My a6400 is overheating and shutting down ...

Started Apr 29, 2019 | Discussions
spark343 Junior Member • Posts: 32
My a6400 is overheating and shutting down ...

I've bought the a6400 because of it's ability of unlimited recording, but unfortunately in a well cooled environment the camera display the overheating icon and shut down a few minutes later ...

Is it happening to someone else ?

someguy50 Regular Member • Posts: 353
Re: My a6400 is overheating and shutting down ...

I would exchange/return that ASAP.

Off The Mark Senior Member • Posts: 4,268

Which SD card are you using?

-- hide signature --

Crashing sucks!!!

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +7 more
OP spark343 Junior Member • Posts: 32

Off The Mark wrote:

ADATA V90 128GB, but it seem like he doesn't overheat if I open the screen ...

Aliaswave New Member • Posts: 15

spark343 wrote:

Off The Mark wrote:

My a600 doesn't overheat if I pull the screen out. The Screen seems to cause a lot of heat.

Aliaswave wrote:

spark343 wrote:

Off The Mark wrote:

My a600 doesn't overheat if I pull the screen out. The Screen seems to cause a lot of heat.

The screen by himself doesn't overheat, but it's definitely blocking the heat from dissipating from the body.

Aliaswave New Member • Posts: 15

It also creates heat against the body which doesn't help.

So I did more testing this morning, and even if the room is cooler than in my previous test, the camera overheat after 45 minutes of recording, despite pulling the screen out ... Can't find a pattern, seem totally random.

Jeff Style Contributing Member • Posts: 832

It DOES overheat in 4k, just not as quickly as previous A6xxx bodies. 1080 is where people are reporting that it records nonstop without overheating. I personally haven't seen a review where it didn't overheat in 4k eventually.

Jeff Style's gear list:Jeff Style's gear list
Samsung NX300 Sony a7 III Sony a6500 Sony a6400 Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +12 more

Most of the tests I've seen online, showing no overheating, where in 4K as well.

I've did more testing this after-noon, and I've been able to record 5h30 min on a 256GB card, USB connected (the battery is still draining but very slowly, showed 51% at the end), without any interruption.

The screen was pulled out and the camera on a tripod, allowing an airflow at the bottom as well.

After further testing, I think the lens help dissipate the heat. For exemple, if you use a Zeiss lens with metal housing, it will serves as a dissipator compared to a plastic Sony G lens like the 24-105. The camera overheat with the Sony G lens.

I

Off The Mark Senior Member • Posts: 4,268

How about trying with a USB battery but recording internally to that SD card you used previously?

Two of the biggest heat causing issues are the battery getting hot and the power used to write to the SD card. I remember that some people claimed that a poorer quality SD card could cause overheating problems (with a5100 and a6000 cameras).

-- hide signature --

Crashing sucks!!!

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +7 more
PDGood
PDGood New Member • Posts: 18

Off The Mark wrote:

How about trying with a USB battery but recording internally to that SD card you used previously?

Two of the biggest heat causing issues are the battery getting hot and the power used to write to the SD card. I remember that some people claimed that a poorer quality SD card could cause overheating problems (with a5100 and a6000 cameras).

I researched the overheating issue a great deal before buying this camera. It apparently only happens shooting 4K and there are lots of youtube videos offering solutions. Most agree with Off The Mark that the battery and slow transfer rates are the problem.

One guy swears that if you get the right card, the problem is solved. He recommended getting the SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB. I was surprised to find how cheap it is - but there's a catch. There are several different cards with that same description - you have to look at the transfer rate which is written in small type on the face of the card. That SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB card ranges from $40 - $200 depending on the transfer rate. The cheap one does 170mb per second, the $200 one does 300mb/second.

NotAPhotog Regular Member • Posts: 440

Other than getting the right card as Off the Mark suggested above, I would try to dissipate as much of the heat as possible. I have an A6000 which only shoots 1080p, but indoors on a tripod I keep the battery door open, tilt the screen away from the body, flip open the charging port and pop up the flash. This cools the camera as much as possible, but obviously I would avoid this if you are shooting outside.

NotAPhotog's gear list:NotAPhotog's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EOS M100 Sony a7 III Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 9,738

PDGood wrote:

Off The Mark wrote:

I researched the overheating issue a great deal before buying this camera. It apparently only happens shooting 4K and there are lots of youtube videos offering solutions. Most agree with Off The Mark that the battery and slow transfer rates are the problem.

One guy swears that if you get the right card, the problem is solved. He recommended getting the SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB. I was surprised to find how cheap it is - but there's a catch. There are several different cards with that same description - you have to look at the transfer rate which is written in small type on the face of the card. That SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB card ranges from $40 - $200 depending on the transfer rate. The cheap one does 170mb per second, the $200 one does 300mb/second.

Remember that the a6400's write speed is limited by its driver to about 35MB/sec. The Extreme Pro cards do 170MB/sec and higher. There's little point in using a card faster than about 45MB/sec.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6400 Nikon Z50 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 +8 more
PDGood
PDGood New Member • Posts: 18

mosswings wrote:

PDGood wrote:

Off The Mark wrote:

Remember that the a6400's write speed is limited by its driver to about 35MB/sec. The Extreme Pro cards do 170MB/sec and higher. There's little point in using a card faster than about 45MB/sec.

Good info. I admit, I have no practical knowledge of these things, only passing along what I've read. Here's an article that delves into this a little more deeply:
https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/sony-a6400-sd-card-recommendations/

GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 9,598

spark343 wrote:

Most of the tests I've seen online, showing no overheating, where in 4K as well.

I've did more testing this after-noon, and I've been able to record 5h30 min on a 256GB card, USB connected (the battery is still draining but very slowly, showed 51% at the end), without any interruption.

The screen was pulled out and the camera on a tripod, allowing an airflow at the bottom as well.

After further testing, I think the lens help dissipate the heat. For exemple, if you use a Zeiss lens with metal housing, it will serves as a dissipator compared to a plastic Sony G lens like the 24-105. The camera overheat with the Sony G lens.

I

That's great work with all that testing, but before assuming it's the lens, it sounds like you changed the card and the power.  Either of those two could be a factor as well.  I don't think you can conclude it's the lens yet, but if the metal lens felt warm, that's a good indication.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 +10 more
sinnerz2000 Regular Member • Posts: 344

mosswings wrote:

PDGood wrote:

Off The Mark wrote:

Do you have any source where it says the write speed is only 35mbps? That's extremely low.

sinnerz2000's gear list:sinnerz2000's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS LG V30
mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 9,738

sinnerz2000 wrote:

mosswings wrote:

PDGood wrote:

Off The Mark wrote:

Do you have any source where it says the write speed is only 35mbps? That's extremely low.

Note the CAPITAL B in my numbers. That's mega-BYTES per second...so the write speed of the a6400 interface is approximately 35*8 = 280megabits per second. Card and driver speeds are expressed in megabytes/second typically. Do a Google search on the a6400 driver write speed. Here's a direct test of several UHS-1 and UHS-2 card types. For still photos, the card write speed can be very close to the driver write speed, so my 45MB/sec number. All you need is a UHS-1 U3 (minimum 30MB/sec write speed) card to handle 4K video. There's no practical difference between a 95MB/sec card and a 200MB/sec card. The driver is the limiting factor.

https://alikgriffin.com/best-memory-card-sony-a6400/

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6400 Nikon Z50 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 +8 more

I will definitely try with this SD card as I’ve to buy a new one anyway, but even with V90 lenses I got overheating.

something that’s sure for me is that the lens material is also very important, if it’s a metal lens, the camera is less prone to overheating as the lens help to dissipate the heat.

I’ve tested tons of combinations, but with the same card and power source, when using Sony plastic lenses like the 24-104 and 85mm 1.8 the camera overheat, but when using Zeiss metal lenses like the 24, 55 and 16-35 the camera don’t overheat.

So in my conclusion only the lens provoked an overheating. I’ve tested crappy cards and never got any overheating with the Zeiss 16-35.

Anyway it’s not hard to imagine that a metallic lens helps to dissipate the heat. By the way I didn’t get any overheating with the MC-11 too.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads