rx100m6 spring walk abouts

I'm behind schedule editing prior walks, this is from yesterday

Pink Lovers Unite

and this one just to show a pano of the trees surrounding it

how about that telephone pole

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Evenstar606
Evenstar606 Senior Member • Posts: 2,644
Re: rx100m6 spring walk abouts

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Pink Lovers Unite

The houses in your neighborhood are so nice!

-- hide signature --

Courtney

Evenstar606's gear list:Evenstar606's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Apple iPhone X
Jaykayg
Jaykayg Regular Member • Posts: 438

So pretty! I think 2 is my favourite, but they’re all nice.

Jaykayg's gear list:Jaykayg's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Ken Prager Regular Member • Posts: 110

These look very nice and sharp. Are they edited or sooc?

Foto4x4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,670

Yes, you live in a very photogenic location. I enjoyed seeing it once again...

The last one with the curved telephone pole seems to have some strange image hiccups. I’ve circled some of them on the upload below. Was it a vertical panorama?

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
Quote: “If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.”, Robert Capa

Foto4x4's gear list:Foto4x4's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 +14 more
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,650

We are fortunate to live here (except the winters). This winter wasn't bad actually.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more

Glad you like them. The other closeup, 3rd from the end is the same tree, 1 hour later.

Plainfield, NJ has 9 Historic Districts, ours is Netherwood Heights, right end of this map showing the 6 connected ones. We have the wonderful winding streets (no thru traffic).

My strolling grounds below in green, this stroll the blue line, soon the purple, the rest of Sleepy Hollow Lane, the reason our neighborhood is called Sleepy Hollow

Blue dot is our house, a split level built after WWII, 1951, surrounded by the old ones. Luckily it was a handy man special in 1978, even then it was a struggle but we got it.

Except for the taxes, we love it here. I commuted by train to NYC, 1 hr each way, for 26 years, then started my own company, ran it from my home for 20 years.

The train, when new, changed everything. At one time the greatest concentration of American millionaires lived in Plainfield. Originally, from NYC, it was 1 days horse drawn coach ride, a stop over on the 2 day trip to Philadelphia.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 41,831

Foto4x4 wrote:

The last one with the curved telephone pole seems to have some strange image hiccups. I’ve circled some of them on the upload below. Was it a vertical panorama?

Good catch. I generally don't give other peoples photos such scrutiny so I missed the "hiccups". I would say yes, definitely a pano.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more

More than you asked about, yap, yap, yap

JPEGS

All my photos are OOC Jpegs, Extra Fine, typically using a CPL outdoors (remembering to rotate it most of the time). Removing CPL when ineffective (magnetic MagFilter CPL simply on/off via magnet, threaded filters not so readily off back on).

I check my edges, frame a bit wide, planning on cropping nearly every shot, but, regarding sharpness close enough to help AF find my focus point and control the metering I want to start with. I use Manual Focus frequently, AF is superb, but I love Sony's Manual Focus System and am quite quick with it.

Then I always crop first, so the PP software only sees what I am keeping when adjusting anything. I try to remember it is best to only save once, when done, to avoid repeated stages of compression.

Under Exposure

With or without the CPL, outdoors primarily, I shoot under-exposed to get better skies, avoid blowouts (sadly no clouds that day, the CPL is great for keeping sky detail). I plan on lifting the shadows in post, it is always happily surprising how much detail is retained in the shadows. Perhaps cutting highlights, but not much. Taming the skies while shooting helps avoid that. Under-expose similarly for rx100m1,3,6.

Sharpness:

The rx100's are the real deal, the magic middle, the 2012 revolution of very compact high IQ, all with terrific lenses. The m6 lens is giving very nice results for me and others.

If you put me against a firing wall, I would say the shorter range m1,2,3,4,5 lenses are a hair sharper, but not obviously at the sizes most of us view. My 27" monitor max desktop image is 23 1/2" wide x 13 1/4 h. 3:2 image thus my max view is 20" x 13-1/4" My crops 13-1/4 h x whatever.

For a while, I changed it to in-camera sharpness +1, first time I ever tried that with a Sony. I put it back to default 0 prior to this stroll.

Typically no sharpness adjustment in post, but, using Windows 10 Photo Editor, I often try it's 1 click 'enhance', it gives an instant idea for change, most often too bright for me (I love my shadows), so, it has a slider, I may just cut the slider and take that. Long way of saying, I think 'enhance' sharpens some while doing whatever it does.

Most often, after seeing 'enhance', I undo, then go to 'light adjustments', lift shadows, possibly cut highlights, save. Very occasionally I use clarity, just a bit, always afraid to overdo it.

CPL

A CPL definitely helps improve skies, but it takes time, you need to use the EVF, and you need your left hand loose to rotate the CPL, so it is unavailable to block any light with.

You need no light leak to see the CPL changes. My add-on eye cup is helping block the light from the left and top of the EVF. I need to remove my glasses to get my eye in the cup. Luckily my left eye lens replacement during cataract surgery is the one I chose for intermediate distance, the right lens is chosen for computer screen distance reading (about 28", reading is avg 14"). Without my glasses, our brain figures it out, you are unaware. My glasses make them both the same and more.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62368858

I have Photoshop Elements, used to use it for all images, but Windows 10 Photo Editor is so easy, so quick, and surprisingly good, I rarely need Photoshop.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Foto4x4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,670

tbcass wrote:

Foto4x4 wrote:

Good catch. I generally don't give other peoples photos such scrutiny so I missed the "hiccups". I would say yes, definitely a pano.

I don’t either Tom as a rule, but having recently bought an M6 I wanted to look a bit closer at the detail and just happened to pick this one.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
Quote: “If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.”, Robert Capa

Foto4x4's gear list:Foto4x4's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 +14 more
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 38,828

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Pink Lovers Unite

Should have left the following pic out! Focused on Limb not Flowers

Should have uses auto focus?

All the rest are nice shots, although a little dark? Why negative ev on all these shots?

I know why but it ain't working

processed

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more

yes, pano, you missed my comment,

a vertical pano, thus the crooked tel. pole. many think m6 panos are not as successful as prior short reach models. so far, I simply take them for fun as tests, and haven't yet examined one

the pink tree (shot over the 'for sale' sign)

the pano showing it and the monsters behind it

crop tel pole out

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Bill Borne wrote:

Should have left the following pic out! Focused on Limb not Flowers

Should have uses auto focus?

All the rest are nice shots, although a little dark? Why negative ev on all these shots?

I know why but it ain't working

processed

Well, I like the colors and compositions, and these soft pink flowers are hard for AF. When blowing in the breeze, hard for AF or MF, add unsteady me, a bad combo.

Top one is AF, I chose the branch, just going for a soft background. I'm not that happy with the quality of the backgrounds in either. It was breezy, background stuff moving, light on objects fluctuating, not really the cameras fault.

Bottom one is MF. I bobbed and weaved in/out with the flower while it was gently moving, which is why the bottom tree shows more motion blur than the flower. I prefer your lighter version, except the motion blur is more obvious.

Imagine Will's reaction to my preference for darks and shadows! After all these years I have learned nothing! I thank him every day for teaching me/showing me the perils of cutting highlights more than a little. And, it is clear, better software does a better job of cutting highlights, Photoshop easily beating Windows 10 Editor for that.

Potatoes, Tomatoos

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Same walk, sexy shadows, not real estate photos!

All right, I'll brighten this one, some.

darker version from above

Elliott

Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 38,828

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Same walk, sexy shadows, not real estate photos!

All right, I'll brighten this one, some.

darker version from above

Elliott

I like the stonework on the house behind it

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more

Bill Borne wrote:

I like the stonework on the house behind it

Lots of them around here,

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Misc from the walk

Anybody know about the red stripe in the flag?

I often mention, avoid garbage day, giant rolling cans everywhere. This was garbage day, and cars in the driveway, drain pipes, and a hose reel on the house, so I tried to bend enough to have the birds cover the hose rack, my poor knee going only so far

I see I nearly got it to look like two birds coming out of 1 body, nice idea but accidental, I was hiding the hose rack directly behind.

Trees on rain swept slopes

and the ghost of a tree

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Thanks Elliott! I had a RX100 m3 briefly, but returned it after trouble with the lens leaves sticking. I regret not exchanging it for another cam instead of returning it. The IQ was fine even in low light. I like the slightly larger size of the m6 even more than the m3.

Do you also shoot b&w? If so, do you use the in-camera b&w picture effect, or convert to b&w after? I’m a ‘lazy’ sooc shooter. 😉

Ken Prager wrote:

Thanks Elliott! I had a RX100 m3 briefly, but returned it after trouble with the lens leaves sticking. I regret not exchanging it for another cam instead of returning it. The IQ was fine even in low light. I like the slightly larger size of the m6 even more than the m3.

Do you also shoot b&w? If so, do you use the in-camera b&w picture effect, or convert to b&w after? I’m a ‘lazy’ sooc shooter. 😉

I learned in b&w in 1967. I wish I remembered to take more b&w, and to take more square aspect ratio.

Regular b&w is in 'Creative Styles'.

The Sony's have HC b&w and Rich b&w in 'Picture Effect'. I like the Wtrc Watercolor also. You need to take these as separate shots. IMO, the more the color, the more successful Watercolor is. The original rx100m1, you could convert any shot, in-camera, to an alternate watercolor version.

In film days I was into High Contrast b&w film and high contrast paper, wonderful abstracts.

They say, and I agree, you should view and compose in b&w mode, take the shot, then take the same shot in color. Photoshop Elements book says there can be a technical advantage converting color to b&w, I know not what but remember reading it.

I have both Creative Style and Picture Effect in my Fn menu, I just keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Thanks Elliott!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads