What are the best Value Canon lenses?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Johnlarry New Member • Posts: 9
What are the best Value Canon lenses?

I've had a few threads on your favourite lenses and canon's best lenses, - but what about the best value lenses?

Obviously top of the pile is the 50mm f1.8 - a staple of anyone getting into primes. I personally love the 85mm f1.8 - just got it and it's a beautiful portrait lens I got it dirt cheap used.

What are canon's other best value lenses?

Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 6,164
Off topic

This thread belongs in one of the Canon forums.

Bryan
Bryan Senior Member • Posts: 2,383
Re: Off topic

What like the Canon SLR Lens talk forum

-- hide signature --

Bryan
Box-Brownie and other stuff.
Still looking for a digital back for my Box Brownie.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bryang9/

Bryan's gear list:Bryan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Sony RX10 IV DxO Optics Pro Elite Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Apple iPhone XS Max +3 more
Graham Meale
Graham Meale Senior Member • Posts: 2,741
Re: What are the best Value Canon lenses?

Agree re the nifty fifty. The 16-35 f/4 L would have to be a contender.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
gium Senior Member • Posts: 1,210

I agree with the lenses you mentioned.

New:
EF-M 11-22 IS is fantastic value.
Second hand:
EF 70-300/3.5-5.6 IS USM mk1
EF 24-105/4 L IS USM mk1
EF 24-85/3.5-4.5 USM

gium's gear list:gium's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +8 more
Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 4,350

How about the pancakes?

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon PowerShot S20 Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 80D +7 more
Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,015

For the APS-C bodies:

• EF-S 10-18 f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
  • EF-S 24 f/2.8 STM
  • EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM
-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 6,164
Re: Off topic

Bryan wrote:

What like the Canon SLR Lens talk forum

Yes, exactly where it now resides!

Thank you to the Mod who moved it.

Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,880
These. And why.

I am interpreting "best value" as meaning "best bang for the buck". That is, a broad low cost/high-performance ratio. With that criterion in mind, I am singling out several EF-S lenses for their extraordinary performance/cost ratio.

The Canon 55-250 EFS IS STM costs less than $300 new and about half that for grey/international/refurbs. This thing is terrific. It is remarkably small for such a long telephoto; the 18-135 STM exceeds it in both diameter and weight. It is equipped with both stabilization and Canon's fast and quiet stepping-motor (STM) design. Because of its small size and weight, it focuses blazing fast. I don't do a lot of sports, but I gave up using a 1DIV with a 100-400 L instead for a 7DII and 55-250/STM. It also pairs beautifully with the 70D. Optical quality is superb; I could nit-pick, but when a lens at this price (I bought mine on a Black Friday direct from Canon as a refurb for just $109) gives you this crazy level of performance, consider me pleased and amazed.

The Canon 10-18 EFS IS STM is another lens worthy of similar praise. Again, it's incredible what comes out of something so small, lightweight, and cheap.

The Canon 18-135 EFS IS STM sits in the same class of lenses, but its higher cost dissuades me from including it in the "best value" category here. That said, the focal range is enormous -- roughly 28-215 full-frame equivalent -- so the value could be there for someone wanting such a broad range in a single package.

The 18-55 "kit lens" is also surprisingly good insofar as optical performance and speed (especially with DPAF cameras), but I'll exclude it here because 1) it is the "kit" lens included with most of the APS-C cameras, and 2) it is thoroughly unspectacular in virtually every other way (limited focal range, small max apertures, etc). It does get kudos, however, for being the very cheapest of all of the EFS zooms.

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
Dale Garman Contributing Member • Posts: 933

The 35 f2 is another great lenses that is no L but has IQ similar.  Build is not quite up to L, but it is one of my favorite lenses.  Smaller, lighter, cheaper, and very fast compared to the various zooms.

Dale Garman's gear list:Dale Garman's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +9 more
EduPortas Regular Member • Posts: 452

EF 100mm F2 USM

EF 85mm F1.8 USM

Both are fantastic bokeh monsters for a very reasonable price. For portraiture on a budget they are hard to beat, regardless of brand or sensor size.

I prefer the 100mm option because of its superior build quality. You'll notice that when you hold them and try to manually focus. In that regard, the 100mm is decidedly better built.

You can also get them used for an even better deal.

timbazi
timbazi Regular Member • Posts: 128

Lemming51 wrote:

For the APS-C bodies:

• EF-S 10-18 f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
  • EF-S 24 f/2.8 STM
  • EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM

Dunno about the 10-18 but those 24 and 55-250 are amazing for the price

-- hide signature --

The exposure I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math.

timbazi's gear list:timbazi's gear list
Nikon D40 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EOS 1200D Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 +7 more
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,176

Johnlarry wrote:

I've had a few threads on your favourite lenses and canon's best lenses, - but what about the best value lenses?

Obviously top of the pile is the 50mm f1.8 - a staple of anyone getting into primes. I personally love the 85mm f1.8 - just got it and it's a beautiful portrait lens I got it dirt cheap used.

What are canon's other best value lenses?

Well, I agree they're cheap. I own them and never use them, however.

The best value useful lens (for me) is the 16-35 f/4L IS. Another great value is a 100mm macro and/or a 70-200. No, not cheap, but incredibly useful for real world photography.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
richardperson
richardperson Regular Member • Posts: 219

I agree on the 85mm f/1.8 and would add the 35mm f/2.  I have recommended the 85mm to several people and it has transformed their sports/portrait work.

richardperson's gear list:richardperson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM +10 more
FooHead Regular Member • Posts: 361

richardperson wrote:

I agree on the 85mm f/1.8 and would add the 35mm f/2. I have recommended the 85mm to several people and it has transformed their sports/portrait work.

+1 on the 35mm f2.

For me the 24mm stm never gets used. IQ is the same as my 18-135 stm, and just a bit faster. Ya, its nice and small but.......

I never use mine.

FooHead's gear list:FooHead's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Macro guy
Macro guy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,990

Here's my pick:

• 85 1.8/100 f2
  • 100 f2.8 macro USM (non L) version
  • 24mm f2.8
  • 70-200mm f4L
  • 35mm f2
  • 200mm f2.8L
  • 50mm f2.5 macro
  • 300mm f4L
 Macro guy's gear list:Macro guy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +5 more
Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,880

hotdog321 wrote:

Obviously top of the pile is the 50mm f1.8 - a staple of anyone getting into primes. I personally love the 85mm f1.8 - just got it and it's a beautiful portrait lens I got it dirt cheap used.

My first EOS EF lenses were a trio of mid-range primes: 28/1.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.8. It's a nice trio, with a decent "standard" focal range, reasonably bright maximum apertures, reasonable cost, and a perfectly manageable size and weight. With good copies across the trio, it was a nice set.

The problem for me was, however, that I would shortly also get an EF 28-70/2.8 L. I heard it often proclaimed to be like a "bag of primes". I was fortunate to get an excellent copy the first time, and it did, indeed, often cause the primes to remain in their bags.

It's been some years since I last made any major lens purchases (a 55-250 EFS STM refurb for $109 or an 18-135 STM IS from Craigslist for $180 doesn't earn the "major" label). But practically every project I do now has some video, and the old USM lenses -- even the L stuff -- just doesn't cut it these days. STM is fast and invisible on EFS systems, and I'm getting by with APS-C bodies for that kind of stuff right now. I suspect that when I am ready to invest in some full-frame lenses for video, I'll probably be looking the R system, something I'm not thrilled to do, but which may actually be more economical in the long run.

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,176

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

hotdog321 wrote:

My first EOS EF lenses were a trio of mid-range primes: 28/1.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.8. It's a nice trio, with a decent "standard" focal range, reasonably bright maximum apertures, reasonable cost, and a perfectly manageable size and weight. With good copies across the trio, it was a nice set.

The problem for me was, however, that I would shortly also get an EF 28-70/2.8 L. I heard it often proclaimed to be like a "bag of primes". I was fortunate to get an excellent copy the first time, and it did, indeed, often cause the primes to remain in their bags.

It's been some years since I last made any major lens purchases (a 55-250 EFS STM refurb for $109 or an 18-135 STM IS from Craigslist for $180 doesn't earn the "major" label). But practically every project I do now has some video, and the old USM lenses -- even the L stuff -- just doesn't cut it these days. STM is fast and invisible on EFS systems, and I'm getting by with APS-C bodies for that kind of stuff right now. I suspect that when I am ready to invest in some full-frame lenses for video, I'll probably be looking the R system, something I'm not thrilled to do, but which may actually be more economical in the long run.

Great glass--that you need--is always worth owning; it lasts for decades and helps generate great photos. Cheap glass works in the short term, but generally gets shoved into a closet (or sold) later on.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Don Lacy
Don Lacy Senior Member • Posts: 1,959

For what I shoot the 500 f/4 V1 IS had going on ten years now and it just allows me to get amazing images which is priceless to me. Followed closely by the 16-35 f/4 for the same reasons. I guess it really depends on what you value.

Don Lacy's gear list:Don Lacy's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M100 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +11 more
Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,015
P.S. 55-250 samples

Had a red tailed hawk create some mayhem in my backyard Tuesday.  Good opportunity to show why I love my EF-S 55-250.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads