Impression of Nikon Z7 after 3 days

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Symtex Contributing Member • Posts: 640
Impression of Nikon Z7 after 3 days

Last week I've mention that I wanted to switch from Canon to Nikon So I acquire the Z7 + 24-70mm kit lens on Thursday night.  I did some shooting on Friday and Saturday. This is my ad-hoc impression and experience as a first time Nikon shooter.

Ergonomics :  I really like the ergonomics. It's a bit weird coming from Canon as the grip and button placement are quite different.  After a few hours, I felt normal. I really like the size and weight of the camera.  I do find the joystick in the back to be quite sensitive and it's easy to press it when you want to go from side to side or up and down. I found myself clicking it at more than 1 occasion.  I am still getting acquainted with the dial position and the 2 function button.

Just a note. I love how small and inconspicuous the camera looks to others. I don't think anyone noticed that I had a very expensive Nikon with me. When I go out with the big DSLR, I get noticed right away. People stop by and start asking question. This didn't happen with the Z7. Maybe people thought I had an D3300 camera. I really like that as it is hard to get any shot done at time in populated area.

Operations :  I can't lie. I am totally lost with the Nikon menus. Nothings make sense and I have to google where to find specific option.  I really like the touchscreen and it took me a while to figure out how to disable shutter touch on AF.  The I button was really easy to use. Very similar to the Q button on Canon. With the touchscreen, it made all the changes possible. Friday was mostly handheld day. I took a lot of shoot at the 1/50 - 1/30sec shutter speed and the result came out tack sharp. (more on the lens later).  I love the tilt screen. Very similar to my Fuji. No complains there.  before someone ask, I don't care about 1 memory card slot. I am not a pro. It was never an issue for me.

The camera did came with the FTZ adapter but I don't have any FX lenses yet. I will comments on the use of the adapter once I get one.

Autofocus :  Since I did mostly landscape and cityscape photography. I mainly use AF-S mode. I found the camera focus fast enough for the type of use. It actually was very quick. I was surprise how quick and accurate it was. On Saturday night, I went to shoot the sunset and I saw my first failure attempt at focusing as the light went down.  the lens was hunting at F8. Most camera would struggle anyway. I didn't find the Z7 to be worst than most DSLR. I took the opportunity to switch to manual and try focus peaking.  No issue there.  I didn't get the chance to try face detection yet.  I've been shooting mirrorless for a while now (Fuji X-T2) and compare to my Fuji, I would say the Z7 is as fast or better than the Fuji X-T2 (which was already excellent).

Battery life : in both shooting session, I never felt like I was going to run out of battery and that's with the Bluetooth + wireless on at times. I normally shoot with EVF only but I did use the liveview extensively during my Saturday night session.  The battery life is excellent for what I used it for. No complains.

Kit Lens 24-70 F4/S : I really love the form factor of this lens. I don't care about the more plastic feel of it as long as it does the job.  I found this lens to be very sharp even wide open. I am shocked how good it is. Better than any kit lens I have ever used. It puts my Canon 24-105mm L to shame and I wouldn't be surprised if it was better than the Canon 24-70mm F2.8 II.  If the rest of the lens line up is going to reflect this lens than I am very excited about the future. I really don't need the F2.8 when I want to shoot landscape so I really not bother this lens is an F4.  As you might of read previously, I have an Canon TSE 24mm F3.5 II. That is my go to lens when I shoot landscape. Of course the 24-70mm F4/S doesn't have any shifting/tilting function, I would say the sharpness is very close or equivalents. That says a lot.  I shot at about 24mm and 70mm range of the lens. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this lens to anyone.

IBIS  : One of the main reason I wanted the Z7 was for the IBIS. It seems to work fairly well for me. I did have a few hit and miss but overall it does the job very well. I did turn it off when I was using the camera on a tripod. Of course, I don't have any longs telephoto lens so I cannot really test the effectiveness of the IBIS fully.

Image quality :  I really like the cleanliness of the raw files the camera output. No I didn't not see any banding while lifting shadow. I think the internet has blown this problem out of proportion. I did lift the shadow quite a bit in many pictures and it there was very little noise and no banding of course. I think it has been mention that if you have to raise your exposure by 5 EV, you have done something wrong and I agree. I thought it was easier to work with the Nikon RAW than Canon Raw. The dynamic range is excellent. All the picture I took ( and share on this website) were done with sharpness at 0 in Lightroom. I didn't feel like I had to add more sharpness to the raw. There were already very sharp. I normally use Nik plugin tools to add sharpening but I didn't feel like I needed too.  It only has been 3 days and I got some excellent result. I can only imagine what I am going to get once I get much better with this camera.

Conclusion :  I really love the short experience I had with the Z7. I feel like there is a lot more exploring I need to do.  On Sunday, I decided to start listing my Canon gear on CL. I know that If I don't fully commit to Nikon, I will always hang on to the past.  Canon has provided great glass and camera body for the past 15 years but it's no longer the innovative company they used to be.  I am sad and excited. I found a new friend in the Z7 but that means I have to let go of the old one.

I am looking forward to this new experience. I am already looking at Nikkor lenses to replace my 70-200mm, 50mm 1.4 and 150-600mm.  I might even get an 85mm. I might wait for the 70-200 Z mount.

end of my rambling.

Canon 5DS R, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Canon TSE-24m II, Fuji X-T2
Flickr : https://www.flickr.com/photos/fogboundturtle/

Symtex's gear list:Symtex's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon Z7 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D3300 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 22,035
Re: Impression of Nikon Z7 after 3 days

Glad to hear you are liking it.  Ergonomics was a huge issue for me.  After trying the Sony models and not being able to stand them, the Z series felt great in hand.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +17 more
MSullivan Forum Member • Posts: 94

Congrats and welcome!

Be sure to turn on the electronic front curtain shutter (custom setting D5) if you haven't already done so. It'll make the images even sharper by reducing shutter shock.

MSullivan's gear list:MSullivan's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +4 more
OP Symtex Contributing Member • Posts: 640
Yep

MSullivan wrote:

Congrats and welcome!

Be sure to turn on the electronic front curtain shutter (custom setting D5) if you haven't already done so. It'll make the images even sharper by reducing shutter shock.

Already did but thanks for the reminder.

-- hide signature --

Symtex's gear list:Symtex's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon Z7 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
beatboxa Senior Member • Posts: 5,684
Menu primer

Symtex wrote:

Last week I've mention that I wanted to switch from Canon to Nikon So I acquire the Z7 + 24-70mm kit lens on Thursday night. I did some shooting on Friday and Saturday. This is my ad-hoc impression and experience as a first time Nikon shooter.

Ergonomics : I really like the ergonomics. It's a bit weird coming from Canon as the grip and button placement are quite different. After a few hours, I felt normal. I really like the size and weight of the camera. I do find the joystick in the back to be quite sensitive and it's easy to press it when you want to go from side to side or up and down. I found myself clicking it at more than 1 occasion. I am still getting acquainted with the dial position and the 2 function button.

Just a note. I love how small and inconspicuous the camera looks to others. I don't think anyone noticed that I had a very expensive Nikon with me. When I go out with the big DSLR, I get noticed right away. People stop by and start asking question. This didn't happen with the Z7. Maybe people thought I had an D3300 camera. I really like that as it is hard to get any shot done at time in populated area.

Operations : I can't lie. I am totally lost with the Nikon menus. Nothings make sense and I have to google where to find specific option. I really like the touchscreen and it took me a while to figure out how to disable shutter touch on AF. The I button was really easy to use. Very similar to the Q button on Canon. With the touchscreen, it made all the changes possible. Friday was mostly handheld day. I took a lot of shoot at the 1/50 - 1/30sec shutter speed and the result came out tack sharp. (more on the lens later). I love the tilt screen. Very similar to my Fuji. No complains there. before someone ask, I don't care about 1 memory card slot. I am not a pro. It was never an issue for me.

The camera did came with the FTZ adapter but I don't have any FX lenses yet. I will comments on the use of the adapter once I get one.

Autofocus : Since I did mostly landscape and cityscape photography. I mainly use AF-S mode. I found the camera focus fast enough for the type of use. It actually was very quick. I was surprise how quick and accurate it was. On Saturday night, I went to shoot the sunset and I saw my first failure attempt at focusing as the light went down. the lens was hunting at F8. Most camera would struggle anyway. I didn't find the Z7 to be worst than most DSLR. I took the opportunity to switch to manual and try focus peaking. No issue there. I didn't get the chance to try face detection yet. I've been shooting mirrorless for a while now (Fuji X-T2) and compare to my Fuji, I would say the Z7 is as fast or better than the Fuji X-T2 (which was already excellent).

Battery life : in both shooting session, I never felt like I was going to run out of battery and that's with the Bluetooth + wireless on at times. I normally shoot with EVF only but I did use the liveview extensively during my Saturday night session. The battery life is excellent for what I used it for. No complains.

Kit Lens 24-70 F4/S : I really love the form factor of this lens. I don't care about the more plastic feel of it as long as it does the job. I found this lens to be very sharp even wide open. I am shocked how good it is. Better than any kit lens I have ever used. It puts my Canon 24-105mm L to shame and I wouldn't be surprised if it was better than the Canon 24-70mm F2.8 II. If the rest of the lens line up is going to reflect this lens than I am very excited about the future. I really don't need the F2.8 when I want to shoot landscape so I really not bother this lens is an F4. As you might of read previously, I have an Canon TSE 24mm F3.5 II. That is my go to lens when I shoot landscape. Of course the 24-70mm F4/S doesn't have any shifting/tilting function, I would say the sharpness is very close or equivalents. That says a lot. I shot at about 24mm and 70mm range of the lens. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this lens to anyone.

IBIS : One of the main reason I wanted the Z7 was for the IBIS. It seems to work fairly well for me. I did have a few hit and miss but overall it does the job very well. I did turn it off when I was using the camera on a tripod. Of course, I don't have any longs telephoto lens so I cannot really test the effectiveness of the IBIS fully.

Image quality : I really like the cleanliness of the raw files the camera output. No I didn't not see any banding while lifting shadow. I think the internet has blown this problem out of proportion. I did lift the shadow quite a bit in many pictures and it there was very little noise and no banding of course. I think it has been mention that if you have to raise your exposure by 5 EV, you have done something wrong and I agree. I thought it was easier to work with the Nikon RAW than Canon Raw. The dynamic range is excellent. All the picture I took ( and share on this website) were done with sharpness at 0 in Lightroom. I didn't feel like I had to add more sharpness to the raw. There were already very sharp. I normally use Nik plugin tools to add sharpening but I didn't feel like I needed too. It only has been 3 days and I got some excellent result. I can only imagine what I am going to get once I get much better with this camera.

Conclusion : I really love the short experience I had with the Z7. I feel like there is a lot more exploring I need to do. On Sunday, I decided to start listing my Canon gear on CL. I know that If I don't fully commit to Nikon, I will always hang on to the past. Canon has provided great glass and camera body for the past 15 years but it's no longer the innovative company they used to be. I am sad and excited. I found a new friend in the Z7 but that means I have to let go of the old one.

I am looking forward to this new experience. I am already looking at Nikkor lenses to replace my 70-200mm, 50mm 1.4 and 150-600mm. I might even get an 85mm. I might wait for the 70-200 Z mount.

end of my rambling.

Congrats!

Here's the way I think about the menus:

• Photo Shooting menu is the high-level stuff about how to take the shot or produce the files.  Think: "which <insert feature> mode  or feature  are you choosing?"
  • Movie is the same, but for videos
  • Custom Settings is the details to tune the modes, and is subdivided into sub-categories.  Think "which value  for the feature do I want to select?"
  • Setup is camera stuff, mainly unrelated to photos or exposure.
  • Retouch is in-camera JPEGs from raw
  • My Menu is a custom menu you can make for your most frequent items

Under custom settings, you have the following sub-categories:

• a: Autofocus
  • b: Metering/exposure
  • c: Timers/AE lock
  • d: Shooting/display
  • e: Bracketing/flash
  • f:  Controls
  • g: Movie

So, here are some scenarios (if you were doing this through the menu):

• To change between single and continuous ("servo"), you would go to Photo Shooting menu.
  • To change between single-shot and burst, you would go to the Photo Shooting menu.
  • To select metering mode, you would go to the Photo Shooting menu.
  • To fine tune the delay between refocus, you would go to Custom Settings > Autofocus menu.
  • To fine tune the burst speed, you would go to Custom Settings > Shooting/display
  • To fine tune the exposure increment steps, you would go to Custom Settings > Metering/exposure
  • To reassign buttons or populate your i-menu, you would go to Custom Settings > Controls
  • To connect to your phone or update firmware, you would go to the setup menu.

Hope that makes sense.  You'll get used to it and you may find it very effective.  Also, don't forget about your i-menu (new to the Z's), which is a very useful way of avoiding menu dives.

D200_4me
D200_4me Veteran Member • Posts: 4,520
Wi-Fi tip (battery saving)

There's no need to leave wi-fi enabled on the camera.  If you idea is to control it now and then via Snapbridge, you can leave Bluetooth on but turn off Wi-Fi because Snapbridge will force the wi-fi to turn on in the camera once you start the 'remote photography' session in Snapbridge.  It will prompt you in the app if you want to connect to the camera's wi-fi.

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Nikon Z7 Panasonic G95 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +1 more
Fazal Majid
Fazal Majid Senior Member • Posts: 1,719

Sigma has the 105mm f/2.8 DG EX OS Macro on sale for $519 at the moment. It's a very sharp macro lens with VR/IS, better than Nikon's own 105mm VR macro.

You might also want to get tempered glass screen protectors.

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Sony RX1R II Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-T2 Leica M10 Nikon Z7 +28 more
jthomas39 Forum Member • Posts: 66

After about four weeks, here's some things that help me:

Power on

I have a 20 or 30 second C3 standby timer. So the screens shut off after that time, and use less than 1% battery per hour while sleeping. Half pressing the shutter or any button wakes it up, taking about the same amount of time as a power-on does. None of the camera settings are changed or reset when in sleep mode. So that's what I do when I'm out walking around with the camera -- leave it turned on.

Touch screen

It's way faster to use the touch screen instead of the OK arrows with the menu selections. Much less annoying.

And in shooting mode, any display screen setting with a box drawn around it can be touched to change it -- shutter, aperture, ISO, depending on the selected mode.

ISO

The auto-ISO confused me at first. Now I have it set to the lowest ISO I want to use -- normally either 100 most of the time, or 800 at night. I set the max ISO in the menus to 25600 -- that's noisy but often works pretty well with editing raw images.

I just press the ISO on the touch screen, then set the lowest ISO I want to use.

Or to switch off auto-ISO, hold the ISO button and use the front command dial.

The i-menu selections

The current highlighted menu selection can be changed with the rear control dial, then a half press of the shutter makes the selection. No need to press OK. It's fast and effective when I change a setting, then change it back after a few shots. Sub-selections, like 1-6 custom white balance or Continous-L FPS, uses the front control dial to choose.

But if you use the rear touch screen or the OK arrows, you have to press OK to set the new choice. And switching to a different i-menu entry needs the touch screen or OK arrows, so then the OK button is required. There's an on-screen "OK box" prompt when it's needed.

I've added some menu selections that seemed hard to find or less logical, to the My Menu. I set the red video record button to pop up the My Menu when I'm in photo mode.

F1, F2

I set F1 to metering (and it's on my i-menu too). I had been leaving it on Matrix, but now I'm changing it more often.

I like F2 as zoom. It's useful when focusing, and in reviewing--where it zooms to the focus point.

Framing grid

I find the camera level display distracting and annoying. So I most often use the A9 Framing Grid to get a reasonably level horizon or building edge. I have the focus selector button set to turn framing on/off. I use it often.

Focus peaking with autofocus

I have focus peaking D10 turned on. WIth autofocus mode, when half pressing the shutter, turning the lens focus ring shows focus peaking. It's handy for adjusting focus when the camera wants to focus on nearby objects and I want them out of focus.

It's not perfect -- it's the same red "in focus" areas for F4 or F22. Is there a setting for this?

(I thought this autofocus peaking method was a separate menu selection from the regular manual focus peaking, but now I can't find it. I guess it's always set when D10 is on?)

copyfall Regular Member • Posts: 122

I purchased in Feb and still coming across things that I did not know or had misunderstood. Most recent discovery is split-image feature. I had misunderstood VR feature. Recently I learnt that if I turn-off VR on lens, it will turn off IBIS also.

Things to learnt depends on potential subjects. In addition to landscape, I do bird photography also. Action photography added more items to the list of things to learn.

Over all I like Z7.  One complaint is, Focus Peaking is not as pronounced as my previous camera (Pentax K1).  Marching ants are somewhat faint and difficult to see. I have configured sensitivity to 3 (high), still it is faint.

copyfall's gear list:copyfall's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
z2122
z2122 Contributing Member • Posts: 874

When I switched from Canon to Nikon I bought a book of the D610 for 30,- euros and it helped a lot to get into the Nikon world. Later when I got the D750 I was reading the manual for a few hours and everything was clear to me including all the specific parameters that could be changed. Nikon is a joy to use and a dedicated book with used cases is a big help if you come from another brand.

Its not only about functions of the camera and how they help in practical situations but also to get an overview of the accessories ( eg flash, different lens generations,) and their capabilities

-- hide signature --

https://www.ppetschauer.com/
catch the light - explore emotions

z2122's gear list:z2122's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
JacquesC
JacquesC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,810
Re: Wi-Fi tip (battery saving)

D200_4me wrote:

There's no need to leave wi-fi enabled on the camera. If you idea is to control it now and then via Snapbridge, you can leave Bluetooth on but turn off Wi-Fi because Snapbridge will force the wi-fi to turn on in the camera once you start the 'remote photography' session in Snapbridge. It will prompt you in the app if you want to connect to the camera's wi-fi.

A good suggestion.

I use it like this and it works flawlessly every time. I mostly use Snapbridge to capture location data, and the camera switches wi-fi on and off as required.

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

Felipe Rodríguez
Felipe Rodríguez Veteran Member • Posts: 3,214
What about the 24 TS-E?

Hello

Thanks for sharing your experience in such thoroughly way.

I am wondering whether you're planning to wait until a smart FE to Z adapter is released in order to use your 24 TS-E lens. I also have that lens (besides the 17 and old 45), and I'm really getting bored of having them unused. I thought the adapter would be released sooner... The problem is that the PC-Nikkor 24mm lens, being a fairly good one, is not as good as its Canon counterpart. And the PC 19mm is outrageously expensive (not to mention it's 2 mm shorter than the Canon 17 TS-E). So I guess I'll have to keep waiting for the smart adapter...

Regards!

-- hide signature --

http://www.felipe-rodriguez.com
Bokeh
Dadme un mundo sin contornos,
Un espacio feliz que ignore los perfiles.
Concededme, sí, la dicha redonda
De flotar sin conciencia en el fondo
Desenfocado de mis fotografías.
Give me a world with no edges,
A happy space knowing nothing about outlines.
Grant me, please, the round joy
Of unconsciously floating on the blurred
Background of my photographs.

Felipe Rodríguez's gear list:Felipe Rodríguez's gear list
Nikon Z7 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH +14 more
z2122
z2122 Contributing Member • Posts: 874
Re: What about the 24 TS-E?

Felipe Rodríguez wrote:

Hello

I am wondering whether you're planning to wait until a smart FE to Z adapter is released in order to use your 24 TS-E lens. I also have that lens (besides the 17 and old 45), and I'm really getting bored of having them unused. I thought the adapter would be released sooner... The problem is that the PC-Nikkor 24mm lens, being a fairly good one, is not as good as its Canon counterpart. And the PC 19mm is outrageously expensive (not to mention it's 2 mm shorter than the Canon 17 TS-E). So I guess I'll have to keep waiting for the smart adapter...

Regards!

-

As far as I know Kipon announced already an EF to Z adapter with aperture control ( and AF) . This adapter will be released in June 2019. I also want go use Canon TS-E 17mm lens on Nikon Z and I need that adapter...

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62570822

-- hide signature --

https://www.ppetschauer.com/
catch the light - explore emotions

z2122's gear list:z2122's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
Felipe Rodríguez
Felipe Rodríguez Veteran Member • Posts: 3,214
Re: What about the 24 TS-E?

z2122 wrote:

Felipe Rodríguez wrote:

Hello

Regards!

-

As far as I know Kipon announced already an EF to Z adapter with aperture control ( and AF) . This adapter will be released in June 2019. I also want go use Canon TS-E 17mm lens on Nikon Z and I need that adapter...

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62570822

Thanks! I hope June is not just vaporware...

-- hide signature --

http://www.felipe-rodriguez.com
Bokeh
Dadme un mundo sin contornos,
Un espacio feliz que ignore los perfiles.
Concededme, sí, la dicha redonda
De flotar sin conciencia en el fondo
Desenfocado de mis fotografías.
Give me a world with no edges,
A happy space knowing nothing about outlines.
Grant me, please, the round joy
Of unconsciously floating on the blurred
Background of my photographs.

Felipe Rodríguez's gear list:Felipe Rodríguez's gear list
Nikon Z7 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH +14 more
D200_4me
Re: Wi-Fi tip (battery saving)

JacquesC wrote:

D200_4me wrote:

There's no need to leave wi-fi enabled on the camera. If you idea is to control it now and then via Snapbridge, you can leave Bluetooth on but turn off Wi-Fi because Snapbridge will force the wi-fi to turn on in the camera once you start the 'remote photography' session in Snapbridge. It will prompt you in the app if you want to connect to the camera's wi-fi.

A good suggestion.

I use it like this and it works flawlessly every time. I mostly use Snapbridge to capture location data, and the camera switches wi-fi on and off as required.

I normally don't have either enabled...and I just turn on Bluetooth from the i menu as needed.  Quick and easy

-- hide signature --
Nikon Z7 Panasonic G95 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +1 more
zipolly Forum Member • Posts: 84

MSullivan wrote:

Congrats and welcome!

Also means you limit your top shutter speed to 1/2000 sec ???

sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,334

How often do you go over 2000??, if you need too, turn of EFCS.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +10 more
D200_4me

zipolly wrote:

MSullivan wrote:

Congrats and welcome!

Also means you limit your top shutter speed to 1/2000 sec ???

Absolutely.

But...this typically would only be an issue if you have a rather wide aperture in very bright light.  I was a little concerned about this as well, but after a few months of shooting I realized I hardly even hit 1/2000 for what I was shooting.  The only time I did was when using an f/1.8 lens mostly wide open in very bright light.  All other times I was comfortably below 1/2000th.

-- hide signature --
FuhTeng
FuhTeng Senior Member • Posts: 1,042

Enjoy!

I heartily recommend Thom Hogan's book on the Z7/Z6 pair - http://bythom.com/

I find him a very useful and exhaustive resource.

If you want a long lens, take a good look at the fabulous and small 300 f/4 PF. A great match with the small size of the Zs.

-- hide signature --

"Our young men should spend more time considering the composition and merit of their images, and less time with magnifying glasses counting how many bricks and shingles they can resolve." - from a Paris newspaper article on Daguerrotype photography, from 1841. (and https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/1839-and-the-frenzy-that-followed)

FuhTeng's gear list:FuhTeng's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6300 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +12 more
pepsijunior
pepsijunior Contributing Member • Posts: 834

Great write-up, I just got one with the 24-70 2.8 s with 600$ off the body with a new “promotion” also with the free adapter so I picked up the 70-200 FL as it was also 600$ off. I couldn’t resist as I’m sure the new 70-200 s will be released in the fall of this year or later and be roughly 3K and having the new adapter, it was a good deal as it seems it has great AF with the adapter as I’ve heard and a total of 1200$ off was irresistible.

i know what you mean about the Z looking and appearing as a D3300. It is an awesome feeling. I had a Z6 previously as I tested it out with the 50 1.8 and 35 1.8 (love the primes) and seen a woman shooting an A9 combo with the 70-200 GM. That instantly stood out. But I guess mine would with the FL, but they just look at it like “oh, so... you’ve got a Nikon mirrorless?! Smh” . So it definitely doesn’t pose a threat

I also owned an XT2, so it’s great to hear the comparison and I love the XT3 with its better af. I got the Z7 for its resolution, flexibility and excellent ergonomics and that’s saying a lot as I love the Fuji. I dislike the Sony ergos but some of their primes are hard to beat. I do like the Nikon Z ergonomics the best.

I tried the Canon R out of curiosity as I liked the 28-70 but as massive and heavy as it was, it felt like I was carrying the 200 f2 around. The Canon was so hard for me to use without the joystick and forcing me to use the touch screen which I wasn’t good with cause I only use touch screens with smart phones. That’s about my limit with touch screens. So 👎🏻 for the R.

pepsijunior's gear list:pepsijunior's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads