***This week with your a7x/a9, Apr 27th - Mai 3rd, 2019***

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
BrainDrain Junior Member • Posts: 33
up up and away

Trying my hand at portrait shooting, took my crazy red-headed friend out and this is my favorite. C&C away if you are so inclined. Love the a9 and 20 fps, makes it so easy to get great shots but I'm just learning to edit...

up up and away

BrainDrain's gear list:BrainDrain's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +2 more
Andre JF
Andre JF Contributing Member • Posts: 543
Hiking season just started ...

... so me and my wife spend the night in one of the local mountains.

Third year of our hiking project "Kortreist" (nearby faraway...) We try to do as meny hikes as possible the local mountains. A lot of beutifull hiking spots around here, no reason to travel far and spending lots of money, this is short hikes, one or two nights in tent, close to our home town, eco friendly and affordable outdore life.

Images dony with A7II and Loxia 21mm, the two first ones are stiched panoshots. The last one is done with Loxia 85mm

This years first camp site ...

another view on the camp site.

And when we look the other way, this view ...

Sunset and long into the blue hours.

"Norge er ikke skapt for å sitte på ræva"

My wifes slogan: "Norway was not created for you to sit on your ass ..."

-- hide signature --

Andre JF
AndreJaingam.smugmug.com

Andre JF's gear list:Andre JF's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +11 more
Andre JF
Andre JF Contributing Member • Posts: 543
Re: A7ii and animal eye m/f

enjoy the apolanthar 65mm, got on myself. Love it, close up it is lovely to work with, but at portrait distances I find it quita a challenging to focus...  I prefere to use my Loxia 85mm for shots like these. Nice dog, my border collie loves water too.

-- hide signature --

Andre JF
AndreJaingam.smugmug.com

Andre JF's gear list:Andre JF's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +11 more
meshal Forum Member • Posts: 55
Re: ***This week with your a7x/a9, Apr 27th - Mai 3rd, 2019***
 meshal's gear list:meshal's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 60D Sony a7 III Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +4 more
Peter Precht Forum Member • Posts: 87
A7 III Firmware 3.0 Eye-AF animal with Canon 2.0 / 35mm and metabones V

Hello,

again no 2.0 or 1,8/35mm for sony fullframe - i bought a Canon EF 2.0/35mm IS USM and a Metabones V..

First attempt animal eye AF at ISO 2500

crop at f 3.2

Peter Precht's gear list:Peter Precht's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +4 more
rogerjosem
OP rogerjosem Senior Member • Posts: 2,413

SimonB93 wrote:

I made an 8-day trip to slovenia last week and got some images I quite like!

Lonely chapel

Cabin in the valley

Reflections at lake Jasna

Sunset alpenglow

Sunrise reflections at Zelenci nature reserve

Bled from above

Bled's golden sunrise

Blue bled

Logarska Dolina

Wedged rock in the Tolmin gorge

Beautiful series Simon. Very well executed. Great job!!!

rogerjosem's gear list:rogerjosem's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a7R III Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +9 more
rogerjosem
Re: Magical lemonade

omrhsn wrote:

Super excited today! One of my food photos was voted the winner in a challenge. The challenge was to shoot food with the color purple dominant in the frame. The first photo is the winning shot.

Well deserved win! Wonderful images Omer!

Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a7R III Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +9 more
hungrylau Senior Member • Posts: 1,311

Very nicely done!

-- hide signature --
 hungrylau's gear list:hungrylau's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Loxia 35 Zeiss Loxia 50
Paul Barnard
Paul Barnard Veteran Member • Posts: 3,199
Re: Hiking season just started ...

Andre JF wrote:

Third year of our hiking project "Kortreist" (nearby faraway...) We try to do as meny hikes as possible the local mountains. A lot of beutifull hiking spots around here, no reason to travel far and spending lots of money, this is short hikes, one or two nights in tent, close to our home town, eco friendly and affordable outdore life.

Images dony with A7II and Loxia 21mm, the two first ones are stiched panoshots. The last one is done with Loxia 85mm

Your wife has it right!  And the resulting images are great!

Paul Barnard's gear list:Paul Barnard's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +4 more
omrhsn
omrhsn Regular Member • Posts: 272
Re: Magical lemonade

rogerjosem wrote:

Well deserved win! Wonderful images Omer!

Thanks Roger

omrhsn's gear list:omrhsn's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Apple iPhone 8 Plus Apple iPad Air 2
aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 1,895
Q: How fast can a Sony A9 track and keep focus?

A: Pretty darned fast!

A swallow caught on the wing catching insects ... moving at super high speed !

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
rainrunner Regular Member • Posts: 220
Re: ***This week's backpack trip with my a7ii, Apr 27th - 28th, 2019***

Some pics from this weekends overnight backpack trip to Mt Hood.

Most everyone here are heading out to see the wildflowers, but we choose solitude in the snow.

This was my first test of night pictures using my new Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens on my Sony A7ii.  After this test, I have to say I like this lens quite a lot.  Wish it went wider, but I think that would have increased size and weight.  This lens is at the upper end of what I want to carry on a backpack trip.  I think it did a decent job on night photography, and gave what I consider great portrait pics.

Not much sunlight left to take pictures when we left the trailhead at 9 pm.

The 30% moon didn't rise until 3:45 am, but this was one of the moonless shots I got before head to sleep.  5000 iso

Woke up just before 4am with some moonlight and a boatload of climbers scaling Mt Hood

Lots of headlamps from the climbers making their way to the 11,250 ft summit of Mt Hood.

I used the clear zoom functions on my Sony A7ii to get a closer look at the climbers.... Not sure how this differs from cropping a shot in post processing though.

Dusk came up quickly on me losing the stars.

The east started to lighten up and my early morning photo shoot progressed.

My long anticipated first light began to shine on Mt Hood.  Please excuse all the dirty snow, this is late season snow with covered in all the sand being blown around Mt Hood constantly which is why I wanted just one lens to carry for all my shooting needs, not swapping out lenses with all the fine dust blowing in the air in search of a sensor to land on.

Again using the camera clear zoom to get a close up of Mt Hood.  The only downfall of this method to get a close up, is that it takes the shot in jpeg not raw.

The early morning light captures more of Mt Hood.  Watching the sequence of the light spreading over Mt Hood, made me think I should do a time lapse sequence.  But the exposure varies so much I might have an issue with over exposure.  Maybe just having it in aperture priority with auto iso might help with that problem.

Mt Hood fully lit, time to pack up and head back to the car.

Heading back down the White Water canyon to the parking lot.  The hike was 1.8 miles each way, and only 82 miles from our house.

And finally the portrait quality of the camera in the outdoors.   Sure I could have done better, but my pack was 40 pounds, and my lovely wife doen't like to wait around until I get everything set up for the "perfect" shot.

Overall, I am liking the Tamron Lens.  I used the Sony 24-105 f4 lens on our backpacking  vacation to Yosemite last year, but that lens was heavier, larger, and didn't do as well for night shots, plus it costs $300 dollars more.  I am cheap and want lighter weight camera gear.

rainrunner's gear list:rainrunner's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
rainrunner Regular Member • Posts: 220
Re: Hiking season just started ...

Andre JF wrote:

You have some great shots here!

Looks like a gorgeous place to backpack.

rainrunner's gear list:rainrunner's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
rogerjosem
Re: ***This week's backpack trip with my a7ii, Apr 27th - 28th, 2019***

rainrunner wrote:

Some pics from this weekends overnight backpack trip to Mt Hood.

Most everyone here are heading out to see the wildflowers, but we choose solitude in the snow.

This was my first test of night pictures using my new Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens on my Sony A7ii. After this test, I have to say I like this lens quite a lot. Wish it went wider, but I think that would have increased size and weight. This lens is at the upper end of what I want to carry on a backpack trip. I think it did a decent job on night photography, and gave what I consider great portrait pics.

Not much sunlight left to take pictures when we left the trailhead at 9 pm.

The 30% moon didn't rise until 3:45 am, but this was one of the moonless shots I got before head to sleep. 5000 iso

Woke up just before 4am with some moonlight and a boatload of climbers scaling Mt Hood

Lots of headlamps from the climbers making their way to the 11,250 ft summit of Mt Hood.

I used the clear zoom functions on my Sony A7ii to get a closer look at the climbers.... Not sure how this differs from cropping a shot in post processing though.

Dusk came up quickly on me losing the stars.

The east started to lighten up and my early morning photo shoot progressed.

My long anticipated first light began to shine on Mt Hood. Please excuse all the dirty snow, this is late season snow with covered in all the sand being blown around Mt Hood constantly which is why I wanted just one lens to carry for all my shooting needs, not swapping out lenses with all the fine dust blowing in the air in search of a sensor to land on.

Again using the camera clear zoom to get a close up of Mt Hood. The only downfall of this method to get a close up, is that it takes the shot in jpeg not raw.

The early morning light captures more of Mt Hood. Watching the sequence of the light spreading over Mt Hood, made me think I should do a time lapse sequence. But the exposure varies so much I might have an issue with over exposure. Maybe just having it in aperture priority with auto iso might help with that problem.

Mt Hood fully lit, time to pack up and head back to the car.

Heading back down the White Water canyon to the parking lot. The hike was 1.8 miles each way, and only 82 miles from our house.

And finally the portrait quality of the camera in the outdoors. Sure I could have done better, but my pack was 40 pounds, and my lovely wife doen't like to wait around until I get everything set up for the "perfect" shot.

Overall, I am liking the Tamron Lens. I used the Sony 24-105 f4 lens on our backpacking vacation to Yosemite last year, but that lens was heavier, larger, and didn't do as well for night shots, plus it costs $300 dollars more. I am cheap and want lighter weight camera gear.

Great series! I really like #3 and #5. Nice job!

morcup
morcup New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Photomerged 4 photos in Photoshop

Cool.  I would be interested to see a preview of the original images to see how they differ.

morcup's gear list:morcup's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony a7 II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Apple iPhone 6
silentstorm Senior Member • Posts: 1,187
A few from the week

Was using the FE 70-300mm.  All shots are heavily cropped.

Think this belongs to the thread of "lonely benches" in another forum

Hope you like them.

rogerjosem

wade maney wrote:

8 Bit PNG - a7riii and Sony 90 mm macro

Wade

This is a lovely image Wade!!!

JayRayMe
JayRayMe Regular Member • Posts: 223

Opéra Garnier, Paris

JayRayMe's gear list:JayRayMe's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7 III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +3 more
wade maney Regular Member • Posts: 356

Thanks Roger - I really enjoyed the colors and the look of this flower as it fully opened. The 90 mm Sony macro is a great lens.

Wade

wade maney's gear list:wade maney's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +6 more
whyGodwhy12 New Member • Posts: 10

First month with the a7iii and really loving it! Critique welcomed!

(I am not sure how to upload the full resolution pic on dpreview)

whyGodwhy12's gear list:whyGodwhy12's gear list
Sony a7 III Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads