Ditching Canon for Sony (talk me off the ledge?)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Todd Meyers Senior Member • Posts: 1,149
Ditching Canon for Sony (talk me off the ledge?)

I've been a Canon DSLR shooter since the first digital Rebel. Currently, I've got a decent collection of EF and EF-S lenses, a 70D, a 600D, various flashes and accessories, etc. As I've been a Canon loyalist for going on 20 years, I've watched as Sony went from a small wannabe to actually making me regret being stuck with all this Canon gear.

In-body stabilization - it seems Canon will never do this.

Mirrorless APS-C - it isn't clear if Canon will ever do this, but I'm tired of waiting.

4K video - Canon seems to be the worst among the big players at video.

Affordability - Sony is clearly the value leader here, with the most lens flexibility, and they don't cripple bodies through software limitations to nearly the degree that Canon does.

There are other reasons I'm frustrated as a Canon owner. So talk me off the ledge here. It feels like this is the time for me to dump all my Canon glass, while it's still worth something, and jump ship. Am I wrong? I really would like to be wrong. But Canon just isn't showing me a clear path forward, or at least giving me vague assurances that they're taking the concerns of folks like me into account.

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Myrgjorf Regular Member • Posts: 383
Re: Ditching Canon for Sony (talk me off the ledge?)

Todd Meyers wrote:

Mirrorless APS-C - it isn't clear if Canon will ever do this, but I'm tired of waiting.

Joking or been asleep since 2012?

Good luck with your shiny new Sony, BTW.

-- hide signature --

Oh no! He should know by now that "equivalence" is a forbidden word for APS-C but perfectly allowed for 1” Sonys, compact cameras, smartphones and maybe even for M43s.

Myrgjorf's gear list:Myrgjorf's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS M50 +17 more
OP Todd Meyers Senior Member • Posts: 1,149

Myrgjorf wrote:

Todd Meyers wrote:

Not joking.  I'm not looking for a M or RP camera.  I want something like a mirrorless 7D Mark II.

altair8800 Senior Member • Posts: 2,000

Todd Meyers wrote:

Myrgjorf wrote:

Todd Meyers wrote:

Not joking. I'm not looking for a M or RP camera. I want something like a mirrorless 7D Mark II.

Are you saying Sony has such a camera?

Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 4,657

You seem to want to be pushed.

Please post a list of the lenses you'll be selling.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon PowerShot S20 Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 80D +7 more
gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 1,658

I jumped off the ledge in 2016, but scrambled back up onto it pretty quickly.

When I upgraded from my Canon T3i I wanted something smaller and lighter, so I picked up a Sony a6000. It looked wonderful on paper, but in use the ergonomics and I were not compatible. It had fiddly little buttons, unfathomable menu structure, and the grip was about useless. I bought an 80D and it has just been a pleasure to use. With the Sony my hand ached after trying to carry it for a half hour because I had to squeeze it so hard to keep from dropping it. With the 80D, I can hang it in the curve of my fingers and carry it all day. (I do not normally use a strap.) And the buttons on the Canon are large, precise, tactile, and located such that I can make any changes with my eye at the finder. The camera is truly a pleasure to use. It takes pretty darned good photos, too, in spite of all the anti-Canon spec rants on the forums.

For me, 4K video is not an important factor. I do not want to deal with those huge file sizes and do not have a 4K TV. YMMV. IBIS doesn't matter to me, either. Most of my lenses are stabilized, and the ones that aren't don't need it for my uses.

My advice, check the ergonomics carefully before you buy. They are more important than tiny differences in specs.

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +1 more
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,953

Not sure what to tell ya here, but the camera you want doesn't really exist.  Sony's FF offerings are great, but their APS-C cameras leave a lot on the table.  The newest A6400 looks solid but it's not a 7D class of camera. Plus the APS-C lens lineup from Sony is pretty abysmal IMHO.  And as mentioned, Sony's ergonomics and menus are not the greatest.  I've heard of numerous users who are frustrated by this.

If you're dedicated to APS-C, Fuji seems to be the strongest player in that arena.  Lots of great glass and their newest bodies are pretty sweet.  But...no IBIS (except the XH1) and from what I read Fuji and flashguns don't always play nicely together.  So if you're a heavy user of flashguns there may be some limitations there.

Every system is a compromise...

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +10 more

gscotten wrote:

I jumped off the ledge in 2016, but scrambled back up onto it pretty quickly.

When I upgraded from my Canon T3i I wanted something smaller and lighter, so I picked up a Sony a6000. It looked wonderful on paper, but in use the ergonomics and I were not compatible. It had fiddly little buttons, unfathomable menu structure, and the grip was about useless. I bought an 80D and it has just been a pleasure to use. With the Sony my hand ached after trying to carry it for a half hour because I had to squeeze it so hard to keep from dropping it. With the 80D, I can hang it in the curve of my fingers and carry it all day. (I do not normally use a strap.) And the buttons on the Canon are large, precise, tactile, and located such that I can make any changes with my eye at the finder. The camera is truly a pleasure to use. It takes pretty darned good photos, too, in spite of all the anti-Canon spec rants on the forums.

For me, 4K video is not an important factor. I do not want to deal with those huge file sizes and do not have a 4K TV. YMMV. IBIS doesn't matter to me, either. Most of my lenses are stabilized, and the ones that aren't don't need it for my uses.

My advice, check the ergonomics carefully before you buy. They are more important than tiny differences in specs.

Very fair feedback.  Thanks.

gipper51 wrote:

Not sure what to tell ya here, but the camera you want doesn't really exist. Sony's FF offerings are great, but their APS-C cameras leave a lot on the table. The newest A6400 looks solid but it's not a 7D class of camera. Plus the APS-C lens lineup from Sony is pretty abysmal IMHO. And as mentioned, Sony's ergonomics and menus are not the greatest. I've heard of numerous users who are frustrated by this.

If you're dedicated to APS-C, Fuji seems to be the strongest player in that arena. Lots of great glass and their newest bodies are pretty sweet. But...no IBIS (except the XH1) and from what I read Fuji and flashguns don't always play nicely together. So if you're a heavy user of flashguns there may be some limitations there.

Yeah, those are fair points.  My main frustration is with Canon's 4K.  I bought the 70D knowing its limitations, but full expected more from the 80D.  Sony's mount offers a lot of versatility in matching lenses across their bodies, and they don't cripple the software like Canon does.  And the IBIS breathes new life into a lot of cheap Sony and older Minolta lenses.  It's just frustrating knowing Canon is not innovating in this space; they're just protecting their market share when they could be playing big,

pawn Senior Member • Posts: 2,316

Todd Meyers wrote:

I've been a Canon DSLR shooter since the first digital Rebel. Currently, I've got a decent collection of EF and EF-S lenses, a 70D, a 600D, various flashes and accessories, etc. As I've been a Canon loyalist for going on 20 years, I've watched as Sony went from a small wannabe to actually making me regret being stuck with all this Canon gear.

Affordability - Sony is clearly the value leader here, with the most lens flexibility, and they don't cripple bodies through software limitations to nearly the degree that Canon does.

There are other reasons I'm frustrated as a Canon owner. So talk me off the ledge here. It feels like this is the time for me to dump all my Canon glass, while it's still worth something, and jump ship. Am I wrong? I really would like to be wrong. But Canon just isn't showing me a clear path forward, or at least giving me vague assurances that they're taking the concerns of folks like me into account.

They are just tools.  If you think tools from other companies help you to take better images, go ahead and switch.

-- hide signature --
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,953

Todd Meyers wrote:

gipper51 wrote:

Not sure what to tell ya here, but the camera you want doesn't really exist. Sony's FF offerings are great, but their APS-C cameras leave a lot on the table. The newest A6400 looks solid but it's not a 7D class of camera. Plus the APS-C lens lineup from Sony is pretty abysmal IMHO. And as mentioned, Sony's ergonomics and menus are not the greatest. I've heard of numerous users who are frustrated by this.

If you're dedicated to APS-C, Fuji seems to be the strongest player in that arena. Lots of great glass and their newest bodies are pretty sweet. But...no IBIS (except the XH1) and from what I read Fuji and flashguns don't always play nicely together. So if you're a heavy user of flashguns there may be some limitations there.

Yeah, those are fair points. My main frustration is with Canon's 4K. I bought the 70D knowing its limitations, but full expected more from the 80D. Sony's mount offers a lot of versatility in matching lenses across their bodies, and they don't cripple the software like Canon does. And the IBIS breathes new life into a lot of cheap Sony and older Minolta lenses. It's just frustrating knowing Canon is not innovating in this space; they're just protecting their market share when they could be playing big,

I hear ya.  It's a shame Canon is so far behind in video since they were one of the first to put video into DSLRs (first to make a FF with video).  The competition has left them in the dust here.  I'm not a video shooter so it doesn't bother me, but I can see where the frustration would be for those that are.

I'm a heavily invested Canon user that also has a Sony body as a supplement that I use with that glass for certain things.  I constantly consider replacing one of my DLSRs with a newer Sony body but every time I run the pros/cons it just doesn't work out.  It's other things beyond just "what lenses", but things like remote live view systems that I'm considering upgrading are not Sony compatible (Camranger).  It's the ecosystem as a whole.

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +10 more
trulandphoto
trulandphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 877
 trulandphoto's gear list:trulandphoto's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +12 more

pawn wrote:

Todd Meyers wrote:

I've been a Canon DSLR shooter since the first digital Rebel. Currently, I've got a decent collection of EF and EF-S lenses, a 70D, a 600D, various flashes and accessories, etc. As I've been a Canon loyalist for going on 20 years, I've watched as Sony went from a small wannabe to actually making me regret being stuck with all this Canon gear.

They are just tools. If you think tools from other companies help you to take better images, go ahead and switch.

I'm happy with my images.  I'm not as happy with the effort it takes to get there, or the lack of 4K features that my friends have, or the IBIS they enjoy that I never will have with Canon.

gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 1,658

gipper51 wrote:

I hear ya. It's a shame Canon is so far behind in video since they were one of the first to put video into DSLRs (first to make a FF with video). The competition has left them in the dust here.

Canon certainly is not incapable of making 4K video. They make some of the best video cameras in the world. Perhaps they are trying to protect their videocam products. Or perhaps they have done market research that shows only a small percentage of DSLR owners care about 4K video. When I asked in my camera club, not a single member said that 4K was a key factor that they would look for in their next camera.

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +1 more
Stan in NH Senior Member • Posts: 1,366

I use both a Canon 80D and a Sony A6000.  I find there are times when I prefer one camera over the other.  For total versatility and ease of use, I prefer my 80D however, when size and weight become an issue, the A6000 is a perfect carry camera.  Both yield excellent IQ, and have good AF systems.  The Sony has a confusing, albeit extensive, menu structure ... especially compared to Canon's relatively straightforward one.  Also, the 80D has about double or triple the battery life of the smaller Sony.

Canon offers a much larger selection of lenses, competitively priced, with lots of third party offerings.  Sony lenses are very expensive, with less selection and less third party offerings.

Sony's FF offerings are very impressive, and I have been looking at the A7 111 which is an exceptional camera.  Still, there is really nothing my 80D can't do well, so it's hard to justify spending  thousands of dollars for another system right now.  I'm not a video shooter, so can’t really comment on that.

Stan in NH's gear list:Stan in NH's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Canon EOS 80D Sony a6400
photoholiko Senior Member • Posts: 2,513

I'm satisfied with my Canon 70D and plan to keep it but when I go FF it will be Sony, I can adapt my Canon lenses and maintain AF as well as adapting other lenses. Sony cams have IBS, focus peeking, sweep pano and other features. I don't plan to buy Sony lenses so their expensive lenses won't affect me and for action shots I'll use my Canon.

For you I would recommend, keep your Canon equipment and add a Sony, you can always sell if it doesn't work for you.

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 Canon EOS 20D +28 more
photosen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,216
Is this for real?

Todd Meyers wrote:

And conversely other brands don't do in lens stabilization, different philosophies.

LOL so there's no M series? I'm starting to wonder about your honesty.

4k is the new dynamic range, a trap for newbies.

Way wrong, ask all those who get Sony cameras only to then use Canon lenses. Second reason for doubting your honesty.

All this lazy reasoning tells me at best you've already made your mind, at worst this is dishonest trolling; so please, go with Sony.

-- hide signature --

The best bokeh goes unnoticed, grasshopper.

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
benjilafouine Senior Member • Posts: 2,097

trulandphoto wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwYN7mTi6HM

Funny! At first I thought my computer was broken...

-- hide signature --

Regards,
There is always something to shoot/snap, you just have to know how to do it and have the right gear.
Benji

benjilafouine's gear list:benjilafouine's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 40D +12 more
Stricnine Contributing Member • Posts: 710

Todd Meyers wrote:

If you want to jump to Sony... why ask for anyone's approval here?  It's you're decision not ours.  What you'll likely get in this forum more people trying to persuade you to stay Canon because they feel personally affronted that you would switch from Canon.  In the Sony forums the majority will be telling you to switch to affirm their decision/feelings about Sony cameras.

-- hide signature --
 Stricnine's gear list:Stricnine's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM +5 more
Traveller Veteran Member • Posts: 5,856
No, I Disagree, Mr. Meyer's Question Makes Perfect Sense....

...I've toyed with the idea of jumping to Sony....DR is kind of a holy grail in digital photography and Sony seems to have a greater gamut at this particular time....and the new Sony's are sweet to look at, they just look different than our DSLR's, they feel different in the hand....and the pictures they produce are pretty damned good.

But the lens selection is poor, imo, and more expensive....

But more importantly, any limitation in my photography with Canon is due to my shortcomings in talent and technique and time, time to dedicate to my hobby of photography.

But Sony's are nothing to be sniffed at, at least not any more.

Lastly, I have learned a bit from this thread and so I thank Mr. Meyer for that.

Best Wishes, Traveller

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads