Canon 70-300 mm IS USM II on Canon 80D

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
AhmedH87 New Member • Posts: 11
Canon 70-300 mm IS USM II on Canon 80D

Hallo Everyone,

I recently purchased the Canon 70-300 mm IS USM II for my Canon 80D  and I was wondering, if anyone has tried a TC on this lens?

I tried the Kenko 2.0X DGX Teleplus HD but it gave me Err 01 on the Camera. One of the claims was, that the Nano USM won't be compatible with the TCs... Neither from Canon nor from Kenko or any other third party..

Would be so glad to know your experience about it..

Thanks

Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sueanne
sueanne Forum Pro • Posts: 20,993
Re: Canon 70-300 mm IS USM II on Canon 80D

It should work//// Look on Canon for update  B&H

hmedH87 wrote:

Hallo Everyone,

I recently purchased the Canon 70-300 mm IS USM II for my Canon 80D and I was wondering, if anyone has tried a TC on this lens?

I tried the Kenko 2.0X DGX Teleplus HD but it gave me Err 01 on the Camera. One of the claims was, that the Nano USM won't be compatible with the TCs... Neither from Canon nor from Kenko or any other third party..

Would be so glad to know your experience about it..

Thanks

sueanne's gear list:sueanne's gear list
Canon PowerShot A510 Canon PowerShot A650 IS Canon PowerShot SD880 IS Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon PowerShot S110 +3 more
OP AhmedH87 New Member • Posts: 11

Hi Sueanne,

I am afraid that I didn't get your reply. I do have the latest firmware installed on my Canon obtained from the official Canon website...

Could you explain more what you have just proposed?

Thanks!

benjilafouine Senior Member • Posts: 2,055

Canon is not supposed to be able to autofocus at apertures slower than f5.6 although I have read about a few cheats. At f8 you may be just out of luck.

Example: with my 70-200 f2.8, I lose two stops when using my 2x teleconverter. At f5.6, this is supported by Canon.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
There is always something to shoot/snap, you just have to know how to do it and have the right gear.
Benji

benjilafouine's gear list:benjilafouine's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 40D +12 more
KrampusClaus Regular Member • Posts: 285

f/8 'viewfinder' AF may not work or low contrast at f/8.

but f/8 AF may work and a recent mag. article i read about all non pro canon dslrs also indicated f/8 possible for 80D and 7DII (iirc).

i think it is likely lens dependent as well.

but then not many f/8 base lens around so ????

see pg 131 manual.

GL!

benjilafouine wrote:

Canon is not supposed to be able to autofocus at apertures slower than f5.6 although I have read about a few cheats. At f8 you may be just out of luck.

Example: with my 70-200 f2.8, I lose two stops when using my 2x teleconverter. At f5.6, this is supported by Canon.

KrampusClaus's gear list:KrampusClaus's gear list
Canon EF 400mm F2.8L III Canon EF 600mm F4L IS III

I think then we can conclude that the f 4-5.6 range will only be compatible with the 1.4X versions but not the 2.0X? I think this setup worth trying..

Also, the incompatibility of the NanoUSM with the TCs is a calim that I received from Kenko UK, but generally I would be interested on how the AF shall perform on this lens with the TC? It is normally super quick without it.

gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 1,587

benjilafouine wrote:

The 80D has 27 AF points that officially work at f/8. The center group in red will still use cross-type sensors, whereas the others fall back to line sensors at f/8 with the extender.

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +1 more

Thanks George! Now that it's official and @ 300 mm (equiv. to 480 mm) and f5.6 (equiv. f7.84), what shall I expect in terms of image sharpness and/or ISO noise? Taking in to account, that this setup is meant for BF, where high shutter speeds and quick focus are inevitable.

Have you tried this lens with the 1.4X TC on Canon 80D yourself?

gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 1,587

AhmedH87 wrote:

Thanks George! Now that it's official and @ 300 mm (equiv. to 480 mm) and f5.6 (equiv. f7.84), what shall I expect in terms of image sharpness and/or ISO noise? Taking in to account, that this setup is meant for BF, where high shutter speeds and quick focus are inevitable.

I do not have a teleconverter so I can not attest to the sharpness.

The camera focus is dependent on the actual f/number of the lens, not any "equivalent" number. At 300mm, that is f/5.6. With a 1.4x TC, that is f/8. The only reason why ISO noise would change is because you will be shooting with a stop slower lens, so with the same shutter speed your ISO will necessarily double.

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +1 more

gscotten wrote:

AhmedH87 wrote:

The camera focus is dependent on the actual f/number of the lens, not any "equivalent" number. At 300mm, that is f/5.6. With a 1.4x TC, that is f/8. The only reason why ISO noise would change is because you will be shooting with a stop slower lens, so with the same shutter speed your ISO will necessarily double.

I ordered the DGX 1.4X and I will give it a try.. I will make sure that everybody here knows the results as I didn't find any useful information elsewhere about this experiment.. Thank you again!

AhmedH87 wrote:

gscotten wrote:

AhmedH87 wrote:

I ordered the DGX 1.4X and I will give it a chance.. I will make sure that everybody here knows the results as I didn't find any useful information elsewhere about this experiment.. Thank you again!

One thing is sure: it will work in manual focus. Keep us updated.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
There is always something to shoot/snap, you just have to know how to do it and have the right gear.
Benji

Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 40D +12 more

benjilafouine wrote:

AhmedH87 wrote:

gscotten wrote:

AhmedH87 wrote:

I ordered the DGX 1.4X and I will give it a chance.. I will make sure that everybody here knows the results as I didn't find any useful information elsewhere about this experiment.. Thank you again!

One thing is sure: it will work in manual focus. Keep us updated.

I will! I've actually tried to fix the aperture at f5.6 on the 300 and tried to shoot with the AF and IS turned off on the lens and with an aperture priority modus with the 2.0X TC. I could "get around" the Err 01 and manually focus on a range of what believed to be 960 (300*1.6*2), but the the ISO was so high that the photo was totally rubbish (as seen in the view finder). The camera gave me back the Err 01 as soon as I clicked the shutter button. I was lucky for once to capture a photo, but its quality was horrible and generally that was not exactly what I was looking for when I thought of using a TC on that lens so I decided to send the TC back and try the 1.4X version after pooling your opinions.

Hi all,

I have just received the Kenko Teleplus HD pro 1.4X DGX Tele Converter via post today's morning and I gave it a try.

I tried it on my Canon 70-300 mm IS USM ll on the manual mode of Canon 80D and it gave me AGAIN the 'Err 01' message. I made sure that I am shooting in the f5.6 on the 300 mm range and the results was nothing.

I am a bit disappointed now after trying both the 2.0X and the 1.4X, but it seems to me that this lens is not ready to be coupled with any TC despite the camera's capability to focus on f8 with the 27 AF points.

I won't give up on it and I will probably going to try other 1.4X TCs, hopefully the malfunction was a result of this particular version of Kenko TCs.

I will keep you informed!

Regards,

Ahmed

AhmedH87 wrote:

Hi all,

I have just received the Kenko Teleplus HD pro 1.4X DGX Tele Converter via post today's morning and I gave it a try.

I tried it on my Canon 70-300 mm IS USM ll on the manual mode of Canon 80D and it gave me AGAIN the 'Err 01' message. I made sure that I am shooting in the f5.6 on the 300 mm range and the results was nothing.

If you can't go past the Err 01 message does this means that you cannot even take a picture in manual focus mode?

I am a bit disappointed now after trying both the 2.0X and the 1.4X, but it seems to me that this lens is not ready to be coupled with any TC despite the camera's capability to focus on f8 with the 27 AF points.

I won't give up on it and I will probably going to try other 1.4X TCs, hopefully the malfunction was a result of this particular version of Kenko TCs.

Regards,

Ahmed

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Benji

I tried everything.. On the manual camera mode:

1- AF on lens on: Err 01 right after switching the camera on

2- AF and IS on the lens on: Err 01 right after switching the camera on

3- AF on the lens off: camera switched normally, tried to manual focus on f5. 6/300 mm, getting Err 01 message right away when pressing the shutter button

I am desperate 😞

AhmedH87 wrote:

3- AF on the lens off: camera switched normally, tried to manual focus on f5. 6/300 mm, getting Err 01 message right away when pressing the shutter button

I am desperate 😞

Guess it won't work then. I have a Canon 70-200 mm f2.8 with a 2x extender that gives beautiful pictures (but it is quite expensive). Not the perfect setup for birds in flight but it works. Some people also like the Tamron 150-600 mm and they love it and it is not that expensive. Maybe you should start saving for a setup like that.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Benji

benjilafouine wrote:

AhmedH87 wrote:

I am desperate 😞

Guess it won't work then. I have a Canon 70-200 mm f2.8 with a 2x extender that gives beautiful pictures (but it is quite expensive). Not the perfect setup for birds in flight but it works. Some people also like the Tamron 150-600 mm and they love it and it is not that expensive. Maybe you should start saving for a setup like that.

I have heard about the Tamron 150-600 mm and seen some of its photos. It looks fine but no idea how it performs in action, in terms of BIF.

I owned the Canon 100 mm L f2.8 Macro long before the 70-300 mm lens and the TC was the idea that sparked back then to extend the 100 mm. Plus I wanted to make use of its sharpness which is as brilliant as the canon 70-200 mm. A con here is it is a prime lens, so I am a bit confined.

Let's see how the current 70-300 mm will perform in BIF with the NanoUSM and then may be decide to upgrade. On the canon 80D I could reach to up to 480 mm, so let's get this lens dirty before upgrading to Tamron 150-600.

Let's see how the current 70-300 mm will perform in BIF with the NanoUSM and then may be decide to upgrade. On the canon 80D I could reach to up to 480 mm, so let's get this lens dirty before upgrading to Tamron 150-600.

At 300 mm you will definitely have some heavy cropping to do but if your lens can focus quickly then you should be able to get some results.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Benji

benjilafouine wrote:

At 300 mm you will definitely have some heavy cropping to do but if your lens can focus quickly then you should be able to get some results.

I will get it in action shortly.. Mainly targeting BIF..

Will be glad if you followed me on FLICKR:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33276974@N02/

jvc1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,346

AhmedH87 wrote:

Hi all,

Regards,

Ahmed

With the 80d, of Canon's own TC's, only the 1.4 III will autofocus @ f/8. Versions 1 and 2 will not. I'd be surprised if any 3rd party TC would work.

-- hide signature --

I keep some of my favorite pictures here,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129958940@N03/

jvc1's gear list:jvc1's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads