Are Monolights/Strobes Compatible With Any Camera?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Gmotivation New Member • Posts: 1
Are Monolights/Strobes Compatible With Any Camera?

Hello. I'm looking to get into the monolight/strobe arena. However, I have a Samsung Nx500 camera. Is there any monolight compatible with this camera?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Samsung NX500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jonsi
Jonsi Senior Member • Posts: 3,173
Re: Are Monolights/Strobes Compatible With Any Camera?

Gmotivation wrote:

Hello. I'm looking to get into the monolight/strobe arena. However, I have a Samsung Nx500 camera. Is there any monolight compatible with this camera?

Since your camera has a hot shoe then I'd say almost any lighting would work, using a trigger system (strobes, off-camera flash, etc.).

As for "compatible", I don't know how much functionality would be manual vs automatic but certainly any lights should be usable. Maybe someone here knows that camera and can answer that more specifically.

Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 5,676
Yes, but no TTL

Very short answer: yes, but any TTL compatibility is lost.

I invested in the Godox X system, which offers both speedlights and monolights with built-in radio trigger receivers and trigger transmitters that can control power and other parameters of the connected flashes.

There are TTL enabled flashes and manual flashes, and I chose the TTL versions, which I sometimes use on the speedlights, but have only once used on a monolight. These were all Canon compatible.

I recently happened to get a Sony RX100M2 and found the transmitter for my Canon camera can control the flashes (both monolights and speedlights) perfectly well in manual mode when mounted on the Sony.

In other words: as long as you stay in manual mode, the monolights are compatible and so is the transmitter. As for HSS, I must admit I have not yet had any use for it, so I can't comment on it.

Godox warranty is nonexistent, but if you are in the USA, Adorama sells Godox rebranded as Flashpoint with warranty.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +14 more
DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 1,051
Re: Are Monolights/Strobes Compatible With Any Camera?

Gmotivation wrote:

All strobes are compatible with your camera, unless you want to use TTL.

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads