Sebastian Salgado Portrait

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Student of Light New Member • Posts: 24
Sebastian Salgado Portrait

I saw Genesis recently and there was a beautiful portrait of some "primitive" tribe against a black background. I understand how one can get a black background with flash by just severly underexposing ambient light. But what intrigued me was that they were also standing on "blackness" but the feet were normally lit. How do you do that? Do you need a very dark sweep? Or was that just some Photoshop sorcery?

Thank you for taking your time.

ANSWER:
DJ Photo Regular Member • Posts: 325
Re: Sebastian Salgado Portrait

This image?

no sorcery

DJ Photo's gear list:DJ Photo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix AW100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +26 more

The image is slightly exposure compensated.

Normal exposure looks more like this.

Here is a BTS shot for you also

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix AW100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +26 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
OP Student of Light New Member • Posts: 24

Exactly. How did you find it by my vague description. So how do you do that? Do you use a very dark sweep?

Simple. Take the second image I gave you. Drag any photo editor

2 second edit/adjustment

slider to reduce exposure.

Thank you a lot  for that great answer. I was kinda hoping he was able to do such a shot with the inverse square law because it would have been more "authentic" I guess.

While we' re at it two or three of his prints had this real 3D pop, they were like jumping directly at you, but only from a certain distance ( a bit further away).  All of them were larger prints and had lots of contrast. One of them was in a forest and a man climbing a tree. That was really impressing. Is this a special type of printing or was it just the result of the great viewing distance and the high contrast image?

It was like the image was carved into the exhibition wall or something.

Thank you again for taking your time for such a thorough answer.

Possibly this shot

Good presentation would include ALL of that and print attributes (print paper print process print exposure print contrast)

A combination of ALL of, composition, negative, darkroom AND print

Ok thank you again for taking your time.

What do you think of Salgado's landscapes? I think they are a bit too busy at times or show too much texture. Best of Genesis was still his reportage photographs for me.

Dan Marchant Veteran Member • Posts: 3,075

Student of Light wrote:

Thank you a lot for that great answer. I was kinda hoping he was able to do such a shot with the inverse square law because it would have been more "authentic" I guess.

Kinda hard to under expose one item and properly expose another item using the inverse square law when both items (the feet and the sheet they are standing on) are the same distance from the light. By it's very definition the same amount of light would arrive at both.
The only way to do it in camera would be to have a more perfectly black material to stand on so that it reflected back less light.

-- hide signature --

Dan
-
f/2.8 is a smaller number than f/22 in the same way that 100 is a smaller number than 20.
Street Photography danmarchant.com street photography
Street Photos Flickr street album
Instagram (mostly street stuff) dan_marchant
Instagram (sports stuff) sporting852

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more

Yeah if I think about it is. Unless you make them stand on a invisible thing and the ground is a lot deeper. Haha but this is even more fake.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads