the play of d-pad is same as before

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
James Bligh Senior Member • Posts: 2,354
the play of d-pad is same as before

Third shipment of GR3 is released in Korea yesterday or the day before yesterday. Today one user reports that there is still a play in d-pad. He says the play of d-pad is same as before and quality (he omitted the subjective but it is presumed he meant build quality by context.) is so so.

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=pentax_forum&no=408533

-- hide signature --

You really want you a pound of flesh, don't you?
-- Mallory to Miller in the movie 'The Guns of Navarone'

cayzi Contributing Member • Posts: 560
Re: the play of d-pad is same as before

This only confirms that a little play is there because it is as designed.

But obviously some copies have to big play where Ricoh offered fix.

But i think what we are seeing on youtube it is normal and as designed.

Vitriol Forum Member • Posts: 53

I'm curious to know how the person determined which production batch this GR3 is from.

Vitriol's gear list:Vitriol's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Leica M9 +7 more
illd3fined Regular Member • Posts: 445

Vitriol wrote:

I'm curious to know how the person determined which production batch this GR3 is from.

returned mine for 2nd (US) batch and the play is now minimal and clearly as intended.

since Ricoh knew the exact serial ranges, one manufacturing machine must've been off by a fraction of a mm. Its really that minor and only noticeable to some users (and people who desperately find any reason to convince themselves not to upgrade)

-- hide signature --
 illd3fined's gear list:illd3fined's gear list
Sony RX100 II Ricoh GR III Apple iPhone XS

illd3fined wrote:

returned mine for 2nd (US) batch and the play is now minimal and clearly as intended.

Any chance to show us how this look like?

thx

cayzi wrote:

illd3fined wrote:

Any chance to show us how this look like?

thx

can't do a comparison as I don't have the first one anymore, but I did try them side by side at the camera store and felt the difference. it was a tiny difference mind you, and purely cosmetic but it did feel a little better to me.

mine is at the very beginning of the 2nd range and it moves just like this at the 1:55 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Q1XBxpg_E

-- hide signature --

illd3fined wrote:

can't do a comparison as I don't have the first one anymore, but I did try them side by side at the camera store and felt the difference. it was a tiny difference mind you, and purely cosmetic but it did feel a little better to me.

mine is at the very beginning of the 2nd range and it moves just like this at the 1:55 mark:

My copy is from affected serial range and it moves like you posted in your video reference.

Now i wondering how other serials compare like yours from serials number which should be ok.

Still would be fun to see your video how it moves

It looks like not every camera in serial range have same issue.

ruggiex New Member • Posts: 7

cayzi wrote:

illd3fined wrote:

My copy is from affected serial range and it moves like you posted in your video reference.

Now i wondering how other serials compare like yours from serials number which should be ok.

My first affected unit would rotate up to like 10 degrees. My replacement moves like 1 degree. Honestly I probably wouldn't really notice it even for the first unit if it wasn't for the internet since it doesn't affect the operation.

hwrd New Member • Posts: 8

returned my GR3 (0022)  that was giving me issues (heat/battery) for a new one (0023).  These are just initial observations but I can say my new GR3 has a less wobbly D-pad although it never bothered me before.  The ring cap seems more secure whereas the previous one would come off easily.

cayzi wrote:

illd3fined wrote:

too much work for something so trivial. Ricoh was so specific about the ranges, it probably recognized the machine on the assembly line that might’ve drifted off-spec

-- hide signature --

and the lens? Off centered lens topics also fixed or lens is still offcenteted.?

cayzi wrote:

and the lens? Off centered lens topics also fixed or lens is still offcenteted.?

my second one is still a liittle off-centered but I really had to look hard. speaking of looking, I fear your priorities may be different than Ricoh’s. this camera begs to be used, not looked at

-- hide signature --

cayzi wrote:

Like this?

https://youtu.be/kOpgXs-pIvs

yep pretty much just like that. now go enjoy this awesome camera

-- hide signature --

illd3fined wrote:

cayzi wrote:

Like this?

https://youtu.be/kOpgXs-pIvs

yep pretty much just like that. now go enjoy this awesome camera

Yes , sir.

i am asking this because i have serial number which MAY be affected. But looking this videos i have the same and i really doubt new versions are any better.

And i think what Ricoh published is related to devices which may have bigger movement than my and shown in video.

and if you say your new copy is like that then maybe i am not willing to replace it (waiting for new shippment) and really start using it.

have a nice day!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads