PenF ZD50f2 Flowers...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
OaklandWoody Veteran Member • Posts: 6,341
PenF ZD50f2 Flowers...

The other day someone asked about MFT lens for flowers and bugs. This old gem from my FT days has always had an appeal to me. Sure it is slow to focus, and when it misses has to cycle through the full range, but when it hits the results can be magical. I actually find it easier to use on my PenF than is was on my old FT bodies (E500, E620).Spring is in full swing, and the yard is calling me. (The neighbors are used to see me lying on the sidewalk as they walk by)

-- hide signature --
 OaklandWoody's gear list:OaklandWoody's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Paul Auclair Veteran Member • Posts: 5,265
Re: PenF ZD50f2 Flowers...

very nice color, details, and smooth OoF.

leaving neighbors to wonder...worth it.

-- hide signature --

as always,
thank you fellow DPR members for your kind words and encouragement.

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 38,603
4/3rd lenses are almost all ..

pretty good in micro contrast, I guess having to do with tele centricity that you gain back with the adapter on your mft body.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

magnesus3 Regular Member • Posts: 334

Sure it is slow to focus, and when it misses has to cycle through the full range, but when it hits the results can be magical.

Why not use manual focus then? For macro it is easy and PenF has so many helpful functions for MF... I use my legacy lens almost only in MF mode using magnify.

OP OaklandWoody Veteran Member • Posts: 6,341

magnesus3 wrote:

Sure it is slow to focus, and when it misses has to cycle through the full range, but when it hits the results can be magical.

Why not use manual focus then? For macro it is easy and PenF has so many helpful functions for MF... I use my legacy lens almost only in MF mode using magnify.

I am in the habit of starting with autofocus, and then racking the lens to get what I want. I use the focus peaking feature to help out.

-- hide signature --
Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Veteran Member • Posts: 9,622

OaklandWoody wrote:

The other day someone asked about MFT lens for flowers and bugs. This old gem from my FT days has always had an appeal to me. Sure it is slow to focus, and when it misses has to cycle through the full range, but when it hits the results can be magical. I actually find it easier to use on my PenF than is was on my old FT bodies (E500, E620).Spring is in full swing, and the yard is calling me. (The neighbors are used to see me lying on the sidewalk as they walk by)

nice, it works a treat on my EM-1 mk2 and focus is very positive, even when used with the 1.4XTC (70mm f2.8 macro, not bad ) maybe the PDAF sensor helps?  My copy only needed -2 focus adjustment too. One of my favourite macro lenses (along with my sigma 150 f2.8) both through the mmf-3 adapter

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro
Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Veteran Member • Posts: 9,622

Paul Auclair wrote:

very nice color, details, and smooth OoF.

leaving neighbors to wonder...worth it.

in the UK this is available, used, for around £240 with another £150 +/- for the mmf-3 (around the same price also got me my sigma 150 f2.8 m4/3rds)

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro
Eric Nepean
Eric Nepean Veteran Member • Posts: 4,249

Nice Images.

I just got my PEN-F, I had not realised that it would work with my ZD 50mm F2

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Eric

Eric Nepean
Eric Nepean Veteran Member • Posts: 4,249
Re: 4/3rd lenses are almost all ..

Raist3d wrote:

pretty good in micro contrast, I guess having to do with tele centricity that you gain back with the adapter on your mft body.

The adapters from four thirds to M43 don't have any glass in them - purely mechanical and electrical.

Consequently optical properties like tele centricity won't change.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Eric

Eric Nepean wrote:

Nice Images.

Thanks

I just got my PEN-F, I had not realised that it would work with my ZD 50mm F2

I've had this lens for a long time, I loved it on my E500 and E620, but never got along very well with it on my wife's P-EM2. Now on the PenF it is the best of all worlds.

-- hide signature --
hobo Contributing Member • Posts: 660

Thanks for sharing! Very well done!

Sometimes I use my 14-54/E-M5, now will try with 50F2. Never did.

hobo's gear list:hobo's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
R Liewenberger Regular Member • Posts: 198

OaklandWoody wrote:

Feel free to tear me apart
---cheers
woody

No need to tear you apart, Woody, beautiful shots, very good! Not that brutal biting m4/3 sharpness all over, but an aesthetically nicely balanced mix of sharp and blurry elements!

Liewenberger

RobPNth Contributing Member • Posts: 502

Beautiful! I still have that lens too.

-- hide signature --
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 38,603
Re: 4/3rd lenses are almost all ..

Eric Nepean wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

The adapters from four thirds to M43 don't have any glass in them - purely mechanical and electrical.

Consequently optical properties like tele centricity won't change.

the reason I said you gain back telecentricity is because the distance you put back to the sensor combined with the old 4/3 lens is telecentricity you gain back over m43 lenses (most)

televentricity as part of a requirement for the standard was sacrificed going 4/3 to m43 to make lenses smaller, reduce cost

its in this context i say “you gain it” back   And yes no glass in the adapter

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Eric

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

hobo wrote:

Thanks for sharing! Very well done!

Sometimes I use my 14-54/E-M5, now will try with 50F2. Never did.

I'll have to head out sometime with my other old fave from that stable the 11-22.  I only have the trio of MFT 1.8 primes, and I want to eventually add the 12-40. I love my little compact bag that I can take practically anywhere and the 11-22 just weighs it down (so it never comes out)

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads