European Tour - Part 1 - Amsterdam

Started 2 months ago | Photos
Martin Ocando
MOD Martin Ocando Veteran Member • Posts: 6,263
European Tour - Part 1 - Amsterdam

This is a small selection of our first hop into Europe. It was the best 15 days we've ever spent since our honeymoon 28 years ago.

Enjoy

Why ISO was so high in the first few frames? Well, I had it locked, and was so excited that I forgot to check my camera. 🤦🏻‍♂️

-- hide signature --

Martin
"One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it" - Galen Rowell

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +10 more
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 27,389
Aperture....

One of the things I find interesting in the travel photo's above is that almost everything is shot at f/5.6 or above (only one at f/3.5).  This is my experience too (except for indoor photography where a small fast prime usually works).

So why buy/ bring heavy fast zoom lenses for travel?

TEdolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +8 more
MEDISN
MEDISN Contributing Member • Posts: 750
Re: European Tour - Part 1 - Amsterdam

Looks like you had fun! I've always enjoyed Amsterdam except for the d*#n bicycles

Good thing you were there when the weather was nice. I was in town the week after you and it was cold/overcast/windy which really put a damper on photographic enthusiasm lol

I won't photobomb your thread but a few shots from my aimless wandering between work and play: Amsterdam Gallery

Martin Ocando
OP MOD Martin Ocando Veteran Member • Posts: 6,263
Re: Aperture....

tedolf wrote:

One of the things I find interesting in the travel photo's above is that almost everything is shot at f/5.6 or above (only one at f/3.5). This is my experience too (except for indoor photography where a small fast prime usually works).

TEdolph

Well, I didn't care too much about settings, so I used P mode most of the time, and lots of compensation when needed. The fast zooms come handy when things get darker particularly in museums.

I did go out with the 9-18mm one day, leaving the 12-40mm at the apartment, but missed it greatly when light conditions changed, so the 12-40mm was my main lens for 90% of the trip. Particularly useful was the Rokinon 7.5mm FE inside churches and museums. Check Part 2 for more on that.

BTW, the FE shot of the plaza is from Madame Tussaud's museum. It has a round window that faces Dam Square, so it was the perfect spot for a Fisheye.

-- hide signature --

Martin
"One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it" - Galen Rowell

Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +10 more
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 27,389

Martin Ocando wrote:

tedolf wrote:

One of the things I find interesting in the travel photo's above is that almost everything is shot at f/5.6 or above (only one at f/3.5). This is my experience too (except for indoor photography where a small fast prime usually works).

TEdolph

Well, I didn't care too much about settings, so I used P mode most of the time, and lots of compensation when needed. The fast zooms come handy when things get darker particularly in museums.

I did go out with the 9-18mm one day, leaving the 12-40mm at the apartment, but missed it greatly when light conditions changed, so the 12-40mm was my main lens for 90% of the trip. Particularly useful was the Rokinon 7.5mm FE inside churches and museums. Check Part 2 for more on that.

Will be looking forward to that.

BTW, the FE shot of the plaza is from Madame Tussaud's museum. It has a round window that faces Dam Square, so it was the perfect spot for a Fisheye.

Have you done any defishing of that lens with software?

TEdolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +8 more
Martin Ocando
OP MOD Martin Ocando Veteran Member • Posts: 6,263

tedolf wrote:

Martin Ocando wrote:

tedolf wrote:

TEdolph

Will be looking forward to that.

Have you done any defishing of that lens with software?

TEdolph

Oh yes, for this particular shot it was just slightly since I think it works the way it is. But for some museum and church ceilings, I've done extensive defishing, and the current version of Lightroom has a great new profile that works very well. Much better than previous iterations.
Previously you were fixed with 4 profiles and no way to tweak them, but now, you simply select the lens and use the sliders to adjust the amount of defishing and vignetting. Super useful.

-- hide signature --

Martin

kelstertx Veteran Member • Posts: 4,802

Martin Ocando wrote:

tedolf wrote:

TEdolph

That's something I've often wondered... in good light, the camera's P mode can use almost any aperture it wants, and compensate with the huge range of shutter speeds. Since the corrections are programmed into firmware for each lens, I would have thought that they'd include sharpness curves in the firmware too, so the camera would pick sharper apertures.

For the 12-40/2.8, it seems to peak at f4 for most focal lengths, and f5.6 at 40mm. I don't think it should ever be picking f7.1 unless there's a specific need based on depth of field.

Thoughts?

-Kelly

kelstertx's gear list:kelstertx's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +6 more
Paul Auclair Veteran Member • Posts: 5,295

I missed these the first time around.

great stuff, same as part. 2.

-- hide signature --

as always,
thank you fellow DPR members for your kind words and encouragement.

Smith-64 Regular Member • Posts: 287

Nice photos, brings back memories, good (the beautiful scenes) and bad (car broken into both times in Amsterdam).

A. C.

Smith-64's gear list:Smith-64's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +1 more
stateit Contributing Member • Posts: 816

No Dutch Angle shots?

stateit's gear list:stateit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads