E-M1X and Panasonic-Leica 100-400mm Images

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,662
E-M1X and Panasonic-Leica 100-400mm Images

After waffling back & forth about this lens, and using a combination of the 40-150mm f2.8, with and without the 1.4X TC and 300mm f4 as companions to the 12-100 but still wanting more reach, I finally caved yesterday morning, drove over to Competitive Camera, who happened to have a copy of the Panasonic -Leica in stock, tried it out on my E-M1X and walked out of the store with it.

The whole end-game was having as "complete" a system as I can comfortably carry in my most comfortable bag to tote, the Think Tank Turnstyle 20, Version 2. That my third lens is the 7-14mm f2.8 creates the multi-lens for tele shooting conundrum; do I just carry the 40-150mm f2.8, with the TC in the accessory area, or the 12-100mm f4 and 300mm f4 (which BTW does fit and carry great in the Turnstyle bag), opting to get as "long" as 150mm by shooting the 12-100 at 100mm and doing a 50% crop.

One things for sure, having seen images of the upcoming Olympus 150-400mm f4.5 next to the Panasonic-Leica, that's going to be one monster of a lens, never mind what the cost is going to be. The 100-400 PL fits in the Turnstyle 20 along with the 12-100mm f4 and 7-14mm f2.8 perfectly. This morning I did my 9+ mile hike around White Rock Lake and then 2+hours at the Arboretum with the E-M1X and 3-lens filled Turnstyle 20 in tow and it was great.

Bottom line here....the convenience of a high-quality 100-400mm zoom, for me, trumps the outstanding, but limited "range" of the 300mm f4. I even packed the two Kenko extension tubes and gave them a spin with the E-M1X and 100-400 and, as I figured, it worked great to get in closer than the closest focus distance possible using just the lens.

About the mechanics, and I believe I've read every possible comment about how this lens works/doesn't work on some Olympus bodies. Hell, the Panasonic rear lens cap was/is even stiff coming off the back mount. The tolerances are quite tight, but the lens does, smoothly mount on and off both my E-M1X and E-M1 Mark II bodies. There's certainly not going to be any water intrusion at the body/lens connection. The zoom ring, with the zoom lock fulled released, is fine. It is not as buttery smooth and the 12-100 f4 or 40-150mm f2.8 M. Zuikos, but I like it. I also like the screw-attached hood extension, when I attached and now the lens can sit in the bag, face down with no front cap on as one less action when changing lenses.

Swapping between the Panny 100-400 and the 12-100mm f4 M. Zuiko was interesting. I do not have my camera set to lens IS priority since I utilize the dual IS of the 12-100, Stabilization is set to Auto, but as I swapped between the 12-100 and 100-400 the camera turned in-camera IS off when the Panny lens was on, then reverted back to Auto IS when I re-mounted the 12-100. Neat. The one swap where I needed to take care and turn in-camera IS back on was when moving from the 100-400 to the 7-14mm f2.8 as the E-M1X did not turn in-camera IS back on when making that lens change.

What is going to take some extended use to get used to is, the different direction the Panasonic zoom lens ring works. I've used the original 12-35 and 35-100mm f2.8 Panasonic lenses as well as the 7-14mm f4 in the distant past with an E-M5 so it's not like it's a totally new experience for me, but it has been a while.

A few shots as I was testing the lens out on the walk around the lake this morning. I am no "birder", and have a lot of work that needs to be done on that part (birds in flight) of my photography. These were all captured raw and processed in Adobe Camera raw since the E-M1X is not yet supported by DXO in Photo Lab 2. I anticipate re-processing a lot of these files, especially higher ISO shots, in DXO and expect the results will be much better. This lens is a keeper. Couldn't be more pleased with it.

This guy, complete with meal in-hand, was quite far off. This is around a 35-40% crop of the 400mm image.

Used one of the Kenko tubes here.

Kenko tube utilized here to get closer than the lens could on its' own.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X +30 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
glassoholic
glassoholic Senior Member • Posts: 3,893
Re: E-M1X and Panasonic-Leica 100-400mm Images

Nice! Yes, there are a lot of good things to say about this lens, and portability is a major point.

-- hide signature --

M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me. Make the best you can of every day!

OP Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,662

Yeah, one I left off, the in-lens Mega OIS is just outstanding. At 400mm, the frame just freezes. I need to play with the in-camera E-M1X stabilization too since it is so good just to see how they compare, but the in-lens system just nails is really well.

-- hide signature --

Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X +30 more
richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,093

As a great fan of this lens, I'm interested in what others do with it.

Your flower photographs are very attractive -- I love this lens for flowers. The background separation is wonderful. Very nice framing.

Using tubes (or achromat, as I do) is a great tool to get closer with magnification. Nice work on those.

I see you want to re-edit the noisy ones at higher ISO, but curious why you chose those ISOs -- the egrets were stationary, as was the dandelion.

However, even the not so high ISO 500 (the man with the fishing pole) seems quite noisy. How did that occur?

I'm glad you like the lens. It's one of the treasures of the MFT lineup.

- Richard

-- hide signature --
 richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic FZ1000 Sony a7R II

richj20 wrote:

I see you want to re-edit the noisy ones at higher ISO, but curious why you chose those ISOs -- the egrets were stationary, as was the dandelion.

I historically just shoot in manual mode and select my own ISO, staying close to 200 most of the time, but today I decided to just set the camera to auto ISO and used either Program, shifting exposure as I wanted, or Aperture Priority. Just let the camera make that decision with a ceiling of 6400.

If I use again I'll most likely set the ceiling down to something more like 1600.

However, even the not so high ISO 500 (the man with the fishing pole) seems quite noisy. How did that occur?

Used both capture and (high) output sharpening in Adobe camera raw and left luminence noise filtering set to zero, so that was all on me.

I think my next bit of playing with this lens will be on the E-M1 Mark II, which is already supported in DXO Photo Lab II when using all of my lenses, including the PL 100-400.

-- hide signature --

AussiePhil Contributing Member • Posts: 503

One thing i've found after a couple of years with this lens now across EM1mk2 and now the EM1X is the raw files when using the PL seem/are "softer" than the files from the 40-150Pro or even the 12-100Pro. don't own the 300F4 but assume that its the same.

Not going to guess at the technical reasons I just know that the files from the PL100-400 will sharpen up really nicely and even full stretch 400mm images can/will end up tack sharp

Certainly on the mk2 the 100-400 lens OIS was the better choice generally and you can get stupidly low shutter speeds for longer focal lengths. Haven't yet compared Lens OIS v IBIS for the EM1X as i continue to be happy with the lens OIS after a few thousand dragon boat racing photos over the weekend with the combo.

Still hate the different zoom direction and my earlier in the life cycle copy has a stiff zoom ring

-- hide signature --

Cheers and best wishes
Phil
Galleries at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/byphilg/

gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,613

Gregm61 wrote:

Yeah, one I left off, the in-lens Mega OIS is just outstanding. At 400mm, the frame just freezes. I need to play with the in-camera E-M1X stabilization too since it is so good just to see how they compare, but the in-lens system just nails is really well.

I have used the PL100-400  on my E-M1 II since it came out and have come to these conclusions, at least with my copy.

I use the lens OIS since it gives me a stable view before having to half press, a boon to hand holding at the long end.

My copy is sharper if I back down a bit from 400mm (reads 364 in EVF)

At the long end f/7.1 is sharper than wide open.

I gave up using the “big” hood and just use the smaller built in hood. Easier to deploy and store, and have had no lens flare issues, even here in Florida.

I used it a lot for flower close ups with good success (nice flower pics you posted), but since getting my 12-100 f/4 and 40-150 f/2.8.

I think the 12-100 and the 40-150 are both a bit sharper than the 100-400. However, the 100-400 is sharper than the 40-150 + 1.4 TC. even at a longer focal lengths.

Anyway,  congrats  on a great addition to your kit.

Gary

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +8 more
glassoholic
glassoholic Senior Member • Posts: 3,893

gary0319 wrote:

Gregm61 wrote:

I have used the PL100-400 on my E-M1 II since it came out and have come to these conclusions, at least with my copy.

I use the lens OIS since it gives me a stable view before having to half press, a boon to hand holding at the long end.

My copy is sharper if I back down a bit from 400mm (reads 364 in EVF)

At the long end f/7.1 is sharper than wide open.

I gave up using the “big” hood and just use the smaller built in hood. Easier to deploy and store, and have had no lens flare issues, even here in Florida.

I used it a lot for flower close ups with good success (nice flower pics you posted), but since getting my 12-100 f/4 and 40-150 f/2.8.

I think the 12-100 and the 40-150 are both a bit sharper than the 100-400. However, the 100-400 is sharper than the 40-150 + 1.4 TC. even at a longer focal lengths.

Anyway, congrats on a great addition to your kit.

Gary

+1 spot on!

-- hide signature --

M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me. Make the best you can of every day!

DLGW Senior Member • Posts: 1,181
I've been using the 100-400 for a while now - totally agree

It's not a perfect lens - but the combination of size, cost, zoom range, and performance is fantastic.

The weather sealing is solid as well - used it a few times in pouring rain (shooting wave close ups during 'storm season') - and no issues at all.

The 'big' hood is just too much of a pain most of the time - but if I'm using it on a bright sunny day - say on safari - I think I'd bring it along.  To be honest though, it doesn't fit well in my bag along with the other stuff.

I ended up getting mine for a great price- $1700 Canadian dollar from Amazon.ca

Last time I checked that was the going rate for a used one up here.

DLGW's gear list:DLGW's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +6 more
gary0319

Gregm61 wrote:

richj20 wrote:

I historically just shoot in manual mode and select my own ISO, staying close to 200 most of the time, but today I decided to just set the camera to auto ISO and used either Program, shifting exposure as I wanted, or Aperture Priority. Just let the camera make that decision with a ceiling of 6400.

If I use again I'll most likely set the ceiling down to something more like 1600.

Used both capture and (high) output sharpening in Adobe camera raw and left luminence noise filtering set to zero, so that was all on me.

I think my next bit of playing with this lens will be on the E-M1 Mark II, which is already supported in DXO Photo Lab II when using all of my lenses, including the PL 100-400.

Just as an aside, I get much cleaner raw conversions from the Olympus supplied Workplace software than I get from Adobe Camera Raw conversions. I don't use Workplace for any adjustments, just open the .orf file and export as a 16 bit tiff for use in Lightroom and Photoshop. I know others prefer DXO.

Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +8 more
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,654
Re: I've been using the 100-400 for a while now - totally agree

DLGW wrote:

It's not a perfect lens - but the combination of size, cost, zoom range, and performance is fantastic.

The weather sealing is solid as well - used it a few times in pouring rain (shooting wave close ups during 'storm season') - and no issues at all.

The 'big' hood is just too much of a pain most of the time - but if I'm using it on a bright sunny day - say on safari - I think I'd bring it along. To be honest though, it doesn't fit well in my bag along with the other stuff.

That's a great price!  I paid CAD$2100 for mine at a local store last summer.  I think that was with a $100 discount, too.

gary0319

AussiePhil wrote:

One thing i've found after a couple of years with this lens now across EM1mk2 and now the EM1X is the raw files when using the PL seem/are "softer" than the files from the 40-150Pro or even the 12-100Pro. don't own the 300F4 but assume that its the same.

If you look at lenstip.com  you will find that the resolution of both the 40-150 and the 12-100 Olympus is greater (more line pairs/mm) than the 100-400. Add the the 1.4 TC to the 40-150 and the tables begin to turn in favor of the 100-400.

Not going to guess at the technical reasons I just know that the files from the PL100-400 will sharpen up really nicely and even full stretch 400mm images can/will end up tack sharp

Certainly on the mk2 the 100-400 lens OIS was the better choice generally and you can get stupidly low shutter speeds for longer focal lengths. Haven't yet compared Lens OIS v IBIS for the EM1X as i continue to be happy with the lens OIS after a few thousand dragon boat racing photos over the weekend with the combo.

Still hate the different zoom direction and my earlier in the life cycle copy has a stiff zoom ring

HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 3,943
Any metal shavings?

Gregm61 wrote:

After waffling back & forth about this lens, and using a combination of the 40-150mm f2.8, with and without the 1.4X TC and 300mm f4 as companions to the 12-100 but still wanting more reach, I finally caved yesterday morning, drove over to Competitive Camera, who happened to have a copy of the Panasonic -Leica in stock, tried it out on my E-M1X and walked out of the store with it.

The whole end-game was having as "complete" a system as I can comfortably carry in my most comfortable bag to tote, the Think Tank Turnstyle 20, Version 2. That my third lens is the 7-14mm f2.8 creates the multi-lens for tele shooting conundrum; do I just carry the 40-150mm f2.8, with the TC in the accessory area, or the 12-100mm f4 and 300mm f4 (which BTW does fit and carry great in the Turnstyle bag), opting to get as "long" as 150mm by shooting the 12-100 at 100mm and doing a 50% crop.

One things for sure, having seen images of the upcoming Olympus 150-400mm f4.5 next to the Panasonic-Leica, that's going to be one monster of a lens, never mind what the cost is going to be. The 100-400 PL fits in the Turnstyle 20 along with the 12-100mm f4 and 7-14mm f2.8 perfectly. This morning I did my 9+ mile hike around White Rock Lake and then 2+hours at the Arboretum with the E-M1X and 3-lens filled Turnstyle 20 in tow and it was great.

About the mechanics, and I believe I've read every possible comment about how this lens works/doesn't work on some Olympus bodies. Hell, the Panasonic rear lens cap was/is even stiff coming off the back mount. The tolerances are quite tight, but the lens does, smoothly mount on and off both my E-M1X and E-M1 Mark II bodies. There's certainly not going to be any water intrusion at the body/lens connection. The zoom ring, with the zoom lock fulled released, is fine. It is not as buttery smooth and the 12-100 f4 or 40-150mm f2.8 M. Zuikos, but I like it.

Did you check to make sure the 100-400 is not leaving metal shavings in the body? That was one of my concerns, whether this lens was future proof for Oly bodies.

Buying a lens that will fit in your bag? That's a new one. Now you have one less reason for BAS - bag acquisition syndrome.

Glad you're enjoying the lens and feel you can live with its quirks. That's what's important.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
Re: I've been using the 100-400 for a while now - totally agree

larsbc wrote:

DLGW wrote:

The 'big' hood is just too much of a pain most of the time - but if I'm using it on a bright sunny day - say on safari - I think I'd bring it along. To be honest though, it doesn't fit well in my bag along with the other stuff.

That's a great price! I paid CAD$2100 for mine at a local store last summer. I think that was with a $100 discount, too.

There‚Äôs a $200 discount right now here in the US, so the price was right at $1,600 before taxes. As I bought this one locally, that basically paid the sales tax that had to be added on.

-- hide signature --

Re: Any metal shavings?

HRC2016 wrote:

Gregm61 wrote:

About the mechanics, and I believe I've read every possible comment about how this lens works/doesn't work on some Olympus bodies. Hell, the Panasonic rear lens cap was/is even stiff coming off the back mount. The tolerances are quite tight, but the lens does, smoothly mount on and off both my E-M1X and E-M1 Mark II bodies. There's certainly not going to be any water intrusion at the body/lens connection. The zoom ring, with the zoom lock fulled released, is fine. It is not as buttery smooth and the 12-100 f4 or 40-150mm f2.8 M. Zuikos, but I like it.

Did you check to make sure the 100-400 is not leaving metal shavings in the body? That was one of my concerns, whether this lens was future proof for Oly bodies.

The mounting on my E-M1 Mark II and E-M1X is tighter than mounting any M. Zuiko, but very smooth. It’s definitely not leaving anything behind.

Buying a lens that will fit in your bag? That's a new one....

....and important. If I can’t carry the outfit comfortably, I would not carry it at all. The first full day I hiked with the new setup for over 10 miles so I’m good. I had no good option (lord knows I’ve tried enough) for comfortably carrying an outfit that included the 40-150mm f2.8 and 300mm f4. The 100-400 is the only higher-end practical solution that gets you that long.

Now you have one less reason for BAS - bag acquisition syndrome.

Horrible malady. I own as many bags as I have all bodies and lenses.

Glad you're enjoying the lens and feel you can live with its quirks. That's what's important.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

-- hide signature --

gary0319

Gregm61 wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

Gregm61 wrote:

The mounting on my E-M1 Mark II and E-M1X is tighter than mounting any M. Zuiko, but very smooth. It’s definitely not leaving anything behind.

Buying a lens that will fit in your bag? That's a new one....

....and important. If I can’t carry the outfit comfortably, I would not carry it at all. The first full day I hiked with the new setup for over 10 miles so I’m good. I had no good option (lord knows I’ve tried enough) for comfortably carrying an outfit that included the 40-150mm f2.8 and 300mm f4. The 100-400 is the only higher-end practical solution that gets you that long.

Now you have one less reason for BAS - bag acquisition syndrome.

Horrible malady. I own as many bags as I have all bodies and lenses.

One can never have too many bags......or lenses.

larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,654

HRC2016 wrote:

Buying a lens that will fit in your bag? That's a new one.

I think that, for some people, that makes a lot of sense.  I've mentioned this before but one reason I chose the Panasonic 35-100/2.8 for my "standard" short tele zoom instead of the 40-150/2.8 is due to the size differences.  The 35-100 is small enough and light enough that I can carry it in any of my camera bags without concern.  Meanwhile, I've seen many threads in this forum where people wonder if they should "bother" with bringing their 40-150 on their next vacation.  If I'm going to be paying a lot of money for a high quality lens that covers a frequently used focal length, I want to make sure I'll be willing to carry it a lot.

HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 3,943

Thanks for the report. I'm not questioning your purchasing decisions - whatever works best is right for you. I hope others have the same positive experience as you as it's good for m43.

Ten miles with this lens and that body? The last time I hiked that far I was using film, a Minolta SRT and one Vivitar lens. Good for you!

-- hide signature --

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads