Should I get Z6 kit for $1999

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
dual Forum Member • Posts: 66
Should I get Z6 kit for $1999

Local store is selling Z6 and 24-70/f4 for $1999. Thinking about switching from D750 and 24-120. Just wondering how much will I miss the extra 50mm of my current lens. It has been very useful for travel/landscape and no, I don't want to buy/use adapter...

Nikon D750 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
upsidedown Regular Member • Posts: 123
Re: Should I get Z6 kit for $1999

dual wrote:

Local store is selling Z6 and 24-70/f4 for $1999. Thinking about switching from D750 and 24-120. Just wondering how much will I miss the extra 50mm of my current lens. It has been very useful for travel/landscape and no, I don't want to buy/use adapter...

is anything wrong with your current setup? what problem will you solve by moving to Z6

Batdude
Batdude Senior Member • Posts: 4,194

dual wrote:

A Z6 WITH the 24-70 lens for $1999????

What store is this?

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
OP dual Forum Member • Posts: 66

Batdude wrote:

dual wrote:

What store is this?

Yes. Can't say. Only couple kits available.

upsidedown wrote:

dual wrote:

is anything wrong with your current setup? what problem will you solve by moving to Z6

Mostly I want smaller, lighter setup and better video.

Ekimc19 New Member • Posts: 2

Use your 24-120 and don't turn past 70 for a few days, you'll figure it out if you'll miss the extra 50mm or not. No one here can help answering that question better than you do. Or use see exif sorting programs to figure out how much you use the 120mm end.

$1999 seems like a really good price for the kit. Don't forget to factor the XQD card price into your decision.

HeavyDuty Senior Member • Posts: 1,915

dual wrote:

I would jump on it - especially at that price!

-- hide signature --

Ken in Illinois
Railroad Action: http://www.pbase.com/kjford
Candids: http://www.pbase.com/kjford/other

HeavyDuty's gear list:HeavyDuty's gear list
Leica APO-Summicron-M 75mm f/2 ASPH Fujifilm X100S Canon XC10 Sigma dp0 Quattro Sony RX10 III +73 more
Batdude

dual wrote:

Batdude wrote:

dual wrote:

What store is this?

hahahaha ok fair enough.  Something fishy is going on here that store is pretty much giving you the lens for free.   I just can’t believe that kit is being sold at that price.  If it is legit I wonder what kind of amazing  sales there will be in around six to 12 months 😁

Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more

Batdude wrote:

dual wrote:

Batdude wrote:

dual wrote:

What store is this?

hahahaha ok fair enough. Something fishy is going on here that store is pretty much giving you the lens for free. I just can’t believe that kit is being sold at that price. If it is legit I wonder what kind of amazing sales there will be in around six to 12 months 😁

Nothing fishy they are well known store with good reputation. Maybe that kit hasn't been selling well.

tlittlefield Regular Member • Posts: 251

Are you in the USA?

Is this new or a return?

Is the shop an authorized Nikon re-seller?

tlittlefield's gear list:tlittlefield's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +1 more
upsidedown Regular Member • Posts: 123

dual wrote:

upsidedown wrote:

dual wrote:

if you have Lightroom or something similar, you can filter your pictures by focal length used to take pics. You'll see how often you go above 70 and if there are any favorites og yours in that range

bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,189

If you have not auditioned the Z6 you really need to determine for yourself if the change in paradigm from optical to EVF, along with 4k, is worth it to you.

I was on the fence until recent Nikon inducements because I did not think the change in overall bulkitude in real world use compared to the D610/750 was significant. Even after a month of use I still feel that way. The Z6 is physically smaller but still quite dense and relatively heavy. A masonry brick comes to mind.

To be fair I have an m43 camera that appears petite but with travel zoom attached weighs more than a small optical APS C with comparable travel zoom attached. EVFs have a lot of stuff packed into smaller bodies so size can be deceiving.

I am very fond of my Z6 but if I did not have much prior experience with EVF cameras the inevitable glitches would be frustrating--they're pretty mild on the Z6 compared to some other EVFs I have owned or used but they are waiting for you.

If the 24-120 is your only Nikon lens you will miss it. Nikon made decisions about focal distance that render the lens adapter quite thick, including the attached tripod mount. I do not find that a problem with single focal length fixed size lenses but it has an ergonomic impact as lens length extends and particularly with longer zooms.

That being said if the store will let you try your 24-120 with the Z/adapter you might find the Z6 body and adapter all you need.

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Nikon Z6
Batdude

dual wrote:

Batdude wrote:

dual wrote:

Batdude wrote:

dual wrote:

What store is this?

hahahaha ok fair enough. Something fishy is going on here that store is pretty much giving you the lens for free. I just can’t believe that kit is being sold at that price. If it is legit I wonder what kind of amazing sales there will be in around six to 12 months 😁

Nothing fishy they are well known store with good reputation. Maybe that kit hasn't been selling well.

Exactly my point, but still, that price just seems too good to be true.

then again the Fuji XH1 I bought it for $1899 and a year later the sucker dropped to $1299 with the grip. In only 12 months its value dropped dramatically. After that happened I swore to God I would never again buy a brand new camera and I rather wait 😁

like I said, if the price is legit then I’ll possibly buy one myself and good for me and bad for Nikon and that will be my way of sticking it to them hahaha πŸ˜€

if this is in fact a sign that these cameras are not selling that well then for sure I wouldn’t mind waiting a bit longer and see some insane good deals out there. Good for me the consumer πŸ‘

giarc
giarc Contributing Member • Posts: 717

dual wrote:

Batdude wrote:

dual wrote:

Batdude wrote:

dual wrote:

What store is this?

I think its been selling great... the day I got my Z7, 3 other people where picking up the Z6 with 24-70 kits, and this isn't a large shop. And why not pick up the FTZ? last I looked, it was free with that kit.

just Tony
just Tony Senior Member • Posts: 2,620

dual wrote:

upsidedown wrote:

dual wrote:

If I had the same motivation I would have started the car by now, and on my way to the store.

Speaking from my experience with the Z7 with the native Z lens, the focusing in video is infinitely more satisfactory than what my D810 can manage. I credit the on-sensor phase detection focusing system. And the Z6 is reportedly superb at video for additional reasons.

-- hide signature --

Render unto Digital, that which is Digital's,
and unto Analog, that which is Analog's

eliehbk
eliehbk Senior Member • Posts: 1,657

For this price, and you’re asking!!!

eliehbk's gear list:eliehbk's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Leica M10 Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +3 more
whoosh1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,874
Dummy Trade-in after event ended?

Batdude wrote:

dual wrote:

Batdude wrote:

dual wrote:

What store is this?

Maybe the store told Nikon they already did the $200 trade-in for this camera (and they are filling in paperwork showing a used camera actually traded in by a couple of different customers who did not do the Z6/Z7 trade). And combine it with a dealer discount.

whoosh1's gear list:whoosh1's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +10 more
tlittlefield Regular Member • Posts: 251
This can't be a new camera with a USA warranty

If this is an authorized USA Nikon dealer this can't be a new camera with a valid USA warranty.

An authorized Nikon Dealer can not discount band new equipment only authorized deals from Nikon, like the free FTZ adapter.

tlittlefield's gear list:tlittlefield's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +1 more
Varuas Contributing Member • Posts: 538
Re: This can't be a new camera with a USA warranty

tlittlefield wrote:

If this is an authorized USA Nikon dealer this can't be a new camera with a valid USA warranty.

An authorized Nikon Dealer can not discount band new equipment only authorized deals from Nikon, like the free FTZ adapter.

Like tlittlefield said, this can't be from an authorized Nikon dealer. So, beware of the warranty/repair if you bought it from unauthorized sellers. Nikon will not repair or service it even for money.

If, somehow, this dealer is slashing prices on a legit US warranty Z6 kit that much, it could be an openbox or really you're lucky. But it could be too good to be true.

Varuas's gear list:Varuas's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D600 Nikon Z6 YI 4K+ Action Camera Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
ToxicTabasco
ToxicTabasco Senior Member • Posts: 2,549

dual wrote:

That's a great deal.  The lens alone is worth almost a grand.  I would jump on it.  And get the Nikon adapter too.  It is the best dedicated adapter for the Nikon Z.  That way you can use your current lenses.

ToxicTabasco's gear list:ToxicTabasco's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads