY camera, but in Today video-centric-YouTube everywhere world, I wanted a camera with better video ability and sadly RP isn't that prince I hope it would be.

koenkooi Regular Member • Posts: 119

XeroJay wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

What specific features do you not get with EF lenses adapted vs RF native?

The "High speed display" option, that's RF only. But turning it around, I can now use a polarizer on all my EF lenses with the adapter, even the ones with bulbous elements or special ones like the MP-E where front filters will pick up the flash.

From my limited time with the RF50 and RF24-105, RF lenses feel like they focus faster/less hesitant than EF lenses. OTOH, all my EF lenses are relatively old designs, the newest is from 2009, the 100mm f/2.8L.

jay-A Regular Member • Posts: 296
Re: It means the RP will selling below...

rrc1967 wrote:

Silvex wrote:

ummm probably not?

Indeed. They are probably already selling at low margin, so going further below would be at a loss. Canon want their market share back but probably not at any cost.

Peak freak Contributing Member • Posts: 507

WSteveP wrote:

Comments?

As a long time Canon user who was totally unimpressed by the $2000 6D2, I was very impressed by the $1300 EOS RP (market forces huh?)  However, as appealing as a relatively inexpensive, small and light FF body is... it desperately needs similarly matched lenses to realize its (market) potential - something like EF-M FF lenses. Adapted EF lenses might work well on it, but as a new buyer into FF I don't think Canon did as well as they should have. Sony made that dirt cheap 28-70 as an option, but what I would really like is equivalents to Nikon's new 'S' line zooms. Why is my perfect camera spread over three or four manufacturers?! [Actually, Tamron might just be producing the zooms for Sony that suit me. Get your act together Canon! I want to stay, but...]

FujLiver
FujLiver Contributing Member • Posts: 691
Re: After initial excitement for $1399 FF-M; poor Video Handicap COOL ↓ excitement

007peter wrote:

WSteveP wrote:

Article blames lack of native lenses. However given the compatability of EF lenses (with adapter) I'm not sure that would be the reason. I wonder how sales are in north America and Europe. Comments?

I'm not surprised. I was overly excited by the rumor of $1399 Canon RP: part of me WISH it could be true; part of me know it won't be $1399, or the anticipation of actually announcement really culminate into an high excitement upon RP's release.

But soon after, some sobering reality merged to cool ↓ my excitement for it:

• Canon RP doesn't shoot @24fps. Important for Slow-Mo from 60p or 120p
  • Canon RP can't shoot @120p Slow Motion that a $899 Fuji X-T30 can
  • Canon RP AF is worse than I expected
  • Canon RP Eye AF are nearly useless

So while I do like the "idea" of a FF mirrorless for $1399. I want a real video-capable system and so far a $899 Fuji X-T30 seem like a much better buy offering me a 120p Slow Motion @200mpbs, an Eye AF tracking that works, and a native 4K without crop.

That being said, RP is a Fantastic STILL-ONLY camera, but in Today video-centric-YouTube everywhere world, I wanted a camera with better video ability and sadly RP isn't that prince I hope it would be.

have to disagree

video is so not important

if I did proper video (like I know people who do) I would have a proper video camera and not a stills camera with pretensions, like all the mirrorless are. Even the Sony mirrorless supremos are nothing like proper video cameras (which are made by Sony ah hem!).

As for blogs and youtube, my iphone and OPPO are plenty good enough

Lastly the RP is excellent for HD video. 4K is a waste of space unless you are a proff and really need it

Focus is excellent IMHO

I understand you said that the RP is a good stills cameas, IMHO its one of the best due to its weight and relative quality, but killing these cameas for video doesn't make sense. No one killed the Fuji's for their terrible video. just accepted them as the great stills cameras they are

FujLiver's gear list:FujLiver's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads