P1000 - Blackbird in adverse light and light rain

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Augustin Man
Augustin Man Veteran Member • Posts: 9,259
P1000 - Blackbird in adverse light and light rain

Thank you for looking,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
Nikon Coolpix P1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Booted Cat Regular Member • Posts: 317
Re: P1000 - Blackbird in adverse light and light rain

Man, I thought it was the recon plane...

Augustin Man
OP Augustin Man Veteran Member • Posts: 9,259

Booted Cat wrote:

Man, I thought it was the recon plane...

LOL, thank you for the witty comment my friend!

Augustin

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,586

Nice capture.

Dale

Augustin Man wrote:

Thank you for looking,

Augustin

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Booted Cat Regular Member • Posts: 317

Speaking of blackbirds, I took some last year with my now-sold P900.

Both handheld, and back then I didn't have the awareness to pursue sharpness at 100%.

bluzman
bluzman Regular Member • Posts: 197

Augustin Man wrote:

Thank you for looking,

Augustin

Wow! That's an incredible shot at 35mm equivalent 3000mm (539mm). Was the camera on a tripod or handheld? Regardless, the P1000 continues to impress me. Thanks for posting.

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD600 Nikon Coolpix B700 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix A1000
Kate R Regular Member • Posts: 176

Such a lovely and striking portrait - I like how you’ve caught the bird’s silhouette and shown how he is just getting on with life despite the weather (as of course he has to). Beautiful too that the image is almost monochrome.

Thank you for sharing it

Catherine

Kate R's gear list:Kate R's gear list
Nikon D5300 Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR
CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 4,020

What a cute blackbird!  He has a different look than the blackbirds around here. Actually, the ones I see here in California are called "Brewer's Blackbird", so it must be a sub-species.  In fact, I got a few shots of one today when I went to the garbage dump to drop off some tree limbs and other green waste.  I must say, the birds at the dump have quite a field day with all the interesting "stuff" that's around there.

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D700 Nikon D5600 +11 more
Augustin Man

Dale108 wrote:

Nice capture.

Dale

Thank you very much my friend!

Happy shooting,

Augustin

Augustin Man

Those are excellent images, congratulations!

Happy shooting,

Augustin

Augustin Man

bluzman wrote:

Wow! That's an incredible shot at 35mm equivalent 3000mm (539mm). Was the camera on a tripod or handheld? Regardless, the P1000 continues to impress me. Thanks for posting.

Thank you very much for the nice comment! I'm a handheld shooter and I only have a Hama tripod (not a top brand) for night or very long exposures. Thus I shot that blackbird handheld in P Mode, AF Spot and continuos H mode, short sequences (3-4 images). I shot three sequences, one was out of focus and I selected the best image.

I know the feather texture is awful at 100% view, but the alternative would have been a perfect image of a black spot on the top of an old antenna

All the best my friend,

Augustin

Augustin Man

Kate R wrote:

Such a lovely and striking portrait - I like how you’ve caught the bird’s silhouette and shown how he is just getting on with life despite the weather (as of course he has to). Beautiful too that the image is almost monochrome.

Thank you for sharing it

Catherine

Thank you very much for the nice words, Catherine!

It seemed that blackbird male was actually enjoying the light rain, as he was whistling his heart out I didn't want to get an image with such a poor quality, but that was the best I achieved

Happy shooting,

Augustin

Augustin Man

CMCM wrote:

What a cute blackbird! He has a different look than the blackbirds around here. Actually, the ones I see here in California are called "Brewer's Blackbird", so it must be a sub-species. In fact, I got a few shots of one today when I went to the garbage dump to drop off some tree limbs and other green waste. I must say, the birds at the dump have quite a field day with all the interesting "stuff" that's around there.

In our garden, birds are difficult to shoot, because of our beloved Motto and his friends (Plushy, Bighead, Yellowish, etc.)!

I got good blackbird portraits with P900, but the last winter wasn't cold enought to lure them to the Pyracatha bush.

Here are two examples:

Thank you very much for looking and commenting,

Augustin

CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 4,020

Such beautiful photos.....wonderful color, contrast, detail, and nice bokeh too! Thanks for sharing these!

You mentioned Motto and birds....I recently read that more birds are "captured" by cats than by any other reason! But we can't forget that more than anything else, cats are hunters!  So birds beware!

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D700 Nikon D5600 +11 more
Augustin Man

CMCM wrote:

Such beautiful photos.....wonderful color, contrast, detail, and nice bokeh too! Thanks for sharing these!

You mentioned Motto and birds....I recently read that more birds are "captured" by cats than by any other reason! But we can't forget that more than anything else, cats are hunters! So birds beware!

I'm happy you like them! Actually I think Motto&Comp didn't catch any bird ever, much more succesful are the female cats (Missy, I told you about in the Rat's thread, has caught a lot of sparrows and other small birds).

Just yesterday Motto had a dispute with such a small bird, that kept teasing him in a small apple tree; after several rounds won by the tiny bird, Motto lost interest (or at least played like that)

Unfortunately I worked in the garden and the camera wasn't at hand.

Happy shooting my friend,

Augustin

bluzman
bluzman Regular Member • Posts: 197

CMCM wrote:

What a cute blackbird! He has a different look than the blackbirds around here. Actually, the ones I see here in California are called "Brewer's Blackbird", so it must be a sub-species. In fact, I got a few shots of one today when I went to the garbage dump to drop off some tree limbs and other green waste. I must say, the birds at the dump have quite a field day with all the interesting "stuff" that's around there.

Here are a couple of examples of a Brewer's Blackbird. The images were taken on the Pacific coast near Fort Bragg, CA in MacKerricher State Park. They don't look "cute". In fact, the second specimen was missing a leg.

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD600 Nikon Coolpix B700 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix A1000
p900learner
p900learner Contributing Member • Posts: 537

CMCM wrote:

Looking at the Birds of Europe field guide this one is definitely a Common Blackbird - only Blackbird species in Europe and has the distinctive yellow bill and narrow yellow-eye ring.

We have 5 species of Blackbird in the U.S. (Brewer's, Rusty, Red-Winged, Tri-colored, and Yellow-Headed) Range maps show you should have all of them in CA. however, the Rusty is rare in CA.

We had some Brewer's here last week (near St. Louis) and it was a nice treat - the females are greyish and do not have the yellow eye as the male. The Brewer's are quite striking imo with those piercing yellow eyes.

If I'd had my p900 or the p1000 I wouldn't have had to say "wish I'd been a little closer."

Nice photo Augustin -

Evelyn   --
https://evsphotos.smugmug.com/

p900learner's gear list:p900learner's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 FastStone Image Viewer
Augustin Man

p900learner wrote:

Looking at the Birds of Europe field guide this one is definitely a Common Blackbird - only Blackbird species in Europe and has the distinctive yellow bill and narrow yellow-eye ring.

Nice photo Augustin -

Evelyn --

Thank you very much, Evelyn!

You're right about our (European) blackbirds, with the remark that those yellow beak and eye rings are to be found to the male only; the female blackbird has duller colors and actually she isn't black either:

I like the image taken with the Sony, congratulations!

Happy shooting with your new camera,

Augustin

p900learner
p900learner Contributing Member • Posts: 537

Augustin Man wrote:

p900learner wrote:

Nice photo Augustin -

Evelyn --

Thank you very much, Evelyn!

You're right about our (European) blackbirds, with the remark that those yellow beak and eye rings are to be found to the male only; the female blackbird has duller colors and actually she isn't black either:

I like the image taken with the Sony, congratulations!

Happy shooting with your new camera,

Augustin

Great detailed image Augustin - great eyeshine.

The Sony image - thanks, its being sent back today. I'm not going to be satisfied with the shorter reach.  Decision made.  That Sony is a wonderful camera though.

-- hide signature --
 p900learner's gear list:p900learner's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 FastStone Image Viewer
KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 7,220

Under conditions very well shot!!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads