Some Nature Shots

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
JasonS70 Regular Member • Posts: 460
Some Nature Shots

Hi all,

Time for some more photos taken with the M50 and 55-200mm. My wife is amazed that after 5 months with the camera I still have it, I don't have a strong track record sticking to one camera. I think I have found the one for me

Cheers

Jason

JasonS70's gear list:JasonS70's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM +1 more
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
VisionLight
VisionLight Veteran Member • Posts: 4,906
Re: Some Nature Shots

You wrote "Nature" and that immediately caught my attention. So thanks for sharing. Plus, I'm always interested in seeing results from the EF-M 50-200mm lens.

-- hide signature --

Visit my VisionLight website:
http://edwardmichaellach.zenfolio.com/
What's New:
http://edwardmichaellach.zenfolio.com/p833842176
Galleries by lens and camera:
http://edwardmichaellach.zenfolio.com/f551238473
Tutorials and Articles on Photography and Camera Reviews:
http://edwardmichaellach.zenfolio.com/blog
In Support of Our Local Nature Preserves and Education Centers:
http://edwardmichaellach.zenfolio.com/p691961732/slideshow#ha3e7b735

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8 Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 +8 more
Dan Hudson
Dan Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 1,094

Most impressive image quality including clarity. I wish I could get that kind of image sharpness with my M50 amd EF-M 22mm lens. Give me a hint.

Thanks

Dan

-- hide signature --

Christian Amateur Photographer
Choose life's involvements carefully with an eye toward eternity.

Dan Hudson's gear list:Dan Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Canon PowerShot SX120 IS Canon EOS M50
OP JasonS70 Regular Member • Posts: 460

Dan Hudson wrote:

Most impressive image quality including clarity. I wish I could get that kind of image sharpness with my M50 amd EF-M 22mm lens. Give me a hint.

Thanks

Dan

Thanks Dan. I do a fair bit of work in post using Capture One and PS, having a good solid base image to start with does help. Processing images is the other half of my enjoyment of photo taking, I may be in the minority with that but I really do enjoy working on photos

Cheers

Jason

Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM +1 more
dickcampbell Contributing Member • Posts: 881

Nice pictures, I just got my M50 with the kit lens (15 to 45 mm) and was wondering whether to get the 55 to 200 as tele/zoom lens or the 18 to 150 mm. Your photos put the 55 to 200 in a very positive light.

dickcampbell wrote:

Nice pictures, I just got my M50 with the kit lens (15 to 45 mm) and was wondering whether to get the 55 to 200 as tele/zoom lens or the 18 to 150 mm. Your photos put the 55 to 200 in a very positive light.

Yes I am very happy with it, everything I shoot with it comes out very nicely. Not so happy with the 15-45mm, it seems to lack resolving power. Saving my pennies for the 22mm. Here are a couple of landscape type shot taken with the 55-200mm just for a bit more reference, with some b&w conversions

Cheers

Jason

Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 6,134
Great Pics!

JasonS70 wrote:

Hi all,

Time for some more photos taken with the M50 and 55-200mm. My wife is amazed that after 5 months with the camera I still have it, I don't have a strong track record sticking to one camera. I think I have found the one for me

Hi Jason, These two are my favorite just because they stand out so clearly.  They're exceptionally appealing visually.  Bees are always incredibly hard subjects because they tend to move around so much and never seem to sit still (anyone who has tried to shoot live bees will know what I mean).  But the two pictures above are really quite striking.  The colors and contrast of the parrot against the background makes it stand out boldly.  The leaves are likewise nicely separated from the background but the colors are lovely and warm.  Since it's Autumn right now in Australia, it's clear you're based somewhere on the lower East coast.  You seem to be getting some great results from that lens combo with your M50. 
EDIT: I just looked at your location and see that you're in Canberra.  You've got a lot of incredible subjects and locations around you that lend themselves nicely to your gear.  Enjoy yourself before it gets too cold.  I was down at the National Gallery two weeks ago and froze my butt off on the way home to Sydney.   I had rain and freezing winds so most of my M6 shots had to be taken indoors.  Some of my absolute favorite shots with the original EOS M were taken when I got lost on the outskirts of the ACT (near Lake George and those Wind Generator turbines on the far shore). 
I usually keep an eye out for fellow Aussie shooters on the M forum but I seem to have missed a few of your posts in recent weeks. I'll try to keep up.  Please keep posting!
The picture of the Eastern Rosella (the first in your set) is likewise a GREAT shot.  I had to click on the thumbnail to open the image and appreciate it properly.  I don't think that thumbnail does it justice.  I was once very keen to buy this lens but a couple of other members advised me to hold off as they felt its performance was a little mixed and possibly soft.  I think your images show just how good that lens is.  We might need someone to start a new mixed thread on the EF-M 55-200mm lens.  I remember the first samples Canon put out before it was released and they were exceptional.  We were commenting on it here in 2014 and it was hard to decide what to buy at the time.  You should review this lens and include some of your favorite samples.  I think there's only one review for it at this time.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +17 more
Re: Great Pics!

Thank you Marco for your kind words. I have been following your recent posts with the 100-400 and 32mm, both of which contain some really great shots. That 100-400mm is on my when I win the lotto list Add the 32mm to that as well. I may look at doing a quick review as you suggest only any problems that I have with the lens are more than likely due to my poor techniques that the lens itself

Cheers

Jason

leggeron Senior Member • Posts: 1,075

I decided to consolidate the 15-45 and 55-200 into one lens for coveniconve- the 18-150. Now I regret it! The 55-200, for what it is, is kind of magical for me. It's image quality is fantastic - both sharp and with a wonderful 3d-ish effect which I haven't seen on any cheap zoom for any other system. The 18-150 isn't a good example of a superzoom.

-- hide signature --

** I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts...

leggeron's gear list:leggeron's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +14 more
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 6,134

leggeron wrote:

I decided to consolidate the 15-45 and 55-200 into one lens for coveniconve- the 18-150. Now I regret it! The 55-200, for what it is, is kind of magical for me. It's image quality is fantastic - both sharp and with a wonderful 3d-ish effect which I haven't seen on any cheap zoom for any other system. The 18-150 isn't a good example of a superzoom.

That's a bit disappointing.  The focal range of 18-150 is a useful one for just about anyone.  I gather you sold those two lenses to justify the 18-150mm lens?  This is the EF-M lens, right?  I think it scored an average of around 4 out of 5 Stars here on DPreview by other owners.  But that too is misleading since there's just two reviews last time I looked and one owner liked it whereas the other didn't. It's not in anyone's interest to stick a lens on a camera system you want to elevate... and then have it produce sub-standard images.  At least the 55-200mm lens is producing good results.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads