Is this the reality of EF glass on the A9?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
blusbyphoto
blusbyphoto Forum Member • Posts: 95
I shoot adapted EF glass on Sony bodies every day professionally (MC-11)

Literally every day I shoot my EF mount glass adapted on my A7III's and yesterday shot with the A9.  I shoot everything from real estate to weddings.  I do not shoot much sports, but for all my uses, I have a significantly higher keeper rate with my EF adapted to E lenses than I did on any of my 5D bodies (I've had them all, since the original 5D).

My personal conclusion is that the adapted glass works better on the Sony bodies than on their native Canon bodies (in my experience).  I rarely can even tell the difference in performance from my native Sony glass to my adapted glass.

There is an exception.  Some of my older Canon L glass just doesn't work at all with the MC-11.  My 24 f1.4L MK1 didn't work, and neither did my 100mm F2.8L Macro.

Obviously for the best of the best performance, a native mount Sony lens will be the best bet.  I am quite happy using my adapted lenses professionally and am sure that I am getting better results than I did with my Canon/Canon system.

OP sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,503
Re: I shoot adapted EF glass on Sony bodies every day professionally (MC-11)

blusbyphoto wrote:

Literally every day I shoot my EF mount glass adapted on my A7III's and yesterday shot with the A9. I shoot everything from real estate to weddings. I do not shoot much sports, but for all my uses, I have a significantly higher keeper rate with my EF adapted to E lenses than I did on any of my 5D bodies (I've had them all, since the original 5D).

My personal conclusion is that the adapted glass works better on the Sony bodies than on their native Canon bodies (in my experience). I rarely can even tell the difference in performance from my native Sony glass to my adapted glass.

There is an exception. Some of my older Canon L glass just doesn't work at all with the MC-11. My 24 f1.4L MK1 didn't work, and neither did my 100mm F2.8L Macro.

Obviously for the best of the best performance, a native mount Sony lens will be the best bet. I am quite happy using my adapted lenses professionally and am sure that I am getting better results than I did with my Canon/Canon system.

Everything from real estate to weddings....

Do you shoot any video?

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony FE 28mm F2 Samyang 135mm F2.0 +3 more
blusbyphoto

I do not shoot video.  My experience with adapted lenses is for still photography.   I can't comment regarding video capabilities.

blusbyphoto

sportyaccordy I enjoyed looking through your flickr photos.  If you are looking to do more work like that, you should be very happy with adapted lenses.  Esp since the latest firmware updates, people photography is a dream.  Pets are also super easy with the new pet eye AF.  I gave my 9 year old daughter my A7III and Sigma 35 f1.4 adapted to Sony using the MC-11, set it to animal eye AF and here are the photos she produced.

From this past Saturday morning, all shot at F1.4...

OP sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,503

Thanks blusbyphoto. Impressive photos by your daughter. That could be a Sony marketing campaign!

Most of the photos in my Flickr were taken with adapted EF glass. I still mainly shoot adapted EF glass, and am in the process of selling some of the only native FE lenses I've ever bought (Samyang 1.4 primes)

With my A7R2 I'm able to get enough done, but I do shoot a little video, and to that end adapted glass is frustrating. I had the A7III briefly and it was amazing... much better than the Mk2s... but I still think video AF did not work very well. Eventually I would like to get an A9 as my main body and save the A7R2 as a landscape body/backup body for my wife, but I think that is still limited on video. Meanwhile, Canon & Nikon have no problem with adapted glass and video. All my gripes apply to A-mount as well so it's hardly just an EF to E thing.

Hopefully the scale enabled by Canikon's FF MILCs will prompt the 3rd party manufacturers to port over more zooms. $2200 for the 24-70 GM is too rich for my blood and $1300 for the 24-105G just doesn't feel like good value when the RF 24-105 is $800 and the EF 24-105L is like $600 and every bit as good IQ/AF wise. But if Tamron can port over its $1200 2.8 zooms (I need 24-xx for my standard) I'll be on board. That def works for me.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony FE 28mm F2 Samyang 135mm F2.0 +3 more
JRP64
JRP64 Contributing Member • Posts: 844
Re: Is this the reality of EF glass on the A9?

My opinion if I was "seriously" going to jump ship to a different camera manufacturer I would also convert all my glass over to native glass. An hour video on something that could had been said in under 5 minutes is silly. I would had just said "using adapters on Sony Alpha cameras is a hit or miss" and just left it at that.

JRP64's gear list:JRP64's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads