Shutter sound on pro cameras ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
kickoff3pm
kickoff3pm Regular Member • Posts: 268
Shutter sound on pro cameras ?

This is a just a question I would like answered. I don't use a pro camera just a Fuji FXT10 but I can set the shutter to silent. I'm always wondered why whenever you see reporters taking photo in press conferences that their shutters seem very loud. Don't all digital camera have a silent mode?

-- hide signature --

Look forward to more great days in the future. We owe that much to those no longer able to share our great days !

kickoff3pm's gear list:kickoff3pm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Fujifilm X-T10 +15 more
lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 4,205
Re: Shutter sound on pro cameras ?

kickoff3pm wrote:

This is a just a question I would like answered. I don't use a pro camera just a Fuji FXT10 but I can set the shutter to silent. I'm always wondered why whenever you see reporters taking photo in press conferences that their shutters seem very loud. Don't all digital camera have a silent mode?

Most do. But their are disadvantages to a silent shutter. In many cameras, the mechanical shutter allows for a faster flash sync, which is likely why press photographers would use it. And having the sound in a video of a press conference is unimportant.

ToxicTabasco
ToxicTabasco Senior Member • Posts: 2,061
Re: Hollywood always exaggerates things

Much like the news.

ToxicTabasco's gear list:ToxicTabasco's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
bkjones88
bkjones88 Regular Member • Posts: 325

Not a ton you can do with mirror slap in a DSLR, which is probably what a good amount of those press photogs use.

What you're hearing is the actual mechanical functioning of the camera. It's not an artificial digital sound that can be turned on and off, though some bodies have "quieter" modes.

-- hide signature --
 bkjones88's gear list:bkjones88's gear list
Nikon D7500 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G Nikon D3400 +2 more
FingerPainter Senior Member • Posts: 7,611

kickoff3pm wrote:

When you set you shutter mode to silent, you are actually telling your camera not to use a physical shutter at all to control when the light hits the sensor. Instead, it just turns the sensor on and off. This has the advantages of being silent and avoiding shutter shock but the disadvantage of making blurry or wavy pictures in some circumstances.

Many of those reporters use cameras that not only use a physical shutter but also have a moving mirror that needs to get out of the way for a picture to be taken. Expensive pro equipment is less likely to be susceptible to shutter shock and the pros don't generally want to risk the downsides of using an electronic "shutter", so they continue to be a noisy bunch at press conferences.

threw the lens
threw the lens Contributing Member • Posts: 634

DSLRs have a 'quiet' mode that separates taking the picture from the return of the mirror to spread the sound over two phases and does the return a bit slower. It makes the sound less startling for those not used to it, but it's not really quiet. But the pros generally won't use it at a press conference because expressions can change over an instant and quiet shutter is too slow.

gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,613

kickoff3pm wrote:

The sound you are hearing is indicative of the photographers using DSLR cameras, your Fuji is a mirrorless and can be set to silent. Although some DSLR cameras can be "silent" this might be only available with "live view" so no using the viewfinder.

As an aside, if I were the one giving the press conference I would like all photographers to shoot only in silent mode. But I suspect that some luminaries actually get some gratifying "self-importance" feedback from the sound of those mirrors/shutters.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +8 more
DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 1,051

FingerPainter wrote:

kickoff3pm wrote:

When you set you shutter mode to silent, you are actually telling your camera not to use a physical shutter at all to control when the light hits the sensor. Instead, it just turns the sensor on and off. This has the advantages of being silent and avoiding shutter shock but the disadvantage of making blurry or wavy pictures in some circumstances.

Many of those reporters use cameras that not only use a physical shutter but also have a moving mirror that needs to get out of the way for a picture to be taken. Expensive pro equipment is less likely to be susceptible to shutter shock and the pros don't generally want to risk the downsides of using an electronic "shutter", so they continue to be a noisy bunch at press conferences.

There's also a quiet shutter mode. To quote someone from another forum:

"Quiet Shutter mode breaks down the click/clack of the shutter into more of a click.......clack sort of thing by allowing you to choose when the mirror moves (click the shutter-release button once to raise the mirror, release the shutter-release button to drop it back down). Personally I don't think there's really any LESS noise, technically speaking (despite the name), it's just spreading out the noise over a longer period of time. Quiet Shutter mode also disables the Auto-focus Confirmation "beep" (if you don't already have it turned off in the menu) so I guess there's that as well."

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more

gary0319 wrote:

As an aside, if I were the one giving the press conference I would like all photographers to shoot only in silent mode. But I suspect that some luminaries actually get some gratifying "self-importance" feedback from the sound of those mirrors/shutters.

Would you also like to buy them cameras with silent shutter mode to use at the conference? Or would you like to forbid the presensce of photographers using DSLRs?

Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,613

DeathArrow wrote:

gary0319 wrote:

Would you also like to buy them cameras with silent shutter mode to use at the conference? Or would you like to forbid the presensce of photographers using DSLRs?

Of course that would be impractical...…….at least for now. But I suspect in some venues that may be a requirement in the not to distant future.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +8 more
kickoff3pm
OP kickoff3pm Regular Member • Posts: 268

I don't own any of these as I said but to my ears the sound some of them make seems incredibly high for a small encased slap. I'm wondering rather than trying to reduced the impact so these cameras have options of the volume or type of sound generated by the shutter.
Acutely thinking about it that would be a funny thing to hack, replace the slap noise with another sound like a ringtone

-- hide signature --

Look forward to more great days in the future. We owe that much to those no longer able to share our great days !

kickoff3pm's gear list:kickoff3pm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Fujifilm X-T10 +15 more

gary0319 wrote:

DeathArrow wrote:

gary0319 wrote:

Of course that would be impractical...…….at least for now. But I suspect in some venues that may be a requirement in the not to distant future.

When 90% of photojournalists will have cameras with silent shutters, maybe.

bkjones88
bkjones88 Regular Member • Posts: 325

kickoff3pm wrote:

I don't own any of these as I said but to my ears the sound some of them make seems incredibly high for a small encased slap. I'm wondering rather than trying to reduced the impact so these cameras have options of the volume or type of sound generated by the shutter.
Acutely thinking about it that would be a funny thing to hack, replace the slap noise with another sound like a ringtone

But it's a purely mechanical, not digital, sound. You can't turn a dial to change the volume or flip a switch to make it sound like a rooster crowing or whatever else you want.

Edit: check out this video. It's pretty cool and will show you what is actually going on inside a DSLR in slow motion https://youtu.be/CmjeCchGRQo

-- hide signature --
 bkjones88's gear list:bkjones88's gear list
Nikon D7500 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G Nikon D3400 +2 more
lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 4,205

gary0319 wrote:

kickoff3pm wrote:

The sound you are hearing is indicative of the photographers using DSLR cameras, your Fuji is a mirrorless and can be set to silent. Although some DSLR cameras can be "silent" this might be only available with "live view" so no using the viewfinder.

DPR is so weird. They likely don’t care because it isn’t important.

Mika Y.
Mika Y. Senior Member • Posts: 1,087

gary0319 wrote:

kickoff3pm wrote:

I haven't ever been in a press conference, but it would be interesting to know if the sound levels heard in broadcast video from such events actually match what's perceived by the bystanders in such circumstances. Often the video recording seems to be done either within the group of photographers or near them, but sound level drops off quickly with distance.

Mika Y.'s gear list:Mika Y.'s gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads