chaimav Contributing Member • Posts: 901
A couple of shots from Colonial Williamsburg

All are SOOC.

chaimav's gear list:chaimav's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 27,483
Timing.....

You are catching people at odd moments which makes the images unpleasant.

In the first shot you caught the woman at an unflattering moment in her stride.  In another shot, the man's arms are in a weird position holding something.  In another, you have motion blur in the man's arms, etc.

All of these can be fixed with timing.  Be patient, anticipate where things are going to be-especially a quiescent moment in the flow, be quick on the trigger and you will have much more flattering photo's.

tEdolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +8 more
OP chaimav Contributing Member • Posts: 901
Re: Timing.....

tedolf wrote:

In the first shot you caught the woman at an unflattering moment in her stride. In another shot, the man's arms are in a weird position holding something. In another, you have motion blur in the man's arms, etc.

All of these can be fixed with timing. Be patient, anticipate where things are going to be-especially a quiescent moment in the flow, be quick on the trigger and you will have much more flattering photo's.

tEdolph

While I appreciate the comment that some of them could have been timed better, I rather like the in-stride moment of the first image. With her ramrod straight posture, it still allows for a sense of motion. Besides, I also had to account for where she was relative to the background. I find her well balanced between the building and the tree at this moment.

tedolf
Rationalization.....

chaimav wrote:

tedolf wrote:

In the first shot you caught the woman at an unflattering moment in her stride. In another shot, the man's arms are in a weird position holding something. In another, you have motion blur in the man's arms, etc.

All of these can be fixed with timing. Be patient, anticipate where things are going to be-especially a quiescent moment in the flow, be quick on the trigger and you will have much more flattering photo's.

tEdolph

While I appreciate the comment that some of them could have been timed better, I rather like the in-stride moment of the first image. With her ramrod straight posture, it still allows for a sense of motion.

Rationalization is a powerful tool.

If you really believe what you are saying, enter it into a photo contest and see how it does.  There is a challenge contest right here on this website so it should be easy.

Besides, I also had to account for where she was relative to the background. I find her well balanced between the building and the tree at this moment.

See above.

tEdolph

Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +8 more
Re: Rationalization.....

I never claimed that it was a prize winning photo. Just that I liked it.

OK, I found an appropriate challenge, but I am not sure if I will have time to get it posted next week as I will be on the road. I also want to see what I can do with some PP as well if time permits. Right now what I posted is SOOC.

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=13745

green Challenge #4 in the Color Challenge series. Hosted by Tim Reidy Productions.

Challenge is announced but not yet accepting submissions

something green preferably from spring and summer.

• item should look natural, but anything goes otherwise.
  • the Judge dq decision is final.

If all 77 entries are received, I predict it will rank somewhere in the 40s. Not the best, but not the bottom of the barrel either.

tedolf

chaimav wrote:

OK, I found an appropriate challenge, but I am not sure if I will have time to get it posted next week as I will be on the road. I also want to see what I can do with some PP as well if time permits. Right now what I posted is SOOC.

green Challenge #4 in the Color Challenge series. Hosted by Tim Reidy Productions.

If all 77 entries are received, I predict it will rank somewhere in the 40s. Not the best, but not the bottom of the barrel either.

We shall see.

I commend you for taking the "challenge".

TEdolph

filmluvr
filmluvr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,609

chaimav wrote:

I like it, too. In fact, each image seems to represent an uncontrived slice of life.

Jack

filmluvr's gear list:filmluvr's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM +8 more
Re: A couple of shots from Colonial Williamsburg

I took a crack at editing the first image, keeping in mind that I planned on entering it in the 'Green' challenge so I focused on the greens and the woman. Editing was done in RawTherapee, so I did not have access to any pixel level editing or advanced masks. I applied a gradient to darken the building behind her and a vignette to bring out her face. All other edits were done on a global level.

C&C on editing welcome but keep in mind that I do not have Lightroom or Photoshop, and never had a chance to learn Gimp.

tedolf

filmluvr wrote:

chaimav wrote:

I like it, too. In fact, each image seems to represent an uncontrived slice of life.

A 17th century re-enactment is "uncontrived"?

How can that be?

Jack

Tedolph

tedolf wrote:

filmluvr wrote:

chaimav wrote:

A 17th century re-enactment is "uncontrived"?

How can that be?

Jack

Tedolph

I believe the intent was that the actions were uncontrived, i.e. the motions were captured in an as-is state. The costumes and workshops were obviously re-creations but they were fully functional.

They were real artisans who knew their trade (as well as history). The bookbinder is seen rolling leather which he actually uses to cover books, the chef really cooked the foods in laid out in front of him in that kitchen, the lady in is really combing wool to be spun, etc..

Krav Maga
Krav Maga Senior Member • Posts: 2,692

chaimav wrote:

All are SOOC.

I'm assuming SOOC JPEGs?

I think that all would have benefited immensely from being shot from a generally lower angle; at level with the subject's eyeline or just a tad lower. I realize that it appears as though you were probably shooting around and over other people, thus the lower angle may have been a challenge.

Number one is okay.

Number two would have benefited  from a lower angle for sure. Also, the wonky verticals are distracting (shooting more straight on would have helped in that regard); to me, anyway. Also, the errant shoulder in the lower left corner is a real bummer.

Number four would be the best of the bunch had it been shot from a much lower angle to include the entire cutting table, and if the hands weren't motion blurred; too slow of a shutter speed. Unless his hands had been in the actual process of doing something identifiable, and it were much tighter.

I generally like these kinds of shots.

-- hide signature --

I feel more like I do now than I did before ...
https://www.danielmedley.com

Krav Maga's gear list:Krav Maga's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +3 more

Yes, unfortunately there were other people and tight spaces to work around. Plus it was a family trip not a photography one, so time wasn't on my side either.

#1 was shot while sitting on the ground waiting online for a tour of the lower courthouse. I saw her walking and quickly pulled out the camera.

tedolf wrote:

chaimav wrote:

We shall see.

TEdolph

#40 of 82

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=1105857&ref_=pe_1674010_132618830

tedolf

chaimav wrote:

tedolf wrote:

chaimav wrote:

We shall see.

TEdolph

#40 of 82

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=1105857&ref_=pe_1674010_132618830

Well done.

I saw a photo in another thread whee a person (child actually) was captured in stride but it was very appealing.  I will link to it if I can re-locate it.

Tedolph

tedolf wrote:

chaimav wrote:

tedolf wrote:

chaimav wrote:

We shall see.

TEdolph

#40 of 82

Well done.

I saw a photo in another thread whee a person (child actually) was captured in stride but it was very appealing. I will link to it if I can re-locate it.

Tedolph

No need. I noticed your comment there already

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads