What are the best Value Canon lenses?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 14,176
Re: What are the best Value Canon lenses?

The 135L, IMO.

mikebinok
mikebinok Regular Member • Posts: 424

I don’t shoot EF-S anymore, but I agree with the favorable comments about the 55-250! The comments about the 50/1.8 are also spot on. The non-IS version of the 70-200/4 was also an amazing value for many years. L zoom quality for less than $600 (not sure if that’s still true!).

if you use it a lot, even an expensive lens can be a great value. I used the original version of the 100-400L for fifteen years. It suffered enormous abuse but kept on performing, and I probably got more great shots per dollar from that lens than any other I will ever own. I also used my original version 300/2.8 IS for a long time, and am still using it, but with the high cost it didn’t provide quite as good bang per buck. Of course the value for each person will be much more individual and subjective in this second group.

mikebinok's gear list:mikebinok's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 +13 more
Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,367

My best value lens: the 200mm f2.8L. I think it's the cheapest L lens, or at least it was when I bought one on sale on a whim. It's very much like a longer slower 135mm f2.

I've seen many photographers shoot their heavy expensive 70-200mm f2.8 lens at 200mm the whole time. I gave up on that and starting using the 200mm f2.8 instead.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 4,356

Scott Larson wrote:

My best value lens: the 200mm f2.8L. I think it's the cheapest L lens, or at least it was when I bought one on sale on a whim. It's very much like a longer slower 135mm f2.

I've seen many photographers shoot their heavy expensive 70-200mm f2.8 lens at 200mm the whole time. I gave up on that and starting using the 200mm f2.8 instead.

I have been wrestling with idea of getting a 200 f/2.8. I recently shot a school event with my 135 f/2 and the amount I needed to crop (admittedly from a less-than optimal shooting location) suggested 200mm. I find the 135 f/2 focuses quickly and accurately. How does the 200 f/2.8 compare?

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot S20 Canon EOS 80D +7 more
Lost99999 Regular Member • Posts: 219

Hi - got the 200/f2.8 as well. Also because its nice and compact and black. Lens is also very sharp - no problem to crop it a bit further.

Focus is very fast and accurate on both 6dii and RP.

I do not have the 135 to compare with.

Lost99999's gear list:Lost99999's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
itsDing
itsDing Senior Member • Posts: 2,305

Canon 28-70mm f3.5-4.5 is a cracking used lens. Read the review in Optical Limits

Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,367

Dave wrote:

I find the 135 f/2 focuses quickly and accurately. How does the 200 f/2.8 compare?

No difference. I use both these lenses shooting volleyball which will test the speed of your autofocus.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
jdcarlson Junior Member • Posts: 29

I posted a similar comment on another forum earlier - please forgive the duplication.

To me the best "bank for the buck" is the old 80-200 2.8L (aka "Magic Drainpipe") if you can find one. I had one with my first DSLR (2003 10D) and optically it was first rate. It did not have IS, and some people said it was a little slow on the focus, but those never gave me any problem.

Plus - it was black - so I did not attract any attention when I used it (compared to the 70-200 newer white zooms).

I wish I still had it.

If you can find one on the used market in decent shape it will do a good job for you!

Thanks,

Jim

jdcarlson's gear list:jdcarlson's gear list
Canon PowerShot S1 IS +6 more
haroldson5 Junior Member • Posts: 47

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 17-55 2.8 for crop. There has been a huge drop in price on this lens. It's now only $550. That's half of what it used to be.

Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,881

haroldson5 wrote:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 17-55 2.8 for crop. There has been a huge drop in price on this lens. It's now only $550. That's half of what it used to be.

I felt like that lens was overpriced to begin with. It's certainly a decent lens, and the standout is, of course, the brighter f2.8 aperture. But it's not exceptional, really, in any other way. Canon should have updated to an STM version years ago, and the lack of that feature in a DPAF world seems a bit limiting. And even Sigma's OS version is about $275 these days, making it an attractive alternative.

I sold my copy years ago. Paired it very happily with a 7DII. But I was nailing focus more successfully with a 5DIII and an older 28-70/2.8 L. And with DPAF, I was starting to do more video. So it made sense to let it go. As I said, it's a good lens. But "bang for the buck" is one thing in particular I always thought underwhelming about this lens.

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
EOS GUY
EOS GUY Contributing Member • Posts: 672

50mm STM.  Amazing colour, contrast and sharp as heck!  And tiny and affordable.

24mm F2.8 STM pancake,  Tiny, great colour and contrast and sharp as heck and amazing value.  Slightly slower AF than the 50mm but not at all bad.

Wider - the 11-22 is excellent in good light and from 18mm onwards has very low distortion compared to kit zooms.  Again, great price.

I never shoot longer than 24mm anymore really so hard to say about longer lenses.

I've never owned it but if 50mm is too long (it is for my tastes) then the 40mm F2.8 pancake is also a fantastic lens.

Canon really know how to spoil their APS-C shooters!

With the 11-22, 24mm f2.8 and 40mm or 50mm you have WA to short tele covered at the cost of say one Fuji (I love Fuji so not a dig) prime and still great performance!

Long live Canon lenses!

(I'm still waiting for an 18mm F2/ f2.8 but it will never happen so I'd use the 11-22 at 18mm as way less distortion at 18mm than 18-55mm lenses.)

-- hide signature --

The earth laughs in flowers.
-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Above all else, peacefulness, love and harmony.
- Noel Shoestring

Dave

EOS GUY wrote:

(I'm still waiting for an 18mm F2/ f2.8 but it will never happen so I'd use the 11-22 at 18mm as way less distortion at 18mm than 18-55mm lenses.)

Did you see this?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4381489#forum-post-62518005

Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot S20 Canon EOS 80D +7 more
EOS GUY
EOS GUY Contributing Member • Posts: 672

Dave wrote:

EOS GUY wrote:

Did you see this?

The 16 and17 1.8's would be quite large.  Larger than i tend to use

-- hide signature --

The earth laughs in flowers.
-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Above all else, peacefulness, love and harmony.
- Noel Shoestring

J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 14,176

EOS GUY wrote:

Dave wrote:

EOS GUY wrote:

Did you see this?

The 16 and17 1.8's would be quite large. Larger than i tend to use

I do not think that any of them will see the light of the day.

Dave
Re: What are the best Value Canon Lenses?

J A C S wrote:

EOS GUY wrote:

Dave wrote:

EOS GUY wrote:

Did you see this?

The 16 and17 1.8's would be quite large. Larger than i tend to use

I do not think that any of them will see the light of the day.

Probably right. If one did, however, I'd like it to be the 14mm f/1.8.

MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 13,834

the stm's to have

1)  55-250 stm

2) 18-55 stm (the older one with f3.5)

3) 10-18 stm

4)  24 stm ( this one is not IS but light weight)

Canon has good value in the 100L and the 35 f2 IS

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads