When do you use other cameras?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Jeffry7 New Member • Posts: 22
When do you use other cameras?

Hi folks,

I just got the quattro sd h and an 85mm prime to go with it. I am still learning to use, but one thing I like is the inclusion of usually upmarket features like focus peaking and the digital level. I am coming from a Canon 550d and these features are not available unless you install Magic Lantern. (The level isn't available even then.)

When I read reviews on the camera before buying, the uniform opinion was that Sigma was very good for what it is good for. Examples included landscapes.

So my questions. Do you use your Sigma as you goto camera, or do you also use another camera for some subjects?

If you use another camera, when do you take the Sigma and when do you take the other?

Thanks!

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 14,701
Re: When do you use other cameras?
4

Jeffry7 wrote:

Hi folks,

I just got the quattro sd h and an 85mm prime to go with it. I am still learning to use, but one thing I like is the inclusion of usually upmarket features like focus peaking and the digital level. I am coming from a Canon 550d and these features are not available unless you install Magic Lantern. (The level isn't available even then.)

When I read reviews on the camera before buying, the uniform opinion was that Sigma was very good for what it is good for. Examples included landscapes.

So my questions. Do you use your Sigma as you goto camera, or do you also use another camera for some subjects?

I use my Panasonics for product photography (wife's eBay sales). Hard to beat the fully articulated LCD, magnified focus-by-wire, excellent AWB, and the aspect ratio options - especially 1:1 for eBay stuff - all of which usually taken with the Vario 14-45mm kit lens:

-- hide signature --

Ted

 xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Sigma SD15 +15 more
EEvan
EEvan Forum Member • Posts: 95
Re: When do you use other cameras?
5

Jeffry7 wrote:

Hi folks,

I just got the quattro sd h and an 85mm prime to go with it. I am still learning to use, but one thing I like is the inclusion of usually upmarket features like focus peaking and the digital level. I am coming from a Canon 550d and these features are not available unless you install Magic Lantern. (The level isn't available even then.)

When I read reviews on the camera before buying, the uniform opinion was that Sigma was very good for what it is good for. Examples included landscapes.

So my questions. Do you use your Sigma as you goto camera, or do you also use another camera for some subjects?

If you use another camera, when do you take the Sigma and when do you take the other?

Thanks!

I use other cameras if the light is going to be questionable.

If it's something with lots of light, Sigma makes sense. If there isn't, it's a tough call.

threw the lens
threw the lens Contributing Member • Posts: 625
Re: When do you use other cameras?
1

I use something else for (almost) everything.

Wheel out the antique x3 only for base iso and even then processing can be hell. Not really keen on the crop format sensors so no hurry to acquire a newer one.

Looking forward to an FF mirrorless release that will adapt lenses. Although despite the acuity advantage, I have the feeling the sensor will still be down at least two stops on dynamic range compared to the other big beasts in this realm.

richard stone Veteran Member • Posts: 3,038
Re: When do you use other cameras?

I mainly use my sdQ for everything, except when I just need to document something or save information.

When I visit my chicken farm and I see an issue I use my iphone 6 camera so I can just show people what I'm talking about. If my daughters have some event I might use either camera.

When I visit a Japanese garden or an interesting site, and I want to take pictures worth keeping and printing, I use the sdQ.

if you want to get good at doing something you can't just do it every now and then, and getting proficient with a particular camera means using it a lot, and learning what it can do well, and how to get the most from it.

And sometimes you will find yourself shooting at less than optimal ISO, just to get a picture. Learn to deal with it (X3F-> SPP-> tif-> RT-> jpg....) No, the results will not look like color print film. Or you can use direct to jpg or DNG.

I think this business of not using the Sigma unless the light is bright ignores the features of the OS lenses that you should be using on the camera if you are not going to use a tripod. And you won't always be carrying/using a tripod if it is your main/primary camera. If you only shoot when the light is bright you are going to miss out on the best light for actually shooting a lot of images. Using a slower shutter speed works just fine with the good OS lenses. And you get more images of people not squinting.

From what I can tell the lens to have on the sdQ is the 17-70 OS/C. The 17-50 is good enough, but apparently not quite as useful, and the 17-70 has better AF and perhaps better OS and detail resolution.

Richard

-- hide signature --
 richard stone's gear list:richard stone's gear list
Sigma sd Quattro Sigma SD10 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art
ChristianHass Veteran Member • Posts: 3,014
Re: When do you use other cameras?
1

My DP2M is my go-to camera, I rarely use anything else. It's not that it's perfect for every situation, it's more that most of the pictures I feel like taking are very well suited for the DP2M and I prefer the handling and the image files I get from it over my other cameras.

Using a single focal length and a sensor that has some very strong points and some very weak points means that there are shots I know I can't get, and that's ok. Life isn't about getting absolutely every single potential shot I come across, but coming home and looking at the processed files is usually an absolute pleasure.

Sometimes I'll use the DP3M instead if I know I'll want the extra reach, often I put my Ricoh GR in a pocket to have a wide angle option but I'll rarely use it.

My Sony A6300 is gathering dust in a drawer and I can see myself selling it in the near future. It's not a bad camera at all, but I find that all the buttons and settings and option available makes me spend more time fiddling with the camera than thinking about compositions and opportunities. It can do a million things I don't need, where the DP2M only has the functions I need and everything is simple and fast to operate. And there's just a "magic" in the Merrill files I don't see in the Sony files.

-- hide signature --
 ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Ricoh GR Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony RX100 II
mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 8,045
Re: When do you use other cameras?
1

My SD1M is for "fine art" like flowers and landscapes, but I use my NEX 7 with kit lens for "point and shoot" work, especially in dim light.

ColinLove Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: When do you use other cameras?

My X100F is my 'off the cuff' shooter, but for project orientated use, its my SD Quattro.

ColinLove Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: When do you use other cameras?

mike earussi wrote:

My SD1M is for "fine art" like flowers and landscapes, but I use my NEX 7 with kit lens for "point and shoot" work, especially in dim light.

The NEX7 is a great camera.

Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 12,389
Re: When do you use other cameras?

I take both, and I try to shoot with my Sigma SD Quattro H, but sometimes I just find that the Nikon D810 is necessary or more convenient. I may not be a good example, because I don't have a full compliment of excellent lenses for my Sigma. I'm seriously considering getting the exact same lens for my Sigma that I have on my Nikon (the reason I got the lens that I have on my Nikon), but ultimately, what I really want, is a set of excellent primes and two really good Art zooms for my Sigma (14-24mm f2.8 Art and 24-70mm f2.8 OS Art). My plan is to eventually get that lens you have (the 85mm f1.4 Art) to go with the two zooms, and I may get the 135mm f1.8 Art too. I already have a 70-300 OS lens, which I like, but sometimes I find the image quality lacking, so after getting those primes, I may get the 70-200mm f2.8 OS Sport. Then I'll have what's referred to in Nikon circles as the "holy trinity" of lenses (14-24 f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8, an 70-200mm f2.8), plus a couple of spectacular primes (the 85mm f1.4 Art and 135mm f1.8 Art). Maybe if I had that set of five lenses now, I would not use my Nikon much at all. In some cases I would still use it though, because I just don't trust my Sigma to shoot at ISO 400 and higher. With the Nikon I shoot at ISO 800 and ISO 1600 sometimes. I would still use it for those situations. That's really what I bought it for anyway.

There are other situations where I woud use the Nikon. Since the Nikon is much faster to operate, and since some subjects move a lot, I would need to use the Nikon for its quick focusing capability, and for the higher ISO necessary to shoot at higher shutter speeds in less than bright sunlight. For example, I shoot models in tunnels sometimes (no, not at night, but it does get pretty dark in there). To shoot at ISO 200 in the tunnel, I would have to slow my shutter speed down to 1/30 second or open up my aperture to f2.8 or at least f4, and that makes my depth of field too shallow. Either is not a good option.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
http://www.bigprintphotos.com

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma sd Quattro H Nikon D810 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +21 more
DMillier Forum Pro • Posts: 20,895
Re: When do you use other cameras?
1

Since I bought the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 1" sensor superzoom (supposedly for my partner's upcoming safari trip), I have found I use that almost all the time. For my purposes the image quality is indistinguishable from any other camera and the sheer convenience of an all-in-one camera that requires no additional lenses or accessories other than a spare battery is compelling.

I look at my DP2M in the cupboard from time to time but basically, I'm just very lazy

And there is something liberating about a one lens solution - especially as it is such a good lens.

-- hide signature --
Geerlings Regular Member • Posts: 235
Re: When do you use other cameras?

I stupidly sold my DP2M after running into a wall with it, so to speak. Harsh light and fall colors decided to play not so nice with it. I am thinking of buying another one off eBay in the near future, as I miss it a lot.

As far as other cameras used when I was using it as my primary... anything a ~43mm f/4 equivalent isn't suited for I suppose. Portraits, macro, telephoto/birding. That said, I got used to carrying nothing but my DP2M on most of my trips. As someone else on the thread stated, if I can't get the shot, I can't get it. Oh well.

Joris1632 Senior Member • Posts: 2,317
What other cameras?
2

Learned photography with slow (ISO 50/25) B&W film, later 100/200 color. My subjects haven't changed;- don't do sports, video, scampering infants or weddings  and funerals. I manage to restrain myself from photographing outdoors at night and for indoors have both studio flash and continuous lighting gear.  Ergo I feel no constraint by using Sigma cameras and find the 100% detail a boon as reference for my day job.

For normal human beings with a life to lead, I wonder why they would want to buy Sigma at all. Unless they are fortunate enough to be able to afford 2 (or more) systems.

With tongue in cheek.

George

-- hide signature --

Joris1632

Joris1632 Senior Member • Posts: 2,317
Re: When do you use other cameras?
6

Scottelly wrote:

I take both, and I try to shoot with my Sigma SD Quattro H, but sometimes I just find that the Nikon D810 is necessary or more convenient. I may not be a good example, because I don't have a full compliment of excellent lenses for my Sigma. I'm seriously considering getting the exact same lens for my Sigma that I have on my Nikon (the reason I got the lens that I have on my Nikon), but ultimately, what I really want, is a set of excellent primes and two really good Art zooms for my Sigma (14-24mm f2.8 Art and 24-70mm f2.8 OS Art). My plan is to eventually get that lens you have (the 85mm f1.4 Art) to go with the two zooms, and I may get the 135mm f1.8 Art too. I already have a 70-300 OS lens, which I like, but sometimes I find the image quality lacking, so after getting those primes, I may get the 70-200mm f2.8 OS Sport. Then I'll have what's referred to in Nikon circles as the "holy trinity" of lenses (14-24 f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8, an 70-200mm f2.8), plus a couple of spectacular primes (the 85mm f1.4 Art and 135mm f1.8 Art). Maybe if I had that set of five lenses now, I would not use my Nikon much at all. In some cases I would still use it though, because I just don't trust my Sigma to shoot at ISO 400 and higher. With the Nikon I shoot at ISO 800 and ISO 1600 sometimes. I would still use it for those situations. That's really what I bought it for anyway.

I really, honestly wonder why you bother with Sigma at all? Especially shooting OOC jpegs. It must be a GAS thing. You aspire to owning the very best/sharpest gear, where does photography come in?

There are other situations where I woud use the Nikon. Since the Nikon is much faster to operate, and since some subjects move a lot, I would need to use the Nikon for its quick focusing capability, and for the higher ISO necessary to shoot at higher shutter speeds in less than bright sunlight. For example, I shoot models in tunnels sometimes (no, not at night, but it does get pretty dark in there). To shoot at ISO 200 in the tunnel, I would have to slow my shutter speed down to 1/30 second or open up my aperture to f2.8 or at least f4, and that makes my depth of field too shallow. Either is not a good option.

So tell us the situations where you feel you  really need the sdQ-H and not the Nikon ......

Curious,

George

-- hide signature --

Joris1632

Johan Borg Senior Member • Posts: 2,718
Re: When do you use other cameras?
1

I only use a Sigma if I care enough to bring a real camera. Otherwise, and for video, my Note 8 will have to do. I have the Sigma EF-630 flash as well, which means I'm not limited indoors. Good light beats high ISO from any camera anyway.

Maybe I'll feel differently when I have an L-mount Sigma and can combine with a Leica or Panasonic body, we'll see...

ColinLove Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: When do you use other cameras?
5

I've tried to read this post 5 times, but kept nodding off.

Sorry.

Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 12,389
Re: When do you use other cameras?

Joris1632 wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

I take both, and I try to shoot with my Sigma SD Quattro H, but sometimes I just find that the Nikon D810 is necessary or more convenient. I may not be a good example, because I don't have a full compliment of excellent lenses for my Sigma. I'm seriously considering getting the exact same lens for my Sigma that I have on my Nikon (the reason I got the lens that I have on my Nikon), but ultimately, what I really want, is a set of excellent primes and two really good Art zooms for my Sigma (14-24mm f2.8 Art and 24-70mm f2.8 OS Art). My plan is to eventually get that lens you have (the 85mm f1.4 Art) to go with the two zooms, and I may get the 135mm f1.8 Art too. I already have a 70-300 OS lens, which I like, but sometimes I find the image quality lacking, so after getting those primes, I may get the 70-200mm f2.8 OS Sport. Then I'll have what's referred to in Nikon circles as the "holy trinity" of lenses (14-24 f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8, an 70-200mm f2.8), plus a couple of spectacular primes (the 85mm f1.4 Art and 135mm f1.8 Art). Maybe if I had that set of five lenses now, I would not use my Nikon much at all. In some cases I would still use it though, because I just don't trust my Sigma to shoot at ISO 400 and higher. With the Nikon I shoot at ISO 800 and ISO 1600 sometimes. I would still use it for those situations. That's really what I bought it for anyway.

I really, honestly wonder why you bother with Sigma at all? Especially shooting OOC jpegs. It must be a GAS thing. You aspire to owning the very best/sharpest gear, where does photography come in?

There are other situations where I woud use the Nikon. Since the Nikon is much faster to operate, and since some subjects move a lot, I would need to use the Nikon for its quick focusing capability, and for the higher ISO necessary to shoot at higher shutter speeds in less than bright sunlight. For example, I shoot models in tunnels sometimes (no, not at night, but it does get pretty dark in there). To shoot at ISO 200 in the tunnel, I would have to slow my shutter speed down to 1/30 second or open up my aperture to f2.8 or at least f4, and that makes my depth of field too shallow. Either is not a good option.

So tell us the situations where you feel you really need the sdQ-H and not the Nikon ......

Curious,

George

There was a time when I thought I would get a set of Sigma gear, and then finally get a D810, or its successor George. That time has come to pass, but since I don't have a full compliment of lenses for my Nikon yet, I shoot with my Sigma more than I otherwise might . . . except that my SD Quattro H has grown on me now, and I love the image quality I get from it . . . even the OOC jpegs.

When I finally get a Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 G, which is a lens I have wanted for years, there won't be much need for the Sigma, except that the image quality is a little better, as far as I'm concerned. I just wish I could get a wide lens as good as the Nikon, and maybe the 14-24mm f2.8 Art is, except it won't give me such a wide view, when I have it mounted on a 1.35x crop factor camera.

I'll stick with what I have for now, but since the Panasonic S1R came out, that is my new crush. I really like the look of the photos coming from those, and it seems to do high ISO even better than my D810. One nice thing is the ability to use my Sigma glass on it. I love that it does 4Kp60 too. If I get that S1R my SD Quattro H might not get much use anymore.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
http://www.bigprintphotos.com

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma sd Quattro H Nikon D810 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +21 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 12,389
Re: When do you use other cameras?

DMillier wrote:

Since I bought the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 1" sensor superzoom (supposedly for my partner's upcoming safari trip), I have found I use that almost all the time. For my purposes the image quality is indistinguishable from any other camera and the sheer convenience of an all-in-one camera that requires no additional lenses or accessories other than a spare battery is compelling.

I look at my DP2M in the cupboard from time to time but basically, I'm just very lazy

And there is something liberating about a one lens solution - especially as it is such a good lens.

I thing this is why I find myself leaving my Sigma behind, and just taking my Nikon D810 with the 24-135mm lens on it. Sometimes I miss having macro, and sometimes I wish I could shoot a wider or longer (more telephoto) shot, but most of the time the 24-135 does the trick. I've been thinking about getting the same lens for my SD Quattro H, and then supplementing that kit with a better wide lens than my 8-16 (something like the 14-24mm f2.8 Art). I'm still getting to know my 8-16 though.

A one-lens solution would be nice. I'm thinking a 20-200mm f4 IS Sport that's just a bit better than the 60-600.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
http://www.bigprintphotos.com

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma sd Quattro H Nikon D810 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +21 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 12,389
Re: When do you use other cameras?
1

ColinLove wrote:

I've tried to read this post 5 times, but kept nodding off.

Sorry.

Trouble sleeping? Glad to be of help with that.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
http://www.bigprintphotos.com

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma sd Quattro H Nikon D810 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +21 more
Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 4,201
Re: When do you use other cameras?
1

My main camera is the Monochrom.

When I want a colour sidekick-camera, the DP2 is a really nice and compact choice, with a superb lens. On sunny days, I might also take it as my main or only camera.

 Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sigma DP2 Ricoh Caplio GX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Fujifilm X-T1 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads