Kindly Comment

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
dristikon18
dristikon18 Forum Member • Posts: 98
Kindly Comment

White-naped Woodpecker (কাঠঠোকরা)

Clicked at early morning on Sunday (14 March 2019) at Valley School Forest area, Bangalore (India) with Nikon D5300 + 200-500mm lens at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/1600s, ISO 360, AF-C, Dynamic 9 points, (Aperture Priority)

dristikon18's gear list:dristikon18's gear list
Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR
Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Blanche Bovine Regular Member • Posts: 385
Re: Kindly Comment

dristikon18 wrote:

Clicked at early morning on Sunday (14 March 2019) at Valley School Forest area, Bangalore (India) with Nikon D5300 + 200-500mm lens at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/1600s, ISO 360, AF-C, Dynamic 9 points, (Aperture Priority)

It's a nice shot but a little soft.

Blanche Bovine's gear list:Blanche Bovine's gear list
Nikon D500 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
riveredger Veteran Member • Posts: 3,198

dristikon18 wrote:

Need to get closer and get more of the subject in the frame.

nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,307
I can do that

I'll comment kindly first.  I like the composition, as a documentary-style image.  Shows the bird in just the environment you'd expect to see him.  Nothing at all wrong with that.

The not-necessarily-kindly comment I have is that the focus seems to be on the bird's lower body.  Naturally, I've been told for so long that the eye must be sharp - the point of focus - so I just look there first.  So.... I would say that's where improvement could be made next time.  I didn't see any exif data, so maybe stopping down the lens would bring the eye in focus as well as the body.

Good job.

-- hide signature --

Stay thirsty, my friends.
I'll try to be nicer if you'll try to be smarter.
It's fun being me -- Denny Crane.

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Twitchly
Twitchly Senior Member • Posts: 1,034

Nice job on isolating the subject with a blank background. I like the simple composition.

The bird is in shadow, which of course you couldn’t do much about (those pesky birds just won’t do what we tell them!) so I might try lightening the bird a little using the dodge tool in Photoshop (or equivalent). And as others have mentioned, I might crop the photo a bit to bring the subject forward.

Birds are one of the harder things to capture well, in my experience. Good job.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @twitchly

Twitchly's gear list:Twitchly's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW120 Canon G1 X III Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,153

Orig.

You might try to shoot a bracket of exposures.
It is very hard to judge subject lighting at that range, so a selection of exposures would give you a better chance of nailing it.
You might also look at final PP before putting it on display, especially when you've reduced the size so much. (the second version is slightly sharpened and brightened for a little more bird detail).
Also suggest in future, you post these to the Nikon Forum where you will be able to get a lot more specific advice than here.

-- hide signature --

Ron.
Volunteer, what could possibly go wrong ?

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a7R Sony a77 II +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads