long life for m sIs true ystem

Started Apr 20, 2019 | Discussions
Photologging Forum Member • Posts: 52
long life for m sIs true ystem

Right now there is kind of an uncerntainty on the m system. Canon’s saying that the M will be around for a while doesn’t help.

It’s true that that the 32mm 1.4 sounds like an effort to show their commitment with this system, but it is too isolated.

I’m afraid of buying a M camera because i dont know if i will get upgrades, in terms of lenses and cameras.

In my opinion, with full frame mirrorless canon rp weighting 480 gr. there is no point in a rf mount aps-c camera, Apart for the extra reach of lenses.

M system is the only one that can offer a truly compact camera, something that it’s appreciated by many of us. But now we see that the m50 weighs almost the same as the new RP.

Resuming: canon should make clear their commitment with M systems by releasing more more high quality lenses, and smaller prosumer cameras

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP Photologging Forum Member • Posts: 52
Re: long life for the M system

i wanted to title it “long life for the M system”

Baron_Karza
Baron_Karza New Member • Posts: 18
Re: long life for the M system

M system native lenses can be much smaller than the R's, so overall it's a much smaller system. M system also cost a lot less.

Also, you can look at it as having a real nice small travel camera w/2 native lense at about the cost of a high end P&S camera (eg, Sony DSC-RX100 IV, Panasonic DC-LX100 II).  The P&S are a little smaller, but have NO lens options at all.   I have the M50 with the 2 kit lenses plus 3 EF lenses.

Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,340
Re: long life for m sIs true ystem

Photologging wrote:

Right now there is kind of an uncerntainty on the m system. Canon’s saying that the M will be around for a while doesn’t help.

If Canon’s actually saying that the M will be around for a while doesn’t help then probably nothing will help.

It’s true that that the 32mm 1.4 sounds like an effort to show their commitment with this system, but it is too isolated.

In the last three years Canon have brought out three EF-M lenses and two EF-S lenses. Right now they're concentrating on the RF mount cameras and lenses because that's where the money is. Having said that, the EF-M range is quite workable if you think it should comprise compact, inexpensive and quite good lenses. A rectilinear lens wider than the 11-22mm would be nice but I think there's a very limited market for one. It's missing a fisheye but the Samyang EF-M mount one is excellent and doesn't suffer from not being autofocus. It's missing a fast 15mm and a fast 50mm. The Samyang EF-M mount 50mm f/1.2 is at least as big as the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 on its adapter, heavier and more expensive even without autofocus. The price of the EF 50mm f/1.8 makes producing a fast EF-M 50mm very difficult for Canon to do. I would be very tempted by a fast 62mm but I'm not holding my breath there. For anything longer, an EF lens on the adapter probably makes more sense.

I’m afraid of buying a M camera because i dont know if i will get upgrades, in terms of lenses and cameras.

If you don't, you certainly won't. What upgrades do you think you will need?

In my opinion, with full frame mirrorless canon rp weighting 480 gr. there is no point in a rf mount aps-c camera, Apart for the extra reach of lenses.

I agree with you there, with the possible exception of an APS-C action-type camera. There's no point in RF mount APS-C lenses when Canon already make EF-S and EF-M lenses.

M system is the only one that can offer a truly compact camera, something that it’s appreciated by many of us. But now we see that the m50 weighs almost the same as the new RP.

Resuming: canon should make clear their commitment with M systems by releasing more more high quality lenses, and smaller prosumer cameras

dwfrommonterey Regular Member • Posts: 258

We all have our analyses...here's mine.

The FF format is already larger than necessary for professional quality work, and over time, will lose out to some smaller sensor standard size, as the sensors improve.

It's cheaper to make lenses for smaller sensor, and lots of lenses are possible for smaller sensors that are just not possible for full frame.  Cf the tiny sensors in the super zooms, with 125x zoom, and 18-400 for APS-C.

FF will continue of course, much as 120 film cameras continued after 35mm had conquered 95% of the market.

Once the big money is somewhere other than FF, the development efforts will follow the money.  FF will become low volume and very expensive.

By 2030, or even 2025, the big money will be in some smaller sized sensor. It might be APS-C.  It might be in something tiny. It won't be in FF.

And for sure, the big money won't go anywhere near a mirror.

dwfrommonterey's gear list:dwfrommonterey's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D7200 Canon EOS M5
JDR1429 Forum Member • Posts: 92

I agree with dwfrommonterey's comments.

Here's my thoughts.

One reason camera sales are down is because camera stores, youtube videos, the 20 years olds working at Best Buy all push FF with no crop 4K video. They quote the stat sheet and guilt you into believing your photography experience will be lacking if don't take advantage of the FF benefits. After hearing this, people go and upgrade their cell phone.

Over the past 6 months, I've asked 4 camera store employees that I know fairly well what they thought of the M system. They all said, "I don't like it". When I ask why, NONE of them gave me a good reason. Other than , "I just don't like it". C'mon!

So I bought an M5 off of craigslist and took it on vacation.

After using it, I personally love this idea. I can go light, medium or heavy. I can go small, midsize or large, depending what I want to do.

Maybe if Canon added a better 15-45 kit lens people would feel better. I've found the 18-150 is pretty good and if I want better, then I can adapter other lenses and still save nearly a pound of weight carrying it around off the body.

I believe the Canon M system offers great flexibility and you can pick your price points. I think when camera sales become too low, the market will shift to the APS-C sensor, even M43 if development continues on. FF is just the trend right now and most enthusiast photographers aren't going to want to invest in 2k lenses in the RF or Sony systems to maintain it. They will come around.

JDR1429's gear list:JDR1429's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M5 Olympus E-M5 III +20 more
dwfrommonterey Regular Member • Posts: 258

Over the past 6 months, I've asked 4 camera store employees that I know fairly well what they thought of the M system. They all said, "I don't like it".

Price/performance != good comission.

dwfrommonterey's gear list:dwfrommonterey's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D7200 Canon EOS M5
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 21,079
Not to worry...

Your question(s) wind up being asked in a variety of postings that seemingly happen on a weekly basis on this forum.  I know, I'm one of those offenders that have asked this question once or twice before.

I don't think you have to worry much as indications are that coming this year there will be more new M model camera releases and perhaps one or two more lenses.  One thing is for certain, don't let your reservations cloud the fact that the Canon EOS M system is just plain ole' fun to use with superb results.

Of all of the APS-C mirrorless options out there, you will find the Canon EOS M system is the smallest - even smaller in size than many of the larger Micro 4/3 cameras out there today - now think about that.

Also, with the exception of one of the kit lenses - where copy-to-copy variations in optical qualities do exist, the EOS M lenses (which have the designation EF-M) are superb optically and sized accordingly.

Take it from a certified "camera slut" like myself that has used (and is still using) a variety of different brand cameras, I'm banking on the presumption that you'll find the EOS M system quite appealing in a number of ways.  And the folks on this forum are here to help you as you go along.

-- hide signature --

Life can be good - if you allow it!
Bernd ("Ben") Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina USA

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X30 Olympus E-330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads