The 18-55mm not sharp enough ?? , have a look..

Started 2 months ago | Photos
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 13,171
The 18-55mm not sharp enough ?? , have a look..

SOOC Jpeg Pro negStd just reframed..

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
baobob
OP baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 13,171
Re: The 18-55mm not sharp enough ?? , have a look..

with EF42 bounced to ceilling with a small softbox on the cobra

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
Jaloohan2 Regular Member • Posts: 124

Very sharp indeed

biza43 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,651

All this means is that you have a good copy of the lens. Others have bad copies.

Happens with zooms across all brands.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +1 more
NextShowForSure Regular Member • Posts: 303

Nice shot but good luck with this as you are flying in the face of a major preoccupation amongst many, almost a hobby in itself, of 'I will find that elusive problem with my 18-55 even if it is the last thing I ever do". 

NextShowForSure's gear list:NextShowForSure's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough 3000 Canon PowerShot D30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Fujifilm X-A3 +6 more
David Mintzer Contributing Member • Posts: 727

baobob wrote:

SOOC Jpeg Pro negStd just reframed..

Very nice detail--maybe too much!  (or get yourself a proper makeup artist !!

David Mintzer's gear list:David Mintzer's gear list
Leica Q Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +4 more
lexvo Regular Member • Posts: 323

My copy of the 18-55 performs the same as yours. I won't part from it

lexvo's gear list:lexvo's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 58,953
Nothing wrong with that

Nothing wrong with that and I bet its no softer at F4 too

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Fujifilm X-T100
AdamT
55mm F4.5 - Just Cropped ------->

55mm almost Wideopen at F4.5 (it was at F4 previously but the Aperture ring is easily nudged) - Just Cropped Click ORIGINAL to Pixel Peep

-- hide signature --

AdamT
Re: 55mm wideopen at F4 - Heavy Crop ------->

Now 55mm F4 heavy crop using the resolution of the camera to get more "zoom" .. it`s worth finding a top copy of this lens but can be tough Quest , i`ve seen some right duds

Again , Click original to pixel peep 100% Crop no resize

-- hide signature --

jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 7,172

Not surprising results as my copy is decently sharp at the long end as well.  The problem with the 18-55 is at 18mm where the edges are soft, (which is verified by the Lenstip.com review.) Most standard kit zooms are optimized for sharpness at the wide end, but unfortunately the 18-55 is just the opposite with soft edges at 18mm even when stopped down. I have owned three Nikon 18-55mm lenses and all had sharp edges at 18mm when stopped down to f8, but not so with the Fujinon, which is really disappointing. How is it that Fujifilm can make the XC 16-50 mm sharp at the edges at 16mm and f3.5, but the XF 18-55 suffers edge softness 18mm at f/8?

So if one mainly shoots at the long end the 18-55 will likely satisfy, but as a landscape or travel zoom it disappoints. I find the XC 16-50 a much better choice for a travel lens as it is reasonably sharp at all focal lengths in its range and does not suffer such noticeable edge softness at the wide end like the XF 18-55. I would love to have Fujifilm produce the XC 16-50mm in a higher build quality XF lens, but I doubt that will happen, unfortunately.

Here is an example image of the XF 16-50mm shot wide open at 16mm, which I wish the XF 18-55mm could match in terms of edge sharpness at 18mm.

Fujinon XC 16-50mm at f3.5.

-- hide signature --

Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 +11 more
AdamT

j

Not surprising results as my copy is decently sharp at the long end as well. The problem with the 18-55 is at 18mm where the edges are soft, (which is verified by the Lenstip.com review.) Most standard kit zooms are optimized for sharpness at the wide end, but unfortunately the 18-55 is just the opposite with soft edges at 18mm even when stopped down.

it`s been explained - 1:- the lens has high Curvature which can mean soft edges especially if the lens is decentered as the Curvature makes the decentring look far worse than on a more flat field lens like the 16-50 b and 2:- it`s a horrible lens for sample Variance , must be a hard lens to assemble consistently ..

Lenstip like the rest of us can only go by the copy they have in front of them and with the 18-55 you can`t write a definitive review based on one sample , 50 of the things maybe . The copy I have now can produce consistently sharp edges at F5.6 but you have to shoot deep into a scene to manage that at F2.8 .... Curvature is far worse at 55mm

-- hide signature --

AdamT
Samples

https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6254305281/albums/fuji-xf18-55

MY 18-55 test Album - EXIF data intact - click original or JPG to see full size

All full size images or 100% crops - from an XT100 in RAW Capture one Fuji Free edition

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads