EM1X, birds, April 25 2019

Started 2 months ago | Photos
Paul Auclair Veteran Member • Posts: 5,276
EM1X, birds, April 25 2019

RAW/LR, hand held. ProCap L, 3X3, sensitivity +1.

starting to come alive around here...

American Coot

red-winged blackbird

mallard

unknown mechanical bird

mallard

northern shoveler

red-necked grebe(s)

-- hide signature --

as always,
thank you fellow DPR members for your kind words and encouragement.

Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 15,672
Re: EM1X, birds, April 25 2019

Nice! (One of those birds looks really strange. )

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

OP Paul Auclair Veteran Member • Posts: 5,276
a few more...

tree swallow (heavily cropped)

black-billed magpie

another tree swallow (heavily cropped)

grackle

-- hide signature --

as always,

nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,049

Great shots Paul, even the huge BIF Nicely done and glad you are having more show up.

All the best Paul and keep them coming.

Danny.

nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony a7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +6 more

nzmacro wrote:

Great shots Paul, even the huge BIF Nicely done and glad you are having more show up.

All the best Paul and keep them coming.

Danny.

now that 'they' are showing up, i'm hoping i'll get more.

-- hide signature --

as always,

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Nice! (One of those birds looks really strange. )

it showed up and I (try to) shoot anything that moves.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

as always,

RobPNth Contributing Member • Posts: 505

Lovely series Paul!

-- hide signature --
mikero Contributing Member • Posts: 841

Lovely set, Paul.  Are you coming to any conclusion on the best setting for sensitivity in most situations?

Mike

mikero's gear list:mikero's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon Extender EF 2x III +8 more
Peter 1745 Senior Member • Posts: 1,432

Paul Auclair wrote:

unknown mechanical bird

Lockheed Martin C-130J-30 Super Hercules, belonging to 436 Squadron CAF, specifically aircraft number 130601, based at CFB Trenton.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter
'Keep taking the photos'

J4Hug Senior Member • Posts: 1,231
BIF are good :-)

These images are sharp ... do you get the odd one in a burst that is not? I have seen this on some of mine and apparently it is the same on a tennis match.

-- hide signature --
 J4Hug's gear list:J4Hug's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 +12 more
JulesGo
JulesGo Regular Member • Posts: 362
Re: a few more...

Du beau travail Paul.  Le E-M1X semble bien travailler pour toi.  Bravo !

-- hide signature --

Jules Gobeil
Nature photographer - Photographe de la nature
https://www.flickr.com/photos/julesgobeil/

JulesGo's gear list:JulesGo's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +2 more
R Liewenberger Regular Member • Posts: 198

Peter 1745 wrote:

Paul Auclair wrote:

unknown mechanical bird

Lockheed Martin C-130J-30 Super Hercules, belonging to 436 Squadron CAF, specifically aircraft number 130601, based at CFB Trenton.

These six-bladed Js must be some kind of migratory birds; the Yankee version, having their nest at Ramstein, usually show up here in July.

The cargo door always open, they usually turn right over my head, then fly to the Eastern horizon where they drop off dozens of little green men, not CIA style but on parachutes.

Not the quality of Paul's good shots, but taken with the old E-5 and the 50-200:

Another one, different year:

Liewenberger

Peter 1745 Senior Member • Posts: 1,432

R Liewenberger wrote:

Peter 1745 wrote:

Paul Auclair wrote:

unknown mechanical bird

These six-bladed Js must be some kind of migratory birds; the Yankee version, having their nest at Ramstein, usually show up here in July.

The cargo door always open, they usually turn right over my head, then fly to the Eastern horizon where they drop off dozens of little green men, not CIA style but on parachutes.

Not the quality of Paul's good shots, but taken with the old E-5 and the 50-200:

Another one, different year:

Liewenberger

It is a fairly uniquitous bird. Local varients of the species can be identified by their plumage (search the web for "C130 camouflage" for lots of images of different plumages).

It is definitely migratory and can be found nesting from the Arctic to the Antarctic.

Interestingly the juvenile varients are actually larger than the more mature members of the species.

They are quite promiscuous. They mate on the wing, not just with each other but with many other types of mechanical birds, where large quantaties of bodily fluids are exchanged. The male appendage is readily displayed just above the nose but the female parts are usually discretely hidden until aroused. Hermaphrodite individuals are quite common in certain parts of the world.

Whilst usually very docile they may, when threatened, disgorge flares and smoke. Some sub varients of the species can be surprisingly aggressive (e.g. AC-130).

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter
'Keep taking the photos'

mikero wrote:

Lovely set, Paul. Are you coming to any conclusion on the best setting for sensitivity in most situations?

Mike

nope.
I did set/use positive values yesterday but I started out trying to capture swallows. There were only 3 of them so it was a slow sparse process. I still need more time (willing subjects mostly)to capture comparisons.
I’m the best guy for doing comparisons.
Next time with the larger(than sparrows) Birds I’ll use 0 as I’m almost sure it won’t be noticeable to me.
I still have an urge to try Center AF priority.

-- hide signature --

as always,

Re: BIF are good :-)

J4Hug wrote:

These images are sharp ... do you get the odd one in a burst that is not? I have seen this on some of mine and apparently it is the same on a tennis match.

absolutely, I get many bursts with OoF frames. search drj3 threads for good explanations of why.
Seems what helps improve keeper for me is waiting for “the AF beep”.
When I consciencously wait for the beep I seem to get more bursts which have far fewer OoF frames...and that is not just at the start of the burst.
However maybe I’m just shaking the rust off too and getting a little better at keeping the camera on the birds.
I use the EE1 dot sight.

-- hide signature --

as always,

Opseuman Regular Member • Posts: 430
Some very nice captures !

No text.

Opseuman's gear list:Opseuman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +20 more
joeletx Senior Member • Posts: 2,575

The C-130 was the most versatile plane. It can carry at least one tank and several Jeeps. It can also take off and land on short, unpaved runway. I have the opportunity to ride on one of these over 40 years ago.

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads