Would you repair an Epson 4900?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Timzee Senior Member • Posts: 1,057
Would you repair an Epson 4900?

For various reasons our Epson 4000 has not been used for a number of months. Last time used there were some issues that we didn't resolve at the time and other endeavors found us without a need to use it.  Just starting now to dig into things to see whether we can bring it back to life again.

I'd say that in all the years we've had the printer it's gotten light to moderate use at best. My thinking is that even if we have to have it repaired professionally that it would be worth the cost to do that.

Of course a lot depends on how much it would cost to "refurbish" but we've had excellent results from one shop in particular and my thinking that even it it costs several hundred dollars that it would worth the investment.

What say you?

Jeff_Donald
Jeff_Donald Regular Member • Posts: 430
Re: Would you repair an Epson 4900?

We had a lightly used Epson 4900 but it sat for too long with inks (2 months?) and it had a fatal head clog. Cost to replace the heads was way too expensive. Last July an Epson P7000 was donated to the Center and it’s sits for days and weeks and never misses a beat. The image quality is better than 4900 and the improvements to the heads are noticeable with regard to head clogs. I’d never go back. My advice is to bite the bullet and upgrade if economically feasible.

-- hide signature --

Executive Director Florida Center of Creative Photography

Jeff_Donald's gear list:Jeff_Donald's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Ricoh GR Digital IV Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III +49 more
Alan Goldhammer Junior Member • Posts: 48

The 4900 requires constant printing otherwise you will be plagued with clogs.  IMO, it's not worth repairing.  If you need a 17 inch printer you should move up to either the P800 or the Canon Pro-1000.

bluehighwayman Contributing Member • Posts: 612

Alan Goldhammer wrote:

The 4900 requires constant printing otherwise you will be plagued with clogs. IMO, it's not worth repairing. If you need a 17 inch printer you should move up to either the P800 or the Canon Pro-1000.

Ditto on that!

bluehighwayman's gear list:bluehighwayman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +5 more
md lucero Regular Member • Posts: 200

+2

pixelgenius
pixelgenius Senior Member • Posts: 2,566

Alan Goldhammer wrote:

The 4900 requires constant printing otherwise you will be plagued with clogs. IMO, it's not worth repairing. If you need a 17 inch printer you should move up to either the P800 or the Canon Pro-1000.

That was my experience too. I hated it because I wasn't printing every day but setup a script to do so and that helped a lot. But I shouldn't have had to. Newer Epson's (specifically my P800) do not suffer this issue. So yeah, unless the repaired printer gets used nearly daily, the history of the 4900 isn't that good IMHO.

mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 8,232

The 4900 was the most clog prone printer Epson ever made. So unless you have masochistic tendencies I'd replace it with a P5000 if you do a lot of printing with roll paper or the P800 (or Canon Pro1000) if you don't.

OP Timzee Senior Member • Posts: 1,057

Appreciate the input & advice from all who replied.

My reluctance to just give up on the 4000 is based on a couple of factors, one being the fact that we have so much invested in replacement ink for the 4000. Seems a shame to just toss that (or perhaps give it away?).

Also at a recent PCExpo my partner and I were admiring a wall of photo prints that were quite stunning. Turns out all of them were printed on a 4000. That reinforced my opinion that despite any issues and the fact that newer models might have an edge in print quality that the 4000 was still a very capable printer.

But in any event, it does seem that the writing is on the wall and that given its age it's probably time to just let it go.

Interestingly we also have a much older 3800. That printer has been set aside in the studio for over four months without being used at all. Just last week I needed an 11x14 print and decided to see how the 3800 might work and much to my surprise, after only one head cleaning  cycle the print check came out perfectly as well as the final print. Did  not expect that.

mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 8,232

Timzee wrote:

My reluctance to just give up on the 4000 is based on a couple of factors, one being the fact that we have so much invested in replacement ink for the 4000. Seems a shame to just toss that (or perhaps give it away?).

Also at a recent PCExpo my partner and I were admiring a wall of photo prints that were quite stunning. Turns out all of them were printed on a 4000. That reinforced my opinion that despite any issues and the fact that newer models might have an edge in print quality that the 4000 was still a very capable printer.

But in any event, it does seem that the writing is on the wall and that given its age it's probably time to just let it go.

Interestingly we also have a much older 3800. That printer has been set aside in the studio for over four months without being used at all. Just last week I needed an 11x14 print and decided to see how the 3800 might work and much to my surprise, after only one head cleaning cycle the print check came out perfectly as well as the final print. Did not expect that.

You keep saying 4000. That's a very different printer from the 4900. Which one do you have?

OP Timzee Senior Member • Posts: 1,057

mike earussi wrote:

Timzee wrote:

Interestingly we also have a much older 3800. That printer has been set aside in the studio for over four months without being used at all. Just last week I needed an 11x14 print and decided to see how the 3800 might work and much to my surprise, after only one head cleaning cycle the print check came out perfectly as well as the final print. Did not expect that.

You keep saying 4000. That's a very different printer from the 4900. Which one do you have?

Rats-- yes the printer in question is our 4900!  Some kind of brain fart there apparently...

Apologies for the confusion.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads