Managing images in bulk, how to add metadata to thousands of images

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
denverdonate
denverdonate Forum Member • Posts: 57
Managing images in bulk, how to add metadata to thousands of images

When I throw an image in photoshop I usually add additional exif data before saving but I need to manage a few thousand images and I wanted to add 1 thing to the exif of these thousands of images. Is there a tool to bulk/instantly add a piece of metadata to all of the images at once without having to run a batch script in Photoshop?

richardplondon
richardplondon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,890
Re: Managing images in bulk, how to add metadata to thousands of images

Yes: Exiftool

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
Dale Garman Contributing Member • Posts: 934
Re: Managing images in bulk, how to add metadata to thousands of images

You can also do that in LR.  In the Library module, you add the piece of data to a single picture, and then anchor on that picture and select as many additional ones as you like.  At the bottom right you will get Sync Metadata which then opens up screen so you can pick which piece of metadata it is that you want to sync to all of the images.

It is really the mirror to the process in the Develop module for syncing various adj to multiple pictures (like white balance, sharpening, noise reduction etc.).  But when you start in Library instead of Develop it syncs metadata.

Dale Garman's gear list:Dale Garman's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads