Photos too dark D7200?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
gmoney9 New Member • Posts: 1
Photos too dark D7200?

Hi guys, I just got a D7200 and I noticed even in auto the images are too dark compared to what is being photographed. I've taken some sample pictures if anyone can help me?

Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 25,656
Meter

gmoney9 wrote:

Hi guys, I just got a D7200 and I noticed even in auto the images are too dark compared to what is being photographed. I've taken some sample pictures if anyone can help me?

In this case you are using matrix metering and it looks like the majority of the scene is near white...so the metering looks to be trying to make the "white" middle grey. Try switching to spot metering and meter the ring or go to manual metering

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

jeffnles1 Contributing Member • Posts: 890
Re: Meter

Mako2011 wrote:

gmoney9 wrote:

In this case you are using matrix metering and it looks like the majority of the scene is near white...so the metering looks to be trying to make the "white" middle grey. Try switching to spot metering and meter the ring or go to manual metering

Only thing I may add to Mako's remark would be to dial in about +.7 to +1 exposure compensation and see if it brightens it up.

Jeff

jeffnles1's gear list:jeffnles1's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +2 more
romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 4,042
Re: Photos too dark D7200?

Have you got more examples? The picture you have posted looks dark because of the light background and the camera has compensated accordingly.

Nikon cameras expose just to the left of centre and so your camera has exposed to make the background grey.

Show us a picture with broad light levels and then set your camera to the exposure you think is correct for you.

-- hide signature --

Please don't quote long posts, it just fills up the forum with repetitive information. Just replying to the poster or selectively quoting will make it all easier to read.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D5300 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,243

As others have suggested you need to do sample images in a variety of lighting conditions, backgrounds, etc.

This is also assuming that the camera didn't come to you with some exposure compensation set.

Have you used only one lens or multiple lenses?  I have found with my DSLRs that some body/lens combinations will expose too light and others might expose too dark.  I do some tests with each combination to determine if it likes to have some exposure compensation dialed in to start with.  Some of my combinations like up to 1.0 stops of EC.

morinor Contributing Member • Posts: 961

I do not think that it has to do with the light present. It is too dark to say that the meter is somehow confused. I think it is some setting that is not correct. Please try shooting on Auto mode in order to be sure that nothing manual has been set by accident.

morinor's gear list:morinor's gear list
Nikon D750 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +3 more
Mako2011
He did

morinor wrote:

I do not think that it has to do with the light present. It is too dark to say that the meter is somehow confused.

He used Matrix metering and if the AF point bias also gave less exposure prefrnce to the rings vs the background....then expect the subject to be underexposed and tend towards grey.

I think it is some setting that is not correct.

The EXIF points to no issue with the camera settings but he might check his color profile wasn't customized in terms of brightness (EXIF seems to say it still set to default though)

Please try shooting on Auto mode in order to be sure that nothing manual has been set by accident.

He did shoot the example in Auto exposure mode

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

morinor Contributing Member • Posts: 961
Re: He did

Mako2011 wrote:

morinor wrote:

I do not think that it has to do with the light present. It is too dark to say that the meter is somehow confused.

He used Matrix metering and if the AF point bias also gave less exposure prefrnce to the rings vs the background....then expect the subject to be underexposed and tend towards grey.

Yes I am aware what you describe and what you are think that it is the issue.

The EXIF points to no issue with the camera settings but he might check his color profile wasn't customized in terms of brightness (EXIF seems to say it still set to default though)

I wasn't able to open the file when I write the comment.

Please try shooting on Auto mode in order to be sure that nothing manual has been set by accident.

He has used indeed Pattern Mettering. Exif is saying that he has used Aperture Priority not Auto.

But I think it is not the metering alone as it is still too dark:

With +1 exposure

With +2 exposure

+2 exposure difference is quite big even for this situation. Even in snow which reflects more light it is needed +1 exposure at most. So I think it is not a wrong metering alone.

I think he should try both Auto with Matrix metering and then same setting with Spot metering and see the results.

morinor's gear list:morinor's gear list
Nikon D750 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +3 more
Mako2011
Good catch

morinor wrote:

I wasn't able to open the file when I write the comment.

He has used indeed Pattern Mettering.

Open in Nikon software and it reads Matrix. IN otheres it will read "Multi-segment". Both are the same terms as "Pattern Mettering"

Exif is saying that he has used Aperture Priority not Auto.

Good catch. He also used AF-A and AF-Area mode "auto"  and the Focus point FoV, regards AF point bias, for this shot was predominantly covering the background and a small portion of the top of the ring set.  In this case....Matrix likely would have set exposure for the background entirely....and why it ended up grey and dark.

I just mimicked his settings and shot a well lit white cabinet with small metal handle ...the result was a dark grey cabinet.  Same using Spot got me a white cabinet more well lit

But I think it is not the metering alone as it is still too dark:

With +1 exposure

With +2 exposure

+2 exposure difference is quite big even for this situation. Even in snow which reflects more light it is needed +1 exposure at most. So I think it is not a wrong metering alone.

Had he focused on the ring directly...in Matrix and AF-A that would have also shifted exposure vs what he got also.

I think he should try both Auto with Matrix metering and then same setting with Spot metering and see the results.

Yes...spot, in this case would be substantially different than what he got in Matrix.  Switching to AF-C and 9pt would also negate any AF point exposure  bias. Looks like he needed to set exposure manually or use Spot (focused on the ring) with a +.5 EC.

-- hide signature --

FingerPainter Senior Member • Posts: 7,611
Re: Meter

jeffnles1 wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

gmoney9 wrote:

Only thing I may add to Mako's remark would be to dial in about +.7 to +1 exposure compensation and see if it brightens it up.

Maybe a bit more than that.

Razor512
Razor512 Regular Member • Posts: 193

If doing macro or still life photography, the best bet is to shoot in full manual, the reason for this is that if you need to photograph multiple items, then you will be doing a ton of guesswork as if you rely on an auto mode, metering, and exposure comp, then you are essentially adding offsets to an unknown and changing initial value.

With a white background, even with spot metering,things will not be perfectly accurate.

If you are controlling the light, then it should not be hard to get or even print out a basic luminance test chart (doesn't need to be perfectly calibrated and accurate. and simply photograph it on your white background scene in order to get an idea of what a decent starting point in terms of manual exposure is, then when using that scene in the future, you know your starting point, and can adjust from there.

Razor512's gear list:Razor512's gear list
Nikon D5600
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads